Nintendo First-Party Thread

And now here I am at work listening to Grassland Groove. What a fucking masterpiece; Retro is revered for their work on Metroid, but that Donkey Kong is probably in my top 10 of all times.
The perspective of a StarFox GP completely underwhelms me, but booting DK:TF makes me somehow hopeful.
Star Fox GP would be a bigger accomplishment than DKCTF if it’s as good considering how bad and unstable Star Fox has been.

Star Fox GP would be a bigger accomplishment than DKCTF if it’s as good considering how bad and unstable Star Fox has been.
And considering it's a fucking racing game, therefore has some inherent limitations that are harder to deal with or to break free from. I personally still hope that the rumor is wrong.
But the longer we don't hear about RETRO and the more worrying the situation is.

Not very impressed by Nintendo first party showing this year. After a stellar year in 2017. In 2018, we had mainly ports and a decent Mario Tennis. Well, that’s disappointing.

Pokemon Let’s Go and Ultimate, will deliver for sure, but they’re not exactly a breath of fresh air... And the first glimpses of the next Yoshi and Luigi’s Mansion are nothing spectacular.

I get the impression that Nintendo is resting on it laurels ( we’ve seen that before ). I hope they’ll prove me wrong in 2019.

I wouldn't necessarily try to infer what they're going to do in 2019 based on their ports in 2017/2018. They'll rerelease these games when they make sense and when they have the resources to spare. Ports will have a completely different function in year 3+ than they had in the first 24 months. Don't be surprised if we don't get Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and TMS on Switch.

Just made this chart of games published in all regions by Nintendo for Nintendo Switch (don't think we know if Nintendo is publishing Town yet?), with late ports in blue. When you look at the variety of genres and IP on display here, it's pretty impressive; and even without the ports, 2018 looks better than I originally thought.
On top of that there are small DLC packs. Like SnipperClips Plus.

I hope we see new IP’s.
Every year. Several years ago it was Splatoon, last year it was SnipperClips and ARMS, this year it was Sushi Strikers and that UFO game? Or I guess that was HAL which is still a seperate company? I'm actually surprised at how many there are.

They didn't publish Pokken Tournament DX?
Not in all regions, only in NA & PAL.
I was going to ask the same thing. What about Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors?

And won't Pokemon Let's Go and Pokemon 2019 also not be published world wide by Nintendo? Seems like odd things to not include on a technicality. Especially since Nintendo owns a third of the company that does Publish Pokemon games. And in fact, in some countries they trade off duties all together. (I think in Australia Nintendo takes off all Pokemon duties as TPC doesn't have a presence there?)

I would go the other way and add anything published by Nintendo. The above as well as Octopath and maybe Kingdom Battle, which they didn't publish at all. It's their IP and it's exclusive to their console. But I understand those two being excluded.

But Warriors games and Pokemon games should be included, I think. I could be wrong. Pokken was published by Nintendo and a second party publisher.

I get the impression that Nintendo is resting on it laurels ( we’ve seen that before ). I hope they’ll prove me wrong in 2019.
I get the same impression. It would be fine having an off-year if they ran the extra mile to get more AAA third party support, which seem to be limited mainly by the cartridge size according to some devs, as well as a well known poster here; they could absolutely do something for that.

Nevertheless, I cannot call 2018 such a bad year for the Switch, because it received an amazing indie support even with some very very strong console exclusives such as Hollow Knight.

First party wise, it flat out sucked, I agree on that. Having Fire Emblem and Yoshi this year would have helped.

Dammit forgot about that

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Pokken Tournament DX

Hyrule Warriors Deluxe
Bayonetta 1+2
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

So my guesses for the next few years

NSMBU
Pikmin 3
Xenoblade X
Wonderful 101

Mario 3D World
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Paper Mario Color Splash
Pushmo World

Zelda 35th Anniversary Collection (Skyward Sword, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess)

Edited to include 4 games per year
Hyrule Warriors DE is a port of the 3DS version not the WiiU one.

