NVIDIA RTX 20 Series Reviews

Man's jealous. I was tempted by the ASUS one but at £2200, it was hard to justify. Went for the 1440p 144hz ASUS to pair alongside my LG 4k 60hz HDR monitor.
How are you finding your LG?
I got the 27UK650. It's pretty good but between backlight bleed, image retention and dirt under the screen I've gone through 3 monitors and still the one I got has a tiny speck (size of a pixel) of dirt under the panel
(though I think I'm keeping this because it's impossible to notice while playing and it's a pain to go through replacement for a 3rd time)

I'm planning to build a PC with a 2080TI and I'm debating whether to keep the LG and add a 1440 gsync monitor or just replace the LG.

How are you finding your LG?
I got the 27UK650. It's pretty good but between backlight bleed, image retention and dirt under the screen I've gone through 3 monitors and still the one I got has a tiny speck (size of a pixel) of dirt under the panel
(though I think I'm keeping this because it's impossible to notice while playing and it's a pain to go through replacement for a 3rd time)

I'm planning to build a PC with a 2080TI and I'm debating whether to keep the LG and add a 1440 gsync monitor or just replace the LG.
Thats the one I have! :P

I don't have the other problems, but BLB is a problem for super dark scenes, but as you say, you don't notice it whilst gaming.

Anyone have experience with Palit Cards? A local reseller has a Palit GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Pro OC in stock but I couldn't find any benchmarks / reviews.
Just cancelled my Gigabyte pre-order and walked into Scan and bought one of these. Holy shit the thing is a beast in every way. Killing everything at 4k/60. Possibly the worst software outside of Gigabyte (my last 3 cards have been GB) but like always use it to change the colours and never use it again (how the hell do I change the colour?!)
First Palit card and the styling seems pretty divisive but it's easily the prettiest GPU I've owned. Very happy.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Yeah see that makes $2000 look cheap. I don't miss UK prices for tech.

No issues with the card so far. It pairs beautifully with this monitor (my 980 was really limiting it). It's odd benchmarking older games and seeing them run worse at 4K than Horizon 4 while looking nothing like as good (Alan Wake...).

Still got lots to test, but was very happy with the Gears 4 and Horizon 4 numbers. Shadow of the tomb Raider averaged about 54 fps with stupid things turned on pushing it above very high. I really shouldn't worry about being 6 fps shy of Smokey... But I started this scan thing and I'm going to let it finish now.
What CPU are you on?

(Also, I'm jealous. I can only go to 150% renderscale in VC4 at 3440x1440 and get >60 FPS, clearly my 2080ti needs to arrive soon ;))

plagiarize

Mighty Jagrafess
What CPU are you on?

(Also, I'm jealous. I can only go to 150% renderscale in VC4 at 3440x1440 and get >60 FPS, clearly my 2080ti needs to arrive soon ;))
A 5930K running at 4.5 ghz. For the benchmarks that tell me gpu load vs cpu load, those remain almost completely GPU throttled. Gears 4 I was cpu throttled something like 2% of the time. I'm sure there's a bench of older games where I'll be CPU throttled now.

It's kind of eye opening benchmarking something like Arkham City or GTA5 in 4K and getting worse performance than Forza Horizon 4. Fortunately games have been getting better and better at leveraging multiple threads.

Hey that's actually very close to my current main gaming system ([email protected]). Do you have FF15? That's the "highest-end" game I'd play any time soon (other than VR of course).
I have a really hard time justifying playing FFXV, even though I own it. The leaked Vulkan patch on steamdb plus the upcoming DLSS... I just know if I wait a bit longer performance is going to be so much better.

Got my EVGA 2080 XC Ultra and popped it in. But, there's a few case related problems. The card doesn't sit flush against the PCI openings on my case like my last card did. I'm able to get my HDMI plugged in 90% of the way, but feels like it peeks out a bit. I'm getting a perfect signal so maybe nothing to worry about. What is worrying me tho is the ventilation holes on the back of the card are completely blocked by one of the metal strips separating the open PCI slits. How important are these little vent holes? Do I need to just break off this piece of metal?

