Japan Travel |OT| We have to go back

So I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Japan next year the beginning of June. Anyone have any idea when the best time to look for flights are?

I started searching for tickets even though its still really early. First site I went to was expedia. They show lower prices, but when I go to the flights for that date they jump up in price. I don't get it. Help. I can't find anything for under $1600.

No matter what site I use, when a site is loading the list, it shows the flights for a cheaper price, but they increase once the list loads. Am I cursed?

So I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Japan next year the beginning of June. Anyone have any idea when the best time to look for flights are?

I started searching for tickets even though its still really early. First site I went to was expedia. They show lower prices, but when I go to the flights for that date they jump up in price. I don't get it. Help. I can't find anything for under $1600.

No matter what site I use, when a site is loading the list, it shows the flights for a cheaper price, but they increase once the list loads. Am I cursed?
It's pretty much impossible to say when the absolute best time to book flights is. Airline ticket prices are just to random and complicated for that. Still, most people agree that 9 months is a bit too far in advance for good prices. 3 months is the most common number I've seen thrown around (though starting to check for prices a few months earlier obviously doesn't hurt), but if you google around you can find other numbers as well.

As for the prices changing, the most likely explanation is that the first prices are just old and inaccurate cached prices. Querying airline ticketing systems for precise prices is relatively slow, and with the traffic these kinds of sites get they can't really afford to keep super up-to-date prices for every flight. So the initial price is likely an old, cached price that gets updated once you actually do the search.

Any recommendations on where to eat in Tokyo? specifically anywhere near Shiba?
Just got in the country less than 6 hours ago and wanted to eat something good tonight.

Ok
So my plans are almost totally locked in. JR pass bought hotels booked (but with free cancellation)
Fly in early to Haneda on Friday 19/10/2018.
Staying Hotel New Otani Tokyo for two nights.
activate JR pass on Saturday, planning to go to a gig.
Sunday 21/10/2018 off to Sekigahara to hopefully see some of the re-enactment, then on to Kyoto before it gets too late.
Stay two nights in Gion in Kyoto
Monday 22/10/2018 Jidai Matsuri or Kurama Fire Festival, haven't decided yet.
Tuesday 23/10/2018 Shimonoseki, primarily to look at the Akama shrine (of Hoichi the earless and the death of the Taira fame)
Wednesday 24/10/2018 (if I can be bothered) cross over to Kyushu to see Daijoin (though this may be replaced with a stop at Onomichi on the way back to Nagoya instead) then to Nagoya.
Two nights in Nagoya with a day trip to Takayama on the Thursday or possibly The Magome to Tsumago walk instead. this is my ?????? day.
Friday 26/10/2018 In Osaka for 7 nights with my friends who are flying in this day, only one of them has been to Japan before. We staying in an AirB&B (they had people stay last week so it seems like its totally fine) the weekend will be Osaka food and drink focussed, with my friends hopefully taking the lead.
Monday probably Himeji,
Tuesday we already have tickets to universal studios,
Wednesday/Thursday probably Kyoto.
Friday 02/11/2018 Travel to Tokyo, staying in Kabukicho. I assume this will mainly be a party night I think depending on the groups mood.
Saturday Meji Autumn festival, and if I can get my friends to go along I'm going to indulge my inner anime weeb and try to do a Bunkasai, you know those culture festivals at high schools that are in every goddamned anime? Apparently they happen this weekend. Then maybe a band or a movie in the evening.
Sunday No plans, ATM I'm hoping my friends have an idea of what they want, knowing them it'll be some videogame/attempted weirdness during the day and a nice restaurant at night.
Monday 5/11/2018 fly out kind of late from Haneda. I'll probably put my bag in a locker and do last minute shopping.

If you’re in Phoenix I would say be on the lookout for the cheap ~$550 non-stop roundtrip flight deals that fly out of LAX to Narita (they pop up a few times a year, excellent airlines too) and then just get a cheap domestic flight from Phoenix to LA.

Hey, I need some money saving advice!
I'm currently in Matsumoto, leaving for the Fuji lakes area tomorrow for 2 nights before leaving to Tokyo.
On the 2nd day I'm planning to go to Hakone, and I see that there aren't any places that sell the Fuji-hakone pass on my route :(
What would be the best way to make this itinerary without going bankrupt? (my JR pass also ends tomorrow)

To make it more understandable:
18th - Matsumoto > Fuji lakes
19th - Fuji lakes > Hakone > Fuji lakes
20th - Fuji lakes > Tokyo

I want to go to the open air museum, ashinoko lake and the ropeway that leads into that volcanic mountain. Is that considered the round course?
No.

