NVIDIA RTX 20 Series Reviews

Hey...sorry for using this thread for this, but my 2080ti purchase has motivated me to upgrade my cpu/motherboards/memory as well *rolleyes*...

Is there a strong opinion about an ASUS Rog Strix z370-e gaming vs an MSI z370 gaming plus?

Just read Gamers Nexus review of NVLINKed 2080tis and while it seems more efficient, still seems like something to stay away from. Even GN warns consumers to steer clear. It's awesome when it works, but the article states that it's more of the same issues.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3366-nvlink-benchmark-rtx-2080-ti-pcie-bandwidth-x16-vs-x8
That’s mainly because Nvidia still hasn’t really implemented it correctly yet.
When they do it should be pretty great.

They have the potential to make two card act as one card unlike sli.

I don't believe Palit sells cards in the USA but they are a pretty well known brand. Realistically all these 2080 TI cards are really within margin of error of performance from each other.

That’s mainly because Nvidia still hasn’t really implemented it correctly yet.
When they do it should be pretty great.

They have the potential to make two card act as one card unlike sli.
If Nvidia can actually do this then that would be amazing. That could be a game changer too. But this is a case I have to see it to believe it.

I don't believe Palit sells cards in the USA but they are a pretty well known brand. Realistically all these 2080 TI cards are really within margin of error of performance from each other.

If Nvidia can actually do this then that would be amazing. That could be a game changer too. But this is a case I have to see it to believe it.
Correct, I've never seen Palit in the USA, makes me sad.

Last night 7:51pm got amazon email saying new delivery estimate Oct 3-11.
This morning 7:02am got amazon email saying new delivery estimate Oct 1-2.
Ordered MSI 2080 Trio Aug 20 1:36pm.

I installed my 2080 last night and I'm pretty happy with the improvement coming from a 970. I mainly wanted to hit 4K60 or close to it in most of my games and now I can do that. The 970 was just too choppy above 1440p unless the game was really old or undemanding. Tried out games like Skyrim SE, Fallout 4, GTAV, Tekken 7 and all are now pleasantly playable at 4K60. For the record I don't use any AA at 4K so that probably helps.

Tonight I'll move the 970 up to the older computer upstairs and then I'll have a GTX 770 that I have no use whatsoever for. I'm not going to bother with selling it to a stranger so I'll probably just trade it for some old games or something at the local thrift store.

Which posts discusses comparing the two motherboards?
No clue, just wanted you to be aware that there's a thread dedicated to your question, rather than handling it here off topic. Do what you wish, just trying to help. That thread is full of people eager to answer such a question. I was on mobile so I didn't elaborate.

Regardless, the answer is generally that all the more common board manufacturers have a lot of models so you should just choose one that has the features you want.

You may get anecdotal posts about manufacturers, but they are what they are. Neither Asus or MSI is that great about warranty work, but then again neither is Gigabyte. Asus prob the worst in that regard.

plagiarize

Mighty Jagrafess
If you find something that is 100% GPU limited, that might actually be possible.

(Which goes to show how great even current GPU progress still is compared to the CPU situation)
I'm definitely vram limited in many titles at 4K on my 980. Like, shadow of the tomb raider I'm getting around 16 fps average if I use the same settings Smokey used to get 60 fps average.

Edit: My card has been delivered. Just a couple more hours until I get out of work.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but now I’m search for a reference 2080 fob card. Which ones aren’t reference? I’m going to watercool it anyway so I don’t care

(I stupidly cancelled my nvidia.com order last week, and I don’t trust amazon to fulfill my pre order at this rate)

plagiarize

Mighty Jagrafess
It's installed. Forza Horizon 4 looks incredible on this thing at 4K HDR. That's a testimony to playground games, this card, and my monitor, no doubt, but *wow*.

plagiarize

Mighty Jagrafess
What monitor you got?
The Acer Predator X27. 4k HDR Gsync 144hz (although really 98 for HDR) one. It was pricy but I love it. Went with Acer over the Asus cause of aesthetics and good experiences with my last Acer panel.

I'm currently running the Precision X1 over clocking tool to see if I can break 60fps in shadow of the tomb Raider like Smokey did.

The Acer Predator X27. 4k HDR Gsync 144hz (although really 98 for HDR) one. It was pricy but I love it. Went with Acer over the Asus cause of aesthetics and good experiences with my last Acer panel.

I'm currently running the Precision X1 over clocking tool to see if I can break 60fps in shadow of the tomb Raider like Smokey did.
Man's jealous. I was tempted by the ASUS one but at £2200, it was hard to justify. Went for the 1440p 144hz ASUS to pair alongside my LG 4k 60hz HDR monitor.

plagiarize

Mighty Jagrafess
Man's jealous. I was tempted by the ASUS one but at £2200, it was hard to justify. Went for the 1440p 144hz ASUS to pair alongside my LG 4k 60hz HDR monitor.
Yeah see that makes $2000 look cheap. I don't miss UK prices for tech.

No issues with the card so far. It pairs beautifully with this monitor (my 980 was really limiting it). It's odd benchmarking older games and seeing them run worse at 4K than Horizon 4 while looking nothing like as good (Alan Wake...).

Still got lots to test, but was very happy with the Gears 4 and Horizon 4 numbers. Shadow of the tomb Raider averaged about 54 fps with stupid things turned on pushing it above very high. I really shouldn't worry about being 6 fps shy of Smokey... But I started this scan thing and I'm going to let it finish now.

No issues with the card so far. It pairs beautifully with this monitor (my 980 was really limiting it). It's odd benchmarking older games and seeing them run worse at 4K than Horizon 4 while looking nothing like as good (Alan Wake...).

Still got lots to test, but was very happy with the Gears 4 and Horizon 4 numbers. Shadow of the tomb Raider averaged about 54 fps with stupid things turned on pushing it above very high. I really shouldn't worry about being 6 fps shy of Smokey... But I started this scan thing and I'm going to let it finish now.
What scan thing? Is that the NVIDIA overclock thing?

I got my Asus PG27UQ last week and love the monitor so far.

Still awaiting my 2080Ti FTW3 to come in so I'm still stuck with my 1080 with so-so performance.

Thanks, I'll post my Gigabyte Windforce 2080 Gaming OC version score later this weekend. How are your temps?
Reaches 72C max at the moment, Ambient is about 23C. Using this basic fan profile in Afterburner. I haven't tweaked it yet, but it's fairly quiet even under load.

I should add that it's in a Fractal Design Meshify C that has really good airflow. So YMMV, obviously.