In "Yes, it's still relevant" news, Minecraft maintains higher MAU than Fortnite (91m vs 78.3m)

I've never played Minecraft myself '(one of few I guess) but my soon who turns 6 soon is totally hooked and the best part is he's learned so much from it. He knows english, weird frikkin things about materials and he's become a killer Lego builder as well :)

Glad it's doing great..

There people here that thought Fortnute was more popular than Pokemon Go too.

Because you know they thought Pokemon Go was dead.
This forum (and communities like it in general) are pretty good about reading a lot of trends, but sometimes, they miss the mark badly. I've said this before, but if you used this forum to gauge popularity, you'd think Dark Souls was more popular than League of Legends.

Pokemon GO, Minecraft, anything with an esports scene (other than OWL it seems), etc... are all pretty absent here relative to how many people play or participate in those things. Interestingly, we mostly miss hard on MP games. People here are hardcore into SP games only.

Let's not forget Minecraft is available on last gen systems, Wii U, Vita and new 3DS as well. A lot more platforms
I doubt this is that relevant. Remember this number is MAU; in the last month, how many people played Minecraft on a Vita? For that matter, how many people turned on a Vita?

This is gonna be a whole lotta modern consoles and PC copies. Especially PC for all the mods and stuff.

Someone should tell them about their website https://mojang.com/ and their twitter https://twitter.com/Mojang then. The "about" page could use an update: https://mojang.com/about/

And google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...a8d947595d8a538!8m2!3d59.3148066!4d18.0542327

Nope. Mojang is still Mojang. We would have gotten an announcement if the studio changed names.

Again, the studio pic could refer to the Redmond studio. Mojang was a Microsoft purchase, not an Xbox purchase IIRC.
Huh? There is nothing like an Xbox purchase. They are all MS purchases and in this case Phil was instrumental in getting the dev acquired just like Ninja Theory, Compulsion games , PG games etc and are all MS purchases too.

Huh? There is nothing like an Xbox purchase. They are all MS purchases and in this case Phil was instrumental in getting the dev acquired just like Ninja Theory, Compulsion games , PG games etc and are all MS purchases too.
Of course they are all technically Microsoft purchases.

From what I understand, Mojang is more of a separate entity within Microsoft's organization. Which is why it isn't listed in the Microsoft Studios pic, but the Redmond team is.

I've never played Minecraft myself '(one of few I guess) but my soon who turns 6 soon is totally hooked and the best part is he's learned so much from it. He knows english, weird frikkin things about materials and he's become a killer Lego builder as well :)

Glad it's doing great..

Minecraft’s definitely one of the good-guy games. Also playing coop with others is good, maybe when he’s a bit older.

My sister is shocked at the difference between the younger son playing Minecraft with friends happily together and the older playing fortnite and arguing.

In my opinion, It comes down to options in the game.

I used to play the crap out of Minecraft on the PS3 with cousins, sometimes hours on end. Just idly building houses, dividing roles, and other small self-motivating behaviors.

Fortnite isn't a "shared" experience, it's fun to watch others play, but another to have people part of that play. The PS4 / Xbone support split-screen for MC, people have their own worlds which they look forward to maintaining every day.

Not to mention that for a lot of casual gamers like myself, Fortnite is a one and done game. I get on, do dailies. get off and play another game. Even when I played MC on the PC and PS3, I could play alone for hours just mining, building the house, exploring, adding mods, playing with friends and more.

I think the utility we can derive from Minecraft vs Fortnite is a lot more promising to many consumers today who don't care about going to Twitch or making YouTube videos. While the MAU may be more, but MC content on YouTube isn't tangible enough to maintain sustainability for regular YouTube Content creators. Even on Twitch,

As of typing this post, Fortnite is on the front page, first game on Twitch at 108.6k viewers while Minecraft is down to 2.8k Users.

I play Minecraft quite often, although I got into it quite late (started playing as a co-op game with my son). Ironically, we never got into Fortnite because we both suck at building.

