Kiseki/Trails Community|OT|Familiar faces~, Zemurian places—SPOILERTAGS OR DIE!

Don't Famitsu review scores count as a fairly good source for random number generators? So, I guess that's a lucky roll on part of Falcom there. Let's hope it's a good omen.

Small comment about CSII (I finished chapter 1... I think? I'm not far at all):
Rean reuniting with the classmates is honestly heartwarming. He immediately hugging Machias as soon as he see him is great. I'm kinda sad/disappointed that you had to leave people behind when going to Nord, though. That is not a good sign regarding the presence of the characters in the narrative, if they are interchangeable as such.

Small comment about CSII (I finished chapter 1... I think? I'm not far at all):
Rean reuniting with the classmates is honestly heartwarming. He immediately hugging Machias as soon as he see him is great. I'm kinda sad/disappointed that you had to leave people behind when going to Nord, though. That is not a good sign regarding the presence of the characters in the narrative, if they are interchangeable as such.
CS2 kind of handles this weirdly for the sake of gameplay, and I'd be lying if I said the writing doesn't suffer at all as a result of this decision, but they make a few clever decisions, especially in the first third of the game, to make sure they always have a few people in your party they can rely on.
For what they're trying to do, they do an impressive job, even if what they're doing isn't necessarily the best idea in terms of writing. But dat gameplay tho!

CS2 kind of handles this weirdly for the sake of gameplay, and I'd be lying if I said the writing doesn't suffer at all as a result of this decision, but they make a few clever decisions, especially in the first third of the game, to make sure they always have a few people in your party they can rely on.
For what they're trying to do, they do an impressive job, even if what they're doing isn't necessarily the best idea in terms of writing. But dat gameplay tho!
Yeah, that makes sense and I don't doubt they deal well with it, but... yeah, not the best idea. And I will admit, I don't... really care that much about the gameplay. To make things worse, I'm disproportionately salty about the gameplay changes in Cold Steel. I spent three games being dumb and finally getting my head around the quartz system and then the game changes how the system works! Oh well.

There are several reviewers so three scores. Like Famitsu. Be careful if you want to read these reviews, they contain spoilery pictures!
And it seems we really need to play at previous games in order to enjoy it...

Oh, that's it? I thought it was something like "Visuals, Gameplay, Soundtrack" or whatever. Just having it done by three (or four) different people is a weird idea. I guess it allows for some range, though.

And it seems we really need to play at previous games in order to enjoy it...
It really does. This image hit me so hard when I saw it on Falcom's Twitter a few weeks ago:

I can only hope the Western publisher will find the courage to do the right thing. How do you sell a game with scenes like this to an audience that doesn't have proper access to the Crossbell arc? The intended emotional impact isn't going to be there. It's like starting with Sky SC.

It really does. This image hit me so hard when I saw it on Falcom's Twitter a few weeks ago:

I can only hope the Western publisher will find the courage to do the right thing. How do you sell a game with scenes like this to an audience that doesn't have proper access to the Crossbell arc? The intended emotional impact isn't going to be there. It's like starting with Sky SC.
So is that a spoiler for the Crossbell games, or one for CS IV? I did not click it, as I don’t plan to play Crossbell (as it hasn’t been localized), but I do eventually plan to do so with CS IV (I feel the west will get it eventually).

So is that a spoiler for the Crossbell games, or one for CS IV? I did not click it, as I don’t plan to play Crossbell (as it hasn’t been localized), but I do eventually plan to do so with CS IV (I feel the west will get it eventually).
I haven't checked it either (Although I may have seen it somewhere anyway. Damn you twitter), but as a general rule of thumb assume that later games in the series could spoil earlier ones, even if they're not part of the same sub series.
This isn't always true, but with CS3 and 4 it's DEFINITELY something to keep in mind.
From what I've heard, anyway.

I admit I already accepted spoilers for CS3 and 4 as a part of life at this point. The things I know are still pretty context-free, but even so. Trails games are good enough that playing through them knowing plot-points won't ruin the experience much, or that's what I'm telling myself, at least.

It's a spoiler for both. The depicted scene is probably going to be one of CS IV's most touching moments and is a direct follow-up to one of the Crossbell arc's most touching moments.