Got my EVGA 2080 XC Ultra and popped it in. But, there's a few case related problems. The card doesn't sit flush against the PCI openings on my case like my last card did. I'm able to get my HDMI plugged in 90% of the way, but feels like it peeks out a bit. I'm getting a perfect signal so maybe nothing to worry about. What is worrying me tho is the ventilation holes on the back of the card are completely blocked by one of the metal strips separating the open PCI slits. How important are these little vent holes? Do I need to just break off this piece of metal?
That's how the air is vented out. Can you post a pic. Sounds like an odd case. I'm not an expert on airflow.

That's how the air is vented out. Can you post a pic. Sounds like an odd case. I'm not an expert on airflow.
I'm going to just break off the piece of metal then. It's a propriety Alienware Aurora case. The card is ramping up randomly VERY LOUDLY during games, then ramps down, then way up again. Crossing my fingers and hoping that unblocking the back of the card fixes that or else I dunno what I can do about the ramping. PSU upgrade?

I'm going to just break off the piece of metal then. It's a propriety Alienware Aurora case. The card is ramping up randomly VERY LOUDLY during games, then ramps down, then way up again. Crossing my fingers and hoping that unblocking the back of the card fixes that or else I dunno what I can do about the ramping. PSU upgrade?
What PSU do you have? You can also set a custom fan speed that is high enough to cool constantly but not painful on the ears.

FWIW, since I have the same card, I don't have any dramatic ramping (without any customization). It goes up gradually. I'd suspect airflow / temps rather than PSU related.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Still think I’m goig to hold off till the next series as I reckon RT will be better optimised by then.

I think upgrading to 16GB of ram is a bigger upgrade for me right now! Is the performance difference of going from 8GB-16GB worth it these days?

Still think I’m goig to hold off till the next series as I reckon RT will be better optimised by then.

I think upgrading to 16GB of ram is a bigger upgrade for me right now! Is the performance difference of going from 8GB-16GB worth it these days?
16GB should be standard now. Especially if you have 2+ monitors. Chrome itself can take up to 3GB of RAM just with Twitch running.

Did they give you an ETA with that?
No, but this was posted in there forums. "Step-Up wait-times for the EVGA GeForce RTX 20 Series Graphics Cards are expected to be significantly longer than our average Step-Up processing times. Depending upon the total number of Step-Ups requested, and your place in the Step-Up queue, completion of the Step-Ups may take several months of remaining in queue." So it could be a long wait.

Can someone talk me down from a ledge?

I'm thinking about trying a 2080 Ti with a Thunderbolt 3 external GPU enclosure. I'd be using it with a desktop PC b/c I have a tiny SFF setup to a 4K display and I don't have it in me to rebuild (right now) with a PC enclosure that'll fit this thing (assuming it ever arrives).

My understanding is that the performance penalty isn't as bad with external displays as it is with notebook displays.

My other gaming setup is 3440x1440 .. can put the new card there but honestly it's not where it's needed. I could also just be the guinea pig, and yes I know this is ludicrous from at least 2 angles.

Edit: Hmm, reading 20% performance drop.. was thinking that was for internal displays but looks like that's external.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Mighty Jagrafess
plagiarize

What did you end up getting in Shadow of Tomb Raider? My performance was off of an OC that I applied beyond the scanner. +160/+6000.

edit - Also new Game Ready Driver out for Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Horizon 4, and others

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/138338
I haven't pushed it beyond the scanner yet. Averaged 56 if I remember right. Definitely shy of your 61. Horizon running stupidly well.

Like, if all I've done is build a Horizon 4 machine... I'm completely happy.

Amazon finally gave me a delivery estimate. Ordered within maybe 60 seconds of it showing up on Amazon, and it's not expected to be delivered until October 17-18. Definitely not going to bother with Amazon for pre-orders ever again.

Yep this is what I think also, unless AMD puts out something competitive to the RTX2080/2080ti next year.
Yeah. I think AMD will reach 2080 performance (which is basically 1080ti performance) or even a bit more on their high end. But without DLSS, which will put the Nvidia cards ahead again.

I hope that AMD will put the preassure on Nvidia, but at this point, I doubt it. Prove me wrong, AMD. Please.

I think early 2020, but that's assuming AMD/Intel have no answer for the "high end."

Also, my 2080 Ti FE preorder has switched to "processing."
AMD / Intel still doesn’t have an answer for 1080ti, but Nvidia still release the 2080ti. All AMD / Intel does is to help keep Nvidia prices down with a comparable product. It’s more like when a faster product is ready Nvidia will release to get enthusiasts to upgrade. So, 2019 is not out of the question for a 2180ti.