Kojima says play MGS3 first if you're new to the series

Oct 25, 2017
George Lucas said it about Star Wars.
CS Lewis said it about Narnia.

They were wrong too. Release over chronological, every time.
He did? Wow. I except Lucas to say it, but going in in chronological order for the Narnia books would just neuter the first few books.

Oct 25, 2017
If you only want to play one game to see if the series is for you, then sure, start with 3. But if you've decided to play the whole series already, play in release order.

Oct 28, 2017
George Lucas said it about Star Wars.
CS Lewis said it about Narnia.

They were wrong too. Release over chronological, every time.
He mentioned controls specifically which are irrelevant for films and literature. Sounds like he's answering the question as if asked by someone that may be turned off by "dated" gameplay mechanics not someone who has already determined they will play every game.

Feb 25, 2018
You didn't even play MG1 and 2.
Didnt need too. Just read the wiki. Dislike nes/snes era games and just wanted to hop in to MgS1 with context. Played all Metal Gear games besides the MG1 and 2

CORRECT ORDER:

MGS4
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid: Portal Ops
Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear 1
Metal Gear Solid 3

Don't bother with Metal Gear Solid 1 or Ground Zeroes, they aren't canon.
Dont forget to put ghost babel in there. Crucial to the lore.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say he'd completely wrong but if you want to play the entire series then start with the first. MGS3 does work as a stand-alone game more or less and MGS1 can feel a bit more dated to today's gamers. MGS2 and MGS4 are sequels where knowledge of previous games is important. So, MGS1 or 3 are the best starting points and MGS3 is a good game to sample the series with since it's less dated.. I'd go for MGS1 personally though.

Oct 25, 2017
France
www.thirdeditions.com
But...Kojima said... :(
No seriously, he's wrong. Don't ignore MGS1 and 2.
And look, he's focusing on "controls" in his tweet, saying MGS3 is more modern. Well it's not different from MGS2, you have more possibilites (like camouflage) but the controls basically feel the same. And honestly, MGS1 is still quite close. The feeling of the controls doesn't really change. It seems like Kojima was just saying "just play the recent ones lol".
He's saying to play MGS3 and 4, and they are the very first and the very last chronologically. That doesn't make any sort of sense, playing only these two would ruin everything :(
Release order, period.

Oct 28, 2017
No seriously, he's wrong. Don't ignore MGS1 and 2. And seriously, he's focusing on "controls" in his tweet, saying MGS3 is more modern. Well it's not different from MGS2, you have more possibilites (like camouflage) but the controls basically feel the same. And honestly, MGS1 is still quite close. The feeling of the controls doesn't really change. It seems like Kojima was just saying "just play the recent ones lol".
They feel nothing alike. The implementation of CQC is probably the biggest "feel" change in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah it should be release order. You could maybe flip 2 and 3 and nothing would change. Either way 1 first and 4 last definitely. I suppose 5 after that but I still haven’t played it yet understood the overall lore fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, he's not wrong. Mgs3 is more modern, and you are more likely to stick with the series.

Story wise, chronologically. That's not the question though.

Oct 25, 2017
France
www.thirdeditions.com
They feel nothing alike. The implementation of CQC is probably the biggest "feel" change in the series.
CQC is the addition of a gameplay element. So of course it doesn't feel like MGS2 since it didn't exist. The rest is about the same, it doesn't feel different when you move around, crawl, press yourself against a wall, handling weapons and interrogating guards is the same, etc...
I mean, the rigidity of Snake is a staple of the series, from MGS1 to Peace Walker (haven't played V yet). And I don't mean that in a bad way.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
His opinions on film are worth noting. He watches a metric ton of them and is able to articulate his thoughts on their pros and cons pretty well. A passionate critic.

His opinions on games, even if they are his own, aren't worth as much. He doesn't play many of them.

Indeed. MGS3 is noticeably less precise and responsive than MGS2.

Oct 28, 2017
CQC is the addition of a gameplay element. So of course it doesn't feel like MGS2 since it didn't exist. The rest is about the same, it doesn't feel different when you move around, crawl, press yourself against a wall, handling weapons and interrogating guards is the same, etc...
I mean, the rigidity of Snake is a staple of the series, from MGS1 to Peace Walker (haven't played V yet). And I don't mean that in a bad way.
You're really downplaying how much cqc comes into how the game feels during a normal playthrough. In a speedrun where you are blind-tranquing enemies and running non-stop then maybe you're right but go play 3 and 2 immediately after. A ton of interaction with the enemies in the game are radically different.

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe he's referring to a case of "If you can only play one, then play MGS3". But then he says that if you like it, play 4, so I'm not sure...

Jun 11, 2018
3 > 1 > 2 > 4 is actually the correct order of story coherence.
Not all stories are made to be ingested in chronological order. MGS is way more interesting with the first two games building the universe and MGS3 serving as a part prequel/part set-up for 4.

Release order is ALWAYS the way to go in serialized storytelling, prequels are always made with the original storyline in mind anyway.

With games it’s even more noticeable. QoL improvements in sequels make going back so much harder.