On top of that there are small DLC packs. Like SnipperClips Plus.

Every year. Several years ago it was Splatoon, last year it was SnipperClips and ARMS, this year it was Sushi Strikers and that UFO game? Or I guess that was HAL which is still a seperate company? I'm actually surprised at how many there are.

I was going to ask the same thing. What about Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors?

And won't Pokemon Let's Go and Pokemon 2019 also not be published world wide by Nintendo? Seems like odd things to not include on a technicality. Especially since Nintendo owns a third of the company that does Publish Pokemon games. And in fact, in some countries they trade off duties all together. (I think in Australia Nintendo takes off all Pokemon duties as TPC doesn't have a presence there?)

I would go the other way and add anything published by Nintendo. The above as well as Octopath and maybe Kingdom Battle, which they didn't publish at all. It's their IP and it's exclusive to their console. But I understand those two being excluded.

But Warriors games and Pokemon games should be included, I think. I could be wrong. Pokken was published by Nintendo and a second party publisher.

Snipperclips Plus is actually in that table you quoted :)

the Warriors games are Koei Tecmo published in Japan and only in the West are published by Nintendo.

Pokémon is weird because Nintendo is co-publishing the mainline games and some spin-offs with the Pokémon company in Japan but other spin-off titles like Pokkén are just TPC and obviously Nintendo publishes all of them in the West.
(spine from Platinum)

And I agree, everything they publish should be counted (maybe with a note) as often it involves localization effort by them.

They didn't publish Pokken Tournament DX?
Technically, Pokémon Co. publishes all Pokémon games in Japan so if we're going to make that distinction, Let's Go and Gen 8 shouldn't be on that list either.
Yeah, I had initially included Pokkén; but then, for some reason, I thought Bandai-Namco (not TPC) published it in Japan, so I excluded it. I suppose we should include TPC-published games as Nintendo has >33% ownership in Pokémon. Table updated.

And considering it's a fucking racing game, therefore has some inherent limitations that are harder to deal with or to break free from. I personally still hope that the rumor is wrong.
But the longer we don't hear about RETRO and the more worrying the situation is.
It's not a racing game. It's a Star Fox game with "get to the finish line first" hook. It's not like you are going to be using cars or something.

Once Retro shows off Star Fox Grand Prix, people will be ashamed of their words and deeds.

On the topic of new IPs, with every passing month I am just completely amazed at Breath of the Wild's performance. It's unprecedented for a Zelda game and I think it's going to greatly affect what Aonuma, Fujibayashi and Shikata do next. I don't doubt that there will be a second 3D Zelda on Switch that uses BotW as a base, but I think it's going to be radically different in some crucial ways and also affect the development of 2D Zelda and perhaps a new IP in some way.

It's not a racing game. It's a Star Fox game with "get to the finish line first" hook. It's not like you are going to be using cars or something.
Yeah but it’s not the big adventure game he wants so it sucks. We don’t even know what they’ll interpret it as. Racing could be part of it and even then that’s basically part of what Star Fox is. So you’ll get Star Fox and more on top of it.

Star Fox is an unstable franchise for 2 decades. Bad sales and low quality games one after another. Retro is the perfect Nintendo company to bring it back.

Not very impressed by Nintendo first party showing this year. After a stellar year in 2017. In 2018, we had mainly ports and a decent Mario Tennis. Well, that’s disappointing.

Pokemon Let’s Go and Ultimate, will deliver for sure, but they’re not exactly a breath of fresh air... And the first glimpses of the next Yoshi and Luigi’s Mansion are nothing spectacular.

EPD released 5 games in one year, half of which took up to 3-4 years to make. You can't really develop a quality game in just one year.

I wonder when the OP will be finalized lol It's months already and nothing. The SE thread got made in a fewer time compared to it.

Snipperclips Plus is actually in that table you quoted :)

the Warriors games are Koei Tecmo published in Japan and only in the West are published by Nintendo.

