Kiseki/Trails Community|OT|Familiar faces~, Zemurian places—SPOILERTAGS OR DIE!

XSeed is bringing over the PS4 versions of Cold Steel 1 and 2 in 2019. PS4 versions will have additional PC version voiced lines and dual audio. PC owners get dual audio through free upgrade.

https://gematsu.com/2018/10/the-leg...el-i-and-ii-for-ps4-coming-west-in-early-2019

This pretty much crushes the old "XSeed cannot get JP dubs ever because they're cheap/lazy"-talking point that's been stinking up the internet for years. It's also possibly the biggest glimmer of hope in many months for those who were anxious about the possibility of NISA poaching the series.
I still am, even if this does lower the likelihood of that happening.

CS3 is not an attractive project for other publishers since the player base is exclusively those people who already finished the first two games in the arc and raising the number of CS3-players through marketting pushes involves first raising the number of CS1 and CS2 players by also promoting those games. Very few publishers will want to pour money into promoting a competitor's games, so if publishers like NISA can't even promote the PS4 versions of those games as part of their own catalog, it's unlikely they're interested in doing CS3.

If NISA had picked up the PS4 ports of the first two games, that would have been a major red flag. XSeed bringing them to the west instead severely upped the odds of them also being the ones to get the next two games.

If XSEED does the "combo style" LE for these PS4 games that they did for the Lionheart Edition of CS1 I would love that. It was a very novel idea that the LE would have space for the followup game. That's still one of my favorite LEs ever.

I would also like that if they did it for CS3 and CS4...

Next we could use Switch ports of their Falcom games localized on PC, if only to make way for a PC/PS4/Switch release of CSIII. I can live with just PC/PS4, of course, but expanding the market's as good an incentive as any.

Next we could use Switch ports of their Falcom games localized on PC, if only to make way for a PC/PS4/Switch release of CSIII. I can live with just PC/PS4, of course, but expanding the market's as good an incentive as any.
If they could bring over the Sky duology to the Switch it could be the breakthrough the series desperately needs.

I wonder if these are "merely" localizations of the Kai versions, of it they really, really ported the PC code to PS4. I assume the former, but the latter would mean that XSEED finally has a way of getting more of their PC ports over to PS4, a 3rd party studio perhaps that also does PS4 porting for them.

I wonder if these are "merely" localizations of the Kai versions, of it they really, really ported the PC code to PS4. I assume the former, but the latter would mean that XSEED finally has a way of getting more of their PC ports over to PS4, a 3rd party studio perhaps that also does PS4 porting for them.
I think we would have already heard something from Durante if they really used his PC ports. But it's not out of the question since ports from PC to PS4 seem to be pretty easy in general?

I think we would have already heard something from Durante if they really used his PC ports. But it's not out of the question since ports from PC to PS4 seem to be pretty easy in general?
Not the PC versions.
Yeah, they aren't based on the PC versions.
I also don't think they have the full feature set of the PC versions when it comes to the more obscure tech stuff (like draw distance, shadow casters, AO, trSSAA etc.)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/13301531/

Sam Shefcik‏
This is just a rumor, but I have talked to some of the English VA's from the games. Apparently both Xseed, and NIS America are in a bidding war for III and IV, and it is holding things up.
I wonder if that's happening or if that's cover gossip for both companies while they continue to work with Falcom on various projects.

If it's an open bidding war, I'd almost assume NISA has it locked. Far bigger company, and the fact that their respective CEOs seem to be buddies probably doesn't help Falcoms judgement on this.
Though, honestly, it seems far more reasonable for NISA to wait out until the Calvard games, easier entry point for new fans. But, this doesn't seems like a very rational, smart or competent company anyway.

NISA taking Cold Steel III would ruin series sales momentum in the West due to reasons we've discussed before. I expect they're going to try and take over starting with Calvard, but anything now should scare them off. Maybe they're making a bid for the sake of it, not with any intention to actually win. XSEED likely does the same in order to keep face with Falcom.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
I'd be surprised if that tweet is real. Even if a couple of VAs know, I'd doubt they tell some random guy as they were presumably told any news in confidence. CS3 is almost definitely in the translation phase right now.

I refuse to believe they're still on the "who gets the rights" phase, and the translation didn't even start.
Yeah same. If they still were fighting over the game, the translation could only start once this is settled, and who the hell would know when CS3 will ever be released, not to mention CS4...

Switching to the Berenstein universe
If that happens, #WeissmannDidNothingWrong

But yeah, it's a rumor-y rumor. I bet negotiations have already concluded and we're waiting to see who got it. For example, it's about a year since CS III and Varion, XSEED's most common Falcom translator, likely would have finished the translation by now.

I'd be surprised if that tweet is real. Even if a couple of VAs know, I'd doubt they tell some random guy as they were presumably told any news in confidence. CS3 is almost definitely in the translation phase right now.
Why would they even be told? I can't think of a good answer for that, which is why I don't really believe this "rumor".

Kai in 2019 perfectly sets up CS3 for 2020, whoever gets it.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
If that happens, #WeissmannDidNothingWrong

But yeah, it's a rumor-y rumor. I bet negotiations have already concluded and we're waiting to see who got it. For example, it's about a year since CS III and Varion, XSEED's most common Falcom translator, likely would have finished the translation by now.
Any idea when he updated his status to booked? It wouldn't be remotely surprising if CS3 is his current project given that he's translated 3 of the 5 currently available games, but we don't have much else to go on for when it might have started.

The translation approaching completion would fit the timing of Brittany finishing EDM and moving to CS3 though.