EDIT:
The picture in question spoils the fact that a certain someone who was introduced in the Sky games appears in Cold Steel 4.
It can spoil more than that even if you haven't played Zero and Ao.
Perceptive Sky SC players are going to recognize the hair color of Renne's mother.

Last edited:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Does CS3 not include a basic synopsis of the prior games? I really think something like that is the most we'll get officially, unless Falcom remakes the Crossbell arc. But even then it would come after CS3 and 4.

Thankfully there are quality fan translations on the way.

It's a spoiler for both. The depicted scene is probably going to be one of CS IV's most touching moments and is a direct follow-up to one of the Crossbell arc's most touching moments.

EDIT:

It can spoil more than that even if you haven't played Zero and Ao.
Perceptive Sky SC players are going to recognize the hair color of Renne's mother.
Hopefully we can get a remake for the Crossbell games for the PS4 (PS5) and/or the PC. Would like to experience the full story, and especially if they continue to make references from the series, as well.

Yes, there is the fan translations coming out, but where I am grateful of the time they put into it, I would rather get an official release.

Do we have an idea on the release date for CS III? Only if general?

If XSEED localizes Zero and Ao, I'm doing the OTs. You non-believers are all unworthy. Does anyone mind?

Do we have an idea on the release date for CS III? Only if general?
Autumn 2019, going purely by the precedent set by the first two Cold Steel games. Maybe winter, since CS III is supposed to have a longer script, and Hatsuu has tweeted about struggling to meet the deadline on Lond, so it's possible that the editing process will start later than originally intended.

That's assuming XSEED is the publisher. If a different company has the license, nobody can predict what's going to happen.

If Crossbell happens (WHICH I BELIEVE IT WILL), the OT title needs to be "Getting over the localisation barrier" or something to that effect. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
I fully believe XSEED could make a pc port happen, if they had the incentive to do so (Read: If more people bought Sky the third). They've performed some miracles with the first Zwei game on pc, for example, and they've ported the CS games, so it's not *that* big a leap to do the Crossbell games, especially Zero which I think has an existing PC port already. It's just ports from Falcom to *any* platform would make things a lot easier, and of course the massive scripts being... well, massive.

Speaking of OT, shouldn't we choose the name for Sen IV's import thread soon enough? Or is it too soon?

Joke suggestion:
Yes, the hero dyes in this one

Obligatory suggestion:
Watch the Damn Fairy Tale until it has finished.

Also:
Everyone is here!

Is this the part where we start going crazy and busting out avatar bets
Because I'm team "Zero will be announced in some form before CS3 is released in English". (Released is another matter, even I'M not that crazy)

Speaking of OT, shouldn't we choose the name for Sen IV's import thread soon enough? Or is it too soon?

Joke suggestion:
Yes, the hero dyes in this one

Obligatory suggestion:
Watch the Damn Fairy Tale until it has finished.

Also:
Everyone is here!
I said a long time ago it should be

"It's All Ogre [Power] Now"

Ribose posted a demo of Geofront's turbo mode implementation for Zero.

Curious what the "analogue speed" part is. On the fly speed adjustment?
Video description (I wasn't home until now; this video was scheduled):

This shows gameplay of Trails from Zero on PC with hacking by JoseJL implementing "turbo mode".

Turbo mode increases the speed of the game with a button held down. By default, your SHIFT key turns the game up to "turbo speed". Your controller triggers control the game speed between 1x (unpressed) and "turbo speed" (fully pressed). The speed of the game is shown in the bottom right (display subject to change).

In this demo, the "turbo speed" setting is set to 4x speed (options are 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x), and only controller is used. This demo shows off that game speed varies as the controller triggers are partially or fully pressed. It also shows that turbo can make battles rather fast, even without skipping S-Crafts. It shows that turbo does not affect framerate (which should hold at 60 fps), music speed, or the ability to navigate menus with digital buttons (controller or keyboard arrows).

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Thought it might be something like that, it's a really cool way to implement turbo.

Didn't see there was more to the Youtube description than the first line. Missed the "Show More" because Youtube's layout is terrible.

