Next-gen has to mass-transition to 60fps

Mandatory 60 FPS isn't going to happen but I think every console game should have a performance mode. Or better yet, give me video options like on PC so I can tweak my own framerate.

It's not an option, for third party titles at least, console makers have to push for 60 or they'll keep losing market share to PC on 30fps games that run much better on PC.

Even fluctuating 35-45fps is better than 30fps for me. Currently I already very rarely buy games if they are capped at 30fps, because there are plenty of 60fps games already on console this gen.

But for next-gen I intend to totally skip 30fps games. Too blurry in motion.

There’s this fantasy that as games technologically advance so does the frame rate. It’s a fantasty though. There is no standard. It’s whatever your pc can run, or whatever the programmers decide to do on the console/hardware.

The phrase ‘it’s 2018 why aren’t all games 60 FPS’ comes to mind.

It doesn’t make sense though. Plenty of games were 60 FPS on console in 2008 and even 1998. If you’re seeing a lot of 60 FPS games this gen and wonder why they can’t all be, chances are you’ve been playing a lot of HD remasters. There will never Be a conscious push for 60fps as a standard. It just doesn’t make sense. Lots of games don’t need it and plenty of games wouldn’t even benefit from it.

What’s the scenario here, anyway? PlayStation mandates 60 FPS on all games? How fast do you think a developer is just going to jump to the other console with exclusivity rights and the freedom to develop their game how they choose?

There will ALWAYS be 30 FPS games. Sorry.
It shouldn't be a fantasy though. It's pathetic that we have hardware which is orders of magnitude faster, yet games are running worse than they used to instead of getting better.
Unless you are an indie developer working on your first game, you should be embarrassed to put out something running at 30 FPS.
Practically every single game benefits from higher framerates. It's only things like visual novels which have completely static screens that don't. Even then, if it uses a cursor for control, that feels bad at 30 FPS - though it's not going to hurt the gameplay.
60fps reminds me of soap opera effect on TVs. 30fps with proper motion blur ftw.
There's no such thing as the "soap opera effect". All that is, is smooth, judder-free motion.
It's a term that video nerds made up because they've been conditioned to like garbage and recoil in horror any time they see fluid motion.
You think this is bad? The same people are the ones pushing for 60 FPS or more on motion pictures and TV just because they like smooth video games.
When viewed at 24Hz, film itself is far smoother than you have been conditioned to believe.
It's once they started introducing double and triple bladed shutters to repeat the image for a 48/72 Hz presentation that minimizes flicker that 24 FPS motion became as bad as it is now.
And now, with most home displays being entirely flicker-free, 24 FPS looks worse than ever.
The framerate should have increased in sync with the refresh rate, but they were too cheap to do that.

Interpolation restores the original fluidity of 24 FPS film at the cost of also introducing digital artifacts - which vary in severity depending on the display or video processor - instead of flickering.
The way that most people are used to seeing 24 FPS film today is not how it originally looked.

I whole-heartedly agree OP, but it's never going to happen. It's impossible to market FPS.
Nearly everyone has a 60Hz display, and YouTube supports 60 FPS.
You may not be able to show the difference in a screenshot, but it's not difficult to show off a game running at 60 FPS any more.
Playing most games the past few months at 120+fps is gonna make it hard for me to buy a console next gen. 60fps minimum please. It's better, no contest.
Even going back to 60 is tough. I try to keep a minimum of 90 now.
Fucks sake y'all take fps seriously huh?
When it's the difference between being able to enjoy playing a game or not, yes it's a big deal.
I'm done forcing myself to try and continue playing a game even though it's making me motion sick, as I end up not liking the game anyway. I won't buy 30 FPS games any more.

It's not an option, for third party titles at least, console makers have to push for 60 or they'll keep losing market share to PC on 30fps games that run much better on PC.
Exactly. I still remember Andrew House saying that the PS4 Pro was brought in to stop PlayStation users leaving the ecosystem and moving to PC because the PC is becoming much more powerful.

