NVIDIA RTX 20 Series Reviews

really appreciate the info

Does the screen have any kind of banding?

What's it like using it on a day to day basis? Is switching from HDR games back to a regular desktop a pain(do you have to switch settings?), or is that largely no longer a problem

Have most games been HDR compliant lately?

Is there a reason why you don't like HDR 144hz 4:2:2? Is it that bad while using on desktop?

What is regular 4k desktop usage like? Highest I have is 1440p, is it that much better?

I'm 70/30 comp fps vs regular gaming, so I'd want the highest FPS possible. Do you think this monitor is overkill for that?
I haven't noticed much banding on mine. You can run in HDR 24/7 for regular desktop usage if you want, there's a SDR brightness slider in Windows now.

And yeah running at 144hz 4k, the chroma subsampling is definitely noticeable on the desktop.

Most of the recent AAA games have HDR .

People with the FE 2080 Ti. What color is the lighting? Can you change it to other colors?

I like to change my color scene often. If I can’t do the with the FE, I might have to cancel my order.

People with the FE 2080 Ti. What color is the lighting? Can you change it to other colors?

I like to change my color scene often. If I can’t do the with the FE, I might have to cancel my order.
Nvidia has color changing disabled on the FE. Default green although someone got a broken unit that did red. Modding the card sounds like a beast. You’ll want EVGA or something.

Question for you guys:

Do we know if DLSS is usable outside of 4K panels? Would I be able to use it on my 3440x1440p ultra wide monitor and have it perform as though it were running at half rez? (1720x720 I guess?)
Based on the Hardware Unboxed video, DLSS works with a minimum res of 1440p and it renders at 1080p reconstructed to 1440p. Given the nature of the AI training will it even work with ultrawide if not trained specifically for it?

Based on the Hardware Unboxed video, DLSS works with a minimum res of 1440p and it renders at 1080p reconstructed to 1440p. Given the nature of the AI training will it even work with ultrawide if not trained specifically for it?
This is incorrect. DLSS works at half the resolution, so for a 3440x1440 image that would be around 2432x1018, so a bit over 1080p in pixel count still. It's not 'fixed' at a minimum 1440p, that's just where the math works out based on a 4k image.

This is incorrect. DLSS works at half the resolution, so for a 3440x1440 image that would be around 2432x1018, so a bit over 1080p in pixel count still. It's not 'fixed' at a minimum 1440p, that's just where the math works out based on a 4k image.
Where did I mention 4k? Nowhere. I meant 1440p output is the minimum according to Nvidia and in the HU video they said it was rendered at 1080p (likely a bit lower if it's truly half pixel count) and reconstructed to 1440p (again output). My question was regarding ultrawide, does it require specific training for that aspect ratio or will it simply work with the same training data from the most popular 16:9? You seem to take it for granted UW is going to work, but is there any info that shows it doesn't need extra training? Cause if that's the case it's going to be a repeat of poor support due to it being niche.

Seriously, i don't undertand how 4K TAA looks worse than 4K DLSS in FFXV, DLSS isn't native 4K image quality, it's literally impossible.
TAA is also trying to fill in information that isn’t on screen (even at 4K) with a temporal effect. DLSS is using “known” information (that isn’t even on screen, yet it is known through training) to do the same in a much more complex algorithmic way.

Yes, you can derive information from surrounding pixels algorithmically. It doesn’t even need an “AI” but AI will get you better results.

So, I upgraded my PSU but my PC is still getting quite loud with the RTX 2080. This is my first non-blower card, and my PC is definitely getting quite warm. Ambient temperatures are hitting the 70 c's.

So, I upgraded my PSU but my PC is still getting quite loud with the RTX 2080. This is my first non-blower card, and my PC is definitely getting quite warm. Ambient temperatures are hitting the 70 c's.
What case do you have?
Blowers are great at exiting the heat from the gpu to outside of the case. Open air coolers just throw it around in the case so you need good airflow in there.

Ambient on the mobo!? Are the exit vents on your case blocked?

42C ambient is very hot. I think you must mean GPU temp is 70C. Under the most extreme load my 2080XC Ultra is getting to 75C (during VR, FWIW). Benchmarks for 20+ minutes equal 72C max. Any normal / traditional game hits mid-60C.

Seriously, i don't undertand how 4K TAA looks worse than 4K DLSS in FFXV, DLSS isn't native 4K image quality, it's literally impossible.
No, it's not "literally impossible". If the AA method of DLSS is superior to TAA it's quite possible to end up with better image quality. On one hand you have better aliasing, on the other hand you have the crisper image of native 4k. Except TAA adds significant blurring, which greatly reduces the native advantage.

What case do you have?
Blowers are great at exiting the heat from the gpu to outside of the case. Open air coolers just throw it around in the case so you need good airflow in there.
It's an Alienware Aurora R6 in which I upgraded the GPU from a 1070 to a 2080 and replaced the PSU with an EVGA 750 G2.
Ambient on the mobo!? Are the exit vents on your case blocked?

42C ambient is very hot. I think you must mean GPU temp is 70C. Under the most extreme load my 2080XC Ultra is getting to 75C (during VR, FWIW). Benchmarks for 20+ minutes equal 72C max. Any normal / traditional game hits mid-60C.
I believe my GPU is actually sitting around 65 under load. I'm using the Alienware Thermal program to see my temps. These are my idle temps without a game running:

Last edited:
It's an Alienware Aurora R6 in which I upgraded the GPU from a 1070 to a 2080 and replaced the PSU with an EVGA 750 G2.

I believe my GPU is actually sitting around 65 under load. I'm using the Alienware Thermal program to see my temps. These are my idle temps without a game running:

Check that your rear exhaust fan is actually facing an exhaust direction.

I thought this video was interesting. Compared the launch GTX 1080 TI driver to the current driver and even throws a 2080 TI in the mix.

1080 ti a decent bump in performance from launch until now with current drivers.

I thought this video was interesting. Compared the launch GTX 1080 TI driver to the current driver and even throws a 2080 TI in the mix.

1080 ti a decent bump in performance from launch until now with current drivers.
Interesting but I wonder about some of those results. 1440p ultra 1080Ti pulling 105avg in Kingdom Come Deliverance? Granted, I'm playing at 3440x1440 (same CPU&GPU as in the test), but even at much lower than ultra settings I'm really struggling to reach 60fps average in the wilderness, less than that in any crowded place and even 30fps is a struggle during night + rain. 1% minimum at 79fps, that's crazy..

I wouldn't trust those numbers on that application. I did a quick search and as of late last year they had CPU temp listed as ambient and vice versa, and there might be other issues.

Your CPU getting up to 70C makes much more sense, but is still a bit hot.

Oh, good. That makes sense, as my CPU cooler is stock. Is there a better thermal and auto fan control program to use?
If you're talking about an auto fan control program for your CPU, the best tend to be in the BIOS. Maybe Alienware locks down the BIOS and it's not available for you, but that's usually the best place. You can usually set graphs to dictate at what temperature your CPU fan goes higher. You can set it to whatever balance you want (in terms of cooling vs noise).

Oh, good. That makes sense, as my CPU cooler is stock. Is there a better thermal and auto fan control program to use?
For purely monitoring purposes, I like CPUID HWMonitor.

For onscreen monitoring I suggest MSI Afterburner.

Is an 8700k worth getting now to pair with a 2080 or should I wait for the 8700k replacement?
I'm on a i5-6600K at 4.3 with my 2080 and I've seen a big difference in a ton of games. :P

Is an 8700k worth getting now to pair with a 2080 or should I wait for the 8700k replacement?
What's your res and monitor refresh rate

At 1080p or some titles at 1440p then yeah you might want a cpu upgrade at 120+ hz

At 4k you're gonna be gpu bound 100% of the time so you'll be fine

If you're on a 1080p or 1440p screen at 60hz then buying a 2080 is kinda a pointless buy

Just cancelled my Gigabyte pre-order and walked into Scan and bought one of these. