Kiseki/Trails Community|OT|Familiar faces~, Zemurian places—SPOILERTAGS OR DIE!

Only problem is I've already started first Trails in the Sky FC on my VITA. Doesn't the file carry over from FC to SC? What about SC to the 3rd?

Strange, after doing more searching, when searching on Google for GoG Trails in the Sky FC it comes up, but searching for FC on GoG's site only SC and the 3rd appear. But I see a pack for all three games. Are there improvements for FC over the PSP (VITA) version, as well?
FC carries some things over to SC and 3rd (which is PC only) in turn has a transfer bonus if you import from SC.

As for improvements; the PC version has widescreen support, auto-saves, high-def portraits, a re-edited translation scripts that puts scenes in line with later games in the series (the PSP script contains some outdated terms and some scenes make less sense) and Turbo mode that allows you to speed up battle animations and walking speed. It's very much an improvement. If you decide to start over, it shouldn't be too hard to find savegames for where you are. Heck, I have savegames for most of the game's plot events.

I decided to just start over on my PC. I did get pretty far with my PSP save file, but it's been quite awhile since I've played it so I thought it would just be better to start over. Besides, I can experience all of the improvements this way, as well.

Pretty early in FC on my computer, but have to say I'm enjoying it a LOT more than playing my PC. I didn't think I would, but I think playing it on a larger screen really helps. I also love that everything can be done with the mouse. You are not forced to move or access menus with keys.

Looking forward to finally getting through FC as I've started it twice now on my PSP, and got quite far the last time with it.

Was looking at the first post of this thread, I saw the part of the fan translations, but which of the Legend of Heroes games have officially been translated? Besides the Trails in the Sky or Cold Steel games?

Last edited:
Pretty early in FC on my computer, but have to say I'm enjoying it a LOT more than playing my PC. I didn't think I would, but I think playing it on a larger screen really helps. I also love that everything can be done with the mouse. You are not forced to move or access menus with keys.

Looking forward to finally getting through FC as I've started it twice now on my PSP, and got quite far the last time with it.

Was looking at the first post of this thread, I saw the part of the fan translations, which of the Legend of Heroes games have officially been translated? Besides the Trails in the Sky or Cold Steel games?
Glad you're enjoying FC PC!

As for English LoH games, that's kind of about it officially. The Gagharv trilogy (unrelated to Trails lore wise, but they're the three games before Sky) have technically been localised, but from what I hear the localisation just isn't very good at all. And the versions localised aren't the best either. It would be best to wait for a remake or something.
There's also Tokyo Xanadu, which isn't a LoH game, but if you end up liking the Cold Steel games then it's for all intents and purposes a fun ARPG spinoff set in modern day Japan. There's even a ton of Trails (and other Falcom games) fanservice in the background.

I finally decided to start working my way through Cold Steel 2 for the first time. I'd been holding off until I heard some news about CS3 being localized but I got tired of waiting.

It's really cute seeing Rean reunite with his classmates. All that relationship building in CS1 seems to be paying off well.

Anyway I just got to the part where a certain cryptic cloaked man helps them cross the bridge... AKA INSTRUCTOR THOMAS!!! I should've known all that goofball shit was just an act! Ugh I'm still such an amateur at spotting twist characters. The constant smiling and those glasses should've been a dead giveaway that something was up. lol

As for English LoH games, that's kind of about it officially. The Gagharv trilogy (unrelated to Trails lore wise, but they're the three games before Sky) have technically been localised, but from what I hear the localisation just isn't very good at all. And the versions localised aren't the best either. It would be best to wait for a remake or something.
There's also Tokyo Xanadu, which isn't a LoH game, but if you end up liking the Cold Steel games then it's for all intents and purposes a fun ARPG spinoff set in modern day Japan. There's even a ton of Trails (and other Falcom games) fanservice in the background.
Don't forget the very first one, Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes, that got an official English release on the TurboGrafx CD. It way more of a Dragon Quest clone than a current LoH game though. But it's a pretty OK game, with FABULOUS voice acting, might I add.

With an avatar like that, blasphemy to Jormungand.
It wasn't for lack of desire, I assure you. I've just become strangely accustomed to having at least one Trails game in my backlog. Once I've finished this one I'll be trapped on a lonely trail with naught but my tears and replays to keep me company. Another lost soul crying out to Aidios, praying that She might send the great hero Xseed to guide me from the darkness! It's not a fate I would wish on any man, but I'm sure that soon enough I shall walk it.

So I've been in a huge Trails binge and discovered this thread right on time to make an unorganized and scattered rant about Cold Steel I, which I've just finished. Spoilers ahead and everything.

