Kiseki/Trails Community|OT|Familiar faces~, Zemurian places—SPOILERTAGS OR DIE!

huge end game spoiler
Ugh. You might want to bold this part and add a second level of spoiler tags here.

Would prevent accidental misclicks from people on smartphones.
Now I'm off to the alternative reality where one can unsee spoilers.

(it's not your fault, of course, you tagged properly. That would just add a little more safety, cause this burns).

Since this is the top of the page, I'll say it for the benefit of everyone here:

THE FOURTH TRAILS OF COLD STEEL GAME, AKA SEN IV, HAS LEAKED IN JAPAN, AND PEOPLE HAVE EXPERIENCED/ARE EXPERIENCING SPOILERIFIC CONTENT AS I TYPE THIS.

CS4 contains spoilers for all the trails games that came before it*. Be careful when both discussing the game if you've played it, and navigating trails content both here and elsewhere if you haven't.

Spoilertags or die.

*Except for the spinoff Nayuta, I assume. I don't actually know.

Is that rumor about Falcom having an exclusive deal for a few years with China a reason why we aren't getting English versions of CS3/4 anytime soon, true?
I'd be surprised if it was. For reference, Cold Steel II had had a simultaneous launch in Japan, South Korea, and China before the first game's English localization was announced.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Is that rumor about Falcom having an exclusive deal for a few years with China a reason why we aren't getting English versions of CS3/4 anytime soon, true?
Sounds pretty dumb to me. The initial rumor sounded like a mistranslation or miscommunication - Sony releasing first in SE Asia is beneficial so people don't import the English release =\= Sony made a deal with Falcom to arbitrarily delay the English release to boost SE Asia sales. Sony doesn't need to make any special deals to ensure the English release comes later. Translating to English takes longer, and we were never going to get CS3 earlier than late 2019 regardless.

The second rumor sounded like the same baseless speculation that's been rampant for months - XSEED and Falcom's relationship is shot, NISA probably localizing CS3, nobody has the license yet because Falcom was sitting on it until Sen 4 released because reasons, etc. FWIW Floofy said this conflicts with what she's heard from some of her contacts, and the rumor post was deleted off the Falcom reddit.

Last edited:
WTF? How do you have an exclusive deal with a country? Who's gonna pay for the deal? The government? Also, CS3 and 4 both have Korean version announced so there's nothing exclusive about their localization.

WTF? How do you have an exclusive deal with a country? Who's gonna pay for the deal? The government? Also, CS3 and 4 both have Korean version announced so there's nothing exclusive about their localization.
by China is was mean as the Sony branch overseeing that region which als oversees Korea, etc. I guess they meany the Asian regions

Throwing your entire western market under the bus and earning a massive amount of bad faith, just to keep a handful of Chinese fans from importing sounds like a deal no sane company would make, especially since the English release was always gonna take longer and there are easier ways to prevent imports. (e.g. enforcing a region lock on the western release)

Why would Falcom even wanna stop people from importing? You still giving them money, and probably more than you would in a Western release, prices in Japan aren't exactly cheap.

Yeah, apparantly the rumor was about the Asian publisher not wanting Chinese fans importing the updated PC versions and as such somehow convincing Falcom to keep the games off the international market for a few years altogether. That's an insane business strategy because Falcom earns bucks regardless of whether Chinese fans buy a Chinese release or import a western version and no matter how popular the franchise is in China, the group of importers wouldn't be nearly large enough to offset the loss in western sales, meaning Falcom has no reason to accept a deal of that kind. So yeah, I'm calling BS on that one.

Another argument against the rumor is that postponing the Western release by one or two years will make one or even both games come out after the launch of PS5 in the West. I imagine Falcom would like to avoid this.

Why would Falcom even wanna stop people from importing? You still giving them money, and probably more than you would in a Western release, prices in Japan aren't exactly cheap.
the rumour is based on Sony not liking Chinese people waiting out for a PC release which is hilariously ridiculous of a fake argument. This is just some 4chan troll probably.

I bought Sen I&II Kai just because and I popped in Sen I Kai to try it out and WOW what an Improvement over the PS3 and Vita versions of the game. I'm thinking about replaying the whole game because this is eons better than what I played.

In what ways is it improved?
A lot of ways! It's in 1080p at 60fps. The PS3 version was at 720p and a very inconsistent 30fps with constant frame drops. The vita versions were understandably lower res and performed even worse. The colors are a lot more muted and not as oversaturated so it looks a lot nicer. Also pressing L2 any time activates "High Speed Mode" which is essentially turbo mode and the cutscenes, traversal, and battles play much faster.

I'm playing the PS3 versions like the peasant I am, but I'd happily snatch them up again on PS4 if they came west... any day now... :(

Anyway, I finished Part 3 of Act 1 on CS2! :)

Got the whole class back together now except for Crow, everybody's favorite terrorist/murderer/traitor that Rean seems to think can somehow be redeemed through the power of love and friendship~

I see Celine has replaced Emma as the resident secret-keeper, where it's clear that she's sitting on a mountain of spoilers but refuses to talk about them because tsundere cat.

The McBurn guy said some interesting things about Rean. Seems to have the same power and referred to him as "mixed"... I have no idea what this means but I'm very excited to find out more. And I remember Celine mentioning this "Steel Maiden" woman in CS1 but I wasn't expecting her to be the 7th Anguis! So many new developments!

Btw fuck all the Albarea's not named Jusis. Goddamn his father is just pure evil. I was really wishing Rean would give him a robot kick to the face before they teleported away. And it's a good thing I like the super hype robot battles because Rean summoning Valimar is starting to feel pretty repetitive. Actually just fuck all the nobles supporting this war in general, and fuck the actual fake news propaganda machine they've turned the Imperial Chronicle into. lol

Just thought I'd share my rambling thoughts.

Just started Sen IV :D long intro which isn't unexpected.

We start off with Lloyd/Estelle/Joshua/Elie/Renne with KeA as a follower ^_^. Loved the intro scene with them all. Especially KeA & Estelle.

Just started Sen IV :D long intro which isn't unexpected.

We start off with Lloyd/Estelle/Joshua/Elie/Renne with KeA as a follower ^_^. Loved the intro scene with them all. Especially KeA & Estelle.
I'm at that part now, so many memories. This is going to be an insane game.

Hello Stuart444 , Ada , would you happen to know how to download the sen4 DLC? I'm asking for a Twitter acquaintance. She said she looked on the JP PSN store from the web and the PS4. Any idea? Thank you.

I'm starting to get a bit bitter about Falcoms handling of the series because there is no way I can experience the whole narrative as intended in this decade because even if CS 3 and 4 get localized, we don't have the damn Crossbell games which get more important with each following entry.

The way to patch Zero on PC will be as simple as described. We're looking to make it so that no file replacement is necessary, and are mostly there. You'll get a patch DLL, a "data_en" folder, and some other stuff to go with it. The ways to acquire it are through DLSite, other digital storefronts, or physically from Falcom. We'll probably outline those in detail on the website.

Azure PC is still in the idea phase for what to do about distribution... but for patching, we hope to mod it similarly.

Azure PC is still in the idea phase for what to do about distribution... but for patching, we hope to mod it similarly.
What baffles me is how Joyoland doesn't even seem to allow purchasing it without using this WeChat payment service, however that works. What's so hard about allowing CC purchases?

probably something to do with merchant fees
Support for Visa and Mastercard don't come for free.
Aren't those fees paid per transaction? And then you could just raise the price for CC purchases to make up for it. I'd also assume there are Chinese speakers (native or second-language), all around the world, who might be interested in buying it, and who live in a country where WeChat isn't a thing, and who probably aren't looking into getting an account just for one game.

Alright, Cold Steel 2 done. I think my feelings are... pretty mixed, to be honest. I will try to describe my feelings on the spoiler section, but... it's pretty hard. If after reading, my points seem scattered or not making much sense, that's probably because they are. I can't really put my finger on what my overall feelings are.

Just to be clear, I still really enjoyed the game, and I'm pretty invested in the plot and setting of the games. That's all pretty well-made and interesting - the factions in conflict, the feeling of so many things influencing one another, the twist and turns. I think the presentation on the political conflict is deserving of analysis, and that may be the most interesting part of the game (even if much of it is inferred rather than directly shown), although I feel like I should wait for the other games (... oh my god) in order to better judge it. So yeah, I have no real problems with the way the story is going, on contrary.

The problem for me is in the delivery. The structure and pacing of this game is kinda... off. The game felt like it was spinning around without really advancing when it should, at the same time that it had to show that a lot was going on and that a huge cast of characters was out there doing their things. It gets... kinda convoluted in a way I didn't feel Trails games being before. By the way, while I really like Class VII as a group, and everyone has at least one very good moment in the game, they... didn't get much to do individually, which I think it's a shame.

I also thought that the series formula didn't really worked with the story they had and it felt... kinda forced. The requests and bonding scenes felt weird in this context. And then there's like two extra chapters after the finale which, well, aren't bad on its own, but aren't helped by their position in the game.

The writing overall is fine, but at various points I enjoyed a scene or character moment more because I saw what they were going for and was on board with it rather than the scene itself being well-executed. I won't deny that the game has tons of amazing moments, some of them may even compete for greatest in the series. But mostly, I felt like they were just moments in a game which had many other parts in which it wasn't really engaging to play.

Just to repeat myself, it's a game I really like, but I just... wanted to like it more. As I've said, it's hard to put in words what I felt about the game. It's a huge and complicated game, for better and for worse.

Well, some other comments:

- I will go with this maybe hot take, but the bonding system was not a good idea, imo. The Sky games had such an amazing romance arc, but Cold Steel has to spread itself thin and tease something with like twenty characters and it's not able to really develop any specific relationship in that aspect, and I think it really suffered from it.

- That may be the darkest Trails game yet, but I feel it should be darker? Seeing the fire in Celdic was harrowing and one of the best moments of the game, but, I mean, that was the only consequence we really saw. And only one person died!

- I usually don't mind or even like the protagonists being clearly weak than the bosses, considering the setting, but the castle went past the breaking point. You didn't really defeat any of the bosses you encounter in what's supposed to be a climactic ascent through it. I guess it's because it's game two of four, but still...

- Is it just me or Ouroboros power levels are really weird? I know McBurn is on another level, but on the other hand, I really don't know how, for example, Bleublanc compare to the rest of the cast at this point. Also, Sharon seems way nerfed when she's fighting by our side, which makes things kinda odd as well.

- Playing the Divertissement without playing the Crossbell games must be a bizarre experience. You have a very climatic scene, credits roll and then you are playing with characters you don't know name-dropping like twenty other characters.

- By the way, I like this chapter and the epilogue, but their placement doesn't help my complaints about the pacing AT ALL. It's not the greatest thing to have such a climatic moment and still have SO MUCH GAME to go through. It's pretty depressing that after Trails consuming my life, I barely had the motivation to finish it because I really didn't want to go through that final dungeon.

- But fuck, that epilogue was heart-wrenching to me. For some reason, it was so uncomfortable to watch. In a good sense, mostly, but still.

Obligatory final Trails ranking: 3rd > SC > Ao > Zero > CS1 > FC> CS2 (but then again, the lowest game is like a 8/10)

You really don't want to think too much about power levels in any of the Trails games. Even in FC, Schera, Zin and Agate are supposed to be way above Estelle and Joshua in terms of effectiveness.

You really don't want to think too much about power levels in any of the Trails games. Even in FC, Schera, Zin and Agate are supposed to be way above Estelle and Joshua in terms of effectiveness.
I'm not sure about Joshua, I feel if he really fights without holding himself back, he might take Zin and Agate on. (Even in story terms, I mean)

I mean, yeah, it's definitely best if I don't think much about it, but I think FC and SC are... fine? Joshua and Estelle were in fact weaker but got strong enough to be on par with the rest eventually. I mean, they got there way too fast, but Trails is basically a shounen action series, that comes with the territory.

I feel like CS2 power level issues are nowhere near Ao power level issues.
Winning vs Arianhrod where she visibly struggles really rubbed me the wrong way, same (but maybe a bit less) vs Arios. Same with knocking out Sigmund, while not being able to do that as effectively vs Shirley. I mean you can say our party went easy on the girl in comparison, but I'm not buying it.

As for CS2, funnily enough the most unbelievable win for me was vs
group of teachers including principal. Once again you can say they went easy on the students and if it's the case then it makes it even worse, but par for the course for the series I guess.

I feel like CS2 power level issues are nowhere near Ao power level issues.
Winning vs Arianhrod where she visibly struggles really rubbed me the wrong way, same (but maybe a bit less) vs Arios. Same with knocking out Sigmund, while not being able to do that as effectively vs Shirley. I mean you can say our party went easy on the girl in comparison, but I'm not buying it.

As for CS2, funnily enough the most unbelievable win for me was vs
group of teachers including principal. Once again you can say they went easy on the students and if it's the case then it makes it even worse, but par for the course for the series I guess.
Well big enemies are never going all out until they truly go all out. You see Arianhrod and other Oroborous members do this all the time. Kneeling to the Ao cast but being more fine against stronger peeps showing up in CS3 and more. Its more inconsistent than anything as things do not add up when they win one fight but struggle another. Best to assume none are 100% until they are bowing out or are in a climactic battle in the end

As for the teachers vs the students. Not all of them are powerhouses like Vandyck. They are just skilled and trained. Remember CS has monsters like Rean, Laura, Emma, and such. And again, probably were not going real serious to win

I just view the power levels in the series to be dumb, in general. As far as I'm concerned, any enemy I easily beat in battle is a loser, and I can't take the enemy seriously if I beat them two to three times in the same game (which happens to most of the enemies in Sky SC). The issue in the series for me is that almost no one actually dies, so you end up fighting characters like Bleublanc again and again in different arcs, and the dissociation between my experience in battle against the enemy versus what the story is saying about said enemy's strength is too much for me to take the enemy seriously. By the end of Cold Steel 2, I viewed most of Ouroboros as a bunch of overrated weaklings due to how effortlessly I beat them in actual battle, which was in sharp contrast to what the scripted cutscenes were trying to tell me otherwise.

I think the enemies' supposed strength is more convincing when the battles are either unwinnable or really difficult to win, which is the case against many bosses in Azure

I just view the power levels in the series to be dumb, in general. As far as I'm concerned, any enemy I easily beat in battle is a loser, and I can't take the enemy seriously if I beat them two to three times in the same game (which happens to most of the enemies in Sky SC). The issue in the series for me is that almost no one actually dies, so you end up fighting characters like Bleublanc again and again in different arcs, and the dissociation between my experience in battle against the enemy versus what the story is saying about said enemy's strength is too much for me to take the enemy seriously. By the end of Cold Steel 2, I viewed most of Ouroboros as a bunch of overrated weaklings due to how effortlessly I beat them in actual battle, which was in sharp contrast to what the scripted cutscenes were trying to tell me otherwise.

I think the enemies' supposed strength is more convincing when the battles are either unwinnable or really difficult to win, which is the case against many bosses in Azure
Don't forget most bosses fight against 4 to 1 odds or 2 to 1. And no a robot help isn't the same as a person. At least that's how I view it. At some point, you gotta suspend your disbelief, in most media. Same reason you keep getting away with messing up with Ouroboros plan, they could've sent Loewe to eradicate Estelle and Joshua as soon as it was clear they were trying to foil their plans.

Or Arios could just straight up murder the entire SSS as soon as they started to mess with Grimwood's plan

XSeed is bringing over the PS4 versions of Cold Steel 1 and 2 in 2019. PS4 versions will have additional PC version voiced lines and dual audio. PC owners get dual audio through free upgrade.

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/the-leg...el-i-and-ii-for-ps4-coming-west-in-early-2019

This pretty much crushes the old "XSeed cannot get JP dubs ever because they're cheap/lazy"-talking point that's been stinking up the internet for years. It's also possibly the biggest glimmer of hope in many months for those who were anxious about the possibility of NISA poaching the series.

Last edited:
I already replayed both of these on PC so I have no need to get these....but those steelbooks!

Enjoy the extra lines though for anyone else double dipping. They do wonders to improve some scenes.