LEGO ERA |OT| Rebuilding One Brick at a Time.

I also finished Destiny's Bounty (yesterday). Loved it and a big part of that was each bag had its own number. I could pace myself with a bag a day and not have tubs of loose parts lying around for the cats to knock over overnight. That's my biggest gripe with the modular sets is you get 2XXX pieces and "4" bags.

What is this? A mix between Ideas and Designbyme?

Collaboration with the LEGO Group - Introducing the AFOL Designer Program

Today is such an exciting day at the BrickLink office because we finally get to reveal a very special collaboration with none other than the LEGO Group. We’ve been bursting at the seams because of how long we’ve had to keep this program a secret! Now that we’ve all had a minute to scream and catch our breaths, let’s get into the details. 

What is the AFOL Designer Program?

This program celebrates creativity by realizing unique AFOL designs with truly original themes. What better timing than to kick it off in the year of the 60th anniversary of the LEGO brick? For a limited time, BrickLink will be hosting the AFOL Designer Program. We are honored to help highlight your creativity and help make your designs a reality.

Where can I get more information?

An official announcement and more details about the program will be revealed Wednesday, September 12th. Mark your calendars!   

-BrickLink Team 
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/community/newsview.page?msgid=1105486

JetBlackSVW Pics of the stand for SPACESHIP! ?
Curious what you did for yours.
It's just a copy of yours, minus the part with the minifigures. As I said I was a lurker in the old Neogaf OT, but coudn't post there. So I was never able to properly thank you for your constuction. But now I'm able to thank you for that cool stand!

Awesome stuff JetBlack. You beat me and still have your Helms Deep up. I really want to find some space to put mine back up.
Yeah I still have it up, at least until Lego is able to release a proper castle again. I like Helms Deep because on one hand it is from Lord of the Rings and on the other hand it's something like a Lego Castle that I always wanted as a child but never got.

BTW, these are my first Lego sets after almost 2 years:

The vip set is kinda cool as a freebie and the Star Wars sets I bought mostly for the figures, (my first Darth Vader!) but the sets themselves are quite good for their size.

Yeah I still have it up, at least until Lego is able to release a proper castle again. I like Helms Deep because on one hand it is from Lord of the Rings and on the other hand it's something like a Lego Castle that I always wanted as a child but never got.

BTW, these are my first Lego sets after almost 2 years:

The vip set is kinda cool as a freebie and the Star Wars sets I bought mostly for the figures, (my first Darth Vader!) but the sets themselves are quite good for their size.
You know Vampyres Castle from Monster Fighters was a really nice castle. And it’s actually not that bad in aftermarket prices.

You know Vampyres Castle from Monster Fighters was a really nice castle. And it’s actually not that bad in aftermarket prices.
Yes, I loved the Monster Fighters series, I even got the Zombies set at msrp (but sold it later). I prefered the Haunted House to the castle, but when I had the funds for it (had to catch up on modulars first at that time) it went oop:(

Good to know the castle is still affordable.

I'm rebuilding the Haunted House right now and I realized there hasn't been any new Halloween/horror/spooky sets since Monster Fighters right? Apart from the little annual seasonal sets I mean.

We really need more of those. Fngers crossed for something in the next few years.

Built the Aston Martin yesterday, kind of fun but applying stickers is frustrating, especially as they're not usually flush to the sides and can be fiddly to deploy effectively (e.g. getting the number plate stickers properly aligned).

I'm rebuilding the Haunted House right now and I realized there hasn't been any new Halloween/horror/spooky sets since Monster Fighters right? Apart from the little annual seasonal sets I mean.

We really need more of those. Fngers crossed for something in the next few years.
Check out the Scooby Doo line.

Congrats. It's still my favourite Lego set I own. Mostly because I love Disney, but it's also so cool to build and amazing to look at.
Looking forward to build it with my GF! We even picked it up at disneyland paris :)
That box looks thin compared to the box I remember. Did they shrink the packaging down, or is that bag larger than I imagine and it is my mind playing tricks on me? I am guessing the latter.

And, also, enjoy the build. It is truly magnificent.
The picture doesn't do it justice. It's huuuuge and heavy af!

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Yeah, mind playing tricks on me confirmed as expected. Yes, the box is massive and heavy. That size box was the biggest on shelves for a while. Until a certain Corellian Freighter came along last year.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Yeah, but are there any improvements or anything of going with Bluetooth? There's still some older sets for sale.
Oh, I am sorry. I misunderstood the question.

I am honestly not sure of any improvements. Using any cell phone or tablet as a controller should be good, but I am not sure about power output on them or anything. And I don't think they have a rechargeable version yet, but I really have not looked too closely at it.