Jun 4, 2018
Sorry, OP, skimmed over the fact that you're looking to get into the series. Gotta recommend chronological order, here. Start with MGS1, work your way to MGSV. If you love the series, go back and check out the MSX games (included with MGS3) someday.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
CORRECT ORDER:

MGS4
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid: Portal Ops
Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear 1
Metal Gear Solid 3

Don't bother with Metal Gear Solid 1 or Ground Zeroes, they aren't canon.
They need to play Metal Gear 2 NES, 'cause schools don't teach kids about Snake's Revenge like they should

Oct 25, 2017
France
www.thirdeditions.com
You're really downplaying how much cqc comes into how the game feels during a normal playthrough. In a speedrun where you are blind-tranquing enemies and running non-stop then maybe you're right but go play 3 and 2 immediately after. A ton of interaction with the enemies in the game are radically different.
Obviously I'm talking in a rather superficial/casual way here to encourage OP to play in the correct order, I'm not thinking about speedruns and multiple playthroughs. OP shouldn't start with MGS3 because of CQC, and the addition of CQC in MGS3 doesn't make MGS1 and 2 outdated for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck I tried.
I bought all the games.
This was around the time Lords Of Shadow was released or before, because I read Kojima was involved.

I said to myself, "Self, you should play the Metal Gear games". Kojima is a highly regarded game designer. Metal Gear is praised series.

So being me, I read up and planned to play them in story line chronological order. Looked and found the best versions (of the time) and this includes the NES game/s, Twin Snakes for the GameCube, etc.

So chronology, start with 3. I tried. Over and over again. I could not get past that rope bridge in the beginning. There was a snake, and a rope bride and some guys across the way. They kill me Everytime. I dunno if there is a way around, I just couldn't figure it out. To this day.

I need to watch a playthrough. Ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
France
www.thirdeditions.com
Fuck I tried.
I bought all the games.
This was around the time Lords Of Shadow was released or before, because I read Kojima was involved.

I said to myself, "Self, you should play the Metal Gear games". Kojima is a highly regarded game designer. Metal Gear is praised series.

So being me, I read up and planned to play them in story line chronological order. Looked and found the best versions (of the time) and this includes the NES game/s, Twin Snakes for the GameCube, etc.

So chronology, start with 3. I tried. Over and over again. I could not get past that rope bridge in the beginning. There was a snake, and a rope bride and some guys across the way. They kill me Everytime. I dunno if there is a way around, I just couldn't figure it out. To this day.

I need to watch a playthrough. Ridiculous.
You got it all wrong, don't play chronological. Go release order, everytime.
And I'm sure you would have figured out more easily how to get past the bridge if you had played MGS1 and 2 before. There are less things to take into consideration in these two and then you're more experienced when you play 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
mgs1 and 3 are the best.

You can play the game and still understand the story and when it ends if you don't want to continue you can just leave it at that.

They are self contained games but the other games rely on you having played other installments. I think it's fine to start with either.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good starting point because mechanically it allows you to try the original fixed camera angles, but does not restrict you to them if they're not comfortable for you. So basically, you can get your feet wet in the classic gameplay in a story that barely touches the SolidSnake arc. I think it's a good call for people who find the camera to be a bit of a hurdle.

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously I'm talking in a rather superficial/casual way here to encourage OP to play in the correct order, I'm not thinking about speedruns and multiple playthroughs. OP shouldn't start with MGS3 because of CQC, and the addition of CQC in MGS3 doesn't make MGS1 and 2 outdated for me.
Well just depends how casual the person asking the question is. There might be people just interested in trying one of the games and I don't think MGS3 is a bad place to start (or even start and then stop, depending on the person). If someone is already deteremined to play the entire series then I assume they'd already want to play them in release order.

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely works, as long as you dont mind jumping around the progression of the mechanics over the generations it's a great way to play it. Metal Gear is one of the rare series that has evolved its mechanics over such a long period of time, so it can he a bit jarring when jumping from MGSV to Metal Gear. If you can appreciate games from every generation you can absolutely play these in narrative chronological order

Oct 25, 2017
France
www.thirdeditions.com
Well just depends how casual the person asking the question is. There might be people just interested in trying one of the games and I don't think MGS3 is a bad place to start (or even start and then stop, depending on the person). If someone is already deteremined to play the entire series then I assume they'd already want to play them in release order.
Well the OP was definitely conflicted about that because of this damned Kojima :D
As for the games, I would always tell people to start with MGS1 if they want to play them all, but if someone wants to only play one MGS game, then I'd say go for MGS3. Perhaps it didn't come across but I think it's the best in the series.

Oct 26, 2017
Right order

MGS1 : Introduction to Metal Gear world and Solid Snake
MGS2 : Post modern deconstruction of stuff, you see the complete growth of Solid Snake from where he was at the end of MGS to where he is now.
MGS3 : You learn the why Big Boss fell from grace as well as learn how The Patriots organization were originally formed (from the early 1900s), solving the mystery of MGS2.

Enjoy the best trilogy ever

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care what Kojima or anyone else says- release order always. What are you going to do, go through 3, then Peace Walker, then V? Then you're seriously going to go back to MGS1, 2, and then 4? They're going to feel like complete shit to play after going through most of the later games, and that's without even mentioning MSX games.

Oct 25, 2017
Not all stories are made to be ingested in chronological order. MGS is way more interesting with the first two games building the universe and MGS3 serving as a part prequel/part set-up for 4.

Release order is ALWAYS the way to go in serialized storytelling, prequels are always made with the original storyline in mind anyway.

With games it’s even more noticeable. QoL improvements in sequels make going back so much harder.
Yar, I was not being serious and was alluding to my feeling that the third game has the least amount of weird nonsense in it.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol at the people who think they know more than Kojima, who created the fucking games.

With that said, I played them in release order.