No PlayStation Experience for 2018

Still more big heavy hitters left. KH3, RE2, DMC5, DS, GoS, TloU2, etc. List goes on and on...so many more good games coming next year and beyond. PS5 is not happening next year.
2013 was stacked for the PS3, didn't prevent Sony to launch the PS4 at all.

The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, Gran Turismo 6, Puppeteer, Rain, MLB 13, Ni No Kuni, God of War Ascension, Sly Cooper TiT, etc... Even Resogun.

With expected BC, a stacked PS4 year makes a lot of sense for a PS5 launch imo.

Given Sony's history of aiming for 6/4 launch schedules, it also makes sense from a prod perspective, if the components/ techs are ready at the right price.
So even though I wouldn't discount 2020 entirely, 2019 also makes all kinds of sense, specially regarding how coy they have been since E3 (where they were already low on future announcements tbh).

Last edited:
A release date or window for The Last of Us Part II and Dreams. These games were announced a long time ago and we still have no idea when they're coming out.
Yes, and that's because Sony announces games years in advance.

It's the only thing Sony can do. They have nowhere near the first party resources of Nintendo, and rely heavily on third parties.

You cant expect them to show anuthing if they have nothing to show

PS5 is coming in 2020, we already know the rest of big hits they're preparing for the PS4 (Days Gone, Dreams, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us), it's a lot of stuff in both quantity and quality. It's obvious that the next round of big games will be on PS5 and they need to be prepared (ex. Guerrilla is definetly making Horizon 2 for PS5 launch window).
They cannot overexpose the same games just to make an other conference. Not to mention that the same people who are complaining about the lack of PSX would be first in line to complain about the lack of announcements during the event, like it happened last year.
So yeah if they feel there's not enough new content to announce it's better not to make an event. Next E3 they might start teasing the PS5.

2013 was stacked for the PS3, didn't prevent Sony to launch the PS4 at all.

The Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, Gran Turismo 6, Puppeteer, Rain, MLB 13, Ni No Kuni, God of War Ascension, Sly Cooper TiT, etc... Even Resogun.

With expected BC, a stacked PS4 year makes a lot pf sense for a PS5 launch imo.

Given Sony's history of aiming for 6/4 launch schedules, it also makes sense from a prod perspective, if the components/ techs are ready at the right price.
So even though I wouldn't discount 2020 entirely, 2019 also makes all kinds of sense, specially regarding how coy they have been since E3 (where they were already low on future announcements tbh).
You make a great point in regards to Sony launching the PS4 in 2013, while the PS3 still had amazing titles lined up throughout the year. If the PS5 were to launch in Q4 2019, I could honestly see Days Gone + Dreams as PS4 exclusives while Ghost of Tsushima + The Last of US Part II as cross-gen titles. Possible PS5 launch exclusives could range from Ratchet and Clank to Sony Japan's new title. In 2020, we could see Death Stranding (possible cross-gen), Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Bluepoint's new remake. I know this may sound like a stretch, but I could see this happening (possibly). Nevertheless, 2019 should be an interesting transitional year for gaming.

SG-17

Community Resettler
It works for them best to be first on the market as what has proven in the past with PS1 and PS2 where competitors edges them out on more powerful hardware but not huge differences.

When they have games ready it won't matter to release PS5 in 2019 if it has PS4 BC. It's always about the games and marketing over power.
Being fully backwards compatible really helped the PS2 as well.

Exactly. Sony has nothing to gain from cutting this gen short.
I wouldn't really consider it cutting this gen short. There are several complaints regarding the PS3's longer than average console lifespan (7 years). If this gen were to also last until Q4 2020, that would also result in a 7 year console cycle. Also, even if the PS5 were to release, Sony would still support the PS4 for another 2-3 years or so.

I feel as though next-gen is sooner than we think. With all this talk of next-gen titles/hardware, it'd be odd for consoles to still be a full 2 years out. I realize there are several factors impacting the release of next-gen consoles (ex. AMD's production roadmap on their 7nm chips), but I'm personally leaning towards a release prior to Q4 2020. In my opinion, between Q4 2019 - Q1 2020, we'll see new hardware on the market.

Once again Sony cruisin in second gear, While Microsoft and Nintendo are in 5th.

Well, let see how it works out for them.
If Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, The Last of Us part II and Death Stranding are Sony's "second gear", what the hell is their 5th?

It's the only thing Sony can do. They have nowhere near the first party resources of Nintendo, and rely heavily on third parties.
???

I wouldn't really consider it cutting this gen short. There are several complaints regarding the PS3's longer than average console lifespan (7 years). If this gen were to also last until Q4 2020, that would also result in a 7 year console cycle. Also, even if the PS5 were to release, Sony would still support the PS4 for another 2-3 years or so.

I feel as though next-gen is sooner than we think. With all this talk of next-gen titles/hardware, it'd be odd for consoles to still be a full 2 years out. I realize there are several factors impacting the release of next-gen consoles (ex. AMD's production roadmap on their 7nm chips), but I'm personally leaning towards a release prior to Q4 2020. In my opinion, between Q4 2019 - Q1 2020, we'll see new hardware on the market.
It makes no sense to compare this gen to gens from more than a decade ago. Development time is longer than ever and so is the time the hardware needs to make noticeable graphic gains.

So if anything this gen should match or even exceed the last.

I'm fine with that. E3, Gamescom, TGS, TGA and PSX was just way too much. We were getting a lot of repeats and content was getting thinner and thinner.

That said... I do expect a Sony-only show in the same year that the PS5 is coming out. Probably similar to how they did the PS4.

Mysterious Kodera has Playstation on lockdown, it definitely looks like the PS5 will be chiselled in his image. A 2020 console which is a year later than hoped could easily be called the PS5KDN (Playstation 5 Kodera Digital Network) so deep shall his imprint be.

Being fully backwards compatible really helped the PS2 as well.
Yep.

GOW Ascension, Beyond Two Souls, TLOU, Rain, Puppeteer, GT6 had no problems to release on PS3 when they announced PS4 and released it for the holiday.

This time PS5 will have PS4 BC so late 2019 release is inevitable.

There is no way that they will have another E3 with Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2 and Death Stranding like people say here in the thread. PS Meeting early next year is around the corner.

They are PS4 games, made for PS4, played on PS4 with a headset, you don’t dismiss games you don’t care about.

Yes, that’s straight up a lie, VR games, Dreams, Concrete Genie, Knack 1 and 2, Ratchet, LBP, just to name a few.
They're not PS4 games , they're PSVR games. As just a PS4 owner, I cannot play those games, therefore, they aren't PS4 games, it's really simple.
Man, this is what happens you have no idea what you're talking about. I have been talking about smaller made 3rd party made games like Journey, Alienation, Helldivers, The Tomorrow Children, etc. Literally, and I mean literally, none of those games fit those category. So if you're going to reply to someone like you know what you're talking about, why don't you read properly next time. Lol, I even mentioned why VR games shouldn't even matter in a post you replied too, but hay, I guess you don't like to read.

They're not PS4 games , they're PSVR games. As just a PS4 owner, I cannot play those games, therefore, they aren't PS4 games, it's really simple.
Man, this is what happens you have no idea what you're talking about. I have been talking about smaller made 3rd party made games like Journey, Alienation, Helldivers, The Tomorrow Children, etc. Literally, and I mean literally, none of those games fit those category. So if you're going to reply to someone like you know what you're talking about, why don't you read properly next time. Lol, I even mentioned why VR games shouldn't even matter in a post you replied too, but hay, I guess you don't like to read.
Even yourself don’t know what you want, in one post you are talking about first party and in another’s you’re talking about third party, PSVR games are still investment which goes against what you were claiming, you can dismiss them as much as you want but that changes nothing.

Yes, and that's because Sony announces games years in advance.

You cant expect them to show anuthing if they have nothing to show
It's not the only thing they can do. They can stunt development and release games sooner, but that would benefit nobody. They could announce nothing at all, but that wouldn't exactly go down well either. Even if any of what you said was true, the production values of Sony games (looking at their more recent games) are much higher and so they spend longer making games that are attributed to that higher production value. They have been producing more ambitious new IP for many years, and those are known to take a lot longer to get right, if they want them to succeed.

In regards to third-party, Nintendo barely has close to the same support as Sony so they have to rely more on their first-party to create the appeal of their platform for a lot longer. Whereas with a PlayStation console, you know what's coming even if the launch is relatively underwhelming.

They're not PS4 games , they're PSVR games.
Lollllllllllll.

What you say makes no sense. Of course PSVR games are PS4 games. They are the same thing. PSVR could be considered its own platform, but technically, it’s just a peripheral of PS4. Are you saying if a game requires the use of PlayStation move Controllers they aren’t PS4 games, but PSMove games?

If this is it for the PS4 then personally speaking, the first party offerings were underwhelming. I know... i know... most of their games have been getting good reviews. But they're mostly mature games, i am a fan of the lighter kinded fare and we only really got 1 Ratchet game, 2 Knack games and i guess i should count Gravity Rush. What a letdown... i am not interested in more realistic games with guns. And yeah... i guess the writing's on the wall and the PS5 will soon be revealed, but we barely got any games on PS4... so that means that we'll get even less games on PS5?, and are the tech specs on it going to be enough to make a worthwile difference between PS4 and PS5 games if they release it earlier than expected?, i am bummed all around.

If this is it for the PS4 then personally speaking, the first party offerings were underwhelming. I know... i know... most of their games have been getting good reviews. But they're mostly mature games, i am a fan of the lighter kinded fare and we only really got 1 Ratchet game, 2 Knack games and i guess i should count Gravity Rush. What a letdown... i am not interested in more realistic games with guns. And yeah... i guess the writing's on the wall and the PS5 will soon be revealed, but we barely got any games on PS4... so that means that we'll get even less games on PS5?, and are the tech specs on it going to be enough to make a worthwile difference between PS4 and PS5 games if they release it earlier than expected?, i am bummed all around.
The CPU upgrade alone will make a ton of difference between PS4 and PS5 games. The CPU in PS4 is really bad.

This confirms PS5 2020 as far as I'm concerned. PSX spec reveal next year. Hardware unveil at E3 '20 + price reveal and preorder opens. November 2020 release.

Just like last time with PS4, E3 will come and go next year with no news leaving some frustrated, but it will come at PSX.

Xbox definitely knew this when announcing X0 2018.
Guess everything will be at Game Awards now.

but I'm okay with this. If they have nothing to show, there is no rush - but the cat's out of the bag now. They can no longer deny they are working on PS5 exclusives.

People that think holiday 2020, what games are coming out first 3 quarters of 2020? You think there are any unannounced first party PS4 games ?
This. People are funny in this thread.

Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2 and Death Stranding at E3 again without anything new to show? They will be a laughing stock.

PS5 reveal is coming with unannounced games in development previously planned for PS4 but now on PS5.

They are not going to announce more games for PS4. It's done.