• Halo is mom

Votes: 134 23.0%
  • Halo is dad

Votes: 244 41.9%
  • The Place that Shall Not Be Named is extra-dad

Votes: 205 35.2%

• Total voters
Everytime I try to get past the title screen I'm greeted with

"Attention: error authorizing user with h5 services. You will be unable to access online modes"

Switching to my son's account works fine. Halp

Edit: hard reboot seems to have fixed it

Last edited:
So 343i recently added a small feature to MCC that I absolutely adore, the Blind skull in Halo: Anniversary. I've been using it a little since yesterday and I love it — it's going to be so useful in my small Halo documentary series. Funny thing is I was just complaining about the lack of the Blind skull on my FB page less than a week ago, maybe I shouldn't have, lol.

All in all, Halo: Anniversary is a beautiful game. Can't wait to screenshot half the game after class.

So 343i recently added a small feature to MCC that I absolutely adore, the Blind skull in Halo: Anniversary. I've been using it a little since yesterday and I love it — it's going to be so useful in my small Halo documentary series. Funny thing is I was just complaining about the lack of the Blind skull on my FB page less than a week ago, maybe I shouldn't have, lol.

All in all, Halo: Anniversary is a beautiful game. Can't wait to screenshot half the game after class.
Wait, Blind skull wasn't in CEA?

I'm calling it now, Halo Infinite is open world and Forerunner relay towers (also known as beam emitters) are fast travel markers. Hell, even the lore supports it. On H4s Spartan Ops we learn that these devices communicate their local Forerunner installation via teleportation nodes, and also serve as emitters for instant communication messages. (One other purpose that they have is to make Halo's firing simulation at a diminutive scale, thougg).
I even made up a small mock-up map for a video I'm making. It just kinda makes sense, design-wise. Also, not sure if this is worth point out given how the trailer was mostly a tech-demo, but we see five Forerunner beam emitters across the vast lands of Installation 07. That's quite... crowded. Makes me think they're a point of interest. On the map I made we can see key locations (Cartographer, Library, Control Room - so on) that I think are pretty much guaranteed given the fact that we are visiting a Halo ring.

Makes me wonder how they're going to tackle the pre-cosmic-faring human settlements that are clustered around Zeta Halo. Was this post necessary? Idk, but I wanted to vent out my theories.

Edit: Oh, and also MacKay Clark, former Destiny map UI designer/artist at Bungie has been working for 343i for a while now. I've been doing my reporter job.

I'm calling it now, Halo Infinite is open world and Forerunner relay towers (also known as beam emitters) are fast travel markers. Hell, even the lore supports it. On H4s Spartan Ops we learn that these devices communicate their local Forerunner installation via teleportation nodes, and also serve as emitters for instant communication messages. (One other purpose that they have is to make Halo's firing simulation at a diminutive scale, thougg).

I even made up a small mock-up map for a video I'm making. It just kinda makes sense, design-wise. Also, not sure if this is worth point out given how the trailer was mostly a tech-demo, but we see five Forerunner beam emitters across the vast lands of Installation 07. That's quite... crowded. Makes me think they're a point of interest. On the map I made we can see key locations (Cartographer, Library, Control Room - so on) that I think are pretty much guaranteed given the fact that we are visiting a Halo ring.

Makes me wonder how they're going to tackle the pre-cosmic-faring human settlements that are clustered around Zeta Halo. Was this post necessary? Idk, but I wanted to vent out my theories.

Edit: Oh, and also MacKay Clark, former Destiny map UI designer/artist at Bungie has been working for 343i for a while now. I've been doing my reporter job.
i like it.

So, I reinstalled Halo 5 because of the London tourney last weekend. Damn, I've played it everyday this week. Loving the MP and I don't know if anything has changed in Warzone since fall 2016, but I'm really digging it this time around. H5 pulled me away from MCC, but I also only got back into that because of the big update this month. What a time to comeback to Halo, it's nice.

All this work over the past year on 1 Flag and it seems some forge maps can't support multiple rounds without pieces of the map vanishing like FX, teleporters, mancanons, and many of the scripts (static weapons included). We are still testing to see what breaks on which canvases and if there are any fixes.

All this work over the past year on 1 Flag and it seems some forge maps can't support multiple rounds without pieces of the map vanishing like FX, teleporters, mancanons, and many of the scripts (static weapons included). We are still testing to see what breaks on which canvases and if there are any fixes.
:( sorry nok

Man being able to real time rotate, zoom and camera fly around a Halo ring to choose your activity point (like Destiny) would be amazing. Get rid of the matchmaking menus, Destiny feels like a far better way to present matchmaking. Just turn the loading/matching flights into a few different mini games e.g. pelican bomb/ODST pod drop runs, warthog runs etc.

Great to hear about Clark, Destiny has an amazing UI and presentation layer.

Man being able to real time rotate, zoom and camera fly around a Halo ring to choose your activity point (like Destiny) would be amazing. Get rid of the matchmaking menus, Destiny feels like a far better way to present matchmaking. Just turn the loading/matching flights into a few different mini games e.g. pelican bomb/ODST pod drop runs, warthog runs etc.

Great to hear about Clark, Destiny has an amazing UI and presentation layer.
I agree so, so much. The trailer itself has some subtle clues that also lead me to believe it is open world. At the end of the trailer we see a day/night cycle, for example. It wouldn't be the first time a cinematic trailer teases a game-related mechanic. Halo 5s beta announcement teased Breakout and Spartan callsigns before we even knew what they were.

I don't see the point of getting rid of menus to get rid of them.

Destiny's cursor system wouldn't make much sense in Halo and I spend way more time than necessary just mousing over things versus actually doing what I want in Destiny. Imagine trying to quickly change custom game settings that way.

Reach still has the best UI of a lot of games, in my opinion. I do know quite a few people that didn't like it because it was very utilitarian, but at the time it's what was needed to manage all the stuff you could do in the game.

Although I think Destiny's works for Destiny, because it has a lot of gear/item management and they need to be able to shift around and update the UI, so having a floating cursor works better as it's hard to change tree menus like previous Halos because people build muscle memory for hitting certain button sequences to get to the content they want (hence why for example, the most popular playlist in older Halo titles was intentionally put at the top of the playlist menu so people could just A A A A A into playing it)

Last edited:
I suppose I wasn't really pushing the cursor aspects so much, I agree custom games menus etc should be simple and effective. I was more pushing at the presentation side of the UI as the sum of its parts, matchmaking is the player's custom ships departing/arriving together, a global map that has PvP, PvE, story etc all rolled into one interface where you just choose one point to play at a time. You hope around between activities without regarding for changes in menu or loading differences etc. Even in Halo 5 using a bumper or backing out of warzone to campaign or arena is a disparate move. It always has been in any Halo game. Destiny has a unification and lack of staring at a plain lobby menu when matchmaking that is welcomed.

Overall there is a boredom/tedious aspect that is saved in all this. I can see some tiny improvements here and there e.g. solo mini games or with your fireteam while loading etc.

I suppose I wasn't really pushing the cursor aspects so much, I agree custom games menus etc should be simple and effective. I was more pushing at the presentation side of the UI as the sum of its parts, matchmaking is the player's custom ships departing/arriving together, a global map that has PvP, PvE, story etc all rolled into one interface where you just choose one point to play at a time. You hope around between activities without regarding for changes in menu or loading differences etc. Even in Halo 5 using a bumper or backing out of warzone to campaign or arena is a disparate move. It always has been in any Halo game. Destiny has a unification and lack of staring at a plain lobby menu when matchmaking that is welcomed.

Overall there is a boredom/tedious aspect that is saved in all this. I can see some tiny improvements here and there e.g. solo mini games or with your fireteam while loading etc.
Desinty is by and away the slowest damn game at everything I have played this gen. Matchmaking takes forever. Loading planets takes forever. Going to the hub takes forever.

It's got a pretty UI, but its UX is atrocious and should not be considered a model for anything Halo.

I enjoy hopping between the MCC and Halo 5. Really hope 5 simplifies some things while not going back completely. Keep thruster and ground pound, remove sprint, slide, charge in favor of faster BMS (faster than all previous Halos). I hope they don't do remixes again, there were a couple remixes that were actually better than the base map (Eden and Stasis). Big Team Battle absolutely needs to be there day 1 for Infinite, hopefully with some classic staples that haven't gotten as much love, Longshore and Avalanche remakes are a must.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Posted on the Discord - apparently somebody found this in the online portfolio of somebody with some past work experience at 343 (or at least examples of stuff from older games in it). It's apparently a test render for Halo Infinite using Halo 5 designs?

Anymore info on this?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...87cf-8278-4752-9548-c797fea25a41/posts?page=1

how was this not already posted!? new content in h5 - what year is it?

they look sick though. i like 75 and 450 best
This is SUPER late to add to the game, but unlocks tied to accomplishments is the way to go. It gives the skin meaning, and you want to show it off.

Hopefully that's carried to Infinite.

Poodlestrike

Community Resettler
It isn't for any Halo project/game. It was an experiment.

So, while I appreciate the guy for making a PSA, I do think I can do one better: it's a test render in a program called Octane done as a learning exercise/experiment. It has nothing at al to do with Infinite.

Boom, saved you at least 2 minutes of dead air while this dude hems and haws his way to his point. YouTube is bad.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
It isn't for any Halo project/game. It was an experiment.

Hm, it was clearly inspiration for the trailer, or early versions of concepts that led to the trailer inspired scene framing.

Not the game, not for the game, but still related in a curious way. Will be interesting to see if any of those other scenes are reflected in future trailers.

So given we are moving to a new engine in Halo 6, what's the over/under of it being one of the more complete entrees in terms of game types at launch?

What game types are must haves for you?
Which ones would you be OK without?

For me : Slayer, CTF, Assault, Strongholds, KOTH, Juggernaut, and Regicide need to be there (including 1-sided variants where applicable).

I really missed the latter two for FFA purposes.

Poodlestrike

Community Resettler
So given we are moving to a new engine in Halo 6, what's the over/under of it being one of the more complete entrees in terms of game types at launch?

What game types are must haves for you?
Which ones would you be OK without?

For me : Slayer, CTF, Assault, Strongholds, KOTH, Juggernaut, and Regicide need to be there (including 1-sided variants where applicable).

I really missed the latter two for FFA purposes.
Given the hullabaloo over 5's game mode situation, and the long gap between 5 and Infinite, I gotta imagine they're going to include every past game mode that was at all well received. All the classics, plus Warzone and probably Ricochet?

Slayer, CTF, KOTH, Juggernaut, Infection and Grifball are IMO the most important, for general competitiveness as well as custom games flexibility. Whether or not some of those game modes are subtypes under another one (Grifball under assault, for instance) is all a question of nuts and bolts or philosophy.

I definitely think Ricochet was great and want it to return. Strongholds I'm lukewarm on but it seems like a better competitive zone defense game than KOTH. Most people aren't really asking for Stockpile back :P

And I'd love Infinite to get Gun Game. Still bummed we didn't get it for 5.

Really I think all it needs at launch is just "more than 5", and if they're going to add them in, add them in quickly. The content drip for 5 was just too slow for game modes, which add a lot more IMO than maps in terms of replay value.