Japan Travel |OT| We have to go back

Hey guys, need some advice since we are being super indecisive about our upcoming trip to Japan in late Sept/Oct. The first week we have plans in Tokyo, but the second week we are there starting Oct 1 we have nothing booked yet. We've been to Tokyo, Kyoto/Osaka, and most of Kyushu before, so I was thinking of finding somewhere new to explore.

Where would you suggest visiting for 5-6 days? Is the area north of Tokyo like Gunma and Sendai nice that time of year? We could still get the cheap domestic flights from ANA/JAL at this point, so even places like Okinawa or Sapporo are my pool of thoughts.

Have ya been to Kanazawa/Shirakawago/Toyama and Nagano yet?
Nope, that's why I was wondering what the weather was like in early fall. I'm too much of a wuss to be buried in snow. :)

I couldn't find any mention of any cool festivals or events going on that first week of Oct to help us decide.

Nope, that's why I was wondering what the weather was like in early fall. I'm too much of a wuss to be buried in snow. :)

I couldn't find any mention of any cool festivals or events going on that first week of Oct to help us decide.
Weather should be fine, even the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route should be clear of snow. Too bad you're not there the second week of October, cause then the Takayama festival is happening :P

I'm getting close to my flight (10 days!!) and I'm looking up which sim cards should I buy for my stay.
I used b-mobile in my last trip where they had the 5gb for 21 days plan, was pretty good with fast data iirc.
Looking more - I found this company too which have more data and days https://www.mobal.com/japan-tourist/ does anyone know anything about them or if they're legit at all?

I didn't know this thread was a thing...good thing i searched up Japan on here

Debating to go in late September for just over a week, since I have "mandatory" holiday I have to take from work.
Will most likely be going to Tokyo, even though my brother lives in Osaka.

Any recommendations on any well-known AirBNBs/cheap(er) hotels or anything attractions to hit up?
I already have some places I want to go to, but looking for any recommendations for something that's really "out there" and not very well-known

So far I know what touristy areas I want to him up, which is but not limited to
Tokyo Skytree
Tokyo Tower
Tokyo Dome
Ueno Park
Tokyo Imperial Palace
Harajuku area
Meiji Shrine
Ueno Park
the Ghibli Museum and the Tokyo Pokemon Centre

any recommendations would be helpful!

Pretty sure the next time I go will be for the Sapporo Snow Festival. The best way to get to Sapporo is by plane? How do you go about doing inter-Japan air travel? Buy tickets online in advance and just go to the airport?

Any recommendations on any well-known AirBNBs/cheap(er) hotels
A lot of the good stuff is probably booked up already. Check hostelworld, airbnb and the hotel search sites in the OP.

Tokyo Imperial Palace
Ghibli Museum
You'll need a booking if you want to see the palace itself, which is not that interesting at all, but all bookings for September is full now anyway. The Ghibli Museum is also fully booked, except for the super expensive tour. :P

It's been almost a year, I'm going to get Facebook notifications soon.

I'm already getting the itch to go back :|
Do it!

Last edited:
I'm starting to plan out a trip for next year, the first thing I decided to do when I landed back in England last October was to save up to go again. I'm probably going to do something similar to my last trip and spend some time on my own, during which time I'll visit my friend in Morioka, and some time with a tour group. I could probably handle things completely by myself but sometimes it's nice to have other people around. I'm going to see tomorrow if I can get the time off I need for it, or if I'm going to have to cut a few days off the end of the trip.

Woof. Longest part of the flight back complete. Flying with LOT has been super pleasant but jeez would I avoid Warsaw Chopin airport in the future.

Bummed that it is over but our 2021 plan is to tour hokkaido by car. went to Sapporo and otaru this time but it's such a beautiful area that I want more.

A lot of the good stuff is probably booked up already. Check hostelworld, airbnb and the hotel search sites in the OP.

You'll need a booking if you want to see the palace itself, which is not that interesting at all, but all bookings for September is full now anyway. The Ghibli Museum is also fully booked, except for the super expensive tour. :P
good to know! thanks for the heads-up! think I found a airbnb now, since my friend is actually there the same time as me and suggested one she's at.

just two more things i need clarification on if anyone would be so kind
First question: reading the OP, I'm guessing the best way to get around Tokyo, if I need to use the subway, is to have a JR Pass? that should let me get around easy enough, correct?

second question: if I'm planning to head to Kyoto for a day or two, the JR Pass should work to get me there and get around, correct? I think I read online that if I have the pass it'll let me take the bullet train to Kyoto? but I'm confused if it lets me take the subway there, since ive read they have a seperate subway/bus pass? if it at least allows me to get from Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Tokyo, that'd be good enough

good to know! thanks for the heads-up! think I found a airbnb now, since my friend is actually there the same time as me and suggested one she's at.

