No PlayStation Experience for 2018

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Now that 7nm is in volume production a 2019 PS5 launch makes a lot of sense. Cross gen releases will sustain it for the first year and a half just like they did for the PS4 and they will get a huge jump on the competition and set the baseline for specs. Releasing a 12tf box in 2019 is preferable to a 14tf one in 2020, from a business standpoint and if the 2019 option is available now that 7nm is in production Sony will likely go for it.

Nov 2, 2017
What the hell are you talking about? Of course that's how it works, those are not PS4 games, they're seperate. I don't even understand what the hell you're trying to argue?
They are PS4 games, made for PS4, played on PS4 with a headset, you don’t dismiss games you don’t care about.

Are you actually going to tell me that Sony hasn't stopped investing in the smaller titles like Journey? Because it's literally a fact.
Yes, that’s straight up a lie, VR games, Dreams, Concrete Genie, Knack 1 and 2, Ratchet, LBP, just to name a few.

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Shawn only mentioned Days Gone and Dreams is suspicious.
There's nothing suspicious about only mentioning the two games with a release year attached to them, not to mention they are first half of the year titles, so the upcoming marketing focus is on those two. Shawn is not going to low key name drop release year in a podcast for games without a release year attached to them. That does not prevent 1 or 2 of TLoU2, Death Stranding or Ghost to release in second half 2019.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't discount early 2020 after the switch success
I really, really don't get this argument.

The PS4 sold 1M in 24 hours in November 2013.

Switch only proved Nintendo itself can do decently in a March launch. Sony has zero reason to take that risk.

No PSX is fine is they have nothing new to announce. I'm not buying a PS5 launch for 2019, so I'm hoping they're saving up for a great E3.

Oct 25, 2017
I’m leaning into late 2019 release now after this move by Sony.

Their momentum is completely shot, while at the same time, I believe momentum could easily have been maintained for another year if they chose to do so.

Jan 3, 2018
I’m leaning into late 2019 release now after this move by Sony.

Their momentum is completely shot, while at the same time, I believe momentum could easily have been maintained for another if they chose to do so.
We are in the same team now.

I was in team 2020 until this announcement. Shu said there were more unannounced PS4 games in development and they hadn't decided more events for this year. And creative director at Japan Studio was going to announce this year he said but all that plan has changed now. I believe that visit to Tokyo in March by Shawn and marketing was a decision to move to PS5. Shu is even telling Dengeki Online at TGS they have people now from their previous collabs (Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Oreshika 2) who wants to make AAA at JAPAN Studio.

If they were going to announce PS5 in 2020 they would have a PGW conference or PSX this year. I'm no longer in team 2020 and after Nick Accordino's tweet after E3 2018 that he has to rest to the end of the year because next year is going to be craaaaazy. He is now saying loooot of good stuff coming and they are not going to have another slow year after that statement.

https://twitter.com/Nikoro/status/1041723058594078721?s=19

Aug 28, 2018
I really doubt all those games will be announced at the reveal event though. Remember that Horizon released a full 18 months before Spider-Man, so the sequel is likely going to be ready long before Spidey 2.

At the PS5 event I could see announcements Horizon 2, a major wildcard (like Uncharted 5 or Bloodborne 2), and some other AA stuff or third party games.
Oh sure but you gotta assume at least some of them will be announced. Definitely. I can see Horizon 2 or Bloodborne 2. Uncharted 5 is a possibility too. Remember: There’s going to be surprises and announcements no one can predict.

So I still expect more 1st Party surprises in addition to that.

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I see a repeat of PS4 launch. A bit or original and lots of ports. Expect your Battlefields, your Call of Duties, your FIFAs, and they'll toss a few indie titles for PSN. Might see the next title from Guerrilla Games (Horizon Zero Dawn 2 perhaps), maybe tease Bloodborne 2 a bit. Might see top exclusive PS4 titles enhanced for PS5. A lot of studios are hush since their last PS4 title, so it's very possible. I read rumours that some studios are already getting devkits.
Thanks for your reply, very useful :)

Oct 27, 2017
Ummmm, not sure switch is a direct competitor to Sony .

Playstation is still selling very well in its current year
He meant that the PS5 could feasibly release in early 2020. People discounted the Q1 release for Switch, but it turned out wonderfully for Nintendo. Nothing to do with competiting.

Oct 29, 2017
There is zero chance that the PS5 launches in 2019. That makes zero business sense. Really it makes no sense at all in any way.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018
There is zero chance that the PS4 launches in 2019. That makes zero business sense. Really it makes no sense at all in any way.
Still more big heavy hitters left. KH3, RE2, DMC5, DS, GoS, TloU2, etc. List goes on and on...so many more good games coming next year and beyond. PS5 is not happening next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Still more big heavy hitters left. KH3, RE2, DMC5, DS, GoS, TloU2, etc. List goes on and on...so many more good games coming next year and beyond. PS5 is not happening next year.
In my opinion, all these heavy hitters coming out, combined with 100% BC of PS4 games with PS5 would be a unique selling proposition for Sony and is the ideal way for them to transition into next gen.

