No PlayStation Experience for 2018

Damn a lot of people are all in on PS5 in 2019.

I’m still betting on 2020. Not having PSX this year doesn’t make my mind automatically jump to PS5 in 2019 at all.

I always assumed TLOU 2 would be the last major PS4 game like the 1st one was for PS3 and release in either June or fall of 2019.

Yes , it's not hard. It's like copying someone's homework while creating a new game is actually doing it from scratch. It's not even close to being the same. I'm not saying it's a cake walk but it's definitely not hard, or even a risk to remake a game, it's simple and cheap.

I don't care about VR games, I don't have a PSVR, and like 95%+ of PS4 owners don't either. They shouldn't have to stop producing regular PS4 titles just because of VR. I mean, if anything the resources from funding Vita games have gone to funding PSVR, though I feel like Vita games are larger scale then most of these VR games. So yes, it has stopped. I mean, you're just contradicting yourself, PSVR games are not "PS4 games", theyr'e PSVR games, they're separate. So when you say that they've moved to VR, you're pretty much agreeing that they've stopped.

You talk about them opening new studios, but they've also closed studios. And ooo, they're making a Uncharted studio, so "risky". And I doubt that VR studio is going to be bigger than 100, or even 50 honestly.

Concrete Genie is a first party studio, I'm talking about 3rd parties.

And the funniest thing about this is, the PS4 is selling a shit ton and their first party games are selling more than ever, and yet they're investing less. Pathetic. This is what a lack of competition does and I am hoping MS does better next-gen. And people are actually defending this.
What the hell are you talking about? You’re living in a dream world if you think Sony’s investment in first party is weak.

“I don’t care about VR so that doesn’t count” that’s not how it works pal.

Why bring a PS5 when the PS4 has so much juice left?
Competition in the market such as Xbox Scarlett making news. Fall behind and they'd lose the hype. They experienced this with the PS3 when MS launched 360 a year early and gained all the attention. I am sure they are taking precautions in regards to this.

The main reason I hear is to give developers the power necessary to fulfil they're visions, such as with Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield which are aiming for next gen hardware.

Hopefully when PS5 is shown off the jump from PS4 will be big enough to put our doubts to rest.

People are reading too much into it. They are probably just planning on letting their momentum carry them into the PS5 while getting an early start on development. It makes sense that they don’t have much to announce. Also, I think 2019 is way too soon for a PS5. It’s 2020 for sure.

Shawn Layden: “We don’t want to set your expectations too high and then not deliver on that.”

Gamers: “THEY'RE ANNOUNCING THE PS5 FOR 2019 WITH AN EVENT IN FEBRUARY!”

I swear, you guys make it so easy to disappoint yourself.

Honestly I don't think there's any grand scheme at work here. My guess is they simply didn't want to spend a ton of time and money putting on an event the internet would shit on regardless for not hitting some irrational hype/announcement quota.

(Even though PSX is about the actual convention which has been amazing every year).

I don't think PS5 is happening next year, they've got more than enough to fill out the year, but we'll probably hear about it for a 2020 release. That said, the way dev cycles go, if Sony's teams that just shipped a game need two, probably three years to make another one, aiming for the PS4 in a 2020/2021 release seems dumb. By then it will most absolutely be time for new hardware.

Honestly I don't think there's any grand scheme at work here. My guess is they simply didn't want to spend a ton of time and money putting on an event the internet would shit on regardless for not hitting some irrational hype/announcement quota.

(Even though PSX is about the actual convention which has been amazing every year).
This sort of goes with what I said above... They've got Ghosts, Days Gone, Death Stranding and Last of Us II left... aka the same stuff they had for E3, and more or less the same stuff they had for PSX and PGW last years as well. You got to figure Guerrilla is the first party studio whose probably been working on whatevers next for the longest, and even then you're looking at 2020 earliest. So with the lineup being stuff they've shown multiple times and then everyone else working on stuff that's probably not going to see the light of day until 2020 (and at that point, probably new hardware) there just doesn't seem to be a point to hold a PSX.

