MMA-ERA |OT| Immigrant Mentality

This is what amuses me about Rory, the dude is so fucking hyped up by fans but he's chewed off more than he's been able to chew every time he's got a big fight. It comes across as arrogant when you come up short this many times and you keep going for bigger challenges. This dude wanted to fight in the fucking heavyweight tournament. Bruh.

Dude got smashed by Lawler, outclassed by Wonderboy, should have lost against Lima, and now he got slaughtered - granted, Mousasi is the best fighter he's fought outside of maybe Woodley, who he beat, but still.

There's daring to be great, and then there's knowing your lane.
I think he gets way too much milage for the Woodley win. Woodley is not the same fighter anymore and if they rematched it would be go very, very badly for Rory.

This is what amuses me about Rory, the dude is so fucking hyped up by fans but he's chewed off more than he's been able to chew every time he's got a big fight. It comes across as arrogant when you come up short this many times and you keep going for bigger challenges. This dude wanted to fight in the fucking heavyweight tournament. Bruh.

Dude got smashed by Lawler, outclassed by Wonderboy, should have lost against Lima, and now he got slaughtered - granted, Mousasi is the best fighter he's fought outside of maybe Woodley, who he beat, but still.

He's hyped because he beat Woodley, and people don't like Woodley, full stop.

Rory has not looked great since he lost to Lawler imo.

Someone needs to take this boy aside and tell him to stay in his lane.

As an aside I kinda feel the same about Gegard.

Him getting tooled by Jacare will never leave my brain.

Bellator just mega fucked their tournament. Rory got smashed, he might need months to guy recover and he might not be healed by the time he gets pushed against Fitch.

lol did you even watch the 2nd lawler fight? it could've gone either way. just like the condit fight. he was winning both of those at times. oh yeh. and he was twenty fucking one at the time. condit, diaz, bj penn, ellenberger, lawler, maia, woodley, paul daley, lima. he nearly beat or beat some of the all time greats and current champs. and he did it in his 20s while they were in their peak. put some fucking respekt on his name.

Arrogant?... Wtf... And he was in the fight of the year against Lawler..
Well, what would you call it? The guy has talked a big game and bit off more than he could chew a number of times now.

Yeah, the Lawler fight was dope, but he got TKO'd. He didn't win a round against Wonderboy. Went to Bellator and talked some ish about eyeing the 185 strap, really shouldn't have won the 170 belt to begin with, and now, instead of defending, he goes and tries to claim a second belt and gets smashed again.

All the while this guy is hyped up to the high heavens and he talks - not all that often or boisterous to be fair to him, but basically it seems like everyone hypes him up based on potential he never lived up to.

Maybe it's time everyone including Rory's pumps the breaks and the guy can prove himself at 170 by steadily defending the belt a couple times so he can live up to a bit of his mystique at least?

Well, what would you call it? The guy has talked a big game and bit off more than he could chew a number of times now.

Yeah, the Lawler fight was dope, but he got TKO'd. He didn't win a round against Wonderboy. Went to Bellator and talked some ish about eyeing the 185 strap, really shouldn't have won the 170 belt to begin with, and now, instead of defending, he goes and tries to claim a second belt and gets smashed again.

All the while this guy is hyped up to the high heavens and he talks - not all that often or boisterous to be fair to him, but basically it seems like everyone hypes him up based on potential he never lived up to.

Maybe it's time everyone including Rory's pumps the breaks and the guy can prove himself at 170 by steadily defending the belt a couple times so he can live up to a bit of his mystique at least?
Arrogant is probably the last word I'd use to describe Rory. Also, Every media outlet except for one gave the Lima fight to Rory, he deserved to win that fight.

It's insane that you're blaming Rory for getting big fights. That win Rory has over Woodley must really bother you.

Rory only deserves props for going up in weight to fight Mousasi.

Last edited:
Well here in the UK, Bellator was finally being aired live, on broadcast television no less.

Unfortunately Channel 5, having failed to foresee this event going close to three hours, cut away from the main event just as MacDonald was walking into the cage, first for a 5 minute entertainment gossip round up show, then a Peppa Pig cartoon.

If Bellator wants to grow into the UK it will need to find a more stable home or sharpen up their pacing. Maybe BT Sport would be good, who have at least never cut off a live broadcast for children's programming and may be looking for MMA after losing UFC events in 2019.

Well here in the UK, Bellator was finally being aired live, on broadcast television no less.

Unfortunately Channel 5, having failed to foresee this event going close to three hours, cut away from the main event just as MacDonald was walking into the cage, first for a 5 minute entertainment gossip round up show, then a Peppa Pig cartoon.

If Bellator wants to grow into the UK it will need to find a more stable home or sharpen up their pacing. Maybe BT Sport would be good, who have at least never cut off a live broadcast for children's programming and may be looking for MMA after losing UFC events in 2019.
Would also add that everyone recording on DVR, which is perfectly reasonable considering it started at 3am, will also miss the Rampage/Silva fight too because Channel 5 gave this a 2 hour time slot on their planner, despite it being a big card with two 5 round fights, meaning recordings cut off at 5am.

To think some were saying Bellator could capture the UK market earlier this week.

I think he gets way too much milage for the Woodley win. Woodley is not the same fighter anymore and if they rematched it would be go very, very badly for Rory.
I agree.

It was a great performance, and Woodley was a killer even back then, but that fight was a long time ago. Woodley didn't even have a head coach, he was basically running his own camp and he hadn't trained at Roufusport yet.

He's hyped because he beat Woodley, and people don't like Woodley, full stop.

Rory has not looked great since he lost to Lawler imo.