First question: reading the OP, I'm guessing the best way to get around Tokyo, if I need to use the subway, is to have a JR Pass? that should let me get around easy enough, correct?

second question: if I'm planning to head to Kyoto for a day or two, the JR Pass should work to get me there and get around, correct? I think I read online that if I have the pass it'll let me take the bullet train to Kyoto? but I'm confused if it lets me take the subway there, since ive read they have a seperate subway/bus pass? if it at least allows me to get from Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Tokyo, that'd be good enough
The JR pass doesn’t cover the subway, only local trains and the Shinkansen.

The JR pass is really expensive, meaning you gotta use it when there are expensive rides planned on your trip. The most expensive ones are the long shinkansen rides between cities.
Using transport inside a city is really cheap, iirc the average train ride inside Tokyo was like 150-180 yen so getting a JR pass for these rides is actually gonna cost you a lot more.
Use this nice calculator to see if you should even buy a pass in the first place - https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Also you can use google maps navigation between cities or inside to see prices and routes, it works amazingly well in Japan

JR Pass only works on JR transport, no subways, no non-JR trains and no non-JR buses or ferries.

If you're just going to Kyoto and back then a JR Pass is a waste of money. Get this instead:
https://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/PAS1J02031MKC/

Going to Kyoto for just 1 or 2 days is a waste of money too though, especially if you only in Japan for a little over a week. :P

Could go on a day trip to Kamakura instead, which is much closer to Tokyo, or Hakone or Nikko.

Weather should be fine, even the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route should be clear of snow. Too bad you're not there the second week of October, cause then the Takayama festival is happening :P
The Alpine Route looks right up our alley. I think we would have time to go from Tokyo -> Nagano -> Alpine Route -> Kanazawa and back in a week. It is sad that we go back a couple days before the festival.

We are going to be inside a bunch watching the sumo tournament on the first weekend, so getting some outdoor sightseeing is good.

Will have to buy some warmer coats as souvenirs, since we wouldn't need them in Tokyo in September or in SoCal.

Hit my savings goal for the entire trip last week and got my plane ticket last night. I'll be there from May 13-22nd of next year and I actually can't believe it. Japan has been at the top of my travel list for as long as I can remember and it's been a wild, rocky road to get here.

I'll fly into Tokyo and will more than likely stay around the city for the duration of the trip. I'm imagining that this trip is broken into two parts: this first trip is totally urban and will stay in the Tokyo area for the entire 8 days then my next trip will be completely rural.

I don't post here much, but I watch this tread like a hawk so thank you guys for all the recommendations and awesome information!

Did a quick search via hyperdia. Earliest train was 5:15 from Namba. Arriving at ~6:00. May be doable. But I would take a room at/near the airport.

Maybe busses go earlier.

Well... It's possible to take the very first Nankai Airport Express train (leaves Namba station 5:15 on weekdays and 5:10 on weekends and holidays) and if you're lucky you'll make it. Any delays at all and you're boned though. I wouldn't chance it. Either get a later flight or get a room at one of the 2 hotels at KIX for the night.

So just saw about this for anyone interested:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra..._Class-Shibuya_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Ka.html

https://www.mayukoslittlekitchen.com/

Cooking class in Japan, 8000 - 11,000 yen + 8% VAT. She'll even meet you at the station and take you to her apartment.

98% Five Stars, 1% 4 Stars and 1% 3 Stars on trip adviser.

Saw some footage of her doing this on Japanese morning TV and looked it up.

Looks awesome, would be interested in trying this myself next time.
That's pretty fun, sounds like something my daughter might enjoy in November.

Does anyone have any knowledge of working in Japan? I've dreamed about it for about three years and still want to do it after I complete grad school.

I don't necessarily want to teach English, but I don't want to rule that out. I would like to teach as an adjunct at a university or college. Would that require teaching experience only attainable by teaching English in Japan?

Over here adjuncts are hired with little to know teaching experience, as far as I know.

Trying to research my options.

Thanks guys for the help! So i ended up getting a room next to izumisano station and the earliest train is at 5:20am. 3 and 1/2 months to go and still feel like have lots of things to do!!!

Does anyone have any knowledge of working in Japan? I've dreamed about it for about three years and still want to do it after I complete grad school.
You'll want to ask here instead:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/japan-era-ot-we-all-お箸上手-and-日本語ペラペラ-in-here.1621

Thanks guys for the help! So i ended up getting a room next to izumisano station and the earliest train is at 5:20am. 3 and 1/2 months to go and still feel like have lots of things to do!!!
Make sure to really catch that train cause the next one is the Airport Express half an hour later ;p

Last edited:
I used the search function so forgive me, can anyone recommend any good tattoo shops in toyko? on a related note, can anyone with tattoos recommend a good onsen? thanks!!

