Kojima says play MGS3 first if you're new to the series

Anyone who says that playing games out of order due to aged mechanics are ignoring most people at this point have grown up to the last decade of homogenized camera/gunplay.

It's not going to matter if you play MGS3 before MGS2, MGS/MGS2 are already going to be a jarring experience if you're not expecting unique control/camera schemes. MGS3 in itself has extremely unique gunplay and controls, so it's not even that much of a jump.

Lol at the people who think they know more than Kojima, who created the fucking games.

With that said, I played them in release order.
The author is dead

Lol at the people who think they know more than Kojima, who created the fucking games.

With that said, I played them in release order.
I know for sure that you'll get more enjoyment going by release order as if you start with MGS3 you'll be completely oblivious to the references and jokes to prior titles.

Playing MGS3 Subsistence with the 3D camera these days where Square is shoot (or R1 + Square for first person shooting without being able to move) is extremely jarring and difficult to adjust especially for someone who didn't grew up playing these games back when they were new. You'll be pleading for L1 + R1 for aiming and shooting like every MGS game after 3 and every third person videogame ever since 2005.

George Lucas said it about Star Wars.
CS Lewis said it about Narnia.

They were wrong too. Release over chronological, every time.
Bull, I like Magician's nephew way, more than the LW and W. chronological was way more fun to see the entire world of Narnia from birth to end without jumping around as it felt like a series of fantasy history books.

Though I really think some of you should live a little, good lord, Release order is most certainty not the best every time, other wise you all should be starting with MG on the MSX, since that game still carries weight all the way through to MGS5. But I'm somebody that started with MGS2, and still had a lovely time.

I would definitely suggest order of release, see how the series grew is best for first time. Although I myself have been wanting to do a chronological play through, going from MGS3 to Peace Walker and V all up to MGS4. I'd be curious to see how well the continuity gels together when put up to that type of scrutiny. Although I'd never suggest any play it in that order for first time. Gotta disagree with Kojima on this one.

Fuck I tried.
I bought all the games.
This was around the time Lords Of Shadow was released or before, because I read Kojima was involved.

I said to myself, "Self, you should play the Metal Gear games". Kojima is a highly regarded game designer. Metal Gear is praised series.

So being me, I read up and planned to play them in story line chronological order. Looked and found the best versions (of the time) and this includes the NES game/s, Twin Snakes for the GameCube, etc.

So chronology, start with 3. I tried. Over and over again. I could not get past that rope bridge in the beginning. There was a snake, and a rope bride and some guys across the way. They kill me Everytime. I dunno if there is a way around, I just couldn't figure it out. To this day.

I need to watch a playthrough. Ridiculous.
so, because you like castlevania and read kojima was involved in lords of shadow you bought all mgs games,played 10 minutes of 3 and quit, is that it?

i have a similar experience with 3, the controls are a nightmare to get into, between all that analogic face buttons non sense, clunky camouflage system, no radar and enemies super sharp vision i could never get too far into that one although i completed the first two mgs games. The first is awesome, didnt like the second

Release order. I find that the going with the release date it's a lot less jarring gameplay wise. Also, it's much easier to spot the story retcons and story flaws that way.

If you're old enough to have been around when .Mgs1 came out you'd know how much your mind was blown in the jump in gameplay and sorry development from the og. It's nice seeing how the game evolved over time

I did start with 3. Then Twin Snakes, then MGS2 and then MGS4.

Everyone says MGS 1 on the PSX is the better version. But PSX games have aged horribly for me. Blocky 3D graphics are so tough to look at.
Except Silent Hill, that shit was the bomb back when I played it... in 2009.

That's if you want to play that much of the series. MGS1 is the leanest, best game.

I would say play release order until MGS3, and stop cold turkey.

He mentioned controls specifically which are irrelevant for films and literature. Sounds like he's answering the question as if asked by someone that may be turned off by "dated" gameplay mechanics not someone who has already determined they will play every game.
This is exactly what I took from his (5 year old) tweet. Hes saying that because the controls os MGS may come off as janky to someone whos used to more modern controls, has nothing to do with anything beyond that.

In a perfect world, I'd say release order. But if I'm suggesting this series to a friend who is only tangentially interested, the controls need to be tighter than what MGS is offering. So MGS3 is a pretty good starting point.

Note: This is an uninformed opinion, since I don't have a ton of experience with the series yet.

He's right about the controls and such imo. I somewhat recently started playing the series for the first time, and was able to play through MGS1, but had a very hard time trying to get through MGS2. I love the story in both games, but the gameplay really wore me down. I'm not a fan of stealth. So that's a dead giveaway right there. But it didn't help that MGS2's controls were so clunky, relative to modern games.

I just started MGS3 and while it's still early for me, I'm liking it a lot more so far. It still doesn't really feel modern, but it does feel like an improvement. I like the freer camera (in the Subsistence/HD version) compared to the fixed camera of MGS1 and 2. I like the more naturalistic stealth elements as well, as far as stealth goes. And so far, at least, I like not having a radar. It makes the gameplay less about staring at enemy visibility ranges in a corner of the screen and memorizing those strict patterns and more about observing the world around you and reacting in a more natural way instead. Or maybe I just suck at stealth and should have been doing that from the beginning, even in MGS1 and 2. I don't know! But that's how I feel about it so far.

So while playing in release order might actually be best for story reasons, since you'll follow all the twists and turns as other players did over the years, I think Kojima's point about starting with MGS3 and then moving to 4 just because they feel more modern is a good idea too. Why not start with the most refined gameplay, see if you like it, and then if you do get hooked it'll make it easier to push through the rough edges of the earlier games since you're already deep in that world's narrative.

EDIT: Jeez, this tweet's from 2013?

Last edited:
Whatever order you play, play MGSV last since it’ll ruin the previous games. And by that I mean it’s far and away the most fun Metal Gear by a country mile with its tight controls and insanely addictive gameplay loop. I really enjoyed the Metal Gear backstory and characters before V. But after V? I’m a huge fan all over again. Loved how they developed Miller and Ocelot in this. They bring so much to the MG world here.

Plus, the game is infinitely replayable. I think I’ve clocked 500 hours so far and I don’t even play online. Just going out to collect resources to further progress the meta-game of base building and expansion is just as satisfying.

So yea, start with release order and enjoy one of the best series of all time.

No way. You can't go back to the mess that is 2, after the glory of 3.

That's not to even speak of the gameplay improvements that came with subsistence that would making going backward even harder.
I've never played 3, I started 2 recently and I'm still on the tanker, I'm not having any fun at all. The camera angles kind of suck, first-person mode sucks. Does 3 have first-person mode as a necessity?

I agree with him. Well, I've always thought you could start with either Metal Gear, Solid Snake, MGS, or Snake Eater, that is. If you were to only play one I'd recommend 1 or 3 depending on the tastes of the person in question.

I wouldn't recommend someone start with 2, 4, or V, however. Not that they're bad games or ones I dislike—I just don't see how they could work well without context.

I might recommend someone start with Revengeance too if they're more interested in action than stealth.

I agree with him. Well, I've always thought you could start with either Metal Gear, MGS, or Snake Eater, that is. If you were to only play one I'd recommend 1 or 3 depending on the tastes of the person question.

I wouldn't recommend someone start with 2, 4, or V, however. Not that they're bad games or ones I dislike, but I just don't seem them working well without context.
I definitely agree about 2 and 4. The entire theme of 2 revolves around noticing similarities between Raiden’s Big Shell Mission and Shadow Moses before Ocelot drops the big twist at the end of the game, while 4 is just a big culmination of everything 1-3 and not nearly as enjoyable if you haven’t been following these characters.

However, while V’s story itself is definitely a continuation, it seems to take a back seat to such stellar gameplay that I still think those who aren’t series veterans could get some mileage out of the game simply as an open world stealth sandbox

However, while V’s story itself is definitely a continuation, it seems to take a back seat to such stellar gameplay that I still think those who aren’t series veterans could get some mileage out of the game.
Definitely, and I've known people that have. I still wouldn't heartily recommend it, but I don't think it's a mistake either.

I've never played 3, I started 2 recently and I'm still on the tanker, I'm not having any fun at all. The camera angles kind of suck, first-person mode sucks. Does 3 have first-person mode as a necessity?
2 took me a while to get used to even after playing 1, first person mode blew. It ended up being fun though after the tanker, and my favorite for where it went with the story

Btw I also played them 2 months ago for the first time so my experience was recent too

The original version did, because it had the same camera system even though the areas were bigger and outdoors which was fustrating as hell. But subsistence and every rerelease has been based on it has a close behind the back free camera which negates alot of the mandatory need for the first person view that the second and first games did just to see shit. So while it's better, you will still have to go into it because, unless I'm misremembering, it doesn't have a third shooting person mode, like 4 finally adapted. All your aiming still has to be done by switching to first person.

2 took me a while to get used to even after playing 1, first person mode blew. It ended up being fun though after the tanker, and my favorite for where it went with the story

Btw I also played them 2 months ago for the first time so my experience was recent too
I'm still on the tanker, I beat the boss and wasn't paying attention to what I had to do next so I have to figure that out. I liked MGS1 a lot so I was surprised with the direction for 2. Maybe I'll keep playing to see if it gets any better.

I'm still on the tanker, I beat the boss and wasn't paying attention to what I had to do next so I have to figure that out. I liked MGS1 a lot so I was surprised with the direction for 2. Maybe I'll keep playing to see if it gets any better.
Once you get used to first person, 2 is actually better to play than 1 imo. There’s a pretty annoying segment where you fight a few guards at the end of the tanker part but after that I don’t remember being bothered by the gameplay again. But don’t worry, I was in the same spot you were and initially disappointed by the changes

Also, if you wanted help on where to go
im pretty sure you’re supposed to go to the bottom of the ship to take pics of the Metal Gear
if not call Otacon he’ll probably tell you

CORRECT ORDER:

MGS4
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid: Portal Ops
Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear 1
Metal Gear Solid 3

Don't bother with Metal Gear Solid 1 or Ground Zeroes, they aren't canon.
Well done sir this caused me physical pain. My only improvement would be to throw Zone in the Enders in there somewhere or possibly a Sonic title ;)