I already knew that beforehand, but it's still sort of a shock how much anime the game is. When you have an initial character conflict based on our MC landing on a girl boob by accident, making her pissed at you, you know you went too far. It's resolved mercifully soon, however, and Alisa gets to be a good character in the end, but that was... something. Besides, while I like the graphics and to explore a full 3d environment, the sprites in the dialogue boxes were a huge letdown for me. I loved Sky's designs, Zero/Ao's weren't as good, and these kept the downward trend.

I actually really enjoyed the high school setting, however. It's a different atmosphere from previous Trails games, and it's one that I found really comforting. Getting into the routine of field studies and helping the council, running around the school was actually pretty enjoyable. And Class VII worked as a unit after everything pretty well for me. I could easily see them as a tight group, so that's cool.

Which is... uh, important, because the dialogue isn't as great as previous games. Power of friendship themes and cheesy lines were in previous Trails games as well, and I adore this stuff, but here the delivery wasn't as good. Maybe because it was too frequent, even for small moments, so when it really counted, it didn't really have the necessary impact. It's not really a huge deal, because I like the characters enough and can easily buy their relationship, but it could be better portrayed. The characters by themselves are actually pretty interesting and well-written, even if not as well-written as previous entries. But well, they still have some games of development ahead of them, so here's hoping. At this point, it pales in comparison to Sky's cast, but that's an unfair comparison if I've ever seen one.

Plot-wise, I found the game to be fucking amazing, but was consistently frustrated at how this plot was delivered. I really like the feeling of something big going on in the background while you explore different areas and get a feel for how Erebonia is as a country, but why it seems like every scene has to end with a character looking at them from afar mysteriously? It didn't even advance the plot most of the time, it was just to signal that yes, there is something going on and to... create hype, I guess. I really enjoy the character's backstories which are slowly being revealed, and the unique circumstances each one has, but it gets ridiculous how everyone is hiding something and the story likes to point out that, yes, they are hiding something before actually revealing. Emma was the most egregious case and I still don't really know what's up with her. I mostly like Rean as a protagonist, and the situations we see in the field studies are pretty cool, but EVERY SINGLE INTERESTING THING that happens in a field study happens to Rean's group. I feel bad for everyone that wasn't with him for the ride, it seems like if they stayed at school it would be basically the same thing.

But, I mean, the worldbuilding is pretty fantastic, as is to be expected, and seeing the different factions we were alluded to for so many games actually in action and how tensions are slowly escalating is pretty good. I really wanted to see what would happen next (even if I knew some of what would happens next), and the twists and turns are really exciting. The final chapter is really something else with so many reveals and things happening at once, and I enjoyed all of them, I think. (Although, C's identity reveal is... weird, because I felt like they accepted it pretty fast, there was no real denial time, they went straight to debating the logic of the reveal and not... you know, stare in disbelief at the fact that it was Crow the whole time). This cliffhanger is pretty cruel, by the way. It's worse than FC, and that game wasn't even supposed to be a single game! (maybe Cold Steel wasn't as well?)

Other complaint I couldn't find a good point to bring up: the way the game treats the theme of the class system of the country is... weird. The story constantly shows how it's wrong and outdated and the problems it has, but it seems to refuse to go all the way in actually denouncing it. It gets to a middle ground that doesn't make sense at times. For example, there's a scene were a random NPC has to be lectured on his noble hate because Rean and Laura are so great and not how the rest of the noble, and it seems so... misguided. It just seems like a throwaway attempt at neutrality that doesn't really make sense.

Well, problems apart, I still found this to be a great game and... will probably start II soon, because I can't help myself. I don't know if anyone will actually read this entire rant, but hey, it's good to actually put my feelings into words.

Something I've been meaning to post since I played Ao.
Is Campanella implied to have the Aureole with him during the events of Ao? He can instantly change the way the park looks in the Intermission. In the Final Chapter, he creates a pocket dimension for the boss fight against him and hinders the party by teleporting it around and polymorphing it. All of this lines up with what you'd expect the Sept-Terrion of Space to be able to do, although Campanella also teleports himself in Sky SC, and Bleublanc appears to possess an ability to teleport other people and objects as well. On the other hand, other polymorph effects (shrinking and enlargement) are only seen at locations related to the Aureole (the Liber Ark and Phantasma).

The question is, if Campanella has the Sept-Terrion, why does he have it? He is supposed to have given it to the Grandmaster in Sky the 3rd. Did she give it back to him just in case, even though he never had to use it to advance Ouroboros' plans in Crossbell?

Crack theory alert: the Grandmaster is a voice synthesizer. Campanella is the one running Ouroboros and gathering the Sept-Terrions. He made up the Grandmaster because a flamboyant midget doesn't make for an inspiring figurehead for an international conspiracy.

