Is Halo Dad?

• Halo is mom

Votes: 134 23.0%
  • Halo is dad

Votes: 244 41.9%
  • The Place that Shall Not Be Named is extra-dad

Votes: 205 35.2%

• Total voters
Isn’t this was they did with Halo 5? Let the community and MLG decide how the competitive side should be. There is a reason why MLG MAPS WAS PRIMARILY FOUNDRY and forge MAPS.
yes and no. halo 5's multiplayer was designed to be competitive, with pro involvement in making it and a unified vision between competitive and casual. The weak post launch support in maps has nothing to do with this decision.

this article, at least how i'm interpreting it, is saying that halo infinite will again be developed with competitive gaming in mind, but at a larger scale.

the article mentions how it is viewed which i would expect means a better thought out and feature packed observer mode (something halo 5 had added post launch). it may also mean more ingrained ways to share/stream (in a post mixer buy out world).

the article also mentions a bigger focus up front of what their esports will be, the roll they'll have in it, and what i read as doing what it takes to make it something that can grow. if you've followed halo 5's esport scene it has been all over the place in terms of overall direction, 343 involvement in promotion, tournament formats and tournament organizers, and team organizations. halo 5 moved from a weekly online proleague with a set 8 teams to more of a traditional open format focused on lans. lan wasnt even available at launch in halo 5! we went from the infamous handling of hcs through esl to MLG, but we've also been bleeding major orgs since the beginning. hell, optic dropped their top 1-2 team!

i took this article as great news as it sounds like they learned from their mistakes and will set the ground work for halo infinite to be a much more successful esport.

lets just get halo to be a solid halo at launch again. halo already has so many expectations on what it needs at launch and a bit of an identity crisis on what halo is, we really dont need to complicate and convolute that discussion further.

as others have said, it could be a worth while side project - but not for halo infinite.

Not sure if any of this has been posted before, but I was procrastinating and snooping around on the 343i website job listings and found some possible details on Infinite, albeit kind of obvious ones.

You will oversee and provide vision for multiple facets of design and its implementation. This includes: Progression in- and out-of-game; microtransactions and integration of our business plan throughout the game; and, finally, social and engagement features that encourage players to return again and again with their friends.
Implement weapons/vehicles/player abilities from paper design to polished experience under the guidance of the Sandbox Director
Pretty expected, but I just hope they don't repeat the big mistakes of Halo 5 in these departments; grinding for armor in REQ Packs was one of the most tedious and un-fun experiences I've ever had in a Halo game, and it doesn't help that you can barely customize what you get. The point about out-of-game progression is interesting though, I wonder what that's about?

Player abilities mentioned, while not surprising, is at least a little disappointing- and this is coming from a big fan of h5. Still hoping they are at least greatly dialed back.

So does this inadvertently confirm loot boxes? Can't say I'm a fan of that, but at least that leaves room for whatever will be monetized to not be tied to RNG.
The game having loot boxes after the success of Halo 5 doesn't really surprise me. This is certainly an interesting wrinkle on possible monetization strategies though. I guess the framing of the tweet means you can still have a system where you could outright buy the armor you wanted, for instance, or just get it in the random REQ packs.

ITS LIKE YALL DONT WANT TO TEAR AROUND A GIGANTIC MAP WITH A WARTHOG CATCHING AIR AND ENJOYING FRIENDSHIP!!

Yeah the idea of stat based loot randomly found around the map sounds just wrong too me.
"stat based" if you mean like fortnite, where certain versions of the same weapon are better?
I dont think thats even a slight consideration. In my mind it would be the same way that Warzone/Blackout work in that the base weapon is the same but it has various attachments that add utility to it without changing properties.

As the doc mentions, If they could find a way to make it work with static item spawns, I’d be pretty interested, but I don’t know how they’d handle the start of the round. Airdrops would make make for a clusterfuck if power up/weapon spawns aren’t handled right.
I think it could actually be pretty cool, imagine trying to drop at The Pit, knowing there are rockets at back mid, so do you try and rush for that and potentially have to use it right away, or play to the side, pick up nades, br, etc and try to out-play the team going for the power weapons.

It would be an interesting dynamic of, do I use the power weapons right off the bat just to survive the initial encounter? or try and horde them for a later game scenario.
Then imagine that taking place at multiple points in the map all at once.