You should take the Fujikyu Bus from Kawaguchiko or Fujisan Station to Gotemba Station, then switch to local buses (or the highway bus) to get to Togendai.
At Togendai you might be able to buy the Hakone Free Pass at the tourist information center? Not 100% sure, but you'll save some money if you can buy one for 4K JPY.
Then take the ropeway to Owakudani.
From Owakudani you can take the ropeway, cablecar and then the train down to the open air museum.
From the open air museum you can take buses to Ashinoko lake/Motohakone (the side where the shrine is).
From Motohakone you can either take the ship (more expensive) and then local buses or just walk to Odakyu Yamano Hotel from the shine and take the less expensive highway bus back to Gotemba Station. The last highway bus from Odakyu Yamano Hotel is at 15:35 though, so if you miss that you'll either have to take the local buses around the back of Mt. Hakone again, or use the ship (last ship is at 16:30).
The last bus from Gotemba Station back to Kawaguchiko/Fujisan is at 20:10.

From Kawaguchiko/Fujisan to Tokyo, book one of the highway buses since it's cheaper than taking the trains.

Last edited:
Thanks for that!
I'm not sure whether give up on Hakone or not. Seems like if you're not coming from Shinjuku it's a huge hassle, plus the free pass won't cover my rides back to Fuji and then to Tokyo. I'm looking at probably 10-15k yen for the whole thing? Ugh :(

How did you like Matsumoto? I am still debating stopping there on our trip across the mountains.

We fly out late Weds night, and I'm going into packing and prep stress mode now. I wish I had a personal assistant to make traveling not anxiety inducing. :/

How did you like Matsumoto? I am still debating stopping there on our trip across the mountains.

We fly out late Weds night, and I'm going into packing and prep stress mode now. I wish I had a personal assistant to make traveling not anxiety inducing. :/
City itself is pretty boring, on its own there isn't a reason to spend your time there.
I used it as a gateway to travel in Kamikochi, and it was also necessary coming from the Alpine route that started in Tateyama

just booked my AirBNB in Shinjuku for this Sunday to the first.
super excited to finally get to check out Tokyo, but kinda sad I won't be able to visit my brother and his family in Osaka just due to timing / money.
Having to do dialysis takes out a good chunk of time / money from me (1.5k + 12hrs total gone).
just finalizing what I'm going to be doing each day now. have majority in mind of what im going to do for the majority of the days, but still have maybe 2 days unaccounted for so far

Is anyone aware if you can play Mario Kart VR in Osaka? It seems the new Bandai VR arcade does not have it. I know it's playable in Shinjuku und Hakata but I can't find anything for Osaka.

Oh and if anyone can tell me where I can find Luigi's Mansion Arcade in Osaka, it would also be appreciated!

Is anyone aware if you can play Mario Kart VR in Osaka? It seems the new Bandai VR arcade does not have it. I know it's playable in Shinjuku und Hakata but I can't find anything for Osaka.

Oh and if anyone can tell me where I can find Luigi's Mansion Arcade in Osaka, it would also be appreciated!
The closest place in Kansai is Aeon Mall in Kyoto, not sure when you plan to be going but it won't open for a while.

「namcoイオンモールKYOTO店」 京都府京都市南区西九条鳥居口町-1 イオンモールKYOTO Sakura館 4F 12月22日予定

・『マリオカートアーケードグランプリVR』
・『ホラー実体験室 脱出病棟Ω(オメガ)』
・『急滑降体感機 スキーロデオ』

Thanks. I'm travelling from Kumamoto to Osaka in two days and I was wondering if I should stop at Harata station or not. Looks like I will (they also have a Pokémon Store).

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...ces-to-typhoon-hit-kansai-airport-resume.html

Railway services to Kansai International Airport resumed Tuesday, restoring the main transport link to western Japan's major international gateway two weeks after a powerful typhoon ripped through the region.

West Japan Railway Co. and Nankai Electric Railway Co. restarted their services to the airport from early morning after JR West fixed tracks on a bridge damaged in the typhoon. About 80 percent of public transportation users to the airport, which sits on a manmade island in Osaka Bay, arrived by train.
JR West said damage to the railway was smaller than expected, and it was able to complete work on the line ahead of its initial plan to reopen Friday, when the No. 1 terminal building will be fully restored and flight services there are scheduled to return to normal.

The restoration of the road sharing the bridge is expected to take longer, with transport minister Keiichi Ishii saying authorities aim to complete repairs by the Golden Week holiday in May.

So still umming and ahhing about how much time to spend in Hokkaido, currently got it looking like this

Fly from Nagoya to Sapporo, Stay in Sapporo for 4 nights
Train from Sapporo to Noboribetsu, stay overnight
Train from Noboribetsu to Hakodate, stay overnight
Train from Hakodate to Tokyo for rest of trip.

