Kiseki/Trails Community|OT|Familiar faces~, Zemurian places—SPOILERTAGS OR DIE!

I might play the Zero fan translation if the real thing (with proper editing) comes out and the game's official status remains unchanged. I'll probably wait playing Azure until briefly before Cold Steel 3 comes out. You can only have your first experience with a game once, might as well wait for a better one. I've never had issues waiting for quality.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oops, I meant to say I plan on doing all the Sky games first, not Trails. That's actually all of them. :)

Ok, it sounds like it's better to play Zero (and Azure) between CS2 and CS3. I actually hope they do announce both Zero and Azure will be localized, where I do appreciate the hard work done by the fan translations I would prefer to get official releases. Just never been really PC-savy and not sure how involved it would be to install the fan translation patch(es).

So my last question to you, and everyone else, if nothing is announced, are you going to hold off on CS3 & CS4 for awhile, hoping either will come out (official localization or fan translation), or will you just play the last two Cold Steel games?

I do plan on proceeding with the Cold Steel games. Would like to play the Crossbell ones, as well. But not sure if I want to do so if there isn't an official release (for the reason I stated above).
There is a lot of debate between release order and CS1->CS2->Zero->Ao->CS3->CS4. Among people that have played everything so far it seems like release order is seen as the better option, even if by a slim margin.

The difficulty of handling the fan translations shouldn't be an issue. Most likely it will just be a matter of installing the Japanese version, running the patch file, selecting ED_ZERO.exe, and that's it. Even if it is somehow more involved, the PSP version should be xdelta which is about as easy as what I just described. Zero is easy to buy too, the PC version is on DLSite and it goes on sale for half price every once in a while, and the PSP version is easy to get on Amazon and Ebay even without importing it yourself.

I played the fan translations that exist now and I personally think going cold steel first is much better because the twists that Crossbell games spoil in it are far more significant, especially considering the context you’ll come in with

There is a lot of debate between release order and CS1->CS2->Zero->Ao->CS3->CS4. Among people that have played everything so far it seems like release order is seen as the better option, even if by a slim margin.

The difficulty of handling the fan translations shouldn't be an issue. Most likely it will just be a matter of installing the Japanese version, running the patch file, selecting ED_ZERO.exe, and that's it. Even if it is somehow more involved, the PSP version should be xdelta which is about as easy as what I just described. Zero is easy to buy too, the PC version is on DLSite and it goes on sale for half price every once in a while, and the PSP version is easy to get on Amazon and Ebay even without importing it yourself.
Not even sure what the release order is with all of the games.

If I did the Crossbell games with the fan translation, it would be on my PC. But that is another thing, not sure what a "DLSite" is, haven't purchased a game like this before (another region) for my PC. Can Ao be bought at the same site?

I played the fan translations that exist now and I personally think going cold steel first is much better because the twists that Crossbell games spoil in it are far more significant, especially considering the context you’ll come in with
So you are recommending CS1-4 and then playing the Crossbell games?

If I did the Crossbell games with the fan translation, it would be on my PC. But that is another thing, not sure what a "DLSite" is, haven't purchased a game like this before (another region) for my PC. Can Ao be bought at the same site?

So you are recommending CS1-4 and then playing the Crossbell games?
Just 1 and 2 then crossbell

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor

DLSite is a Japanese digital distribution site. Zero is here, don't bother "shopping in English" because that game isn't available in English so it won't even show up. Every couple months it's available for 1350 yen which is around $12ish. Someone made an image guide for making an account and checking out.

You can also import a physical copy directly from Falcom but that's much more expensive.

Ao isn't in Japanese on PC so it's much harder to get, I've seen some people mention buying the Chinese version but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it and have details about what the team is planning to do. I'd like to believe sales for Zero have gone up enough Falcom might do Ao PC once they have time for it, but that's not realistic.

Also wanna add that I got my japanese copies of Zero and Ao on PSP off of eBay for about $15 each. Pretty cheap if you’re looking to just collect them like me.

I also have the PC version of Zero which was easy to buy and install. I recommend that route for sure.

Oh wow Sen IV is finally here? And I’m still waiting for Zero damn it, better not look at anything Kiseki related for the next 3/4 years then haha

Last edited:
Did anyone posted the OP yet? I found a blurry link on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNhPbxNz2o

I never paid attention to opening anime in videogames, are they usually this bad?
not really. Seems like a budget thing. The persona 5 opening looks pretty good, p3 and 4 opening looked a bit more sketch on the art given they weren't as big back then. That said it's not that noticeable given the strong stylization. As Jiraiza said Tales always looks good especially since they got ufotable to make them. Haven't played an atelier game so far but those I remember looked good as well.

After the fantastic Sen 3 OP, that is a letdown.
Even that one feels like they only have 1.5 minutes of footage forced onto a 2.5 minutes song. There's a lot of sloooow panning while characters just stand still, hair blowing in the wind. And the traditional "now it's reff so everyone fight!" sequence is so brief with Kurt only having the chance to just turn his head dramatically.

Haven't watched the Sen 4 OP, but I remember being disappointed by Sen 3's OP compared to Tokyo Xanadu's when I watched it a while ago. So if this is disappointing compared to that... oof.

Okay so the real OP for Sen 4 is this one below, the one that plays after you press New Game. The one posted above is the one playing before the title screen. It has the same "style" as the one from Sen 3 and I rather like it.

Also, HEAVY spoilers for Sen 3.

Cold Steel 1 & 2 first ----> Crossbell games ----> Cold Steel 3 & 4

CS3 and especially CS4 is the culmination of all 3 game series
Ok, thanks.

DLSite is a Japanese digital distribution site. Zero is here, don't bother "shopping in English" because that game isn't available in English so it won't even show up. Every couple months it's available for 1350 yen which is around $12ish. Someone made an image guide for making an account and checking out.

You can also import a physical copy directly from Falcom but that's much more expensive.

Ao isn't in Japanese on PC so it's much harder to get, I've seen some people mention buying the Chinese version but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it and have details about what the team is planning to do. I'd like to believe sales for Zero have gone up enough Falcom might do Ao PC once they have time for it, but that's not realistic.
Ugh, sounds like a mess all around. How important are the Crossbell games to the storyline of the LoH games? It just sounds like it's just a lot more of a pain to play both of these game than anticipated. I thought both were available for the PC. And really don't want to play Zero without Ao.

Hopefully Falcom decides to remaster these games, at least Ao for the PC. Then XSEED can localize them.

Uh, that sen 4 dlc sure is something.

So, going by this, since I've only watched streams of some of Sen III and haven't been keeping up as much with IV news,
playable Duvalie? I don't recall any cases of them making DLC outfits for anyone who doesn't become playable at some point.

:clap: This :clap: is :clap: why :clap: an :clap: official :clap: release :clap: would :clap: be :clap: ideal :clap:
(As I say, play all the English Trails games, and then make a decision. Really you don't have all the facts anyway if you're only in sky FC - just enjoy what's available, and then worry about fan translations and all the rest of it if you need to)

Just watched the Sen IV opening and was very disappointed in the quality. Even SC and the 3rd with their stills have far superior openings. Zero and CS1 as well.

The Phantasmal Blaze plan begins in Crossbell and probably ends in Crossbell and Heimdallr so I'll say it's required for CS3 and CS4.
:clap: This :clap: is :clap: why :clap: an :clap: official :clap: release :clap: would :clap: be :clap: ideal :clap:
(As I say, play all the English Trails games, and then make a decision. Really you don't have all the facts anyway if you're only in sky FC - just enjoy what's available, and then worry about fan translations and all the rest of it if you need to)
Just trying to get all the information straight on what is out there. I'm still planning on playing the Sky games as they are self-contained and are all available, but just want to get the full story on what I should do with Cold Steel/Crossbell when the time comes.

It's really disappointing that they have a series, not available in NA, that is smack in the middle of another series and sounds like is integral to the story of it.

Right now I have 5 games to keep me busy for a long time (Sky games and the first two Cross Steel), hopefully things have changed by then. If not, not sure what I will do. I am guessing at the end of CS II (without giving spoilers) it doesn't have any kind of wrap-up and maybe even has some kind of cliff-hanger?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Just trying to get all the information straight on what is out there. I'm still planning on playing the Sky games as they are self-contained and are all available, but just want to get the full story on what I should do with Cold Steel/Crossbell when the time comes.

It's really disappointing that they have a series, not available in NA, that is smack in the middle of another series and sounds like is integral to the story of it.

Right now I have 5 games to keep me busy for a long time (Sky games and the first two Cross Steel), hopefully things have changed by then. If not, not sure what I will do. I am guessing at the end of CS II (without giving spoilers) it doesn't have any kind of wrap-up and maybe even has some kind of cliff-hanger?
I'm pretty sure it's not a cliffhanger (I never actually finished the epilogue), but it's not a definitive ending either since there are a lot of lingering questions and it's clear things aren't finished.

I'd say just don't worry about it figure it out when you get to it. Especially if you don't anticipate getting through the games quickly.

Not a cliffhanger, but it also isn't a kind of ending that makes you think it could have ended there and you'd be happy with it. Especially with the NG+ scenes in the epilogue, it really just leaves you wanting more.

My advice is to finish Sky the 3rd and then stop and wait until XSEED announces their next Trails localization(s), which should happen at E3 2019, if CS III's localization schedule matches that of CS.

We may learn something much sooner as well. Falcom holds shareholder meetings in December, and they announced new projects there in the past (CS III is one of them). If they're going to port or remake Zero and Ao (both to make their localization easier and to serve Falcom's domestic market: despite CS III and CS IV being the finale for the first three arcs, CS and CS II are the only other Trails games currently available on the same platform as CS III and CS IV), this is one place where such plans could be revealed. XSEED could also tease something pretty soon: they tweeted silhouettes of characters from their upcoming, then unannounced games last January.

If by the next E3 it becomes clear that Crossbell is coming, wait for Crossbell. If it's not coming for now and you don't mind skipping ahead, move on to Cold Steel. If you do mind, either keep waiting or look into fan translations and see if the hoops surrounding the PC version of Ao are worth jumping through for yourself.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will probably take Pedetemptim's suggestion and just hold off on starting CS1 & 2 until I hear more (hopefully) about Crossbell.

Well, I just finished the Prologue in FC. As I said in my post earlier, enjoying the game a lot more on the PC. Part of it is because it is on a much larger screen, but also the interface is much better, as well. I'll be honest, I haven't used the Turbo mode all that much as of yet.

Did have one question, and will spoiler it, but:

How important is it for the Poison quartz to drop from the Sky Bandits? One of the FAQs recommends to continue re-doing the fight if the quartz does not drop, but the cut-scene is just painfully long, even blasting by everything in hitting the mouse button. Is Poison that needed or nice to have in Chapter 1 and later? I assume you can synthesize it later on?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will probably take Pedetemptim's suggestion and just hold off on starting CS1 & 2 until I hear more (hopefully) about Crossbell.

Well, I just finished the Prologue in FC. As I said in my post earlier, enjoying the game a lot more on the PC. Part of it is because it is on a much larger screen, but also the interface is much better, as well. I'll be honest, I haven't used the Turbo mode all that much as of yet.

How important is it for the Poison quartz to drop from the Sky Bandits? One of the FAQs recommends to continue re-doing the fight if the quartz does not drop, but the cut-scene is just painfully long, even blasting by everything in hitting the mouse button. Is Poison that needed or nice to have in Chapter 1 and later? I assume you can synthesize it later on?
Sky FC is not a hard game at all. And there are far better quartz than a poison quartz. You're fine. (I never had to grind for drops in the Sky games outside of when the game specifically asks you to do so)

Poison quartz isn't particularly useful. Poison as a status is kind of useless to begin with, since it doesn't do enough damage to make much of a difference. The main use of it this early on (yes, you can synthesize it later, though not in Chapter 1) is having a piece of quartz that gives 3 earth points, meaning that by combining it with certain other quartz, you can have early access to Earth Guard, Earth Wall, Petrify Breath and Stone Impact arts. (Earth Wall and Petrify Breath can be nice, Stone Impact is practically useless if you already have access to Aerial and Hell Gate) Thing is, assuming you're not skimping out on Bracer quests, you should have enough BP to get a Petrify quartz later on in Chapter 1, which has the same elemental value as a Poison quartz and is much more useful if its effect procs. So yeah, don't bother redoing that last battle of the prologue.

Wise words about Trails games endings: They ask three questions for every one they answer.

It's a big reason why they're so devilishly good!

I recommend not using FAQs that go into such minor details, they really suck the fun away. Except for some hidden quests, FC is a straight forward game. Play it like its your own adventure and you will get the most out of it.

I recommend not using FAQs that go into such minor details, they really suck the fun away. Except for some hidden quests, FC is a straight forward game. Play it like its your own adventure and you will get the most out of it.
Don't listen to this person! There are missable side quests in this game, like in every Trails game. A proper, completionist obsessed Trails fan plays with a detailed walkthrough on hand (literally, in my case, as I load them up on my eReader)

Eh, I usually play them blind the first time. Later playthroughs get the walkthrough for some of the more obscure rewards. A proper, completionist obsessed Trails fan talks to every NPC after every plot event anyway and thus will catch most hidden side quests on his own to begin with. ;)

This isn't actually the first time I've gone through FC. I've been through most of it previously, but it's just been so long I've forgotten many things about it. But I have to agree with Mivey in this sense, I have found that FC is a game that is very easy to miss items/bracer quests if you do not use a guide or are extremely thorough. And where I like to think I am relatively thorough, I have missed things before in games and I just don't have time to play this game blindly the first time and then play it a second time to be a 'completionist'. So yes, I do use a guide to make sure I get all the BP and Carnelia chapters.

Quite strange, just noticed that my play time is screwed up. I've always played very slowly with RPGs, and it appeared to be accurate once I got to Mistwald (right before the boss fight) but now I'm noticing it is lower. When I was in Mistwald, it was showing 14 hrs and change where now I am at 12 hours and 14 mins. What makes it even more strange, is saving the game the save file shows at 8 hours.

Hope my game isn't glitching out on me. Well, it appears to be glitching out, but I mean I hope it isn't go to the extent of something worse happening than just my play time. I am playing via GoG, btw.

Yeah that sounds...odd. At a guess though, it's probably just a weird interaction with turbo mode - I can guarantee that your playing experience will not be altered by what your playtime says, so don't worry in that regard.
(The only pc "bug" that I'm familiar with is that the game isn't designed for widescreen, so you'll occasionally see sprites at the edge of the screen doing weird things. Like, Joshua has a clone at one point early on? I promise this is just funny though, don't worry about it)

Yeah that sounds...odd. At a guess though, it's probably just a weird interaction with turbo mode - I can guarantee that your playing experience will not be altered by what your playtime says, so don't worry in that regard.
(The only pc "bug" that I'm familiar with is that the game isn't designed for widescreen, so you'll occasionally see sprites at the edge of the screen doing weird things. Like, Joshua has a clone at one point early on? I promise this is just funny though, don't worry about it)
Well, I was more concerned about my save files disappearing than any playing experiences with the game, as it seems the save files are being affected in some way with the altered playing time. Although I do have multiple save files. It's run quite smoothly so far and just going to keep playing it, screwed up play time and all. Haven't run into any duplicate characters, but yes, that sounds amusing. :)

Just reached Bose.

Well, I was more concerned about my save files disappearing than any playing experiences with the game, as it seems the save files are being affected in some way with the altered playing time. Although I do have multiple save files. It's run quite smoothly so far and just going to keep playing it, screwed up play time and all. Haven't run into any duplicate characters, but yes, that sounds amusing. :)

Just reached Bose.
Awesome! You're making quick progress. :D
Remember, even if the worst happens, the game does keep autosaves every time you enter a room/area on page zero of the saves list. Not to say you should slack on saving, but it's handy to know it's there.

Awesome! You're making quick progress. :D
Remember, even if the worst happens, the game does keep autosaves every time you enter a room/area on page zero of the saves list. Not to say you should slack on saving, but it's handy to know it's there.
Not really, I know I'm pretty slow. But thanks. lol :)

I didn't even know those autosaves were there. lol Looks like the Autosaves have the same screwed up time. Although I noticed the time given on the game page on GoG has the correct time at 16 hrs 21 mins. Very strange all around. As long as it doesn't affect my game, I don't care about the playing time.

But yeah, don't plan on stopping on saving. I actually do so often. I'm pretty paranoid about those kind of things. I probably will actually create more saves now. Thanks again for your help.

Been watching CS4 stream on and off, and now it's over.

Before getting into any impression, here's what happens to our favorite character, huge end game spoiler:

Last edited: