Japan Travel |OT| We have to go back

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...e-people-can-see-mt-fuji-released-online.html

A special map of Japan indicating areas where Mt. Fuji can be observed was released online on Monday to help people discover different faces of the country's highest and most famous peak.

The map "Mt. Fuji here" by Tokyo-based Japan Map Center indicates with red coloring areas where the 3,776-meter peak can be observed and shows that the world heritage site can be seen from as far away as mountains straddling Mie and Wakayama prefectures more than 300 kilometers to the southwest.

The map allows an online user to change settings to set place names to English, switch the background map to outline, topographical or aerial image, learn the distance between a point of their choice to the mountain and see photographs taken from different locations over 100 km away from Mt. Fuji among other functions.
Map here:
https://info.jmc.or.jp/fujisankoko

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
I've been trying to find reliable info on what we will need when it comes to power adapters in Japan but keep getting conflicting answers.
We're from Sweden, which uses 230v, and we are going to be needing enough power to charge 2 phones, 1 tablet, 1 camera and one cpap machine during the nights. Some sources say a travel adapter is enough while some say you need a power converter -_-

I've been trying to find reliable info on what we will need when it comes to power adapters in Japan but keep getting conflicting answers.
We're from Sweden, which uses 230v, and we are going to be needing enough power to charge 2 phones, 1 tablet, 1 camera and one cpap machine during the nights. Some sources say a travel adapter is enough while some say you need a power converter -_-
You have to check the info on the device/charger. If it says something like 110-220V, 100-230V, 120-220V, etc + 50-60Hz it'll work with a travel adapter. If it only says 220V or 230V it won't and you need a converter.

Rahvar

You have to check the info on the device/charger. If it says something like 110-220V, 100-230V, 120-220V, etc + 50-60Hz it'll work with a travel adapter. If it only says 220V or 230V it won't and you need a converter.

Thanks to both replies. Fast and informative as always :)

So, JapanEra.

I'm going to go back to Japan in 2019, but for the first time in 20 years, I'll actually have to look for a hotel.

For now, depending on funds, I'm just looking to stay in Kanagawa with either a homebase in Tokyo or Shin-Yokohama. I'd rather do Osaka, but I missed so much in the greater Tokyo area that I want to patch up things.

I want to avoid capsule Hotels and Hostels. I haven't made any experience with Air BnB, but am willing to try it. Any suggestions or tips as to where to look and what budget to plan? I'd like to stay below 4.5k yen/night.

Thanks to both replies. Fast and informative as always :)
Worth noting is, that pretty much all mobile devices have been using 110-240 batteries for ages, I doubt you'll find any modern device that'll need more than a plug adapter.

Airbnb kind of in a crud spot at the moment but if you have a set budget in mind (which is kind of limited) can't you just input that into airbnb and see what's available in different areas? Anyway depending on how greater tokyo you're willing to accept you could maybe stay around kita-senju or more north for cheap. Aoi or more south. Or just stay in that train hostel near bakurochou station, maybe it's fun.

Alternative you can stay in my closet for 4.5ky a night.

In the finishing stages of planning a trip in November (10-25th). I have most of the trip planned out but still trying to decide what to do with the last few days (21-25).

I am thinking about doing a domestic flight to either Hokkaido (Sapporo most likely) or Fukuoka.
Has anyone been to Hokkaido in late November? I am mainly concerned about snow, not because I dislike snow but mainly because I don't want to have to carry around snow boots and a winter jacket for the whole trip. If anyone has any insight on this it would be a great help!

Airbnb kind of in a crud spot at the moment but if you have a set budget in mind (which is kind of limited) can't you just input that into airbnb and see what's available in different areas?
Can do the same with some of the hotel sites in the OP as well.

Worth noting is, that pretty much all mobile devices have been using 110-240 batteries for ages, I doubt you'll find any modern device that'll need more than a plug adapter.
Well, except for the 3DS (if that can be called modern any more), better to check to be sure though, especially for the cpap machine.

Flying to Japan on Sunday, and will arrive in Osaka on Monday. Will practically live in Osaka for almost 6 months. Any tips for a student who is living on a budget in Osaka?

Airbnb kind of in a crud spot at the moment but if you have a set budget in mind (which is kind of limited) can't you just input that into airbnb and see what's available in different areas? Anyway depending on how greater tokyo you're willing to accept you could maybe stay around kita-senju or more north for cheap. Aoi or more south. Or just stay in that train hostel near bakurochou station, maybe it's fun.

Alternative you can stay in my closet for 4.5ky a night.
Is your closet as big as Bender's closet?

I keep looking at AirBnB but it's kind of hard to actually plan a budget with it. My trip's at the back-end of 2019 (likely Dec. to Jan) because I need to save up a lot of moolah for art supplies to get over there (mainly Copics).