Hoping that'll be enough time in Sapporo and the other places, only want to visit Noboribetsu for the hot springs so I figure that can be done in one day and just need to stat overnight. Hakodate just want to check out the night view from the mountain, doesn't look like there is much else to do there. Also I figure staying at those 2 on the way back to Tokyo will break the trip up abit instead of doing the train ride all in one hit.

Just hoping I'm leaving enough time to do stuff in Sapporo and anywhere else nearby I want to visit.

City itself is pretty boring, on its own there isn't a reason to spend your time there.
I used it as a gateway to travel in Kamikochi, and it was also necessary coming from the Alpine route that started in Tateyama
Good to know. We are going the opposite way along the Alpine Route and staying in Oimachi that night. So I was looking at what we could do as a day trip on the JR routes from Tokyo, either Matsumoto or Nagano.

The teamlab museum sounded familiar... now I see why, I think we saw one of their light shows in Saga Prefecture two years ago. Cool that there's a whole museum now.

Last edited:
Check out the fortress, the reconstructed former magistrate office inside and the view from the tower. Get a Lucky Pierrot burger. Check out the fish market in the morning before you leave as well.
yeah was looking into stuff to do there and they both jumped to the top of the list.

So my real wondering is if staying in Sapporo for 4 days is too much, is there much else to do there other than the Zoo and eating all the food.

Yeah it was pretty rad. Probably took an hour and half to get around it all, but you could easily spend more time because the installations changed pretty constantly.
Awesome to hear! I'm going there next friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

Anyone have anything to say about Ninja portable wifi?

So on my upcoming Hokkaido trip I'm gonna arrive at Asahikawa after Sounkyo before heading to Noboribetsu.
I'm not sure whether to stay there 1 night and go to Biei's blue pond on the next day and continue straight to Noboribetsu, or stay there 2 nights and also spend some time in Asahikawa itself.
If I stay there 1 night instead of 2 I earn another night in Tokyo before I leave Japan.
Is Asahikawa worth staying that extra day or it's pretty much a waste?

Awesome to hear! I'm going there next friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

Anyone have anything to say about Ninja portable wifi?
Haha, going the same day, heard such good things.

Have not heard anything about Ninja portable, last time I used Japan-Wireless & am using them again this time :)

Random pro-tip that I always think about but forget to mention, when traveling in Japan be sure to check out the websites/google search the major stations you will be in for more than a transfer. The bigger ones with things like shops/department stores in them tend to have some cool events going on depending on the day. Stuff like food from different regions of Japan or other countries, limited time shops or hobby events and more.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...-in-business-17-days-after-typhoon-havoc.html

Kansai International Airport fully resumed operations on Friday, 17 days after a powerful typhoon flooded its facilities, crippling the western Japan region's main international air gateway.

Long lines of travelers formed in front of check-in counters at the airport in Osaka Prefecture from early morning after the northern area of its No. 1 terminal reopened. It was the last remaining section to have remained closed due to flooding from Typhoon Jebi on Sept. 4.

Haha, going the same day, heard such good things.

Have not heard anything about Ninja portable, last time I used Japan-Wireless & am using them again this time :)
Been reading up on Japan-Wireless and it seems one of the pros for using their service is unlimited data but from what I've read is that there is no such thing as unlimited data in Japan and that the speed would get throttled? Just to clarify because a friend of mine is recommending Pupuru and I'd rather check out other services first and Japan Wireless has got me interested.

Been reading up on Japan-Wireless and it seems one of the pros for using their service is unlimited data but from what I've read is that there is no such thing as unlimited data in Japan and that the speed would get throttled? Just to clarify because a friend of mine is recommending Pupuru and I'd rather check out other services first and Japan Wireless has got me interested.
Hmm, yes they say unlimited for Premium and Business packages.
I doubt it truly is, surely Softbank or whoever would start capping after 10GB.

I tended to be reasonable / frugal when using it, using it for directions, research and social media, but turning it on + off as I needed it, not leaving it on otherwise.

Pupuru is overpriced. Check out the ones in the OP as well.

Hmm, yes they say unlimited for Premium and Business packages.
I doubt it truly is, surely Softbank or whoever would start capping after 10GB.

I tended to be reasonable / frugal when using it, using it for directions, research and social media, but turning it on + off as I needed it, not leaving it on otherwise.
Well my intended use for it is mainly google maps and maybe upload some pics to social media here and there.

Pupuru is overpriced. Check out the ones in the OP as well.
Holy crap I totally forgot you made a section for that in the OP. Will check it out thanks. ^^;;

I'm beginning to dream up an itinerary that would go Fukuoka-Hiroshima-Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo. How crazy would a trip like that be: crazy, hella crazy, or crazy doable?