From what I understand, Mojang is more of a separate entity within Microsoft's organization. Which is why it isn't listed in the Microsoft Studios pic, but the Redmond team is.
Yeah I would say MS as a whole had a vested interest in the franchise and it was a major acquisition for them and the deal made headlines but the push to acquire them was all Phil Spencer and MC/Mojang still fall under Xbox/Microsoft game studios and the studio head ( Helen Chiang ) reports directly to Matt who reports to Phil Spencer just like all the others. MS doesn't differentiate purchases made for their various divisions.they all still fall under Microsoft acquisitions.

Holy shit.

From GameSpot.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/minecraft-has-many-millions-more-monthly-players-t/1100-6462194/

Genuinely surprising, considering Minecraft is a paid game from 2011 and Fortnite's got all the kids dancing. What's stopping Minecraft from topping Twitch charts? Not that Twitch is the only success metric. Did it just already have its YouTube phase?

When did you last play Minecraft?

EDIT: Should be 91m, not 9.1m
People with kids know this :)

MC will still be played 3-4 generations into the future, it really is the new digital Lego. Fortnite will be gone in 2 years, replaced by a hotter game.

Could be one of the best investments MS ever made.

Yeah I would say MS as a whole had a vested interest in the franchise and it was a major acquisition for them and the acquisition made headlines but the push to acquire them was all Phil Spencer and MC/Mojang still fall under Xbox/Microsoft game studios and the studio head ( Helen Chiang ) reports directly to Matt who reports to Phil Spencer just like all the others. MS doesn't differentiate purchases made for their various divisions.they all still fall under Microsoft acquisitions.
I'm not disputing the fact that they don't view it as an acquisition or that Phil Spencer didn't have a hand in it.

I'm just saying that Mojang is currently a separate entity within Microsoft. How else would you explain the omission of Mojang in the studio banner?

Microsoft's career pages specifically mention the Minecraft Redmond Team. That's where I think the Minecraft mention on the banner came from.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/minecraft-jobs-redmond-wa

All these games that are supposedly "dead" or at least declining and then you read about these massive MAUs and revenues.
Some people are indeed very out of touch and should stop basing their "analysis" solely on anecdotes and twitch/YouTube views.

"Minecraft is dead because no twitch views."
"Pokémon Go is dead because my grandma stopped playing it."
"Fortnite is declining because it's a fad."

No way they would risk the software sales of Minecraft to push a console.
Been out-of-the-loop for a little whiles with RL, but last I heard Sony is starting to move on the x-play now with Fortnight. Has there been any word on their stance with Minecraft and it’s recent update?

Otherwise the chap you responded too might be correct with next-gen... but not by MS choice.

Mojang is under the Microsoft Studios branch. Go under Studios, and you'll see Mojang there. Site needs updated, but the point still stands. Matt Booty was the previous studio head before he was promoted to Head of First Party.

Mojang is under the Microsoft Studios branch. Go under Studios, and you'll see Mojang there. Site needs updated, but the point still stands. Matt Booty was the previous studio head before he was promoted to Head of First Party.
Matt Booty was the head of the Redmond branch, but still. I stand corrected. Mojang has always been run by swedes afaik.

Still weird that Mojang isn't mentioned on the banner though.

I'm not disputing the fact that they don't view it as an acquisition or that Phil Spencer didn't have a hand in it.

I'm just saying that Mojang is currently a separate entity within Microsoft. How else would you explain the omission of Mojang in the studio banner?

Microsoft's career pages specifically mention the Minecraft Redmond Team. That's where I think the Minecraft mention on the banner came from.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/minecraft-jobs-redmond-wa
The franchise is much more than just the game so maybe that's why you have that listed there. There are toys, books, general merchandise, educational products/software for schools, and even the upcoming movie.

Matt Booty was the head of the Redmond branch, but still. I stand corrected.

Still weird that Mojang isn't mentioned on the banner though.
They're one in the same, just different responsibilities. It would be like BGS and how different teams have different focuses, but they're still BGS. Mojang is under the gaming division because that is the best place to put them especially since there isn't any other division it would make sense to fit. A big reason why they were bought was Hololens, but other Microsoft Studios are tinkering with that too.