Or as per usual, you could "drop soft" and just loot around some no-named unsc structures for some primary weapons and a vehicle and try to out-position your opponents.

edit: I would be okay with one form of randomization in the frame of supply drops that contain power weapons/powerups delivered in the same way that PUBG, Blackout, Fortnite do it. They create mini power swings and potential to recreate that beginning game scenario of trying to secure power weapons.

but I’m still not of the opinion that single life, 1v100 Halo is a grest idea. Successfully Contesting a power up against 3 others, but immediately dying because some asshole cleans you up before your shield return sounds annoying...
I mean, you would have a DBNO state, so just because someone "killed" you doesnt mean you are immediately done for good (unless youre in solos) and Halo has one of the longest TTK out there, usually with chances for reversals.

side note, You think one life in Halo sucks, imagine playing PUBG for 30 minutes killin and lootin only to have some asshole whose been prone in a bush for 10 minutes 2 tap you in the back of the head. Halo would atleast be more forgiving than that.

Honestly, Blackout had a really nice mix of TTK/Combat Healing/Potential for Reversals

It was more fun at launch because no one unlocked all the super powerful shit yet and developed sweaty team of 12 strats. lol
good lord 100% this, warzone got so fucking sweaty it was unplayable

Real talk. I know it's not gonna happen but a proper BR game with Halo 5 gameplay with the the amount of locales and sandbox elements you already have at your disposal would be so dope.
Man I wish we had access to DBNO mechanics for customs because Im tellin ya a smaller scale, (round-based even?), BR with 5 mechanics would be alot of fun as a custom game

grinding for armor in REQ Packs was one of the most tedious and un-fun experiences I've ever had in a Halo game
legitimately awful. The best scenario I can hope for is that there is also a Halo Reach-esque Armory where I can specifically buy individual armor pieces.

That could co-exist with H5 REQ Packs in that to buy an individual item could be very very expensive, but packs are much cheaper with the chance of what you want.

I would pay alot of in game money (and dont judge me, maybe real money) to get geared up in Mk V from head to tippie toe, but it would be a big grind and I would be okay with that.

The never knowing how long or how many points it would take to get what you want in 5 was infuriating.

Player abilities mentioned, while not surprising, is at least a little disappointing- and this is coming from a big fan of h5. Still hoping they are at least greatly dialed back.
"going back to basics" / "player abilities"
Kinda feel like you gotta pick one, right?

but seriously, Halo vehicles are so damn good. I want every opportunity to use them, BR lets go.

Last edited:

Stinkles

343 Industries
Verified
ITS LIKE YALL DONT WANT TO TEAR AROUND A GIGANTIC MAP WITH A WARTHOG CATCHING AIR AND ENJOYING FRIENDSHIP!!
I was doing that yesterday in a test. I had to tell a young person that insane physics things happening to the vehicle and occupants when they drove into a grenade and rocket launcher trap was by design.

While it looks like fun on paper, ( ahem breakout) but in practice with Halo sandbox . Idk...

I'd solo in BR ... and if I get one shot from the magnetism autoaim of a sniper or cross mapped by a dmr ... Where my chance to fight back really depends on how kucky I am with my first weapon I'd be really pissed.

Look at the engagements in Halo btb or warone, how many times was someone out in the open and just obliterated? There was a reason why there was so much cover.

Maybe a Halo 2 style of BR where squads start with warthogs but the new h5 sandbox doesn't look like it would work imo

"going back to basics" / "player abilities"
Kinda feel like you gotta pick one, right?
not sure why "going back to basics" is in quotes when quoting me - i dont recall saying that halo needed to do that. but, since you brought it up, no i dont think its one or the other. i want abilities AND a back to basics feel. i think i'd be perfectly happy with a halo that took much of what halo 5 added but dialed back a bit. i'm ok with abilities, just dont want to have to use paddles to feel i can play the game. sprint i'd lean to remove. but the all or nothing dilema you are presenting i dont think is the reality. of course this is IMO, i'm no game designer (and freely admit playing anything i may think i'd like would be an absolute disaster!), and ymmv

Quick question. I heard this game was now xbox one x enhanced, I know I downloaded a huge update recently but the game icon doesnt come up under xbox one x enhanced games on my tabs. Is this gow it is for everyone?

Quick question. I heard this game was now xbox one x enhanced, I know I downloaded a huge update recently but the game icon doesnt come up under xbox one x enhanced games on my tabs. Is this gow it is for everyone?
yes, that tab just pulls info from the xbox store, and for whatever reason the MCC hasn't been given that tag yet

I was doing that yesterday in a test. I had to tell a young person that insane physics things happening to the vehicle and occupants when they drove into a grenade and rocket launcher trap was by design.
this put a huge smile on my face :)

EDIT: to add to this - for the longest time if someone had asked what made halo special i couldnt help but mention being chased by a warthog only to narrowly escape getting run over by flipping the hog over your head with a well placed grenade. thats what i want, maybe more than anything, to return to 343's halo.

Last edited:
While it looks like fun on paper, ( ahem breakout) but in practice with Halo sandbox . Idk...

I'd solo in BR ... and if I get one shot from the magnetism autoaim of a sniper or cross mapped by a dmr ... Where my chance to fight back really depends on how lucky I am with my first weapon I'd be really pissed.

Look at the engagements in Halo btb or warone, how many times was someone out in the open and just obliterated? There was a reason why there was so much cover.

Maybe a Halo 2 style of BR where squads start with warthogs but the new h5 sandbox doesn't look like it would work imo
obviously the halo sniper damage seems discouraging, but ya know what happens when someone sees you running in the open in pubg, Fortnite, blackout, and headshots you with a high powered sniper?

you die.

and those games are doing just fine.

the Halo sniper is the one single weapon that makes me question how it works, but we have to free our mind and think outside the box, in BR game modes, sometimes you do die right away, and ya know what, you just drop right back in. Also, br maps have tons and tons of cover for that exact reason, this would be no different.

Even today I was thinking, why are we so stuck on 100 players, I really want to see BFV with only 64, I think Halo BR could also work at a lower player count just so the matches are shorter and there's more pvp interaction time.

I also think PVE would be awesome and I'm interested to see how the zombies in blackout pan out long term because I could easily see that exact gameplay scenario working in Halo really well.

time will tell, but I see it clear as day, and if 343 wont do it, atleast let me do it in forge, I'll show yall.

In what universe wasn't Halo Infinite going to be a live service? And just because something is a live service, we don't even know what that entails yet because we have no details. This just comes off as hyperbolic with a lot of assumptions.

In what universe wasn't Halo Infinite going to be a live service? And just because something is a live service, we don't even know what that entails yet because we have no details. This just comes off as hyperbolic with a lot of assumptions.
Multiplayer game intends to keep players engaged and coming back for more. Shocker. Yeah, these videos are my pet peeve.

"stat based" if you mean like fortnite, where certain versions of the same weapon are better?
I dont think thats even a slight consideration. In my mind it would be the same way that Warzone/Blackout work in that the base weapon is the same but it has various attachments that add utility to it without changing properties.
I think Halo plays best when you can instantly identify your opponents weapons and health capabilities at a glance rather than being surprised by his/her utility or survivability. As long as that dynamic is preserved, I can approve.

I think it could actually be pretty cool, imagine trying to drop at The Pit, knowing there are rockets at back mid, so do you try and rush for that and potentially have to use it right away, or play to the side, pick up nades, br, etc and try to out-play the team going for the power weapons.
I think that sounds cool for squads- less so for solos. I still think delayed spawns would be better- you still have the drama of static hotspot, but you’ll see more posturing for control rather than scrambling.

It would be an interesting dynamic of, do I use the power weapons right off the bat just to survive the initial encounter? or try and horde them for a later game scenario.
Then imagine that taking place at multiple points in the map all at once.

Or as per usual, you could "drop soft" and just loot around some no-named unsc structures for some primary weapons and a vehicle and try to out-position your opponents.
You’d still have this dynamic with staggered spawns, just minus the mad dash after the airdrop.

edit: I would be okay with one form of randomization in the frame of supply drops that contain power weapons/powerups delivered in the same way that PUBG, Blackout, Fortnite do it. They create mini power swings and potential to recreate that beginning game scenario of trying to secure power weapons.
This doesn’t excite me, nor does it disgust me

I mean, you would have a DBNO state, so just because someone "killed" you doesnt mean you are immediately done for good (unless youre in solos) and Halo has one of the longest TTK out there, usually with chances for reversals.
I was mainly talking about solos.

But long TTKs favor the guy that came late to the party. That’s why many people want a powerful, but difficult utility weapon in halo. A low min TTK, but a high avg TTK. So that guy who took damage securing an area isn’t a complete sitting duck when a fresh spawner shows up to reap the rewards.

side note, You think one life in Halo sucks, imagine playing PUBG for 30 minutes killin and lootin only to have some asshole whose been prone in a bush for 10 minutes 2 tap you in the back of the head. Halo would atleast be more forgiving than that.

Honestly, Blackout had a really nice mix of TTK/Combat Healing/Potential for Reversals
I feel like it could potentially be worse in halo if combat dynamics aren’t handled properly. I think this is a large part of the reason breakout didn’t work. People didn’t like the random kills that came with having no shields. But they also didn’t like the snowbally, teamshot meta inherent to having full shields with a weak utility. So then they tried to treat the shotgun as a strong utility, ala Gears of War, but it’s way too easy to use. My fear is these problematic approaches to design will only amplify the frustration when there are more parties in the field of play.