Didn't work with me though as the PS4 Pro still mostly has games at 30fps. So I left, not bought anything from the PS Store for six months and now I get emails from Sony saying "We miss you, come back!"

wont happen. sorry 30fps is "good enough" for the vast majority of people esp with high quality motion blur as seen in most modern games these days. sports and esports games will push for 60fps however because its core to the experience in those games.

if you want a premium experience then you'll have to go for a premium device (either a premium version of a console or a pc)

Oh no the 4k 30fps defenders here talking about crisp image quality :YIKES:

Its only clear image when nothing is moving, not sure there is many of those games.
Even 1080p 60fps looks more clear and better in motion because you actually see things.

Not even talking about 100fps+, I wish there was some way to show it to everyone how it looks, 30fps would die on that instant.

Mandatory 60fps would be wonderful but I seriously doubt it will ever happen. I do hope we see more developers choosing to go that route though - hopefully with a smaller gap between processor and GPU power on the next consoles we might see more (I remember the PS2 had quite a few 60fps titles, and pretty much everything 16bit or lower was also 60fps as standard).

I didn't see many complaints about the graphics of MGSV or Doom, so it IS still possible to create a gorgeous game at 60fps.

It's once they started introducing double and triple bladed shutters to repeat the image for a 48/72 Hz presentation that minimizes flicker that 24 FPS motion became as bad as it is now.
And now, with most home displays being entirely flicker-free, 24 FPS looks worse than ever.
That's not true at all. 48 or 72 Hz are double/triple the refresh rate of 24 Hz which makes this perfect to watch movies because they remove the suttering you would get by showing a 24 FPS movie in 60 Hz. Flickering is bad because at only 24 Hz you could actually see the image turn on and off and it makes people get headaches. 48/72Hz don't make movies less smooth because the motion blur captured by the camera is still there.
Interpolation restores the original fluidity of 24 FPS film
No it doesn't. It calculates new frames so that 24 FPS get bumped up to a fake 60 FPS.

120+ or bust. 60's been around for decades and it's time to move on.

Responsiveness, fluidity, iq, etc matter.
Aren't the highest selling games of the year God of War, Far Cry 5, with Spider-Man apparently debuting even higher than the former?

Developers and publishers seem to be managing fine with their games at 30. Until that starts weighing against them, you'll be hard-pressed to convince them that it "matters" in the long run for them to push for 60, let alone even consider 120.

You guys need to decide what you want. 4k and 30 fps or 1440p and 60 fps.

I would kill for [email protected] everything
1440p (checkerboarded to 4K) is pretty much the ideal balance between picture quality and performance.
Past this and you're moving heavily into diminishing returns territory. It's time for high framerates to shine (on consoles that is, this is old beans for PC).

I legitimately prefer 30fps. Between 30fps and 60fps with the same graphical fidelity, I'd pick 30.

Come at me.
I don't often do avatar quotes but...

Nearly everyone has a 60Hz display, and YouTube supports 60 FPS.
You may not be able to show the difference in a screenshot, but it's not difficult to show off a game running at 60 FPS any more
I know Hulu and Sling both have some 60 FPS channels now. This really helps with the fast movement in sports and makes live TV look much better overall. I don't care for any of the smooth motion features built into TVs but a real 60 FPS broadcast or YouTube video looks great.

I think this is how a lot of people will warm up to higher frame rates. The general population didn't know they wanted 1080p TVs until they saw them on display.

That's not true at all. 48 or 72 Hz are double/triple the refresh rate of 24 Hz which makes this perfect to watch movies because they remove the suttering you would get by showing a 24 FPS movie in 60 Hz. Flickering is bad because at only 24 Hz you could actually see the image turn on and off and it makes people get headaches. 48/72Hz don't make movies less smooth because the motion blur captured by the camera is still there.
Here is 24 FPS motion at 96, 72, 48, and 24 Hz on a CRT display. CRT displays flash the image once per refresh, just like film projectors do.

Repeating frames results in double/triple images and introduces significant judder.
24 FPS Film was never supposed to be viewed at anything other than 24Hz.

The flicker at 24Hz is worse than you probably imagine, but motion is far smoother than you would think it could ever be for such a low framerate.
When they increased the refresh rate from 24Hz, the framerate needed to be increased along with it.
No it doesn't. It calculates new frames so that 24 FPS get bumped up to a fake 60 FPS.
Interpolation largely removes judder rather than adding more temporal information.