I keep looking at AirBnB but it's kind of hard to actually plan a budget with it. My trip's at the back-end of 2019 (likely Dec. to Jan) because I need to save up a lot of moolah for art supplies to get over there (mainly Copics).
I think you mentioned that in another thread lol. Marker otaku??

Some hostels got private rooms you know. No interest in those?

I think you mentioned that in another thread lol. Marker otaku??
I'm trying to grab a full set of Copics during my Japan trips because they're half the price there. What can I say, half of the money I make goes to art supplies. :D

Some hostels got private rooms you know. No interest in those?
Yeah, been wading through them, I do want my own bathroom though, that's the caveat with most hostels.

So far I'm averaging around 60/night for 18 days stay, but I'll probably just make sure to find something good via Airbnb. I just hope that's still a thing by late 2019, given how Japan has been cracking down on them. :(

Rahvar

So, JapanEra.

I'm going to go back to Japan in 2019, but for the first time in 20 years, I'll actually have to look for a hotel.

For now, depending on funds, I'm just looking to stay in Kanagawa with either a homebase in Tokyo or Shin-Yokohama. I'd rather do Osaka, but I missed so much in the greater Tokyo area that I want to patch up things.

I want to avoid capsule Hotels and Hostels. I haven't made any experience with Air BnB, but am willing to try it. Any suggestions or tips as to where to look and what budget to plan? I'd like to stay below 4.5k yen/night.

The hotel I will be staying at in Tokyo is around 8.5k per night for two people, could be worth checking out the chain, it's an APA hotel.

Can do the same with some of the hotel sites in the OP as well.

Well, except for the 3DS (if that can be called modern any more), better to check to be sure though, especially for the cpap machine.
The cpap is also 110-240 and 50/60.:)

It was mostly the cpap I was worried about. Despite losing weight I wont be rid of sleep apnea sadly, I was born with it -_-.

I should be fine with using two travel adapters and two power splitters right?

The hotel I will be staying at in Tokyo is around 8.5k per night for two people, could be worth checking out the chain, it's an APA hotel.
Ha, APA was actually the cheapest Hotel chain I found for Tokyo. Definitely have them written down in case the Airbnb situation gets worse.

We're planning on going to the Olympics. The only event we're really married to the idea of attending is the opening ceremony. Would flying in a week before the Olympics and flying out 3-4 days into it be a better experience than overlapping with the games as close as possible?

We've never been to Japan before and will have an 11 and 5 year old with us.

I'm not finding much success outside of Airbnb yet for a similar trip (Sept-Oct 2019) given the majority of hotels don't appear to have released rooms that far in advance. Can't book flights yet, either. I just want to be organised, damnit.

I'm not finding much success outside of Airbnb yet for a similar trip (Sept-Oct 2019) given the majority of hotels don't appear to have released rooms that far in advance. Can't book flights yet, either. I just want to be organised, damnit.
Yeah, seriously, planning ahead really sucks. I miss having a place to stay there without having to pay, but there's no way I'm ever contacting either ex ever again.

Rahvar

I could book for May next year in mid-June through hotels.com

I was flirting with the idea of going Los Angeles to Osaka on the way out and Tokyo to LA on the way back, on ANA the flight plan was LAX-Haneda-Osaka with only a two hour layover, is that enough time to get off one plane through customs and get on another domestic flight?

I was flirting with the idea of going Los Angeles to Osaka on the way out and Tokyo to LA on the way back, on ANA the flight plan was LAX-Haneda-Osaka with only a two hour layover, is that enough time to get off one plane through customs and get on another domestic flight?
It should be, but it can be a pain in the ass. You have to clear immigration at HND with your luggage.

Kansai airport info:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-being-transported-out-of-kansai-airport.html

Kansai airport, one of the biggest in Japan, remained closed and over 200 flights were canceled for Wednesday, affecting over 30,000 people.

A decision is yet to be made about when the airport will reopen, according to its operator.

An airline source said the airport will remain closed on Thursday, but the government set up a taskforce at the prime minister's office aimed at quickly getting it back up and running.

Edit: Updated info:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...t-may-remain-closed-for-a-week-officials.html

Kansai International Airport may remain closed for around a week, depending on the extent of damage to its runway and airport facilities, airport officials said Wednesday.

All Nippon Airways Co. has stopped selling tickets for flights to and from the Kansai airport until next Tuesday and Japan Airlines Co. has decided to add extra flights using another transport hub Narita airport near Tokyo.

On an average day, around 80,000 travelers use the Kansai airport helped by growing travel demand from foreign travelers flying budget airlines.

Last edited:
I'm flyin to Narita in 3 days ( +1 full day of trip). I hope my flight doesn't get affected by the KIX shutdown.

And I'm going to Kyoto/Osaka in one week too. Wish they are recovered from Jebi.

