Edit: Now live
Available only in regions served by PSN north america, as PSN Europe can't be bothered. it's free though, and region free, so people just need to create a US account to grab it, and set their PS4 as their home console for that account.
Edit: avatars are now live as well:
Archived development below:
Yeah, you read that title correctly. After s fair amount of time, a little hand wringing, and a kind of a weird DM to Cerium, here were are. I've had no shortage of requests for an Era dynamic theme, we just finished up with E3, we're in the middle of some other stuff, but now seemed like a reasonable time.
This is being conceived, first and foremost, as a community project. Something to help ease the doldrums of summer (seriously, who actually plays videogames, anyway?). I will consider any constructive input that you folks want to give. Our mission will be to create a premium-quality dynamic theme that will feature much of the proprietary programming I've developed over the years (it was kind of strange to write that).
- What do you get out of this?
Not much really - I enjoy the process. I've done work like this for companies big and small, from Lions Gate to Sony to Iridium. I guess I like making shit, and having community engagement that's positive is nice for a change. Or maybe I like having a captive audience for my attempts at music. That said, it should be clear my work on this doesn't imply any sort of association or affiliation. And in line with the terms of service, I am not promoting my own work beyond signing this one. As the next point makes clear...
- The ERA theme, once complete, will be distributed 100% for free once it is done.
Though my studio (well, me) is creating this, it's really just intended to be a fun / interesting project and a way of killing some of that pesky free time I sometimes find stuck between the cushions of the couch.
- We will probably create a couple Avatars as well, to complete the package.
Sorry, no guns or flaming skulls. They will be free as well, though.
- It will be available on the North American PSN only, since SIEE has separate requirements for distribution of dynamic themes on their store that it will not satisfy. I have no control over this.
Take heart, however, as, since it will be region free, if you live in any other regions you will simply need to create a North American account to download it.
- In addition to the visuals, we will also compose custom music and sound effects.
So please be excited?
- If posting suggestions, Please, please, please, do not request inclusion of licensed content. And be judicious about reference material - I'd like to avoid any cross-pollination of anyone else's ideas. But, if I've ever made something in the past that you think we should revisit with this, by all means, feel free to remind me or post a video.
- I plan on possibly doing some 'live coding' sessions on the weekends.
I will set up a YouTube stream that will allow us to take real-time input and let you see the theme evolve. (but only if there is interest).
- Suggestions are welcome and of course encouraged, but I'm not restricting myself to those ideas.
I've got a mind of my own, after all.
- I'm chipping away at somewhat minimalist and clean.
I think that will appeal to most folks.
- Icon customization will be minimal, and stick to the standard stock icons.
Colors will be dictated by the theme's overall . . .uh . .theme.
- The theme will utilize time-of-day functions to employ both light and dark themes, if the overall design lends to it.
Meaning it will have some component of "Day" Era during the daytime, and "Dark" Era color schemes at night.
- The gif at the top is just something I made for this thread.
I expect the actual theme to be cooler.
- There is no release date.
It's done when it's done.
- The site administrators have final review / say before anything gets submitted.
Not to dictate actual content, mind you, rather to ensure they feel the quality of the final product is up to par. This is per my request, not theirs :)
- Once up, they won't necessarily be up indefinitely.
- I really like bullet lists and bold fonts.
Double spacing is neat too.
I'll update this thread periodically, and I'll update the OP with live stream session times in advance if there's enough interest.