Still, Mojang focused on multiple products for years, at least until recently. They're probably just called the Minecraft team to get the point across and because they're not working on other franchises. More people recognize Minecraft than Mojang after all. A lot of kids I have talked to don't know the studio's name.

They're one in the same, just different responsibilities. It would be like BGS and how different teams have different focuses, but they're still BGS. Mojang is under the gaming division because that is the best place to put them especially since there isn't any other division it would make sense to fit. A big reason why they were bought was Hololens, but other Microsoft Studios are tinkering with that too.

Still, Mojang focused on multiple products for years, at least until recently. They're probably just called the Minecraft team to get the point across and because they're not working on other franchises. More people recognize Minecraft than Mojang after all. A lot of kids I have talked to don't know the studio's name.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Would be interesting to see the China split with these games. It's why Fortnite seems so large because it's player base is mostly Western.

Last edited:
I mean... I don't think these predictions were that bad, if you didn't know the numbers. Both games are unfathomably huge, and Fortnite is certainly more "visible" at the moment.

Going back to quote them all is pretty cringe though

Edit: oh wow you didn't even comment in that thread yourself. Easier to criticise other's predictions if you don't make your own, eh?

Today will be a great day of healing, you've carried this weight with you for weeks and now you have your vindication. Be proud of rising up against those who make inaccurate guesses on videogame forums.
Lmao. Just say you didn't know Minecraft was this big and you were wrong or ignore it. Geez.

Anyways I really didn't realize Minecraft was this big. When did I last play it? I don't think I've ever played it lol. It doesn't seem appealing to me.

I’ve seen data which suggests that Fortnite is big for under 12s but still not the phenomenon of Minecraft, but that changes for over 12s. Could that be why overall it’s not quite as big?

My 11 year old laughs when I ask him why he doesn't play minecraft anymore. None of his friends do either in his school. I wonder what age demographic is still playing Minecraft because 10 and up for the most part it's all Fortnite from what I can see.

And lol at the dude who said Fortnite Is diminishing and dying out hahaha how out of touch with reality can you be.
My 15 year old grew up with Minecraft and still plays the game quite alot. It has taken a back seat to fortnite, but it still gets game time from him.

He has a world that he has been updating for years and I find it really interesting to see how his interests over time reflect in his world. He has built a huge llama statue in his world and has lots of statues of Disney characters that he built a long while ago.

It's still beyond Minecraft though I think, Minecraft didn't take off right off the bat, it began as a bare bones java experiment and during a convention someone heard me talking about it and asked me" Are you playing minecraft too" it wasn't that well known yet. It took a while and it only popped off once it came to consoles and people started YouTubing it which then followed schools to use it as a teaching device. It also had 10 years to get all those people.

Fortnite just started and it launched with a bang, the question is if they can keep this train rolling for 10 years and keep people interested in playing like Minecraft.

Also there's still no toys in the stores. ;p

My 15 year old grew up with Minecraft and still plays the game quite alot. It has taken a back seat to fortnite, but it still gets game time from him.

He has a world that he has been updating for years and I find it really interesting to see how his interests over time reflect in his world. He has built a huge llama statue in his world and has lots of statues of Disney characters that he built a long while ago.
I play the Java version with my 13 yo brother on my survival world from 2011 all the time. Honestly, that’s why I love the game so much. Building on and exploring a single world for years is very fun. You get to see your old buildings and creations like it’s your home town, then build onto them and expand. Also it’s cool that updates still apply to it. New biomes? Just explore where it hasn’t generated yet. No doubt that’s how your kid feels too.

This game fills a hole no other game does. Nothing will replace it (unless it’s a major release like 2) and there’s no content to “finish”. That’s why it keeps having a lot of active users. Plus the YouTube community (which he watches) and mods keep it alive as well.

Edit: oh wow you didn't even comment in that thread yourself. Easier to criticise other's predictions if you don't make your own, eh?
What “predictions”? What are you talking about?

Most of the posts I quoted are making definitive statements that fortnite is bigger than Minecraft. Those statements turned out to be bullshit.