Pokémon is weird because Nintendo is co-publishing the mainline games and some spin-offs with the Pokémon company in Japan but other spin-off titles like Pokkén are just TPC and obviously Nintendo publishes all of them in the West.
(spine from Platinum)

And I agree, everything they publish should be counted (maybe with a note) as often it involves localization effort by them.
This.

How we had mainly ports from Nintendo when they released more new games than it? lol Look:

Remasters:
Bayonetta 2 - Platinum
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - Retro
Captain Toad - Nintendo EPD/NST
Hyrule Warriors (West) - Omega Force/Team Ninja
Dragon Quest Builders (West) - Square Enix
The World Ends with you (West) - Square Enix

New games:
Kirby Star Allies - Hal Laboratory
Labo Variety Kit and Robot Kit - Nintendo EPD
Mario Tennis Aces - Camelot
Sushi Striker - Nintendo EPD/indieszero
Octopath Traveler (West) - SE/Acquire
Xenoblade 2 Torna - Monolith
Labo Vehicle Kit - Nintendo EPD
Super Mario Party - Nd Cube
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Evee - Gamefreak
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Sora and Bandai Namco Studios

And lastly, just because those four games aren't trying to revolutionize their franchises, it don't mean what you tried to say...

This is a pretty bold claim tbh. I think Smash will dominate Switch software sales for quite a few months actually, with Pokemon at number two.
I'm talking about the final Switch top 5, at the end of its lifetime.

Pokemon will be stymied by frequent releases to claim the charts. The only way this will work is of releases are more spread out for pokemon
That didn't affect 3DS Pokémon sales.

It sort of did. While previous versions do sell, it's substantially less once the next year's version released. SM had a chance of overtaking XY, but USUM prevented that
Oh SM will end up overtaking XY in a few months or even years. But still, both Pokémon Gen 8, Gen 9 and the Sinnoh remakes will outsell Smash. MK8 too.

Do Pokémon remakes sell just as good as new games?
No granted you are talking about the difference between 10-15 million sellers for remakes and the 15-20+ million for mainline entries. However, pokemon LGE/P is harder to determine. First of all the previous remakes launched after a mainline pokemon game had released on the platform. Also, LGP/E is targetting a bit different of an audience than the usual remakes.

Do Pokémon remakes sell just as good as new games?
The gulf isn't as large as people suggest it is.

DP = 17.67m
HGSS = 12.72m
BW = 15.64m

XY= 16.29m
ORAS = 14.10m
SM = 16.12m

I imagine Let's Go will get a boost compared to other remakes since they're the first Pokemon games on the system.

Nintendo's publishing more brand-new games this year than they did last year. It's just that none of those games are open-world or sandbox action games and most of the bigger number is made up by Labo and third-party games they happen to be publishing (Octopath).

They're just also publishing way more ports than last year.

Last edited:
I don’t think 2018 was necessarily a “bad” year, but they consciously leaned on ports and indies to reinforce portability as a major value-add. I think holding off on big first party titles til Q4 was purposeful.

It’ll be interesting to see them leverage the pressure from buyers to pump out more AAA hits, while also making sure third parties get an even playing field.

I’ll say this: I bought more third party games this year than I ever did on a Nintendo console, and it’s mostly because the first party games I love weren’t released. Like it or not, Nintendo fans aren’t gonna take a great third party game over a great first party one. If there’s a big Nintendo IP drought, it’s coz they’re letting something else shine.

so we are going to enter the switch's 3rd year in 2019. wow does time fly fast

anyway its funny the 3DS's 3rd year was 2013. and looking at the list of releases in 2013 from nintendo on 3ds we got Animal crossing new leaf, Luigi's mansion dark moon, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Pokemon X/Y

Switch' 3rd year in 2019 has new entries releasing in all of these series lol. Its basically a repeat of 2013 but on switch hahaha with a new animal crossing, new Fire emblem, new Luigi's mansion and a new gen of pokemon starting next year.

