Is Halo Dad?

• Halo is mom

Votes: 134 23.0%
  • Halo is dad

Votes: 244 41.9%
  • The Place that Shall Not Be Named is extra-dad

Votes: 205 35.2%

• Total voters
Just another reason why I can't take these pro players seriously, especially since the first instinct is to jump ship to Call of Duty of all things.
The goal posts keep getting moved by the pro community is the issue I have. Before MLG came back it was stated MLG would be the savior of the Halo pro community. Yet you still have these pro players jumping ship for games that arguably take less skill like Call of Duty.
Yes I can blame them. Getting paid to play Halo is not something I can have sympathy for.
Just another reason why I can't take you seriously, especially since your first instinct is to speak from a place of ignorance by unfairly and incorrectly judging others.

And you're also a fan of radar.

This post is in jest lol, calm your toggle crouch

I mean, as much as I like watching the HCS, the prize pools aren't great, the viewership isn't that high and you can't make that much money streaming it on Twitch. I think there's a lot going into that. H5 is kind of dead at this point with its last significant update being two years ago (and it's gonna stay that way for another two years or so until Infinite), it's a more difficult game for people to watch casually because of the enhanced movement and two teams have basically won every event the last couple of years, so there's not usually an element of surprise.

Frosty says in the video that Atlanta is the last H5 event, so I guess I just have to hope that there's more interest in an H2A or H3 event run in MCC to raise viewership, etc. But if the dude can go make more money playing Black Ops, let him. It's not like he'll able to make money as a pro forever.

Not having a new Halo game sucks.

Not being able to find matches in H5 because of dumb mmr requirements and preventing alts sucks.

Halo 5 not getting any new content after its first year sucks.

I’m tired of playing Fortnite.

I mean, as much as I like watching the HCS, the prize pools aren't great, the viewership isn't that high and you can't make that much money streaming it on Twitch. I think there's a lot going into that. H5 is kind of dead at this point with its last significant update being two years ago (and it's gonna stay that way for another two years or so until Infinite), it's a more difficult game for people to watch casually because of the enhanced movement and two teams have basically won every event the last couple of years, so there's not usually an element of surprise.

Frosty says in the video that Atlanta is the last H5 event, so I guess I just have to hope that there's more interest in an H2A or H3 event run in MCC to raise viewership, etc. But if the dude can go make more money playing Black Ops, let him. It's not like he'll able to make money as a pro forever.
Nothing is difficult to watch about Halo5. You talk about movement speeds as if halo does something inherently complicated. He can run fast and clamber, it’s not rocket science.

If anything makes it difficult to watch it’s the consistently same modes on same maps year after year. Shit, the game came out years ago and if you showed me a video of 2 years ago, the only thing that would be different would be the teams. Everything else is exactly the same.

COD has the luxury of having a fresh new game with new content every damn year. Halo doesn’t. If you’re going to have a game be in tournaments for years and years on end, then you better make sure that you also consistently supply that game with fresh new content.

I know there are exceptions like counter strike, but most games aren’t sustainable if they’re not refreshed every so often.

I mean, I've seen complaints about watching Halo on this very site and it's understandable with how fast Halo 5 at pro levels is between the sprint, the thruster making players diver around all the time, and formerly the ground pound. The removal of ground pound and spartan charge helped at the least, but if you're not already into Halo, it's not the easiest thing to pick up. Shrug.

You're right that some of their other H5 design decisions affect the viewing experience, too, like the maps. The maps that made it into HCS play initially are still a lot of what they play and there's no visual variety to it. Everything is so samey and sterile. Honestly, what's really the difference visually between like Fathom and The Rig? They have that same bland, boxy UNSC style.

I would also argue that the changes 343 has made to keep it fresh with the weapon balance patch last year and the additions they made to the game types and maps this year have hurt the HCS. Oddball matches at the MLG level just aren't that fun to watch and the Forge maps aren't aesthetically nice to look at.

Halo 5 just isn't a very deep game.

Counterstrike survives despite a lack of new content because the inherent gameplay depth allows for a variety of strategy and playstyles to flourish. This leads to interest clashes when various schools of thought colide.

COD masks its lack of depth by rebooting the meta annually. Before any one style of play becomes too dominant they are onto the next game.

Halo 5 isn't deep enough to survive using the same maps and gametypes for 3 years... For the most part, teams are approaching gametypes the exact same way they were on day one. Strategy has become so stagnant, that teams are really only distinguished by execution. The fact that Splyce rose to power via sheer brute force hammers down that point.