Welp, after a long ass research I came up with my Hokkaido itinerary. I would appreciate any help/suggestion about it cause I'm definitely not sure lol
https://imgur.com/a/9d9N0wS (dates are September-October btw)
- I'll be using public transport only
- Flight on 8/10 is only an idea so far, it's either that or like 5-7 hrs of transport
- Should I cut a day off of any destination?
- I'll probably be needing that JR East-south Hokkaido pass right? What days of activation would save me the most money?

Hope it's not too much, but I'm still confused even after researching a lot. I want to make the best out of it!

Just found this thread, looks great!

I'll be heading to Japan with my wife and a few friends in April - May next year. This will be my fourth trip, but always new things to see and do.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for onsen in Hakone? That is a good place to start!

- Flight on 8/10 is only an idea so far, it's either that or like 5-7 hrs of transport
- I'll probably be needing that JR East-south Hokkaido pass right? What days of activation would save me the most money?
Without the flight it's more like 9 hours of transport from Shiretoko Shari Station to Noboribetsu Station :P

Well, as said, the JR East South Hokkaido Rail Pass won't help you get to the western parts of Hokkaido, so you should move your day trip to Otaru if possible to the 1st, and then use the pass on the 1st, 8th (for getting from CTS to Noboribetsu), 10th, 12th and 14th (Aomori->Tokyo) at least.

Use the bus between Asahikawa Station and Sounkyo and between Sounkyo and Kitami Station and take the trains from there to Shiretoko Shari Station.

Well, as said, the JR East South Hokkaido Rail Pass won't help you get to the western parts of Hokkaido, so you should move your day trip to Otaru if possible to the 1st, and then use the pass on the 1st, 8th (for getting from CTS to Noboribetsu), 10th, 12th and 14th (Aomori->Tokyo) at least.
It looks like the Sapporo>Otaru trip is really cheap, in the 300-500 yen range so it's not a big deal if I'll pay for that, wouldn't it be better to use it on the Sapporo>Asahikawa route? (or it doesn't cover it unfortunately?)
Also I think maybe I'll move the Noboribetsu>Hakodate trip to the 9th cause it doesn't seem like there's a lot to do there. That way I can get to Tokyo on the 13th and at least enjoy a calm night in the city before my flight, what do you reckon?

wouldn't it be better to use it on the Sapporo>Asahikawa route? (or it doesn't cover it unfortunately?)
Also I think maybe I'll move the Noboribetsu>Hakodate trip to the 9th cause it doesn't seem like there's a lot to do there. That way I can get to Tokyo on the 13th and at least enjoy a calm night in the city before my flight, what do you reckon?
It doesn't cover that. The cheapest way to get to Asahikawa from Sapporo is probably the bus as well.

As long as you have enough time to onsen and check out hell valley you should be good.

If you go to Tokyo on the 13th, you should also use the pass on the 14th to get to the airport.

Oh crap, didn't think about using it to the Airport. Good idea!
Also I just found out there's a night bus from Sapporo all the way to Shiretoko, it sounds like a great option! Using that, I'll switch and do Shiretoko>Daisetsuzan>Asahikawa and pass on the flight.
SO. MANY. TRAVEL. OPTIONS :(

Another typhoon next week:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/09/02/national/japan-braces-strong-typhoon/

Typhoon Jebi, packing winds of up to 252 km (156 miles) an hour, is expected to make landfall on the main island Tuesday, according to the Meteorological Agency.

“Maintaining its very strong power, the typhoon is forecast to approach western and eastern Japan,” the agency said.
Local media said the typhoon, which is still hundreds of kilometers away in the Pacific, could be the strongest storm to hit the nation this year.

The meteorological agency urged residents in western and eastern Japan to prepare for high waves, landslides and floods.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
So I just saw this video with some tips about visiting Japan. They mentioned that hotels can have a lot of hidden fees like double the rate if there are two people.

I booked for two people through Hotels.com so I assume I'm safe from that but it got me wondering about any other evetual hidden fees. I know some Izekayas and resturants have table charges and such but is there anything in particular one should be aware of?

Not sure how the hotel rates can be called a hidden fee unless you book for less people than the size of your group.

The izekaya cover charge you mention is the only one I can think of. Well, unless you get suckered into going to those scam clubs in Kabukicho or something at least :p

Edit: Oh, there's a charge at maid cafes and such too.