THE other Major game nintendo released in 2013 on 3DS was A link between worlds.....so is it time for a new top down ish zelda on switch to complete the cycle ?

other fun facts: SMT4 came out on 3ds also in 2013, could SMTV come out in 2019 too haha? 3ds also got a new Mario and luigi' dream team and..its getting another m&L in 2019 too but on 3ds <.< ...i don't think alpha dream are ready for HD developement lol. A new ace attorney also came out for 3ds in 2013, And i bet you a ace attorney switch announcement for 2019 is inbound too at TGS...

but basically 2019 for Switch is 2013 on 3DS lulz

Last edited:
I see a lot of biases going on in this thread. I'm convinced that Smash Ultimate will sell very, very well. Top 5? I don't know. I doubt it. It's really funny to say it's bold to say Ultimate won't be on the top 5, because it's also bold to say it will be. We don't know. But I agree it will probably be the best yet in terms of sales.

On the flip side, isn't Zelda still outselling Super Mario Odyssey month to month? I think Zelda will probably end out on top, but maybe I've skipped too many monthly sales numbers.

Until someone suggested Pokemon dominating the top, I had never considered how the hybrid nature will change what is in the top 10! Interesting!

Announcements barely do anything for me anymore. I can't get hyped for a logo of a game I knew was inevitable for the platform (Prime was dormant for long enough).

Kid Icarus and new IPs are really the only announcements that would get me really hyped. Lineup is solid af for next year though, so no complaints.

Edit: MP4 and Bayo3 aren't confirmed for 2019?

Announcements barely do anything for me anymore. I can't get hyped for a logo of a game I knew was inevitable for the platform (Prime was dormant for long enough).

Kid Icarus and new IPs are really the only announcements that would get me really hyped. Lineup is solid af for next year though, so no complaints.

Pretty much agree with this sentiment. I'd only get hyped if a long, long dormant franchise was revived at this point.

Yeah but it’s not the big adventure game he wants so it sucks. We don’t even know what they’ll interpret it as. Racing could be part of it and even then that’s basically part of what Star Fox is. So you’ll get Star Fox and more on top of it.

Star Fox is an unstable franchise for 2 decades. Bad sales and low quality games one after another. Retro is the perfect Nintendo company to bring it back.
You absolutely have no idea of what i want; if I could choose, I would have them make a 3rd donkey Kong, because this is what they did best.
Now none of us has seen the game they're doing, and it's my right to voice my opinion that a racing game is inherently limited and thus to be concerned about the results, which may or may not surprise me; that's the very definition of a surprise: something unexpected.
Also, given that the same rumor was also saying that this project was a sort of "backup plan" after a development hell for another project, there are legitimate reasons to be concerned. This topic is real a piece of work sometimes; any dissonant opinion is automatically labeled are either stupid, uninformed, malevolent, or often the three at the same time.

I also have the same impression regarding big Nintendo IPs. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have them and they should absolutely come rather sooner than later; but to take the example of smash Bros, everybody and their dogs knew that it was coming down the line, within a year or two. So while I fully understand that people would be happy for it being announced, i wish I would be more often surprised by first party announcements; for example, games like ghosts of tsushima, Splatoon or ARMS do more for my perception of a console than IPs that I know are eventually coming.
Dormant IPs like F-Zero, Chibi Robot, and so on would be nice though, specifically because they are unexpected at that point.

Animal Crossing
Luigi’s Haunted Mansion 3
Super Mario bros. U Deluxe
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Pokémon Generation 8
Daemon x Machinima

From what we know already, 2019 is already leagues better than 2018, and since my two favorite series (Pokémon and AC) are included, It’s probably better than 2017 for me.

We also have potential of getting
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Mario Maker (?)
Zelda/Mario (?)
Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 in 2019 is entirely possible. I can believe it. They were both announced in 2017 after all.