Check out the Scooby Doo line.
Oh yeah that's true, I feel bad for not remembering. I was interested in the Mystery Mansion but really couldn't afford any Lego back when it was available (and I'm not a fan of paying over MSRP). But yeah, these were great. I won't miss the next wave of spooky sets though now that my financial situation has improved!

Oh, I am sorry. I misunderstood the question.

I am honestly not sure of any improvements. Using any cell phone or tablet as a controller should be good, but I am not sure about power output on them or anything. And I don't think they have a rechargeable version yet, but I really have not looked too closely at it.
From the reviews I have read on eurobricks it seems to have a slight improvement on the power front but not really noticeable. The biggest gain is Bluetooth (range) and the lack of the receiver. Not so much for upgrade right now but I may mod my old trains with them in the future. No rechargeable battery pack is still a let down, I don’t like to take the trains apart to change batteries.

Bought a large City set on sale, Coast Guard Headquarters. It was ok but ultimately the builds feel shallow. At least it gets me nice floaty boat hulls, maybe some day I'll have fun trying to build motorized PF mocs with them.

Yeah, but are there any improvements or anything of going with Bluetooth? There's still some older sets for sale.
There are, the system might have some drawbacks (non-stacking connectors, strange physical remote,...) but the possibilities are quite broad. And unlike the IR remote it does not have to be only LEGO working on them.

Then control unit is a simplified version of the BOOST hub which is related to the WeDo 2.0 hub. Although hubs are not directly compatible (like using WeDo SW on trains), their accessories are. And the experiences of people 'hacking' the older ones transfer to the new ones making faster to come up with ideas.

Look into this thread https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162288-powered-up-a-tear-down/&page=1
There is already a 3rd party simple iOS app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/up-control-pro/id1400229169?mt=8
Somebody has BOOST color sensor connected to the train hub and controlled from PC
once he put it into broader scope:
"I had a bit of spare time this morning, so I had a chance to put some of my code to the test. I put up a temporary train layout in my living room with a couple of trains, and decided to automate it. Here's a video:
LPF2 components used:
* Maersk 10219 - Powered Up Hub, Powered Up Train Motor, and Boost Color Sensor
* Horizon Express 10233 - Powered Up Hub and Powered Up Train Motor
* Outer Switch - Powered Up Hub with WeDo 2.0 Medium Motor
* Inner Switch - Boost Move Hub with Boost Interactive Motor
* Stop Detection for Horizon Express - WeDo 2.0 Smart Hub with WeDo 2.0 Distance Sensor"

Last edited:
Does anyone else think the advent calendars are getting worse each year?

We always get my son one but this year the Star Wars one is really unappealing and City not much better.

Wish they’d mix it up with a marvel or DC one.

Finally built our Cinderella Castle and have it proudly displayed on the breakfast bar although I went to move it slightly one day and the top section fell off and broke apart, I could have cried but managed to piece it all back together.

Love it but I must remember to remove the top section if ever moving it at all it’s really not too sturdy.

Winter Village Fire Station Designer Video

Why do the doors open inwards? "Hey, there's a person burning alive down the street but first we must back up the truck so we can open the doors"

I’m making a river for the fishing hut; doing it the most tedious way possible too. It’s just the beginning, so I’ll need to play with it a bit more and get some blue pieces. I bought three cups full of the little clear dots. I hope it’s enough.

More details:

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/afoldesigner.page

• Design whatever you want, 200-2000 pieces, from a restricted palette in stud.io v2
  • Entry deadline Nov 18th
  • LEGO will select up to 20 sets to put out for crowdfunding in Feb 2019. $10,000 target for each set.
  • Shipping/general release in April, only available on Bricklink
  • Creators get 10% of revenue
(stud.io v2 looks great btw)

Last edited:
I’m making a river for the fishing hut; doing it the most tedious way possible too. It’s just the beginning, so I’ll need to play with it a bit more and get some blue pieces. I bought three cups full of the little clear dots. I hope it’s enough.

Why not do it like in Ninjago City? There's a really neat design there for water surfaces.

There's still the issue with Paypal taking a cut as well, but yeah, Bricklink is pretty cheap. I think on Ebay you could sell things for more since people don't know what they're actually worth, while Bricklink is a more knowledgable place which also discloses how much things have sold for. It's probably also much less likely that you'll get scammed on Bricklink.

The main thing is that you don't need to keep relisting stuff. It just sits in your inventory until suddenly someone buys it, pays through Paypal and all you have to do is ship it.