Aug 28, 2018
In my opinion, all these heavy hitters coming out, combined with 100% BC of PS4 games with PS5 would be a unique selling proposition for Sony and is the ideal way for them to transition into next gen.
Absolutely. Horizon and Bloodborne 2 leading them into next gen with surprises like Uncharted 5 and other announcements.

Oct 25, 2017
I still think people would prefer Sony finish most of their current lineup and then make full PS5 games using the next system as the baseline.

2020 is stil my preferred launch dste.

Jan 3, 2018
I still think people would prefer Sony finish most of their current lineup and then make full PS5 games using the next system as the baseline.

2020 is stil my preferred launch dste.
Ideally PS5 in 2019 is better than 2020 if it has 12tf and Xbox has 14tf.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Horizon and Bloodborne 2 leading them into next gen with surprises like Uncharted 5 and other announcements.
Sure. I really do think this is Sony’s strategy. It’s makes a lot of sense. Too much sense.

Everybody keeps saying we don’t need PS5 yet because this gen is still selling so well, but if you wait until the sales dry up, it’s already too late. The best time to introduce a new product is when your previous product is at its peak.

Look at Apple and their semi-recent history, they had iPod, then almost killed it with iPod mini, then they completely killed that with iPod nano, then they killed the whole iPod range with iPhone. They did all this while the previous gen were #1 in the market.
This is what momentum is. Sony have it now, and for them to not have PSX this year, and also not announce/release PS5 next year, that would be a grave mistake.

On another note, Sony have directly name-dropped Apple recently, saying they want to reduce the time between product introduction and sale.

Also, new Playstation Prez John Kodera, will have a certain point to prove being new and all. And Many have been doubting Shawn Layden, so he will also want to prove himself.

John Kodera actually came out in May of this year and said they will spend the “next 3 years” developing PS5 so not to expect it until 2021.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-still-three-years-off-says-playstation-boss/1100-6459155/

This is just classic misdirection. Anybody who doesn’t think Mark Cerny has been developing the PS5 since the PS4 launched is crazy.

I still dunno if it’s gonna be 2019 or 2020, but again, with this move of not having PSX, it’s leaning more towards 2019 if they want to maintain momentum. It depends on the component manufacturers and pricing.

I just a strong feeling that the reason for Sony announcing ps Classic, crossplay, & ps now downloads in quick succession and then announcing that they are not hosting PSX this year is because they were waiting until the very last second to see whether PS5 is feasible next year. If not, they’d host a PSX.

This might seem far-fetched, because you’d think plans couldn’t change like this on a dime. But with consoles being glorified PCs now, the launch of a new one is almost purely beholden to component availability as opposed to design. Relative to previous PlayStations, I think PS5 is going to be most straight forward in their history.

Final note: with sony’s recent moves in introducing ps Classic, ps now downloads and crossplay, it’s pretty obvious they aren’t resting on their laurels at all. Which makes not having a PSX this year even more baffling if they don’t do PS5 next year.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Feb or March for PS5 reveal.

Also PSN shut down on PS3 alongside a suite of new features including name changes.
I don't think it'll be as simple as shutting down PSN on PS3. I think Sony will probably disable new account creation on PS3, delist games on PS3 store over time, and have almost all of first party games with online multiplayer ended. The fact that Warhawk is shutting down this month is the end of PS3 though.

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally PS5 in 2019 is better than 2020 if it has 12tf and Xbox has 14tf.
Because if they launched side by side people will migrate to Xbox because of the extra power? It's possible I guess but then why not launch later with better specs rather than rush to launch and hope being first gives them an edge?

Oct 25, 2017
Because if they launched side by side people will migrate to Xbox because of the extra power? It's possible I guess but then why not launch later with better specs rather than rush to launch and hope being first gives them an edge?
Launch of PS4 Pro showed us that what MS does doesn’t have much/if any bearing on Sony executing on their own plans. By all accounts, PS4 Pro launch was smooth and has been successful.

As someone else earlier said, “most powerful console” is just an outmoded narrative and has little bearing on the overall success or failure of a console.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they're releasing a ps5 in 2019 but I'm seeing an announcement for it by the end of the year for sure.

That's Nvidia. Overpriced and overrated trash.
Imagine unironically typing this out. Console wars are a hell of a drug.