Anyone have any recommendations for Nagoya? just moved near it and have no clue what to do there. (gotta find stuff to do for when friends visit next month)
Check out the railway museum and the Osu shopping arcade. There's the Totoro house at Expo 2005 Aichi Commemorative Park as well.

The main keep of Nagoya Castle has been closed for renovations, so it's less interesting to go there now :P

As soon as I got off the planes I looked for somewhere to buy a pasmo/suica card, but still couldn’t find anything. Is there a special machine, or do I have to ask over the counter at a convenience store, or do I have to go to a jr office?

Just got a marketing email from ANA - direct economy flights for £629 which is by far the cheapest I've seen (that used to be a normal price..)

They also have business class for £2799 which although expensive, is semi tempting - would like to treat my kids to fly business once. But it'd mean Japan in the summer next year..

I've just booked up the first part of my trip for next year, I'll be going in late October and leave around mid November (I realise this is really far in advance, but I've got a £200 voucher I wanted to use.)

The first 10 days are part of a tour, with the same company I went with last time. I could probably organise the whole trip myself but this seemed to work very well, and it's nice to have other people around for some of the trip (and the previously mentioned £200 voucher is for this part).

Nights 1-3 are in Tokyo
Night 4 Hakone
Night 5-6 Kyoto
Night 7 Hiroshima
Night 8 Osaka
Nights 9-10 Tokyo

After that I'm on my own, although I will be meeting a friend who lives in Morioka again during the weekend.

I have another 3 nights in Tokyo
Then a night in Hiraizumi
2 nights in Morioka
3 nights in Sendai
And 2 to 3 nights in Tokyo depending on my flight back.

At the moment since this is so far off I'm trying, and failing, not to be too excited for it.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-subway-and-bus-pass-to-foreign-tourists.html

A tourism promotion body in Osaka began providing on Thursday a free two-day local subway and bus pass to foreign visitors who have been unable to return home as scheduled due to the typhoon-caused shutdown of a hub airport.

According to the Osaka Convention & Tourism Bureau, any tourist from overseas whose return date was between Tuesday and next Wednesday can get an "Osaka Amazing Pass" valid for two straight days if they show their passports and air tickets at either of two tourist information centers in the western Japan city.

The ticket, usually costing 3,300 yen ($30), enables unlimited rides on all Osaka subway routes, and a large part of the city bus routes.

"We hope the tourists, who have been inconvenienced (by a typhoon earlier this week), are better able to enjoy Osaka," Hiroshi Mizobata, head of the bureau, said during a press conference.

Who’s fault is that?!
Yours! :P

Check out the railway museum and the Osu shopping arcade. There's the Totoro house at Expo 2005 Aichi Commemorative Park as well.

The main keep of Nagoya Castle has been closed for renovations, so it's less interesting to go there now :P
Thanks for the tips. I spent like 3 nights there but only went around the Kanayama area, then to my new house lol. Might explore it some this weekend or maybe the next for the 3 day weekend. Gonna hit up Osu and what not, also looking for places to eat and drink while there. But not so much fried foods... friends visiting are ladies and they don't do much fried food sadly.

More info about Kansai Airport:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...t-resumes-domestic-flights-after-typhoon.html

On Friday, 19 domestic flights -- two by Japan Airlines and 17 by Peach Aviation -- are scheduled to depart from or arrive at Japan's third-largest airport, which is located on a manmade island in Osaka Bay.

Some international flights by low-cost carrier Peach Aviation are planned to resume from Saturday, the airport operator said. A specific schedule was not immediately known.

The airport operator also reopened undamaged lanes of the bridge, which provides the only road and rail access to the airport, to designated vehicles including buses operating between the airport and cities in surrounding areas. The train service via the bridge remains suspended.
One of the two runways is currently in operation as the other was flooded by Typhoon Jebi, which ripped through the region Tuesday. Transport minister Keiichi Ishii told a press conference on Friday that the flooded runway at the airport is expected to reopen around mid-September.

It will take two weeks to determine when the damaged roads on the bridge can be restored, while the resumption of train services is planned for around early October, according to the Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry.

Need a little help...

waited a few days too long to get Ghibli tickets and I missed out. My wife is disappointed though really I'm the one who is a pretty big Ghibli fan ha! Anyways, I need to plan something now to fill that gap. Any suggestions for something with a similar feel? We don't watch anime or anything but do like Ghibli films. Maybe something Nintendo related? This is mid to late December... We'll be in Tokyo mainly but also in Kyoto for a few days.

Guess you could go to one of the Ghibli stores, like the one at the Skytree shopping mall, and there's the Pokemon Center there as well :p

And you could check out the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum where they have some buildings which inspired some of the ones in Spirited Away.

Ghibli Shop at the skytree mall was cute, there's several interesting stores in there (including the pokemon center as Mike said).

If y'all really like Pokemon though, definitely go check out the Pokemon Center DX near Tokyo Station.