NHL Offseason Thread 2018 |OT| Vegas sins, lottery wins and BargainBins

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ontario
Bob Cole’s retiring after this season. Probably for the best.
He was the soundtrack to a lot of childhood hockey for me. I used to like his calls.

Nowadays, I don’t exactly know what it is but I find them annoying and find he makes a lot of mistakes. Of course he’s older.

I respect him and always will, but would prefer to listen to certain others.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Bob Cole's voice is pure nostalgia for me and it's an end of an era to see him finally retire but if I'm being honest, he's well past his prime as far as calling games goes. Probably about time.

Oct 25, 2017
When I read that this was his 50th year I realized that's why he hung on for so long. He was often confused and difficult to understand..... but hey gotta reach that arbitrary milestone!

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
When I read that this was his 50th year I realized that's why he hung on for so long. He was often confused and difficult to understand..... but hey gotta reach that arbitrary milestone!
After doing it for 50 years how the hell do you even stop?

I just picture him in a nursing home doing play by play for bridge tournaments in the common area.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Burke was on PTS today for half an hour (great segment, among other things he talked about the time he got into a bar fight while working for the Canucks under Pat Quinn, and when he told Quinn about it, Quinn was upset that he wasn't involved. lol)

But the interesting hockey thing he mentioned was on the topic of how the coach and GM each are involved in roster construction.

Burke says that so long as he has the authority to fire a coach based on his win/loss record, then he lets the coach choose his players for the most post. He said there was one exception to this rule, where he put his foot down. He and Ron Wilson disagreed on whether Colton Orr should be on the Leafs roster. Wilson complained that, by giving him Orr, Burke is limiting him to a roster of 11 forwards. Burke replied, "OK but you'll have 11 forwards who feel safe on the ice."

Oct 25, 2017
Namestnikov-Hayes-Lettieri
Vesey-Howden-Fast
Schneider-Andersson-Meskanen
McLeod-Fogarty-Lindqvist

Lindgren-Shattenkirk
Hajek-McQuaid
Smith-O'Gara

Georgiev
Tokarski

Go scrub squad!

Oct 25, 2017
those commericals are bad but.. i'm fine with it

i got like 2 "rare?" McDavid cards from the first 3 packs I got
I still have a bunch of those 3-D cards from McDonald's in the 90s tucked in a box somewhere, and I don't want to throw them out or anything but I have no idea what to do with them anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ontario
Burke was on PTS today for half an hour (great segment, among other things he talked about the time he got into a bar fight while working for the Canucks under Pat Quinn, and when he told Quinn about it, Quinn was upset that he wasn't involved. lol)

But the interesting hockey thing he mentioned was on the topic of how the coach and GM each are involved in roster construction.

Burke says that so long as he has the authority to fire a coach based on his win/loss record, then he lets the coach choose his players for the most post. He said there was one exception to this rule, where he put his foot down. He and Ron Wilson disagreed on whether Colton Orr should be on the Leafs roster. Wilson complained that, by giving him Orr, Burke is limiting him to a roster of 11 forwards. Burke replied, "OK but you'll have 11 forwards who feel safe on the ice."
I listened to part of that on my way home from class. I heard the part about the fight, and was glad to hear Burke stood up for the poor guy. At one point, he said he was a smaller guy, but then later it seemed that he called him slower, so maybe he had a disability?

As for the roster: Orr should never have been forced on Wilson.

Oct 25, 2017
Georgiev is starting the third period for the Rangers. Mazanec didn't get to play yesterday, and it looks like Tokarski might not play tonight, so the Rangers goalie situation may be set.

Oct 26, 2017
Bob Cole is a legend, and not as bad as some make him out to be now, but good for him on an amazing career. Best voice in hockey.

Gaudette, Juolevi, and Gaunce sent to Utica. Gaunce has to clear waivers. Looks like Demko will be sent down as well.
Is this expected? Shouldn't he be making a push to be on a shitty Canucks team at this point?

Oct 25, 2017

Uhh, this does not inspire confidence. One of the things AV got most objectively right was the need to limit Hank's work load.
Maybe he's referring to Brady still being elite and winning championships in his late thirties?