Another thought: Campanella is quite similar to KeA, Millium, and Altina. Perpetually childlike physique, unnatural hair color. Another homunculus?

Other dots that may or may not connect:
1. Campanella is named after an utopian writer. Utopia literally means "a non-existent place".
2. Campanella breaks the fourth wall.
3. Ouroboros' plan is named after Orpheus. This could be a reference to his failed attempt to lead Euridyce's shadow out of Hades. Alternatively, it could be a reference to Orphism, a religion the disciples of which believed that a human consisted of a divine spark inherited from Dionysus and a sinful material body inherited from titans.
4. The Crossbell arc is full of Gnostic terms (Gnosis, Pleroma, Demiourgos), and adherents of Gnosticism demonized the material as a creation of a false god and sought liberation from it. IIRC, Mariabell calls the Azure Demiourgos a god of the false world before the final fight in Ao.
5. The highest element is called Mirage.
6. The Trails series is shown to exist in the world of Tokyo Xanadu, which possesses a number of similarities to Zemuria: orbal technology, mass produced mechs, strength-enhancing drugs made from otherworldly azure plants, a shadowy organization the top agents of which are known as Enforcers, a knightly order that does black ops for Jesus, a Towa.

Software can get possessed by Greeds.

So I've been in a huge Trails binge and discovered this thread right on time to make an unorganized and scattered rant about Cold Steel I, which I've just finished. Spoilers ahead and everything.

I already knew that beforehand, but it's still sort of a shock how much anime the game is. When you have an initial character conflict based on our MC landing on a girl boob by accident, making her pissed at you, you know you went too far. It's resolved mercifully soon, however, and Alisa gets to be a good character in the end, but that was... something. Besides, while I like the graphics and to explore a full 3d environment, the sprites in the dialogue boxes were a huge letdown for me. I loved Sky's designs, Zero/Ao's weren't as good, and these kept the downward trend.

I actually really enjoyed the high school setting, however. It's a different atmosphere from previous Trails games, and it's one that I found really comforting. Getting into the routine of field studies and helping the council, running around the school was actually pretty enjoyable. And Class VII worked as a unit after everything pretty well for me. I could easily see them as a tight group, so that's cool.

Which is... uh, important, because the dialogue isn't as great as previous games. Power of friendship themes and cheesy lines were in previous Trails games as well, and I adore this stuff, but here the delivery wasn't as good. Maybe because it was too frequent, even for small moments, so when it really counted, it didn't really have the necessary impact. It's not really a huge deal, because I like the characters enough and can easily buy their relationship, but it could be better portrayed. The characters by themselves are actually pretty interesting and well-written, even if not as well-written as previous entries. But well, they still have some games of development ahead of them, so here's hoping. At this point, it pales in comparison to Sky's cast, but that's an unfair comparison if I've ever seen one.

Plot-wise, I found the game to be fucking amazing, but was consistently frustrated at how this plot was delivered. I really like the feeling of something big going on in the background while you explore different areas and get a feel for how Erebonia is as a country, but why it seems like every scene has to end with a character looking at them from afar mysteriously? It didn't even advance the plot most of the time, it was just to signal that yes, there is something going on and to... create hype, I guess. I really enjoy the character's backstories which are slowly being revealed, and the unique circumstances each one has, but it gets ridiculous how everyone is hiding something and the story likes to point out that, yes, they are hiding something before actually revealing. Emma was the most egregious case and I still don't really know what's up with her. I mostly like Rean as a protagonist, and the situations we see in the field studies are pretty cool, but EVERY SINGLE INTERESTING THING that happens in a field study happens to Rean's group. I feel bad for everyone that wasn't with him for the ride, it seems like if they stayed at school it would be basically the same thing.

But, I mean, the worldbuilding is pretty fantastic, as is to be expected, and seeing the different factions we were alluded to for so many games actually in action and how tensions are slowly escalating is pretty good. I really wanted to see what would happen next (even if I knew some of what would happens next), and the twists and turns are really exciting. The final chapter is really something else with so many reveals and things happening at once, and I enjoyed all of them, I think. (Although, C's identity reveal is... weird, because I felt like they accepted it pretty fast, there was no real denial time, they went straight to debating the logic of the reveal and not... you know, stare in disbelief at the fact that it was Crow the whole time). This cliffhanger is pretty cruel, by the way. It's worse than FC, and that game wasn't even supposed to be a single game! (maybe Cold Steel wasn't as well?)

Other complaint I couldn't find a good point to bring up: the way the game treats the theme of the class system of the country is... weird. The story constantly shows how it's wrong and outdated and the problems it has, but it seems to refuse to go all the way in actually denouncing it. It gets to a middle ground that doesn't make sense at times. For example, there's a scene were a random NPC has to be lectured on his noble hate because Rean and Laura are so great and not how the rest of the noble, and it seems so... misguided. It just seems like a throwaway attempt at neutrality that doesn't really make sense.

