In "Yes, it's still relevant" news, Minecraft maintains higher MAU than Fortnite (91m vs 78.3m)

What's stopping Minecraft from topping Twitch charts?
I always assumed minecraft was stronger on youtube than twitch. Not much appeal in seeing live streams of it, but silly videos with overreactions and little stories proved to be popular. At least thats what my kids do with it and Roblox

Don’t know how bad my really anecdotal evidence is. But I mostly see kids 8 and above playing Fortnite at the youngest. Younger than that it’s always Minecraft.

Minecraft is a timeless classic. Fortnite I feel like is more of a fad akin to fidget spinners, past it's peak and it's popularity diminishing everyday.

I thought minecraft would still be big but not beating out Fortnite in MAU and by THAT amount either.

That is seriously insane. The better together update would sure as hell have helped with it. Now for Sony to open up minecraft to that update and cross play now that fortnite has.

Minecraft is a timeless juggernaut. It’s hilarious whenever people think its time has passed or some shit, lol. Y’all should have seen the Minecraft event they did at Target stores a week or two ago. It was *literally* Black Friday-tier traffic at my store.

remember this

It’s literally unlike anything we’ve ever seen in gaming. Goes way beyond Minecraft.
OP, it's already there, and even beyond.
I would say Fortnite is building something even bigger.
It’s already passed it and then some!
It might be easy to say it's already as big, or bigger, than Minecraft but I'll only be convinced of that if it's still huge 3 years from now and retail stores are full of merch.
It's way beyond that, the only difference is that toy stores aren't littered with Fortnite stuff yet like Minecraft.
It’s bigger already.
It is the new Minecraft; probably bigger.
It's bigger than Minecraft. I'd argue that Fortnite will be looked back on as a defining part of the pop culture of this decade in the same way Pokémon was in the 90s. Minecraft will too, but not to the extend Fortnite will.
Fortnite has surpassed Minecraft in terms of popular culture, even footballers are doing the Flossy dance for goal celebrations
Fortnite is bigger than Minecraft.
It's still too early to say. Fortnite is definitely burning a bit hotter than Minecraft ever did,
Fortnite has already become as big as Minecraft.
I'd say Fortnite is way bigger than Minecraft was.
Its already beat minecraft, never heard of minecraft training classes before on the radio like I do fortnite

Jesus

But you know what, it makes sense

Fortnite is challenging and a lot of kids suck. Sometimes you run into such awful Fortnite players that it becomes quite clear they are kids.

Its too competitive and skilled for a lot of players.

Minecraft is casual, creative, and relaxing. Far more enjoyable to give a 6 year old IMO.

If Minecraft went free to play..

When did I last play Minecraft? Yesterday, despite the shaming. And in probably again about five minutes. Just messing around in some mods. Also, it and Terraria are good for playing online with my sibling. Does her child need immediate attention? She can AFK somewhere safe and I can keep doing whatever.

One is also ridiculously new by comparison and has a very different amount of registered players. Not to mention of course the vast difference in the kind of games these are, affecting staying power per player, communities etc
Does it matter? Sure
Is it "Holy shit" worth or wildly surprising? No

Fortnite and Minecraft both are huge juggernauts that have big mainstream appeal. They've become embedded in popculture and they are only getting bigger.

I'll be curious for when I have kids and they grow up within the next 10 years if Minecraft and Fortnite will still be relevant? Minecraft has obviously proved its longevity, but I don't know for how long. Could very well be forever if they still keep updating it.

I think a difference, though this is my limited example, is that Minecraft has greater overarching appeal. My wife still plays Minecraft but has no interest in Fortnite. I also know families where they’re more comfortable with their kids playing Minecraft than Fortnite, and some people adult age just prefer the accessibility of Minecraft.

Battle of titans

Importantly minecraft has stronger modding and educational potential and has frequently been cited as such even prior to fortnite

F2p has revealed a massive playerbase inspired through mobile and now across all platforms

Amazingly minecraft is not F2p and has this success

Also it runs on potatoes better than fortnite

Notably gta v is not far behind in respect to raw sales but not mau probably

I just bought it on Switch. Getting back intoit after not playing for years. It’s a good game to play here and there, kindalike Animal Crossing.

Minecraft can be a plethora of different things: digital lego, permadeath survival horror, farming sim, exploration game... Suck at one thing and there are plenty of alternatives you can focus on.

Fortnite is a battle royale. Suck at that and your fun is limited to however long you have before some Serious Business kid snipes it short.

Minecraft can be a plethora of different things: digital lego, permadeath survival horror, farming sim, exploration game... Suck at one thing and there are plenty of alternatives you can focus on.

Fortnite is a battle royale. Suck at that and your fun is limited to however long you have before some Serious Business kid snipes it short.
Yeah in a weird way Minecraft occupies that same space in my mind that Warcraft 3 custom games did, you can play pretty much anything you want in it. My limited understanding of Roblox makes it seem like it's similar in that regard.

Minecraft will always occupy a special place in my heart. I love pretty much everything about it. I find it hard to sit down and play these days for some reason, but digital lego appeals to me in a way that few things ever will.

I've never actually played Minecraft, Fortnite, PUBG or WoW.. even once. Probably alone on that one on this forum lol

Virtually everyone I know has played Minecraft even if only watching their kids play it.

Recently got back into it with the SevTech mod pack. The progression system was always my favorite aspect of Minecraft, so having a mod where that's the focus is great. Also it was a excellent way to introduce me to all the types of mods out there. Mods that were packed in like Applied Energistics 2 was mindblowingly cool once I figured it out.

91 million? Wow. Happy to see that Minecraft is still going so strong even after all these years. Still have fond memories of playing and just having a blast with my friends.

Jesus

But you know what, it makes sense

Fortnite is challenging and a lot of kids suck. Sometimes you run into such awful Fortnite players that it becomes quite clear they are kids.

Its too competitive and skilled for a lot of players.

Minecraft is casual, creative, and relaxing. Far more enjoyable to give a 6 year old IMO.

If Minecraft went free to play..
Fortnite has the Playground mode for that casual experience. I would imagine there is a significant number of people who only play in that mode.

I think the real crux of it is that Minecraft has no serious competition. Even if Fortnite is the most popular BR game by as significant of a margin as it is, there are plenty of BR games right now. Minecraft is in its own universe.

Last edited: