Japanese Music ERA |OT|

Man, all the songs on the new Keyakizaka46 single are killing it. That last Imaizumi solo hits hard.
I also find it funny that the song I'm Out has a line that says "I spit and raise the middle finger", not something I'd expect from a mainstream idol group song lol
-
Finally some new Uso to Chameleon, they had to postpone their major debut after two members got hurt in a car accident. Hyped for their first album.

Last edited:
I've been pretty quiet on the forum, but wanted to chime in after listening to Future Pop. Probably won't be something I'll be listening to much. I do want to say though that I love the track Tenku. Absolutely love it. Fusion being my runner up. In the end, the general sound the album goes for is sort of what turns me away (perhaps if the EDM choruses and breakdowns were done differently I would not feel this way). I mentioned on the Discord that I think it will work fine in the large venues where the group will be performing. As a solo listening experience, it didn't do much for me.

Tenku though... love love love it.

Was not feeling the album at all in the beginning but it started to shape out nicely towards the second half.

In the end though its an easy listening album so I wasn't really expecting any major bops this time around.

I'm largely in the same camp. FUSION, 天空 and 宝石の雨 are the only songs I like from it. There are moments here an there that I've also enjoyed, but overall the whole thing was pretty lackluster, as I was already expecting. I think this is where I take my leave. Will keep an eye on them to see if they ever go back but otherwise I'm content to everything up to LEVEL3.

To me, it feels like an eclectic mix of past and present Nakata and whether you vibe with his recent or newer stuff. Me personally, I can jive with the synth heavy, GAME-era vocoder stuff, but man Cosmic Explorer had me *shook* for more epic-sounding songs.

That's a good weekend right there. No problem, happy to see you discovered cool new stuff.

-
Here are all the remaining candidates from the Sakamichi audition. The last step is Showroom livestreams, starting today.

I don't know why but half of them look like they belong in a Miss iD or WACK audition lol
Number 24 is like a cross between Techi and Oda Nana.
Haven't watched any streams but apparently number 15 got 150k viewers so I guess we already know her fate.
Theres so many of them...

I'm a fan of #775 though.

High Collar Girl is fantastic. It might honestly be my favorite Capsule album.

it's weird how vital those early albums still seem. dude just breaks my heart more with each passing year.

How many people in the thread listen to 70s/80s Japanese music? For some reason, I can't get myself to like anything from the 90s onwards, but I'm obsessed with the aesthetics and rhythms of the 80s.

How many people in the thread listen to 70s/80s Japanese music? For some reason, I can't get myself to like anything from the 90s onwards, but I'm obsessed with the aesthetics and rhythms of the 80s.
The only Japanese music I’ve heard is no older than 6/7 years.

Any examples of what you like, to broaden my horizons.

I've dabbled in it. I bought a few Taeko Ohnuki and Mariya Takeuchi albums a while back. Grey Skies is a pretty good album, Sunshower is awesome, and everything else I've listened to hasn't made much of an impression. I think Taeko Ohnuki starts to lose me a bit when she starts to go into italo disco (couldn't get into Romantique very much) and most of the stuff I've heard from Mariya Takeuchi reminds me too much of cheesy 80s adult contemporary ballads to really appeal to me.

Since future funk tends to steal a lot from 70s/early-80s Japanese music I've been exposed to a lot more of it than I originally realized. Like the start of Macross82-99's "Now and Forever" is basically just Tatsuro Yamashita's "Sparkle" and now I love both.

I’m the opposite, I have a hard time going back before, say the mid 90s (and even that is a stretch), it just sounds “old” to me lol
Music doesn’t resonate as much with me if I don’t experience it right when it’s happening.

That being said

I've been addicted to this song for like the past week or so. Does anyone know what the genre is and any similar songs/artists? SiS other songs don't really do it for me.

My boy BokuRiri crushing it as always. Hope an album is coming this year, but he seems too busy getting drunk and talking about Tenga ever since he turned 20.

Oh man, Hirate is going to be on the next Shabekuri007. The small clips of the epi already has me excited!

Also... they accepted so many for the next gen Nogi/Keyaki... Might as well just make Katakana Keyaki a real thing... lol.

Oh man, Hirate is going to be on the next Shabekuri007. The small clips of the epi already has me excited!

Also... they accepted so many for the next gen Nogi/Keyaki... Might as well just make Katakana Keyaki a real thing... lol.
Excited to see it, Shabekuri is my favorite show. Also it’ll silence people who always say “Man, that Hirate girl never laughs or smiles”

As for the new members, they got like 38 right? Divived by 3 you get the standard number of new members I guess, though for Nogizaka they’re gonna reach 50+ members.
I look forward to new blood for Kanji Keyaki tbh
Some drama happened during the whole Showroom thing : that girl who had like 180k viewers? Turns out she’s in an agency that has links to Showroom-related stuff, the biggest “donator” of her stream was someone from that agency. Her stream got shut down the minute this whole thing leaked on Twitter.

Last edited:
Excited to see it, Shabekuri is my favorite show. Also it’ll silence people who always say “Man, that Hirate girl never laughs or smiles”

As for the new members, they got like 38 right? Divived by 3 you get the standard number of new members I guess, though for Nogizaka they’re gonna reach 50+ members.
I look forward to new blood for Kanji Keyaki tbh
Some drama happened during the whole Showroom thing : that girl who had like 180k viewers? Turns out she’s in an agency that has links to Showroom-related stuff, the biggest “donator” of her stream was someone from that agency. Her stream got shut down the minute this whole thing leaked on Twitter.
ohh... was that what happened to #15? Her whole account just disappeared because of that...

ohh... was that what happened to #15? Her whole account just disappeared because of that...
Yup.
At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they also had something to boost her viewcount, cause it was leagues ahead of the others (not to mention regular streams by popular Sakamichi members).
That sucks cause she looked like a cool girl.