Well, problems apart, I still found this to be a great game and... will probably start II soon, because I can't help myself. I don't know if anyone will actually read this entire rant, but hey, it's good to actually put my feelings into words.
Cold Steel 1 is a really... interestingly written game. For every ANIME scene, there's typically another scene around the corner that reminds you that hey, it's actually still the same writers, and they secretly largely know what they're doing.
The Alisa boob grab scene is a great example. The actual event? My least favourite scene in the game. The fallout afterwards? Surprisingly well handled. Alisa quickly realises that she's being a bit of an idiot about it, she spends some time trying and failing to apologise, and then the whole thing is over by the beginning of Chapter 1. It's great!... It's just a shame that it took a boob grab scene to happen.

Whilst I'm in this spoiler box, yeah Emma isn't handled the best. By the end it’s established that everyone's suspicious but they just don't want to ask about it if Emma's not comfortable, but they drop so. Many. Hints. They're such teases about it!

I have a few other thoughts, but it's increasingly hard to talk about some of this without the context of CS2? You raise some legitimate issues though.

So I've been in a huge Trails binge and discovered this thread right on time to make an unorganized and scattered rant about Cold Steel I, which I've just finished. Spoilers ahead and everything. -snip-
Yeah, the prologue dungeon and the antics within are not the most elegant example of writing. The writers obviously wanted really badly to manouver the characters into situations where certain points could be brought up, but the manouvers themselves were forced. The über-example was Rean getting a faceful of Alisa and Alisa's tsundere instincts (which are usually pretty mild) kicking into overdrive, JUST so the making up scene before the Celdic trip could happen and the writers could be like: "You were expecting this to be like an Anime and remain an issue all year long, right? Surprise, the characters don't act like Anime characters ALL the time. Yeah, great, but the steps you guys took to get to this point were kinda cringy. The same is true with Machias during the prologue where he's continuously going on about how worried he is for the girls in a monster-infested dungeon, them being girls and all, JUST so Laura can have an excuse to pull out her comically huge blade and Rean then has an excuse to drop the Arseid style-related lore onto the player. Machias' misogyny then disappears for the rest of the game and his one-sided rivalry with Emma is then simply about his competitive nature which he shows to males and females alike.

Speaking of Emma, there's a lore book in the library that somewhat gives away her deal. Celine also spells it out for you less than 10 minutes into the second game. But the fact that the entire class is without any exception insistent on not digging into her background is kind of jarring, even if you excuse the fact that most of them have stuff in their own background they'd rather not talk about.

It's actually not true that the interesting stuff only happens to Rean's group. There are some throwaway lines that hint at the other group occasionally running into complications too.

Regarding the class system, let me start out by saying that if you thought the semi-neutrality schtick was bad now, CS2 will be WAY worse. With that out of the way, the class system in Erebonia is a little bit like the 2nd Amendment in the USA. It's a relic from the country's founding era that made more sense when it was instated than it does now, foreigners are thoroughly puzzled by it while for locals it's very much a part of life so much that they barely even question it, it has staunch supporters and opponents who feel very strongly about it, its downsides are slowly starting to seep into the public conciousness and it's all but impossible to quickly and easily abolish.

I actually kind of like how Falcom dealt with the issue. While the game likes to bring up the neutral POV, the player isn't really given a neutral presentation. Yes, you do meet nobles who are worthy of the name, Rean, Laura, Jusis and even Patrick after he pulls his head out of his ass. But most pro-noble arguments are abstract and hail back to "traditions" and "national identity" rather than concrete points. There's also the fact that Class VII consistently gets sent to areas where Nobles are giving their fellow countrymen grief while they're never deployed to places where the darker side of the Reformists' policies is brought up. There's a reason for this and it's alluded to at the very end of CS2.

I assume you've played Trails in the Sky the 3rd where Olivert gave his take on the issue? He's a lot more anti-Noble and pro-reforms than he lets on in the Cold Steel games, but he also realizes (hence his 3rd way movement and pet project of Class VII) that if the class system isn't gradually phased out but dismantled all at once, it'll create a power vacuum that one person in particular will ruthlessly take advantage of.

The Sky games (and Crossbell most likely too) paint Osborne and his underlings as an international menace and a threat to national sovereignty of other nations. From the POV of countries like Liberl, the Nobles, whose main priority is maintaining their own local influence, are very much the lesser evil compared to Osborne's aggressive expansionism. Then you get to Erebonia and suddenly the lesser/greater evil balance is reversed and you find yourself "rooting for the (evil) empire". The fact that lots of other countries consider Osborne the true menace is something the player's supposed to keep in the back of his mind as he plays through Cold Steel and finds himself sympathizing with him and his faction. :)

Last edited:

Thanks for your response!

Ok, well TitS and Cold Steel will keep me busy enough. Hopefully for future LoH games they will continue to be localized.

Eventually I will need to decide if I will play CS1 & CS2 on my PC or the PS3 versions. I’ve already bought the PS3 versions, but do we know if CS3 is being localized for the home console, or will it be PC only? Like that was done with The 3rd?

However, that is good distance down the road, I have three very long games to get through first before playing Cold Steel. :)

Thanks for your response!

Ok, well TitS and Cold Steel will keep me busy enough. Hopefully for future LoH games they will continue to be localized.

Eventually I will need to decide if I will play CS1 & CS2 on my PC or the PS3 versions. I’ve already bought the PS3 versions, but do we know if CS3 is being localized for the home console, or will it be PC only? Like that was done with The 3rd?

However, that is good distance down the road, I have three very long games to get through first before playing Cold Steel. :)
We technically don't know about CS3, but I have no reason to believe it won't be coming to PS4 and PC. Falcom is placing increasing value on exposure in the Western markets with other releases, and every viable localisation partner would do a pc release at this point.
The only reason that the 3rd didn't get a psp release is because it's a psp game and it came out in 2017. It just wasn't financially viable, and I don't think Falcom has their psp dev kits anymore anyway.
If you can, I would *recommend* playing the CS games on pc, since they have extra features like more voice acting and turbo mode (and a more consistent framerate lol), but since you already own the games don't feel bad if you just want to play the ps3 versions.
But yeah just focus on the Sky games.

Cold Steel 1 is a really... interestingly written game. For every ANIME scene, there's typically another scene around the corner that reminds you that hey, it's actually still the same writers, and they secretly largely know what they're doing.
The Alisa boob grab scene is a great example. The actual event? My least favourite scene in the game. The fallout afterwards? Surprisingly well handled. Alisa quickly realises that she's being a bit of an idiot about it, she spends some time trying and failing to apologise, and then the whole thing is over by the beginning of Chapter 1. It's great!... It's just a shame that it took a boob grab scene to happen.

Whilst I'm in this spoiler box, yeah Emma isn't handled the best. By the end it’s established that everyone's suspicious but they just don't want to ask about it if Emma's not comfortable, but they drop so. Many. Hints. They're such teases about it!

I have a few other thoughts, but it's increasingly hard to talk about some of this without the context of CS2? You raise some legitimate issues though.

Yeah, the prologue dungeon and the antics within are not the most elegant example of writing. The writers obviously wanted really badly to manouver the characters into situations where certain points could be brought up, but the manouvers themselves were forced. The über-example was Rean getting a faceful of Alisa and Alisa's tsundere instincts (which are usually pretty mild) kicking into overdrive, JUST so the making up scene before the Celdic trip could happen and the writers could be like: "You were expecting this to be like an Anime and remain an issue all year long, right? Surprise, the characters don't act like Anime characters ALL the time. Yeah, great, but the steps you guys took to get to this point were kinda cringy. The same is true with Machias during the prologue where he's continuously going on about how worried he is for the girls in a monster-infested dungeon, them being girls and all, JUST so Laura can have an excuse to pull out her comically huge blade and Rean then has an excuse to drop the Arseid style-related lore onto the player. Machias' misogyny then disappears for the rest of the game and his one-sided rivalry with Emma is then simply about his competitive nature which he shows to males and females alike.

Speaking of Emma, there's a lore book in the library that somewhat gives away her deal. Celine also spells it out for you less than 10 minutes into the second game. But the fact that the entire class is without any exception insistent on not digging into her background is kind of jarring, even if you excuse the fact that most of them have stuff in their own background they'd rather not talk about.

It's actually not true that the interesting stuff only happens to Rean's group. There are some throwaway lines that hint at the other group occasionally running into complications too.

Regarding the class system, let me start out by saying that if you thought the semi-neutrality schtick was bad now, CS2 will be WAY worse. With that out of the way, the class system in Erebonia is a little bit like the 2nd Amendment in the USA. It's a relic from the country's founding era that made more sense when it was instated than it does now, foreigners are thoroughly puzzled by it while for locals it's very much a part of life so much that they barely even question it, it has staunch supporters and opponents who feel very strongly about it, its downsides are slowly starting to seep into the public conciousness and it's all but impossible to quickly and easily abolish.