I honestly don’t think Sony is going to announce more AAA games for the PS4 sans maybe something like Gran Turismo, and I expect that to impact their conferences until they’re finally ready to show the PS5.

If we assume Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima for 2019 along with Death Stranding and TLOU 2 for 2020, they don’t really need much else to float to November 2020 or whatever.

PlayStation Meeting 2020:

- Horizon 2 announced, full blown 15 min gameplay demo, looks fucking incredible, you can ride stormbirds and climb the machines, next gen is here, "Has Guerrila surpassed Naughty Dog?" threads, etc

- Bloodborne 2 announced, looks incredible and it is 60fps, directed by Miyazaki, trailer ends showing a gigantic Cthulhu boss emerging from the sea

- Ratchet and Clank Open World announced, Pixar like graphics in real time, traversal is super important and a focus for Insomniac

- God of War Part II announced, Atreus is fully playable and he is older (16 years old) alongside Kratos, Thor is shown

- Gran Turismo Horizon-esque announced, open world Japan, return to form by Polyphony adding all the great online features of Sports and a full blown campaign

BRING IT ON

I honestly don’t think Sony is going to announce more AAA games for the PS4 sans maybe something like Gran Turismo, and I expect that to impact their conferences until they’re finally ready to show the PS5.
Totally agree. They have plenty to go to get them through to ps5 launch

Death stranding on ps5 you think? Or both?

- Horizon 2 announced, full blown 15 min gameplay demo, looks fucking incredible, you can ride stormbirds and climb the machines, next gen is here, "Has Guerrila surpassed Naughty Dog?" threads, etc

- Bloodborne 2 announced, looks incredible and it is 60fps, directed by Miyazaki, trailer ends showing a gigantic Cthulhu boss emerging from the sea

- Ratchet and Clank Open World announced, Pixar like graphics in real time, traversal is super important and a focus for Insomniac

- God of War Part II announced, Atreus is fully playable and he is older (16 years old) alongside Kratos, Thor is shown

- Gran Turismo Horizon-esque announced, open world Japan, return to form by Polyphony adding all the great online features of Sports and a full blown campaign
And then Memento woke up, went on ResetERA and posted "Guys I just had the most amazing dream!"

BRING IT ON
If I can add something: full backwards compatibility with PS4. Games, apps, accessoires, if it runs on PS4 it runs on PS5. Also PS5 Enhanced patches for the PS4's biggest exclusives. 4K, 60FPS and generally better graphics.

Can someone explain to me why gamers jump so easily into some fabricated conclusions? The only thing I get from this is that they want to have some fresh content for E3 2019 (i'm expecting a new Ratchet game and probably a new Japan studio project + Wild re-reveal). Anyways, Sony is experimenting with their conferences this whole generation so I don't see how this is going to impact the release of PS5 in anyway. The fact that they're going to release Dreams in 2019 which is supposed to (finally) make a good use of PS4's social/sharing functions in a robust way (there's a reason for the delays, Sony is not expecting a flop) makes a 2019 PS5 a non-possibility.

If I can add something: full backwards compatibility with PS4. Games, apps, accessoires, if it runs on PS4 it runs on PS5. Also PS5 Enhanced patches for the PS4's biggest exclusives. 4K, 60FPS and generally better graphics.
Yup!

They will announce the "PS4 Classics Initiative": 4k/60fps patches for backward compatible select titles from PS4. List of games:

- Spiderman
- God of War
- The Last of Us Part II
- Death Stranding
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy
- Bloodborne
- Horizon Zero Dawn

*They will eventually announce big Third Party games too

Native PS1, PS2,PS3,PS4,PSP, PSVITA BC do it sony. It even has a psp mini disk reader and vita card reader built in.
PS1,PS2, PSP, PSVITA native memory card support. PS3 and PS4 hard drive support. All previous controllers compatible. Ultimate PlayStation.

