Let's Create the Official ResetEra PS4 Dynamic Theme (Update: Avatars Added!)

Alright. next up, text legibility.

….

Because we flip from light neutral gray to a dark neutral gray, legibility will be key for notifications.
A couple of our options:

Basically, we can do either white, or a very light purple / pink. It may not necessarily read as "pink" with general use regardless. Anything darker, and it's difficult to read in the lower content screen.
Thoughts?
Can't it go from the purple like on the regular view to a super deep/black purple at night? White/light gray is gonna kill my eyes anyways if gaming in the day. I think that would also eliminate the issue of the legibility. Just my $0.02

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Can't it go from the purple like on the regular view to a super deep/black purple at night? White/light gray is gonna kill my eyes anyways if gaming in the day. I think that would also eliminate the issue of the legibility. Just my $0.02
No, unfortunately not

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
I am scheduling a live stream event for tomorrow, July 6, at 1:00 PM Eastern time (GMT-5). This will be a chance to see the theme live, give feedback, and such. May also be a couple surprises here and there. No promises :).

I’ll update this post and the OP with the livestream link, though it will be at https://YouTube.com/truantpixel either way.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Alright. next up, text legibility.

Because presently the function screen utilizes the ERA purple, any light color will work.

Because we flip from light neutral gray to a dark neutral gray, legibility will be key for notifications.
A couple of our options:

Basically, we can do either white, or a very light purple / pink. It may not necessarily read as "pink" with general use regardless. Anything darker, and it's difficult to read in the lower content screen.
Thoughts?
Looking at this, I find it slightly easier to read the white text over the pink text. The pink text seems a little more blurry than the white text.

Looking at this, I find it slightly easier to read the white text over the pink text. The pink text seems a little more blurry than the white text.
Really liking the Purple Slow motion bubbles. Not a fan of the White at the beginning however I do like how it comes in. Any way to do that without the white?

I'm a big fan of the black and purple night time theme.

Maybe a black background with an animated purple logo moving around and purple boxes and font?

Black and purple super works, but for looking at over extended periods of time, i would find a darker shade of purple to be more pleasant.

And as far as icons and text color goes, personally at least, i would play around with shades of white and Beige, The Nier Automata Menus are a decent example

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Black and purple super works, but for looking at over extended periods of time, i would find a darker shade of purple to be more pleasant.

And as far as icons and text color goes, personally at least, i would play around with shades of white and Beige, The Nier Automata Menus are a decent example
The shade of purple darkens a bit in the evening when the night colors become active

I like the idea, but I wonder if the bloom is a little too big, or just jarring overall without something to help blend it, like an ethereal cosmic cloud. But, personally, I’m more into subtly.

Edit: I wonder if slight movement would improve the look? Hmmm.

Playing with the idea of some warm 'stars' appearing between Midnight and 6 AM. thoughts?
It's a bit too distracting, and doesn't mesh well with the aesthetic of the site. If the forums also had stars, I don't think it'd be a huge problem, but the look of the forums is pretty clean, and I think the theme should keep with that.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
I like the idea, but I wonder if the bloom is a little too big, or just jarring overall without something to help blend it, like an ethereal cosmic cloud. But, personally, I’m more into subtly.

Edit: I wonder if slight movement would improve the look? Hmmm.

They all move :p

Playing with the idea of some warm 'stars' appearing between Midnight and 6 AM. thoughts?
That feels a little too busy. It's hard for me to explain what i envisioned you doing after the last gif you showed but I was expecting something more clean, along the lines of this gif and how it does the color sweep in transition:

Love the colors and overall look, but it does seem a bit...busy? I'm a sucker for "less is more."

The shade of purple and lighting changing with the time of night/day sounds amazing.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified

We're hitting the final stretch. I've opted for a more clean look throughout the 24 hour cycle. At midnight, the background will go full dark, and stay that way until 6 AM.

We're hitting the final stretch. I've opted for a more clean look throughout the 24 hour cycle. At midnight, the background will go full dark, and stay that way until 6 AM.
I do like the lower half not being busy. Too many themes throw flying shit at me on the lower half while I'm trying to pick a game.

/thumbs up

Not sure I'll change the PS2 one though. That one is God tier.

Not quite how I imagined it, but it looks great! The time of day brightness cycling is cool too. I really liked that feature on the Hanami theme :)

This looks brilliant. Thank you for doing this. Im not sure i like it when the music kicks in but cant wait to get on my us account and get it downloaded immediately.

Wow ur the dude who made the ps2 theme too?? U got mad skillz man! I love that theme also!!