Hear me out (PS5 launch game):

Guerrilla has hired the Rainbow Six lead designer a while back. They are moving into a huge new building and have been hiring plenty. I believe they're aiming to have two IP's...

"The Kill Zone" (TKZ)

Battle Royale MP set in the Killzone universe (no SP).
Dark twisted sci-fi with stormy poluted lands. Dust and radioactive rain.
100 players at 60fps running on Decima. The classes & abilities from KZ2 returns.
Mechs, bots & dropships. Helghast and ISA.

Who's with me?

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hear me out (PS5 launch game):

Guerrilla has hired the Rainbow Six lead designer a while back. They are moving into a huge new building and have been hiring plenty. I believe they're aiming to have two IP's...

"The Kill Zone" (TKZ)

Battle Royale MP set in the Killzone universe (no SP).
Dark twisted sci-fi with stormy poluted lands. Dust and radioactive rain.
100 players at 60fps running on Decima. The classes & abilities from KZ2 returns.
Mechs, bots & dropships. Helghast and ISA.

Who's with me?
Don't think Killzone as launch title, if at all, is happening. The expansion has yet to happen, then they have to hire up to 150 developers and then can they start proper development of the 2nd project (1st one almost surely being Horizon 2 after HZD's success). I also just think they're done with Killzone and would rather try a new IP or maybe pick up another Sony shooter like SOCOM.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone else earlier said, “most powerful console” is just an outmoded narrative and has little bearing on the overall success or failure of a console.
And I'd agree, as long as Sony doesn't make any monumental mistakes they should be fine.

After that sad E3 showing that's no surprise. I doubt they have anything else to show.
No surprise, considering their lackluster E3 showing.
It was a badly presented show, especially because of that huge interval at the start, but much of Microsoft's great E3 showing was filled up by third parties that will all appear on Playstation.

Sony has 4 new IP's in the form of Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima & Dreams, plus the first sequel to their biggest hit last gen with The Last of Us part 2.

But somehow Microsoft's major exclusive lineup for the rest of this gen being, so far, yet another Gears and yet another far off Halo (that will likely launch alongside their Next Box) is superior somehow...

It's okay to have preferences but even from an unbiased point Sony have a lot more left in the tank compared to Microsoft this gen.

Oct 29, 2017
The only thing I'm really taking from this announcement is there are no more major 1st party projects for the PS4 other than whats been announced and shown, and that does increase the likelihood that a new system is maybe revealed sometime in 2019. The Switch is not even 2 years old yet and MS is still pushing the X and their renewed commitment to gaming overall, the PS4 just isn't in the same place as those two.

Jan 15, 2018
Why is this any different to releasing Last of Us, Beyond, GT6 etc. on PS3 the year PS4 launched? That was also a transition where, more than any other gen, there was a clear break from PS3 to PS4.

This time all those listed titles will be on PS5 day one. Be it via BC or dedicated ports. We’ve also experienced the upgrade to PS4 Pro at the very height of PS4’s success. Many would have argued there was no need for that.

I think we can all agree at least one or more of Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima are 2020 releases. Whether PS5 launches in ‘19 or ‘20, some of the above titles are going to be cross-gen launch titles for PS5. Supplement these with a handful of PS5 exclusives and you have an extremely strong launch line-up.

Oct 29, 2017
You're right. It's far ahead of them.
I mean, yeah, its finishing up its incredibly successful run and it would take a huge amount of of fanboy goalpost moving to see it any other way. The PS4 still has viability as a console to your average consumer who haven't bought a console or maybe want a second one. Get that thing down to $199 or less sometime in the future and you have a huge lineup of GH titles to choose from. Worked for the PS1 and PS2

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, its finishing up its incredibly successful run and it would take a huge amount of of fanboy goalpost moving to see it any other way. The PS4 still has viability as a console to your average consumer who haven't bought a console or maybe want a second one. Get that thing down to $199 or less sometime in the future and you have a huge lineup of GH titles to choose from. Worked for the PS1 and PS2
I don’t think the strategy of getting the console down to a price is $199 and having a range of GH is desireable in today’s market.

Sony will want to maintain the average selling price of their console for sure and digital sales is a much more cost effective way of selling games.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see a disc-less network-only PS4 at $199.
Oh yeah, if they wanna hit $199 that would be the only way they could achieve this. I still think the market isn’t ready for this though, especially in lower-GDP countries where this would be more attractive.

There were tons of rumours swirling of MS doing a network-only 360 last gen, but it never materialised. I dunno if the market has changed that significantly today to make it a worthwhile release.

Jan 3, 2018
It works for them best to be first on the market as what has proven in the past with PS1 and PS2 where competitors edges them out on more powerful hardware but not huge differences.

When they have games ready it won't matter to release PS5 in 2019 if it has PS4 BC. It's always about the games and marketing over power.