Two thoughts.

1) Wow at Dreams STILL not being out anytime soon.

2) LOL at everyone who thinks PS5 is 2019.
Your two points are connected.

1. Dreams is a creative piece of software. It doesn’t really matter when it launches as it will have a lifespan beyond generations. Priority is to nail it at launch.

2. It’s pretty obvious everything this late in PS4 development is cross-gen. CPU aside, the jump to PS5 can be as seamless as the move from PS4, to PS4 Pro.

Sony went a year earlier with Pro and it solidified their market dominance. The same will be true with PS5 if we assume the next XB is 2020. The priority has to be making the right strategic move. The power narrative is redundant as it’s a moving target. More so with mid-gen refreshes.

BRING IT ON
Bruh, you’re making me too excited.

The main reason I hear is to give developers the power necessary to fulfil they're visions, such as with Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield which are aiming for next gen hardware.

Hopefully when PS5 is shown off the jump from PS4 will be big enough to put our doubts to rest.
The jump to next gen will most likely be one of the smallest ever.

I'll say it again the event should have never been streamed. Should had the news spread through word of mouth and articles. Really amp up the exclusiveness of it.

Terrible news.. but understandable. Frankly.. I wouldve just had a free event and let people play demos etc like E3.
Does make me wonder how their gameplan plays out a PS5 announcement.
Lets say MS have their event and say... "here guys is our next gen specs!, We release it November 2019"...
Then Sony announces Playstation meeting 2019 to talk future of Playstation.

Or maybe Im reading way too much into this, maybe they will talk PS5 at PSX 2019 and a launch in 2020. Maybe.

XO coming back but Sony skipping Psx? Hmm.

Is it coz MS again took all 3rd party games for Xo just like E3 and Sony has nothing new to show? MS must be bringing some really big that can't Sony match as they have nothing new and big to announce ?

This only confirms psx will happen on Feb with less going on and reveal of ps5

Ps5 in 2019 will bring Sony to better position in market than 2020, also Sony confirmed that if they announce hardware, they want to announce close to release, no more than 1 year in between.

Ps5 2019 holidays, GOT alongside, then TLOU 2 early 2020 then follow by other games announced at psx Feb 2019

Sounds like perfect plan, ppl want to play TLOU 2 and when it's available on both ps4 and 5, it will reach to more people

It's actually cancelled this year because Shawn ran out of new shirts and hasn't had time to go shopping yet.

Seriously though. Every PSX has been at least somewhat of a disappointment. Most of the fun I had at them was hanging with friends. PSX had so much wasted potential.

Hope they use the extra time to actually do things better and Shawn didn't say "this year" because he just didn't want to admit it's done for good.

Vito

formerly Undead Fantasy
Yup!

They will announce the "PS4 Classics Initiative": 4k/60fps patches for backward compatible select titles from PS4. List of games:

- Spiderman
- God of War
- The Last of Us Part II
- Death Stranding
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy
- Bloodborne
- Horizon Zero Dawn

*They will eventually announce big Third Party games too
I rather have PS5 ports to be honest.

Hey Shawn, you don't need a ton of announcements to have a convention floor full of awesome indie games, developers and PR to talk to, some third party games and a big first party game or two. You know, like every PSX.
I’ve only been to the second one in SF but that was honestly my favorite part. Getting hands-on with a bunch of titles from smaller studios and getting to chat with the developers in person was a real treat. Shame they aren’t doing one this year.

What the hell are you talking about? You’re living in a dream world if you think Sony’s investment in first party is weak.

“I don’t care about VR so that doesn’t count” that’s not how it works pal.
What the hell are you talking about? Of course that's how it works, those are not PS4 games, they're seperate. I don't even understand what the hell you're trying to argue? Are you actually going to tell me that Sony hasn't stopped investing in the smaller titles like Journey? Because it's literally a fact.