In "Yes, it's still relevant" news, Minecraft maintains higher MAU than Fortnite (91m vs 78.3m)

Minecraft is endlessly fun. I still go back and just build a dirt hole to spend my first night just like I did years ago, never gets old. It's a timeless masterpiece and don't let kids cringe complations tell you otherwise.

Crazy, I remember buying into the alpha like 8 years ago when I was bored af in my training cycle sitting at 29 palms with nothing to do.

Minecraft is basically digital lego I am not surprised it has a higher mau. It will still be wildly popular when Fortnite dies down.
No denying Fortnite’s pull, but in a few years there will be a new hotness. MC is one of those titles that is only limited by your creativity and can be tackled by yourself, with friends, with strangers, private or public servers, and you’re building anything your heart desires. I bought the game when it was in alpha and I still have a couple periods a year where I’ll spend a great length of time binging a build ide. MC is going to be around long after Fortnite.

Benji

US Sales Insider
Minecraft is one of those things that honestly is still going to be huge 10 years from now

In all honesty the 2 Billion MS paid for it was the deal of a a lifetime despite the huge price tag

Wasn't the 2 billion deal even better for microsoft because that money came from overseas and they couldn't do anything with it but spend it?

Why are you calling those out? Even if it's not bigger it's insane how fast Fortnite got into that level and it's not showing any signs of slowing down.

It's perfectly reasonable to feel something is bigger when that something reached that ubiquity in less than a year compared to other franchise that took 7.

Minecraft is a sandbox game that is not only family friendly but revolves mostly around user generated content. It is almost more of a social platform than a game even.

My 11 year old laughs when I ask him why he doesn't play minecraft anymore. None of his friends do either in his school. I wonder what age demographic is still playing Minecraft because 10 and up for the most part it's all Fortnite from what I can see.

And lol at the dude who said Fortnite Is diminishing and dying out hahaha how out of touch with reality can you be.

Now let's compare the monthly revenue.
I think even this would surprise us. My daughter is 7 and I've bought her things for Minecraft. There also seems to be monthly charges for private servers in the client now. She also plays Roblox but that game's economy is weird so I won't give her "robux."

Benji

US Sales Insider
Obviously Fortnite would be leading this rn, but I think you'd be surprised by how small that gap is. Minecraft still makes a mint from merchandise, in a way which Fortnite doesn't yet.
If we are including merchandising I can essentially guarantee you Minecraft is making at least as much as Fortnite annually in terms of revenue

Why are you calling those out? Even if it's not bigger it's insane how fast Fortnite got into that level and it's not showing any signs of slowing down.

It's perfectly reasonable to feel something is bigger when that something reached that ubiquity in less than a year compared to other franchise that took 7.
So it's not bigger. I'm not a fan of shame lists but when some people (not everyone quoted) state their biased opinion as fact so merrily a little "what were you saying?" isn't the worst response. But I get why this rubs you the wrong way and it's fine.

Wow, definitely surprising. I haven't played Minecraft in about 3-4 years (friends are too busy to play and it's more fun in groups than solo). Still think it is a great game though. I'd honestly prefer my kids to play Minecraft over Fortnite any day of the week...I mean if I had kids, of course. Minecraft is one of the most creativity stimulating games of all time and is nearly endless. I feel like it probably has a positive influence on the brain too but that is 100% speculation.

they don't called them Mojang in E3 new Studios annoucment

Someone should tell them about their website https://mojang.com/ and their twitter https://twitter.com/Mojang then. The "about" page could use an update: https://mojang.com/about/

And google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...a8d947595d8a538!8m2!3d59.3148066!4d18.0542327

Nope. Mojang is still Mojang. We would have gotten an announcement if the studio changed names.

Again, the studio pic could refer to the Redmond studio. Mojang was a Microsoft purchase, not an Xbox purchase IIRC.

Can't believe there is a certain group here saying Fortnite is bigger than Minecraft, lmao.

This is gobsmackingly insane.
There people here that thought Fortnute was more popular than Pokemon Go too.

Because you know they thought Pokemon Go was dead.

If we are including merchandising I can essentially guarantee you Minecraft is making at least as much as Fortnite annually in terms of revenue
You reckon? I know Minecraft's still huge, but I'd be surprised if merchandise revenue was in the billions annually. Hundreds of millions, sure, but billions? That would make MS's purchase at $2.5 a very lucrative investment.

Minecraft still remaining a juggernaut, despite not being F2P and not having engagement schemes like daily challenges or the Battle Pass a là Fortnite. Insane numbers all around, even though the game is available on even more platforms (X360, PS3, Vita, 3DS, etc.).

You reckon? I know Minecraft's still huge, but I'd be surprised if merchandise revenue was in the billions annually. Hundreds of millions, sure, but billions? That would make MS's purchase at $2.5 a very lucrative investment.
Strictly judging by Target, Minecraft is bigger than pretty much anything not in the Disney sphere as far licensed merchandise goes.

Also, the poster didn’t say they thought Minecraft’s merchandise was bigger than all of Fortnite anyway, just that if you included merch the total IP revenues lean in Minecraft’s favor.

I believe Fortnite is still not in China, which is holding it back a lot. I'm sure it would be a huge deal there

Let's not forget Minecraft is available on last gen systems, Wii U, Vita and new 3DS as well. A lot more platforms

FACT is almost a 10 year old game, NOT FREE, has more monthly players than the biggest FREE game out there. Says less about Fortnite, more about Minecraft.
Minecraft is free in China where a decent amount of the MAU come from. Honestly, people in this forum haven't got a clue. Also, PUBG easily beats both games with some versions free and some not.

Benji

US Sales Insider
Its going to be the several hundred millions annually just on merch at least. Combine that with revenue from game purchases as well as all the DLC that Minecraft earns then yeah it's making Fortnite money or close enough to it

Merch by itself isnt there and in terms of just game revenue Fortnite is likely ahead. That's why I said if we roll revenue from merch as well as all Minecraft gaming revenue together

Fortnite still actually doesnt have much in the way of merchandising revenue presence at all while Minecraft is huge on that front

I just Mined some crafts the other day. Minecraft is my " I don't know what I want to play" game. Any time I can't decide what to play I play Minecraft. It's one of my most favorite games ever. Its essentially digital Legos and a fantastic stress reliever.

I haven't touched Fortnite since Aprilish. I only did then because my sister has moved out of state and asked me to play some with her.