Last edited:
I can understand it kinda. Halo 5 launched with too many missing features, modes, etc. and people are just afraid that this will be the case again. However, I also think that people are reading too much into the live service thing. Some people are probably expecting an other Sea of Thieves scenario, but what's probably going to happen is just 343i applying the H5 DLC model to Halo: Infinite with some changes and additions. That model made them more revenue than any other Halo DLC before that, so why would they deviate from it?

Halo speculation has always been like that. The cycle continues.

GaaS has become a dirty word because people instantly associate it with incomplete launches and predatory monetization, like loot boxes.

A live service just means that continued support is incentivized by a continuous revenue stream.

What did people expect? No post launch support?

Can't trust things nowadays. While it has long production cycle, we don't know if there has been internal reboots or whatever else. There are occasionally games with longer development times and still lacking features and stuff.

Can't trust things nowadays. While it has long production cycle, we don't know if there has been internal reboots or whatever else. There are occasionally games with longer development times and still lacking features and stuff.
My point was that to use the fact that halo infinite will be designed with post launch support in mind, like all online multiplayer games are doing (retaining players long term), tells you nothing about the amount of content it will launch with. And the fact that we are looking at least 4-5 years of development between releases should at least encourage us to be more optimistic on the quantity of content available at launch. To use the information we know to say anything different is frankly fear mongering, drama, clickbait.

obviously the halo sniper damage seems discouraging, but ya know what happens when someone sees you running in the open in pubg, Fortnite, blackout, and headshots you with a high powered sniper?

you die.

and those games are doing just fine.

the Halo sniper is the one single weapon that makes me question how it works, but we have to free our mind and think outside the box, in BR game modes, sometimes you do die right away, and ya know what, you just drop right back in. Also, br maps have tons and tons of cover for that exact reason, this would be no different.

Even today I was thinking, why are we so stuck on 100 players, I really want to see BFV with only 64, I think Halo BR could also work at a lower player count just so the matches are shorter and there's more pvp interaction time.

I also think PVE would be awesome and I'm interested to see how the zombies in blackout pan out long term because I could easily see that exact gameplay scenario working in Halo really well.

time will tell, but I see it clear as day, and if 343 wont do it, atleast let me do it in forge, I'll show yall.
i just think they would need to perform a very drastic weapon, speed, movement balance change and sandbox change to make it fair.

I'm basing this all off of their continuation on Halo 5. Warzone is probably the closest thing we see with the biggest player count. using what we have with halo right now, how can that be improved and shift to a BR? It brings up more questions than answers.

and in fortnite the weapons act very different than how halo weapons shoot, same with blackout. blackout wasnt as frustrating as fortnite though. blackout worked as i played as a solo each match and i did not feel it being unfair at all.

what happens when someone finds a legendary sword and becomes invis? or a hammer, gernade launcher, homing rocket launcher, needler, light rifle, etc.

i think there are a lot more power weapons that would make balancing an issue with BR. but i am open to be proven wrong as i'd like to TEST it out on a playlist they could introduce AFTER infinite is launched as a full HALO game first.
i just dont want them to allocate resources like they did with breakout, and look how that died. RIP one life halo with rounds.

i just think they would need to perform a very drastic weapon, speed, movement balance change and sandbox change to make it fair.
I feel you, personally I dont think so, but I get it. Assuming there is an "armor/shield" component also which is seemingly standard in BR you cant think of it as it being identical mechanics to standard Halo also

in fortnite the weapons act very different than how halo weapons shoot, same with blackout. blackout wasnt as frustrating as fortnite though. blackout worked as i played as a solo each match and i did not feel it being unfair at all.

what happens when someone finds a legendary sword and becomes invis? or a hammer, grenade launcher, homing rocket launcher, needler, light rifle, etc.
my dude, I think you are letting fortnite jade you too much, fortnite is an unbalanced, low skill gap, corner peeking, game for kids. You cant think at all in terms of Fortnite, nowhere in my head canon does the Halo BR ever have an invisible legendary sword or person to person homing rockets.

You are so worried about what could go wrong that you are finding any excuse to make it happen, take a deep breath my man. The Halo Sandbox is awesome, we dont need all those superfluous REQ weapons and shit. Just keep it basic.

I feel you, personally I dont think so, but I get it. Assuming there is an "armor/shield" component also which is seemingly standard in BR you cant think of it as it being identical mechanics to standard Halo also

my dude, I think you are letting fortnite jade you too much, fortnite is an unbalanced, low skill gap, corner peeking, game for kids. You cant think at all in terms of Fortnite, nowhere in my head canon does the Halo BR ever have an invisible legendary sword or person to person homing rockets.

You are so worried about what could go wrong that you are finding any excuse to make it happen, take a deep breath my man. The Halo Sandbox is awesome, we dont need all those superfluous REQ weapons and shit. Just keep it basic.
I see where he’s coming from, though.

I definitely think we need a better sandbox approach than what we got out of H5 and Warzone in order for BR to work.

I’m starting to come around to the idea that Halo BR could work (especially squads), but in terms of design philosophy, I’m not confident the current trajectory would get us there.

You're right. Im caught up on how it can go wrong instead of what it can do right.
Its all good my dude, we got 2 years to wait, lets just stay positive lol

I see where he’s coming from, though.

I definitely think we need a better sandbox approach than what we got out of H5 and Warzone in order for BR to work.

I’m starting to come around to the idea that Halo BR could work (especially squads), but in terms of design philosophy, I’m not confident the current trajectory would get us there.
I get what youre saying also, I think Warzone weapons got a little too out of control. But in my mind I'd keep it real real simple.

man I just wish I had the tools to show yall cause Im tellin ya, its clear as day in my mind

also, my MCC had an update just now, it got all weird and wouldn't boot, and now I have to reinstall the whole thing, freakin sucks. Cause I have been absolutely loving it this week.

Also I played 3 games in Halo 5 and dropped a 20+ bomb each time, so many babbies out there

This couldn't be more wrong tbh. Maybe you're talking about the shooting aspect, but even there, the skill gap is incredibly high in Fortnite thanks to the building aspect of the game.

I'm not really into the Halo BR debate since Blackout highlighted for me the worst aspect of adapting a game to BR rather than making it BR at first, so I just wanted to underline this point regarding Fortnite Skill gap.

This couldn't be more wrong tbh. Maybe you're talking about the shooting aspect, but even there, the skill gap is incredibly high in Fortnite thanks to the building aspect of the game..
the skill gap is building, I was talking about shooting.

guns that just do better than other versions of the same gun, the power and accessibility of shotguns, so many weird and insanely OP weapons, etc, etc

edit: not to mention that third person mode facilitates peeking around corners and over ledges so that they dont have to actually expose themselves to find enemy players, I hate that part of it.

Whenever I see PUBG TPP its just people hiding in bushes playing nightcrawlers desperately looking around with free cam, its sad

Last edited:
Its all good my dude, we got 2 years to wait, lets just stay positive lol

I get what youre saying also, I think Warzone weapons got a little too out of control. But in my mind I'd keep it real real simple.

man I just wish I had the tools to show yall cause Im tellin ya, its clear as day in my mind

also, my MCC had an update just now, it got all weird and wouldn't boot, and now I have to reinstall the whole thing, freakin sucks. Cause I have been absolutely loving it this week.

Also I played 3 games in Halo 5 and dropped a 20+ bomb each time, so many babbies out there
At this point, see a clear path to making a fun BR mode. But I think it would take reinforcing some old Halo fundamentals abandoning some concepts that 343 appears to hold dear.

There are a lot of things I like about H5 and Warzone that I think would carry over well, with a few tweaks, especially if they ditched the weapon upgrade approach in favor of sidegrades.

People seriously think a series that typically has a 3 year turn around now with potentially 5 years will launch bare bones? Naw
343i has a track record of missing features at launch, the precedent is there. With Halo 5 the highly retooled engine was an excuse for missing content, now they have a completely new engine. The concern is understandable.

343i has a track record of missing features at launch, the precedent is there. With Halo 5 the highly retooled engine was an excuse for missing content, now they have a completely new engine. The concern is understandable.
What major features were they missing in H4?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...87cf-8278-4752-9548-c797fea25a41/posts?page=1

how was this not already posted!? new content in h5 - what year is it?

they look sick though. i like 75 and 450 best
I like that they are unlocked through progress... and that they actually look like progression. 75 is rusted and dirty + they each have a double health bar looking thing on the barrel that fills up with each upgrade.

Makes me what to hop in again. Cosmetics mean much more when they are tied to accomplishments

I like that they are unlocked through progress... and that they actually look like progression. 75 is rusted and they each have a double health bar looking thing on the barrel that fills up with each upgrade.

Makes me what to hop in again. Cosmetics mean much more when they are tied to accomplishments
i guess they worked out the issue with adding more skins to the game (?). i'm glad we are still getting content. perhaps there is more to come?