They gotta make a competitive game that can stand the test of time on its own merit. After that, a solid TO like MLG, and a continuous content stream would be icing on the cake.

PS a deeper game works to the benefit of casual players too.

PPS the weapons balance update was absolutely tone-deaf. I definitely think change was needed - but they didn't really do anything that anyone asked.

Last edited:
It was the hope that MLG would be the savior- and organizationally HCS has never been in a better place... But that doesn't change the fact that there's a undeniable about of uncertainty associated with playing in this league. Viewership is down, orgs aren't interested, and long term plans aren't revealed in a timely fashion.

These guys are playing professionally. Naturally, a game's competitive design will be a factor, but there's also a financial element that can't be ignored. Frosty and crew were dropped by a massive Org, despite being a 2 time world Champions. Thats significant!

I'll never fault a player for doing what they think is best for themselves individually. That's like shaming a worker for Quitting a company that doesn't have his best interests.
Also, Activision owns MLG now. Sorry to say it folks, but Activision's gonna want return on investment, and are always going to deprioritize non-Acti games.

I dunno, I don’t really see how this developer will bring Halo back to be honest. After everything ive seen of them so far, and yes some has been good (although not much), I just have no faith in them anymore.

They are to me a very average developer that has the luxury of probably having a lot of funding from MS cause it’s Halo. If it wasn’t for that franchise being the name on the box and it’s loyal community, would anyone really care about H4 or 5? Just imagine those games as an original IP, and then tell me honestly if anyone would care if they weren’t called Halo.

Also, Activision owns MLG now. Sorry to say it folks, but Activision's gonna want return on investment, and are always going to deprioritize non-Acti games.
I actually think MLG has been good to Halo and hasn't de-prioritized it or anything. They've held up their end, held good events, put on good broadcasts and promoted Halo well.

But H5 is a dead game and MLG involvement could only make it so relevant when there hadn't been a meaningful content update for H5 since 2016 and the meta and maps were still the same from the first season of the HCS. Prize pools aren't there anymore (London was for all of $135k) and now organizations are bailing. Like, this summer saw Optic and NV both get out of Halo even though they had top-4 rosters because they didn't see any reason to be there anymore.

If they're going to run the 2019 HCS under H2A, yeah, that's a better game and more interesting to play and watch, but they still have a lot of work to do to try and entice orgs back and get casual viewers and Halo players interested again.

its a shame halo 5, as a esport, never really added more content. aside from the recent addition of oddball and a few forge maps, none of the post launch content was good enough to make it into competitive rotation.

They are owned by Activision, but MLG is in the business of cultivating esports scenes for their customers. So, getting ROI means pleasing their customers.

I never got the sense that they deprioritize Halo. Gears Esports scene has been more consistently healthy compared Halo's despite being less popular, thanks in large part to MLGs day1 involvement.

I think they came on board to late to shift sentiments that were already waning.

its a shame halo 5, as a esport, never really added more content. aside from the recent addition of oddball and a few forge maps, none of the post launch content was good enough to make it into competitive rotation.
I don't even think oddball is all that engaging to watch since the matches tend to drag and it's played on maps like Echelon (bad) and Eden (been in competitive play for years).

i miss fathom.surely if refuge can get its own ctf ruleset, they could have done something similar with this.
Fathom just had bad CTF spawns. A team could get completely wiped, but the first spawner would usually have a free path to sprint to the enemy base due to the lack of sightlines. The rules weren't really the problem it's all the walls! (10 second spawn timer would help though).

Fathom just had bad CTF spawns. A team could get completely wiped, but the first spawner would usually have a free path to sprint to the enemy base due to the lack of sightlines. The rules weren't really the problem it's all the walls! (10 second spawn timer would help though).
I know it has these problems, but I really thought Fathom CTF was always a good watch. Some of the matches you'd get on the map were all-timers, like Optic/Splyce from Denver last year.

By the way, I just looked up the Denver results from last year and in less than a year, three of the top four orgs, Optic, NV, and Liquid, all left Halo. Man.

Halo Infinite is supposed to be using Halo 5 MP a base game right?

I’m out then. Went back to Halo 5 after MCC. These are the worst maps I’ve ever played in a halo games minus maybe Reach. Also every social match feels like Dedtiny 2 Crucible in annoyance and insurance that you must be trying at all times to have fun. Let 343 make a new IP. Halo multiplayer is dead if it sticks with Halo 5. Nobody cares about esports. Stop making shit maps and justifying it with esports.