Bob Cole is a legend, and not as bad as some make him out to be now, but good for him on an amazing career. Best voice in hockey.

Is this expected? Shouldn't he be making a push to be on a shitty Canucks team at this point?
He was injured during the offseason so his training was limited. Plus it's not like they had a spot for him since they brought back everyone from last year.

A full year in Utica should be good for him, plus he'll be one of the first callups in case of injury.

Oct 25, 2017
Every summer I get excited for football.

Then once Fall gets here I see the garbage that the Vikings put on the field and after a few weeks my fervor subsides. Wild get closer and closer and fellas I am ready.

Ready to be let down, yet again, by this lovely team and great sport.

Oct 25, 2017

This is expected. He was always going to Utica.

Also:

https://theathletic.com/545518/2018/09/24/brough-forecasting-the-canucks-opening-day-roster/

Juolevi, you’re cut:

I’ve heard the theory that Juolevi doesn’t need to be noticed in order to be good.

I understand where this theory comes from. A defenceman who makes a lot of big blunders gets noticed. (See: Hutton, Ben)

I’m not sure the Canucks see it entirely the same way, though. At training camp, Green told The Province that he liked what he was seeing from the 20-year-old defenceman, but it wasn’t because he never noticed him.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

“It’s his assertiveness,” Green said. “I could hear from up top yelling for pucks and you could see he wanted the puck. I haven’t seen that from him in the past. He was decisive and he played harder. Those are all good signs for me.”

The fact is, Juolevi has never played a professional game in North America. I’m not sure starting him in the NHL — especially on the Canucks — would be putting him in a position to succeed. He probably wouldn’t be paired with Tanev, because the Canucks like Tanev out there against the tough competition. His most likely partner might be Gudbranson, and that has potential disaster written all over it.
Canucks' LHD depth is like this:

Edler - 1 UFA
Hutton - 1 RFA
MDZ - 1 UFA

All free agents after this season. So Juolevi will have his chance. Hope is he'll do well in Utica and get called up when the injuries mount. Then he could get a permanent role next season. Will be interesting to see if Edler is brought back, if Hutton can prove he belongs, and how both Hughes/Juolevi would fit into the roster. I assume MDZ isn't coming back.

Oct 25, 2017
He was the soundtrack to a lot of childhood hockey for me. I used to like his calls.

Nowadays, I don’t exactly know what it is but I find them annoying and find he makes a lot of mistakes. Of course he’s older.

I respect him and always will, but would prefer to listen to certain others.
I'd keep Bob Cole to like 10 games for the Leafs (including the final game of the regular season).

I agree with Red_ in that he's not as bad as people make him out to be, but he's getting up in age anyway. I'm generally forgiving of errors after the fact, except for Romanuk's lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd keep Bob Cole to like 10 games for the Leafs (including the final game of the regular season).

I agree with Red_ in that he's not as bad as people make him out to be, but he's getting up in age anyway. I'm generally forgiving of errors after the fact, except for Romanuk's lol.
I feel like Romanuk makes more mistakes than Old Bob does, all with his grating voice too.

Oct 25, 2017

Man, have you listened to him much lately? He makes errors regularly and struggles to follow the play.

He used to be the Leafs dude and has more recently been the Habs dude so I don't have as much affection for him, though I recognize he's a legend.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I always get a big smile on my face when Bob does Habs games. It’s like Jim Ross doing commentary in Wrestling. Like JR is the voice of wrestling, Bob Cole is the voice of Hockey

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ontario
Going to a hawkey game after class today. Today is my final day of class too. Funnily enough, being the old man I am, I hurt myself playing the sport the other day, because I ran too fast, lost my balance and fell on my face and now my leg aches. Fun times.

It was men versus women and we definitely shouldn't have done that. The women were far better. In much better shape and just better at sports. It was fun, though, when my lungs didn't burn.

I feel like Romanuk makes more mistakes than Old Bob does, all with his grating voice too.
Very possible. Does Bob Cole make up words?

Man Bobby Ryan hurt his hand AGAIN?? fuck. Dude has the worst luck.
Poor guy :(

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Do any of you guys play ball hockey indoors? I'm thinking of giving it a go, but I want a shoe that's good for gym floors, but also has some protection around the toe.