I actually kind of like how Falcom dealt with the issue. While the game likes to bring up the neutral POV, the player isn't really given a neutral presentation. Yes, you do meet nobles who are worthy of the name, Rean, Laura, Jusis and even Patrick after he pulls his head out of his ass. But most pro-noble arguments are abstract and hail back to "traditions" and "national identity" rather than concrete points. There's also the fact that Class VII consistently gets sent to areas where Nobles are giving their fellow countrymen grief while they're never deployed to places where the darker side of the Reformists' policies is brought up. There's a reason for this and it's alluded to at the very end of CS2.

I assume you've played Trails in the Sky the 3rd where Olivert gave his take on the issue? He's a lot more anti-Noble and pro-reforms than he lets on in the Cold Steel games, but he also realizes (hence his 3rd way movement and pet project of Class VII) that if the class system isn't gradually phased out but dismantled all at once, it'll create a power vacuum that one person in particular will ruthlessly take advantage of.

The Sky games (and Crossbell most likely too) paint Osborne and his underlings as an international menace and a threat to national sovereignty of other nations. From the POV of countries like Liberl, the Nobles, whose main priority is maintaining their own local influence, are very much the lesser evil compared to Osborne's aggressive expansionism. Then you get to Erebonia and suddenly the lesser/greater evil balance is reversed and you find yourself "rooting for the (evil) empire". The fact that lots of other countries consider Osborne the true menace is something the player's supposed to keep in the back of his mind as he plays through Cold Steel and finds himself sympathizing with him and his faction. :)
I'll answer you both in the same message since there's some overlap anyway.

Yeah, the aftermath of the Alisa scene is great, I neglected to mention. It was so refreshing to see them actually handling it well and she just admitting it was silly. But I had forgotten about that Machias moment, oh god. This prologue is weird. But I absolutely agree that they have great moments that remind you who's actually writing this series.

I'm exaggerating when I say the other group did literally nothing, but still, the mentions are too throwaway. IIRC, they mention one or two times that they had problems, but not on the level of Rean's group. But... we still don't really know what exactly happened, it never comes up or anything. I want to at least feel like that what the other group did mattered or informed their actions in some way. And maybe it did, but well, they didn't show us. And besides, all the cast problems are there to Rean to observe and solve, and that's actually intentional on Sara's part, apparently. He didn't do much on Laura and Fie's conflict, but he had to be there, I guess. I don't know, I felt like the Sky and Crossbell games did similar things better.

And yeah, I played Trails 3rd, it's actually part of what makes it frustrating to me because I know what the point of view of the game (or at least, of one of the characters we assume we should agree with) is regarding this issue. They just don't want to commit in full to what they already expressed. (Well, it would be way worse if the writers only had this both sides-ism going on and not the rest of the story, so there's that, at least) It's... disappointing that you say that it gets worse, but I understand your point. I noticed that the game seemed more on Osborne's side, but I didn't think much of it. I thought since it was supposed to be a decent entry point we would find out more eventually. I like that you mention that it's intentional on the part of the writers. I understand that it must be very frustrating to answer this knowing all the context from the second game but, yeah. I like your argument, though, and I will keep it in mind for the future. And hopefully soon I will have this full context, lol.

Yeah, the aftermath of the Alisa scene is great, I neglected to mention. It was so refreshing to see them actually handling it well and she just admitting it was silly. But I had forgotten about that Machias moment, oh god. This prologue is weird. But I absolutely agree that they have great moments that remind you who's actually writing this series.

I'm exaggerating when I say the other group did literally nothing, but still, the mentions are too throwaway. IIRC, they mention one or two times that they had problems, but not on the level of Rean's group. But... we still don't really know what exactly happened, it never comes up or anything. I want to at least feel like that what the other group did mattered or informed their actions in some way. And maybe it did, but well, they didn't show us. And besides, all the cast problems are there to Rean to observe and solve, and that's actually intentional on Sara's part, apparently. He didn't do much on Laura and Fie's conflict, but he had to be there, I guess. I don't know, I felt like the Sky and Crossbell games did similar things better.

And yeah, I played Trails 3rd, it's actually part of what makes it frustrating to me because I know what the point of view of the game (or at least, of one of the characters we assume we should agree with) is regarding this issue. They just don't want to commit in full to what they already expressed. (Well, it would be way worse if the writers only had this both sides-ism going on and not the rest of the story, so there's that, at least) It's... disappointing that you say that it gets worse, but I understand your point. I noticed that the game seemed more on Osborne's side, but I didn't think much of it. I thought since it was supposed to be a decent entry point we would find out more eventually. I like that you mention that it's intentional on the part of the writers. I understand that it must be very frustrating to answer this knowing all the context from the second game but, yeah. I like your argument, though, and I will keep it in mind for the future. And hopefully soon I will have this full context, lol.
The conflict here of how Osborne is percieved by differing people and the "conflict" of 2 is how differing factions navigate the wild cocktail that is Erebonia's politics.

1 and 2 show from time to time via detached lore bits how the march from pure nobility to where the country is on the path to dismantling the class system was a long, long process the Reformist Party only sped up. It's almost a reminder (via such cities as Barehard) that Erebonia is very behind the times for many of its neighbors so such a sweeping, modern-day-Earth take on their path isn't germaine to what we're seeing here. Then, there's the fact that Osborne, as we know from where you are in the story, is clearly making that REFORMIST party also about his self-aggrandizement. But that's something that an average Erebonian wouldn't know, and even those in the know mostly reguard it as a threat to THEIR power or if they're in his party, only getting or seeing the bright side of him.

2's conflict and political navigation is more nuanced than many gave it credit for. That's all I can say for now. Just listen for off-hand quips and lore bits reguarding it to get the true picture of "why".

I don't even mind all the plot related stuff happening with Rean's group, I just really wanted more Class VII banter when Rean isn't around, to flesh out some of the other dynamics. The locations they visited sounded cool too, sometimes even cooler than the places Rean's group was going to, so overall, the other group's field days ended up coming off as teasers for a future CS game, and an excuse to tighten the experience of Rean's field days by not having so many characters around that it'd feel superfluous.

The things that happen at the end of CS1 were all crazy, but more than once I found myself thinking that it was lacking the deft touch that truly elevated the high points of the Sky arc. All in all, I'd sum my opinion of CS1 as: what it lacks in finesse relative to what came before, it makes up for in atmosphere. Like you said in your previous post, CS1 is an incredibly comfortable game. I loved the Royal Jenis Academy bits of the Sky games, and CS1 felt like those fleshed out into an entire game. And with a lot of students having their own unique models, the world feels more lively than ever.

Ao no kiseki
chapter 3 ending and chapter 4 beginning were really really great.what is the name of the song at beginning of chapter 4?
I feel early chapters of ao were a bit slow on pacing but things improved a lot.
Maybe the difference from zero was that there i avoided most quests and i rushed thru the main Story and with ao i am doing every quest i see.

We technically don't know about CS3, but I have no reason to believe it won't be coming to PS4 and PC. Falcom is placing increasing value on exposure in the Western markets with other releases, and every viable localisation partner would do a pc release at this point.
The only reason that the 3rd didn't get a psp release is because it's a psp game and it came out in 2017. It just wasn't financially viable, and I don't think Falcom has their psp dev kits anymore anyway.
If you can, I would *recommend* playing the CS games on pc, since they have extra features like more voice acting and turbo mode (and a more consistent framerate lol), but since you already own the games don't feel bad if you just want to play the ps3 versions.
But yeah just focus on the Sky games.
So what exactly is Turbo mode? It basically speeds everything up if you hold down the Alt button?

So what exactly is Turbo mode? It basically speeds everything up if you hold down the Alt button?
Music still plays normally, but aside from that, yes. And the button is customizable, doesn't have to be alt. I usually have it on the mouse, as button 4 or 5.
Once you start noticing how slow the combat is, it's hard to imagine playing it without turbo mode. And this isn't a diss on Trails, I feel a ton of games would be improved by having a Turbo functionality.

Basically. In CS specifically, it also skips some battle animations entirely, but broadly it's useful for animations that you can't skip otherwise (and thus might get a little old after a while), and in the CS games it's useful for getting across a certain large area more quickly.

Music still plays normally, but aside from that, yes. And the button is customizable, doesn't have to be alt. I usually have it on the mouse, as button 4 or 5.
Once you start noticing how slow the combat is, it's hard to imagine playing it without turbo mode. And this isn't a diss on Trails, I feel a ton of games would be improved by having a Turbo functionality.
I will need to try it out when I play again tonight. Right now I’m still in Rolent, about to head off to the Perzel farm.

Thanks.

Basically. In CS specifically, it also skips some battle animations entirely, but broadly it's useful for animations that you can't skip otherwise (and thus might get a little old after a while), and in the CS games it's useful for getting across a certain large area more quickly.
Still haven’t decided if I’m going to play CS on my PC or PS3 (TV). Where I am really enjoying playing Trails in the Sky on my PC, not sure if that will be enough to sway me from playing on my large screen TV. Besides the fact I would need to buy the CS games again for the PC.

However, as I said, I still haven’t decided yet. I guess it depends on how much I am loving playing TitS on my PC/using Turbo after 3 games. :)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
I couldn't imagine playing CS without turbo. Most of the game would have been okay but I don't know if I could have finished the Nord chapter without it.

I really don't see how I could've played Trails without turbo mode. I don't even know how I will manage to play other RPG series that don't have it when I'm done with CS2

I’m looking at more at the Turbo mode for the game, and I see the dialog box (on how to set it) in one of the articles online. I also see another setting for “Transparency”, what is that for? Does that effect the transparency of the monsters when you are running around? I notice the creatures do flicker (are transparent) sometimes. Will turning that off make them solid?

The "transparency" option in the Sky games? That just makes it so when your characters are behind a building or wall, you can still see their silhouettes.

hot take: turbo mode shouldn't be used in a first playthrough outside of speeding up a few aerials and abyss falls as it somewhat undermines the methodical pacing and exploratory ethic of the games. this is nowhere more true than in chapter 8 of SC.

hot take: turbo mode shouldn't be used in a first playthrough outside of speeding up a few aerials and abyss falls as it somewhat undermines the methodical pacing and exploratory ethic of the games. this is nowhere more true than in chapter 8 of SC.
I was buying it, up until you wrote this. Nobody playing Chapter 8 doesn't at some point wish they couldn't get from A to B faster. Nobody.

I kind of agree with lisakreuger. I think it is important that chapter VIII be slow, as to communicate the particular situation the country is in. This makes the end of the chapter all the more rewarding.

All DLC (90 items) from Sen 3 will be available for players who pre-order or the buy the first edition of Sen 4 for free from 27/9 ~ 31/10. They can only be used in Sen 4.
Do we need to register some code before the 31/10, or is just buying the first edition enough? I ask because I'll be in Japan around the 30/10, and I plan on buying the game. But I must know if I have to register the code right away or if this can wait til later in November when I get home.

I kind of agree with lisakreuger. I think it is important that chapter VIII be slow, as to communicate the particular situation the country is in. This makes the end of the chapter all the more rewarding.
I don't agree:
I got the state Liberl was in by the fact that tanks were rolling in, and most of the country was descending into chaos. Don't need to spent half an hour backtracking for that.
And I don't think I would have found the ending any more rewarding if I had to wade through more repetitive animations or just walk around much slower.
And finally, even with Turbo, it's not like I was rushing through the game, it still took me 80 hours. With my way of playing it, it would have been easily over 100 without Turbo, and no, I really appreciate that I could cut the time on the boring bits, to maximize the interesting parts of the combat, and the story moments.

I have no experience with the XSEED's Turbo mode, but Chara-Ani's 'hold down X to speed up battles' was great in the Sora no Kiseki Evolution games. I've never felt the need to speed up the walking speed on the field.

Are there any rumblings about Trails of Cold steel Kai being released here?

I'm hesitant to dust of the PS3 and continue Cold steel 1 on it.
Not a word on them.

On PC, animation speed settings have been a standard feature in turn-based games for decades. Heroes of Might & Magic II, released in 1996, had 3 separate settings: two for the overworld (one for the player's heroes and one for the AI's, allowing you to watch the AI's decisions play out at a lower speed than your own, making them easier to follow) and one for the tactical layer. Sky's complete lack of such settings is an unthinkable omission for a 2004 turn-based PC game.

XSEED's turbo mode is far from perfect. It behaves like a weird hack that requires you to hold a key constantly. There's no way of applying different speed settings for player-controlled and AI-controlled characters. Nevertheless, the idea that the sanctity of the experience is harmed if animations for even the most basic of arts don't take a millennium to play out is a strange one.

I never use turbo out of combat in Sky, though, because the default movement speed feels perfect to me, and going above it is disorienting. I don't use turbo in Cold Steel at all because combat animations don't take anywhere near as long as they do in Sky to begin with, and because Cold Steel's turbo mode skips art and craft animations entirely instead of increasing their speed. Constant fades to black annoy me even more than Sky's low combat animation speed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the name of the music track that plays at beginning of chapter 4 in ao no kiseki? Is It in the original soundtrack?
It Is very tense and good
To Be Continued! It's an arrangement of Zero's credits theme.

As for the PS4 versions of CS and CS II, I don't expect to hear anything about them until CS III is ready to be announced because announcing them without announcing CS III simultaneously will lead to mass hysteria.

It's not chapter 8 you warrants excessive use of Turbo mode, it's goddamn chapter 7 aka the worst damn Kiseki chapter in the franchise

Also "turbo shouldn't be used to mitigate tedium except in this one instance that mitigates tedium" isn't a great argument

Speaking personally, whenever I reached an area with turbo mode, that warranted the use of turbo mode, I could still appreciate how big/difficult to traverse the area was for the characters. It's just that I, the player, have been given a helping hand.
It's not like a fast travel option that would have you skip the area entirely, you still travel it all, it's just. Faster. Not to mention if you use turbo all the time, it's still longer than your usual area, so you'll register that fact as such.