Even just tose two plus the games we know of for 2019 already kills 2017 imo. Even though we got Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and Xenoblade.

There's potential quality AND quantity here.

Having all these games in 2019, plus a new Zelda, a new Mario and potentially a new Mario kart and Splatoon in 2020 would be quite something 2 years in a row. Especially if they finally pickup the pace and start releasing more smaller scope games like on 3ds.

Their next single player new IP will probably Monolith again lol.
Yeah it looks like it lol.
We're talking about new first-party IPs, aren't we? Just because you don't personally care for LABO doesn't change the fact that it is a new IP.
Ok idc. I’m talking about new single player IP’s. They can make all new IP’s that they want, but when 90% is mobile or multiplayer I will speak up for the single player folks.

Don't think Metroid will be a 2019 game.

I do believe Retro's game should line up for a E3 reveal and holiday 2019 release date. If it was already starting to be leaked and making the rounds last year, it's far enough along to be released.

I could also see Bayonetta 3 being a summer/fall 2019 game, if it's following the same cycle as the last game. Bayo 2 was revealed Sep 2012 and released Sep 2014.

so we are going to enter the switch's 3rd year in 2019. wow does time fly fast

anyway its funny the 3DS's 3rd year was 2013. and looking at the list of releases in 2013 from nintendo on 3ds we got Animal crossing new leaf, Luigi's mansion dark moon, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Pokemon X/Y

Switch' 3rd year in 2019 has new entries releasing in all of these series lol. Its basically a repeat of 2013 but on switch hahaha with a new animal crossing, new Fire emblem, new Luigi's mansion and a new gen of pokemon starting next year.

THE other Major game nintendo released in 2013 on 3DS was A link between worlds.....so is it time for a new top down ish zelda on switch to complete the cycle ?

other fun facts: SMT4 came out on 3ds also in 2013, could SMTV come out in 2019 too haha? 3ds also got a new Mario and luigi' dream team and..its getting another m&L in 2019 too but on 3ds <.< ...i don't think alpha dream are ready for HD developement lol. A new ace attorney also came out for 3ds in 2013, And i bet you a ace attorney switch announcement for 2019 is inbound too at TGS...

but basically 2019 for Switch is 2013 on 3DS lulz
I didnt realize this but it is funny how similar to 2013 3DS lineup and 2019 Switch lineup is.

I do think we will see a Zelda title release on Switch next year. Aonuma confirmed that the 2D Zelda team was still working on a project and that he was pushing them to do a major overhaul like BotW was for 3D Zelda. He made these comments when doing interviews and PR stuff for BotW's release. He also showed off a 2D version of BotW that the team had made when they were experimenting. So I think the next Zelda project to release on Switch is likely a 2D one. For reference here has been the release schedule for Zelda titles since OoT:
OoT-98
MM-00
OoA/OoS- 01
ALttP/FS- 2002
TWW- 2002
FSA- 2004
TMC- 2004
TP- 2006
PH-2007
Link's Crossbow Training- 2007
ST- 2009
OoT 3DS- 2011
SS-2011
ALBW- 2013
TWW HD- 2013
MM 3DS- 2015
TFH-2015
TP HD- 2016
BOTW- 2017

Whether its a remake/port or a brand new 2D Zelda. I think we will see one next year.

I think we will have to see what else Nintendo and 3rd parties have up their sleeve for 2019. If Nintendo releases Smash Bros, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 4 and Metroid Prime 4 all within about a year time frame. It'll be like the 2nd coming of the Gamecube all in one year. Speaking of which, I hope 2019 will be the year that Capcpom finally gives us RE4 HD portable on Switch with gyro assisted aiming. I would also love RE5 portable.

I don’t think 2018 was necessarily a “bad” year, but they consciously leaned on ports and indies to reinforce portability as a major value-add. I think holding off on big first party titles til Q4 was purposeful.

It’ll be interesting to see them leverage the pressure from buyers to pump out more AAA hits, while also making sure third parties get an even playing field.

I’ll say this: I bought more third party games this year than I ever did on a Nintendo console, and it’s mostly because the first party games I love weren’t released. Like it or not, Nintendo fans aren’t gonna take a great third party game over a great first party one. If there’s a big Nintendo IP drought, it’s coz they’re letting something else shine.
I dont think it was intentional. Yoshi and Fire Emblem were supposed to be released this year. Smash just barely makes this year. Also rumors earlier this year suggested Gamefreak wasnt as confident that they would make 2018 as Nintendo was. Also while 3rd parties have a tendency to struggle on Nintendo consoles. The last major 3rd party exclusive that had Worldwide appeal was RE4 and even then Capcom announced the PS2 version before the GCN title released. There have been a number of major AAA 3rd party titles that are geared to the Japanese audience that have performed great on Nintendo handhelds such as Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter.

Overall, I'd say 2018 was a decent year. The lineup was filled with a lot of ports but it was a very diverse lineup of software that appeals to a broader audience than Nintendo platforms typically do. Indies also were unexpected surprises with Celeste, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells.
I see a lot of biases going on in this thread. I'm convinced that Smash Ultimate will sell very, very well. Top 5? I don't know. I doubt it. It's really funny to say it's bold to say Ultimate won't be on the top 5, because it's also bold to say it will be. We don't know. But I agree it will probably be the best yet in terms of sales.

On the flip side, isn't Zelda still outselling Super Mario Odyssey month to month? I think Zelda will probably end out on top, but maybe I've skipped too many monthly sales numbers.

Until someone suggested Pokemon dominating the top, I had never considered how the hybrid nature will change what is in the top 10! Interesting!
I think BotW will end up close to Odyssey LTD. While BotW has stronger legs. Odyssey had a much stronger launch and is still selling as well.

What was the new single-player IPs that sold over 5m this last 5 years ?

Unless it is openworld (which will need a lot of effort and therefore is more cautionously used on a strong IP), there are not a lot of them.

That's just the state of the market, Nintendo's internal team are focused on best-selling franchise.

External teams like Monolith or a combinaison of passion project/timing like with ARMS are the 2 big possibilities.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Nobody is talking about those. We’re talking about big single player experiences. Nintendo hasn’t done a new single player IP in a very long time and that was Monolith.
Aonuma's thief game? I actually think there is a chance Aonuma will have Fujibayashi work on a new IP while Tominaga will take the DLC team + new Zelda staff hired to make a BOTW sequel. See y'all in 2020!

Unless it is openworld (which will need a lot of effort and therefore is more cautionously used on a strong IP), there are not a lot of them.

That's just the state of the market, Nintendo's internal team are focused on best-selling franchise.

External teams like Monolith or a combinaison of passion project/timing like with ARMS are the 2 big possibilities.
The Last of Us is the only non-open world I can think of. It definitely isn't encouraging. Maybe it can be a great sp and mp game.

Monolith makes sense to me. A single player action game

Let Sakurai loose again. Go back to KI or make another sp and mp masterpiece. That idea would probably sound crazy to Nintendo though. Even if the launch had the glaring control issue in the way, performance really wasn't all that great for the amount of effort. Tbf, they also dropped the game from promotion pretty quickly imo.

Aonuma's thief game? I actually think there is a chance Aonuma will have Fujibayashi work on a new IP while Tominaga will take the DLC team + new Zelda staff hired to make a BOTW sequel. See y'all in 2020!
I mentioned Aonuma’s thief game earlier. I really want it to be a real thing. He said Nintendo asked him. I can see him obliging.

You think Fujibiyashi is moving on? I guess it’s good to move on from the very top.

I don't really think Nintendo cares about all their games being 5 million+ selling hits. They usually go by the philosophy of "if it made money, it was worth it". That, and they deliberately keep development budgets low in order to ensure profitability. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that we'd see new single player IP from them in-house.