Someone needs to take this boy aside and tell him to stay in his lane.

As an aside I kinda feel the same about Gegard.

Him getting tooled by Jacare will never leave my brain.
Agreed. At some point, someone in his camp is going to have to tell him he's got stiff competition at 170 as it is and he doesn't have to look for crazy angles or fights elsewhere. He's the WW champ, he should defend his belt as long as he could and perhaps leave it at that.

As for Gegard, I think Gegard is legitimately a Top 5-10 MW of all time and those losses to Jacare were really just unfortunate mismatches. I think Jacare has his number - and Jacare is, or at least was, a nightmarish match up for a lot of guys for a long time.

I have far fewer doubts Gegard could be champ in the UFC than I have of Rory though.

lol did you even watch the 2nd lawler fight? it could've gone either way. just like the condit fight. he was winning both of those at times. oh yeh. and he was twenty fucking one at the time. condit, diaz, bj penn, ellenberger, lawler, maia, woodley, paul daley, lima. he nearly beat or beat some of the all time greats and current champs. and he did it in his 20s while they were in their peak. put some fucking respekt on his name.
Sure, a bunch of times. Rory looked good until Lawler made him fight his fight and drug him into a brawl Rory couldn't win. He was up on the cards, but Lawler would take 2 to give 1 and Rory couldn't take as many as he could give.

I happen to think Lawler is a juicehead and I was pulling for Rory that fight, but what I saw in that fight was something I saw in all of his losses: Rory doesn't like fighting backwards. He doesn't like being under pressure, he can't deal with it nearly as well as he deals it to others but the point is that the way to beat Rory and it's to break his confidence. He doesn't fight well if he isn't in control early. It showed against Mousasi, it showed against Wonderboy, and Lawler. Even against Condit, really. He got hurt at the end of the second after winning both rounds standing up, then in the third round he tried to shoot and when it went to the ground, Condit got top control and battered him for the TKO win. The Condit loss was probably the most similar loss he suffered to the Mousasi loss.

Rory has some impressive names on his record, but it's getting to a point where he's taken more Ls to big names than he's given. Wins of Nate Diaz and BJ Penn really don't count for much considering they're 155ers that moved up and BJ Penn hadn't won a fight in like 2 years by then.

For the record, I do respect Rory, I respect his skill, I just don't think he's done himself any favours with some of his career choices.

Last edited:
Arrogant is probably the last word I'd use to describe Rory. Also, Every media outlet except for one gave the Lima fight to Rory, he deserved to win that fight.

It's insane that you're blaming Rory for getting big fights. That win Rory has over Woodley must really bother you.

Rory only deserves props for going up in weight to fight Mousasi.
Under the unified rules and applied correctly, that fight would've been Lima's win. It was a wrestlefuck, plain and simple, he didn't do much beside keep Lima down and he was getting smashed standing.

I'm not blaming Rory for having big fights. I'm saying he's made poor decisions biting off to much at the wrong time. I'm glad he's game, but he guy never took his time. Dude is basically the Icarus of MMA.

I think it's hilarious you think I have a vendetta against Rory because he whooped Woodley's ass 4 years ago, lmao.

Under the unified rules and applied correctly, that fight would've been Lima's win. It was a wrestlefuck, plain and simple, he didn't do much beside keep Lima down and he was getting smashed standing.

I'm not blaming Rory for having big fights. I'm saying he's made poor decisions biting off to much at the wrong time. I'm glad he's game, but he guy never took his time. Dude is basically the Icarus of MMA.

I think it's hilarious you think I have a vendetta against Rory because he whooped Woodley's ass 4 years ago, lmao.
It's pretty transparent.

ok. well youre winding it back a bit. you came in pretty heavy taking shots at rory fans, calling him arrogant, saying he should stay in his lane.

dude just got smoked by one of the greatests of all time. it is what it is. dont go back and try and rewrite how he got to this point though.

Pico was amazing. Glad he's still showing immense potential even against decent talent like Higo. He has a real bright future despite me shitting on him after that Freeman fight.

Lima Koreshkov was boring as fuck. Glad Lima got the finish though. Hate these wall and stall clowns. Really shows how much of a beast Askren is.

Rampage Wand was surprisingly entertaining. They have no business in the cage at 40+ though. Wand is one year older than Yoel Romero lmao.

Poor Rory. Moose is really at his apex right now. It's a shame he's in that shallow Bellator 185 division. Also looks like he's never going back to UFC as well. Moose vs Whittaker/Luke/Yoel/Adesanya would have been fun. Rory had absolutely nothing for him and looked like his little brother out there. His nose must be really fucked at this point if he's willing to tap to strikes. He still shines in that WW division but hoping someone like Ed Ruth or even MVP (lol) comes out of there as champion.

What the fuck Rizin is tonight too?
Yeah it has a great main event and CroCop fighting. The card starts at 3am here though unfortunately. Would normally stay up to watch it but got an all day affair with football tomorrow. Gonna have to just catch the highlights.

Tenshin wins with 2 nut shots. It's a true successor to Masato vs. KID.

Wish it would've been 5 rounds. Sounded like Gooch was asking for a remartch but in "kakutougi" afterwards. Hope it happens.

Just got done watching the main card.
  • Pico still fun to watch in every fight, looking forward to him actually fighting some decent opposition though
  • Lima looked good, bided his time and pulled off an impressive submission
  • Rampage and Wand are sad grandpas that just close their eyes and throw haymakers, entertaining enough, I guess..
  • Rory bit off more than he can chew, the best he could really hope for what a decision loss really but he delivered himself on a plate with an awful takedown attempt in the second round.