If Crossbell happens (WHICH I BELIEVE IT WILL), the OT title needs to be "Getting over the localisation barrier" or something to that effect. Sorry, I don't make the rules.
"Get over the Language Barrier" is what I've been thinking of myself.
Forget OT, if XSEED is localizing Zero and Ao, I'd buy you a copy on whatever platform you choose. You can quote me on that.
Haha, thank you for the offer, but I'd rather hit the buy button myself. I can't imagine the relief I'll feel when the time finally comes.
I won't be importing, and I haven't even been following the promotional materials too closely (looked at screenshots, tried not to read any text), so I'm not sure if I'm in a position to suggest anything good, but:

Sen no Kiseki IV: The End of Saga |OT| Pull My Ogre Trigger
Sen no Kiseki IV: The End of Saga |OT| You Can't Start with This One

Curious what the "analogue speed" part is. On the fly speed adjustment?
Probably that you can use a trigger on a gamepad for the speed-up: The more you press it down, the faster the game gets. Of course, I imagine keeping it at a certain level for a long while might get tiring. Still, not a bad option to have.

Sen no Kiseki IV: The End of Saga |OT| The Legend of Heroes

I'll be offline from the moment Sen IV unlocks until finishing the game. One of the magazines pointed out there won't be any NG+ exclusive content IIRC, so like last time, I'll take my time to gather as much information as possible through quests/NPCs.

After I'm planning to direct my attention to updating the wiki and translating the in-game summary.

I'm still early in FC, but in planning out the order to play the games, what is recommended? I planned on doing all the Trails games and then going right into the Cold Steel ones. But is it recommended to do it differently?

I'm still early in FC, but in planning out the order to play the games, what is recommended? I planned on doing all the Trails games and then going right into the Cold Steel ones. But is it recommended to do it differently?
All the Sky games, CS1 and 2, see what the localisation situation is by the end and plan accordingly. That would be my personal recommendation.
If Zero is announced for localisation, great! Play that, and presumably Azure will happen later because the two games are connected.
If CS3 is announced for localisation, but Zero isn't, you *might* want to check out the fan translation that's being worked on. And then Azure afterwards, before finally playing CS3.
If neither is announced, JOIN THE CLUB.

Doing the first three Sky games first is kind of a given, seeing that you've already started FC. Whether you proceed with the Crossbell games or the Cold Steel games is up to you. Note that the Crossbell games have received no official release; only fan translations that received limited to no editing. Personally, I'd recommend you play all the official ones first and hopefully the edited version of Zero, the first Crossbell game, will be further along by the time you finish CS1 and CS2.

Oops, I meant to say I plan on doing all the Sky games first, not Trails. That's actually all of them. :)

Ok, it sounds like it's better to play Zero (and Azure) between CS2 and CS3. I actually hope they do announce both Zero and Azure will be localized, where I do appreciate the hard work done by the fan translations I would prefer to get official releases. Just never been really PC-savy and not sure how involved it would be to install the fan translation patch(es).

So my last question to you, and everyone else, if nothing is announced, are you going to hold off on CS3 & CS4 for awhile, hoping either will come out (official localization or fan translation), or will you just play the last two Cold Steel games?

Doing the first three Sky games first is kind of a given, seeing that you've already started FC. Whether you proceed with the Crossbell games or the Cold Steel games is up to you. Note that the Crossbell games have received no official release; only fan translations that received limited to no editing. Personally, I'd recommend you play all the official ones first and hopefully the edited version of Zero, the first Crossbell game, will be further along by the time you finish CS1 and CS2.
I do plan on proceeding with the Cold Steel games. Would like to play the Crossbell ones, as well. But not sure if I want to do so if there isn't an official release (for the reason I stated above).

Personally, if I do play the fan translations, it will be a couple of weeks before CS3 releases, or possibly even later if they just aren't completely edited. I *really* want to play the official release if at all possible, a lot of what I enjoy about the writing in Trails is as a result of a stellar localisation, so waiting longer for that is A-OK for me. (I can speed through Trails games if I really need to anyway lol, I really get into them on a first playthrough) If Zero is announced officially in that time and Azure's on the way, that's amazing, and I'll quite happily wait for both. If not... well we'll see.
Regardless of what happens though, I'll be buying CS3 day 1. It just might take a while before I play it.

I'll be buying CS3&4 day one regardless. I'd love for an official translation of Zero and Ao to drop, but I'm trying to make my expectations realistic as these are 4 mondo huge games that will take a lot of time and who knows if they'll all get picked up and what order they do.

I still have some officially localized games to get through at the moment, but if CS3 drops before an official localization of Zero and Ao, I'll def be playing those regardless of the translation probably.