If they go this route I hope they fail. I can’t stand this 343 multiplayer anymore. How many brand new maps did we even get ? 4?
I can’t think of a single series that went from top of the food chain to mediocre sales and player counts then Halo post 343.

Awful art style
Great feeling guns
Broken aiming on launch for certain controller revisions
Awful level design
Awful map design
Poor post launch map support
No Big Team Battle maps
Good sound
Awful story

I despise Halo 5. I’d rather play Halo 4 patched MP.

Fuck this game. And god help 343 hire some ex Bungie devs.

I’ll take everything back if Halo Infinite ditches Halo 5s Base

Last edited:
I know it has these problems, but I really thought Fathom CTF was always a good watch. Some of the matches you'd get on the map were all-timers, like Optic/Splyce from Denver last year.

By the way, I just looked up the Denver results from last year and in less than a year, three of the top four orgs, Optic, NV, and Liquid, all left Halo. Man.
I was always kinda torn on Fathom. I kinda like the tension of matches being so close, but I hated how often it needed to be replayed.

Then once you release that its due to flawed map design it's hard for me to support the idea of pros playing it.

I know they tried moving flag spawns. But it would have been cool if they could alter the map so that you could shoot into the garage areas from top mid.

Last edited:
Halo MP brightest star is about team work in objective game types and you will never change my mind.

roaming king was a treat, because it shined its light on Halos best element.
You will never convince me in a million years that slayer is the best experience in Halo regardless of the weapon set, and you shouldn't try because you would be wrong.

Infinite needs to take OBJ in stride and really show what makes Halo so great.
Yes.

objective is indeed > slayer. I'm ashamed to admit that it took me until halo 5 to realize this. no radar > radar too. it only took me to my late 30s to outgrow my scrub phase.
Yes. No.

It's a maturity thing, for sure. Congrats on your sophistication and a d u l t h o o d .

Some may get there sooner, some later, but eventually we all realize no radar (or limited radar in the case of H5 HCS w/ sprint) is how Halo should be played. And if you never get there, hey.. that's part of life too.
No. Maybe. Yes.

my most reliable teamate is radar tho. i've solo'd since h2 so im so used to relying on that info. even though i play 4v4 the most reliable thing i could use was the radar.
Yes.

Extraction is definitely needed.
No.

Why do folks want to stand around in objective while a progress bar loads? It's the opposite of Halo skill. You're telegraphing your position or intended position for a sustained period so enemies know where to find and kill you. The change from bomb and flag with CE/2/3 to these game types such as territories, control, extraction, dominion (ok I like this one), KOTH, WZ zones being exclusively progress bar based is a real drag to the experience. Make those parts layered with unlocking and area to bomb or steal a flag from etc. Invasion had that sort of layered progression down very well.

When Halo gets back to bomb and flag running things from the get go it will kill it in the marketplace e.g. maps and vehicles designed from the ground up for that sort of play. WZ/FF could have easily gone in this direction. I hope Infinite really goes this way too. eSports/WZ etc should be there but it's high time Halo gave it's original core of flag/bomb the level of game dedication, maps and development resources the production spotlight it deserves.

I was always kinda torn on Fathom. I kinda like the tension of matches being so close, but I hated how often it needed to be replayed.

Then once you release that its due to flawed map design it's hard for me to support the idea of pros playing it.

I know they tried moving flag spawns. But it would have been cool if they could alter the map so that you could shoot into the garage areas from top mid.
my only issue with fathom was the ties/full replays. fathom with regular rules but the first replay going sudden death > refuge with its own rule set anyday.

Ok is there like a gas leak in here or something because there have been some wild takes today

First of all, extraction and dominion are far from needed in terms of game modes for Infinite, especially considering how 343i failed to implement many established, core gametypes to Halo 5, some of which still go unsupported today

Second, a lot of Halo 5's critical failures are being glossed over that really make the game hard to love when not ignored, whether its the poor game mode support, lack of dev-supported BTB, REQ System, terrible customization, ugly art style, lackluster campaign, late-stage Warzone, general map design, and a lot more (although that isn't to say the game didn't do a lot right mechanically)

And third, the fuck is up with that CE thread?

Halo Infinite is supposed to be using Halo 5 MP a base game right?

I’m out then. Went back to Halo 5 after MCC. These are the worst maps I’ve ever played in a halo games minus maybe Reach. Also every social match feels like Dedtiny 2 Crucible in annoyance and insurance that you must be trying at all times to have fun. Let 343 make a new IP. Halo multiplayer is dead if it sticks with Halo 5. Nobody cares about esports. Stop making shit maps and justifying it with esports.

If they go this route I hope they fail. I can’t stand this 343 multiplayer anymore. How many brand new maps did we even get ? 4?
I can’t think of a single series that went from top of the food chain to mediocre sales and player counts then Halo post 343.

Awful art style
Great feeling guns
Broken aiming on launch for certain controller revisions
Awful level design
Awful map design
Poor post launch map support
No Big Team Battle maps
Good sound
Awful story

I despise Halo 5. I’d rather play Halo 4 patched MP.

Fuck this game. And god help 343 hire some ex Bungie devs.

I’ll take everything back if Halo Infinite ditches Halo 5s Base
I really hope they ditch the entire Halo 5 gameplay... its terrible. A more refined/improved classic gameplay Halo is way more interesing and exciting. (And no i dont want a Halo 3 copy... stop with that nonsense folks)

I can't stand how hardcore Halo 5 is. Its not fun to casually play at any time of day. It's 100% sweat city in Social Slayer and Team Arena. Maybe because the social playlist was added so late and all the casuals moved on?

I've been playing Halo since it came out, and I really think if 4 would've avoided loadouts and supply drops in favor of traditional Halo starts and no killstreak bonuses, it would be remembered in a totally different light. By the end of everything they tuned it up to an excellent point (343 PLEASE PUT THE STANDARD TEAM SLAYER VARIANT IN MCC ROTATION!)

I've been playing Halo since it came out, and I really think if 4 would've avoided loadouts and supply drops in favor of traditional Halo starts and no killstreak bonuses, it would be remembered in a totally different light. By the end of everything they tuned it up to an excellent point (343 PLEASE PUT THE STANDARD TEAM SLAYER VARIANT IN MCC ROTATION!)
Halo 4 should just be Legendary BRs, MCC is a classic Halo platform, get rid of Infinity Slayer.

Even in classic slayer Halo 4 plays kind of bad due to generic power weapon spawns with no variety and nav points with random power weapon spawns.

Funny enough as much as I dislike Infinity Slayer I have been on average dominating in it on MCC lately.

These days I'm alright with Infinity Slayer thrown in the mix. There are 4 other Halo games in TMCC for a classic experience, so it's fun to just have a SAW/Rocket/etc. drop at your feet while using the Ammo Armor Mod and dong on fools.

These days I'm alright with Infinity Slayer thrown in the mix. There are 4 other Halo games in TMCC for a classic experience, so it's fun to just have a SAW/Rocket/etc. drop at your feet while using the Ammo Armor Mod and dong on fools.
Yeah I kind of agree, it's a little refreshing to play Infinite Slayer once in awhile.

Brand me with the Mark of Shame!

answer me this: was firefight in Reach not as good as ODST, because bungie gave to much customization options in the settings?

It keeps me up at night trying to figure out why odst’s tirefight feels much more rewarding and better

answer me this: was firefight in Reach not as good as ODST, because bungie gave to much customization options in the settings?

It keeps me up at night trying to figure out why odst’s tirefight feels much more rewarding and better
At quick recollection it felt like the maps, waves and enemies were more curated for the experience I think. Yes Reach kills ODST in the firefight customisation department and versus mode of Spartans vs Elites was cool as hell though. ODST was also more challenging without working your way through menu settings and playtests yourself. A lot can likely be said for the achievements attached to ODST firefight as well.

Also I think Reach just got a ton of hate and the wave of change had swept across Halo by then, Reach's firefight may have risen to greater heights if it was present at say the height of Halo 3 popularity. Matchmaking systems for ODST would have been awesome though, I guess Bungie hasn't gone far with Destiny in that respect. Reach's matchmaking ended up being gruntpocalypse or rockets and therefore again developer curated playlists hindered the experience.

Last edited:
my only issue with fathom was the ties/full replays. fathom with regular rules but the first replay going sudden death > refuge with its own rule set anyday.
Yeah but whether you handle relays differently or use map specific rules. you're just treating the symptom rather fixing the problem.

Fathom is tie-prone because of issues with how the map is designed I think of we had first relay sudden death along, people would have still got tired of all the matches that stall on Fathom.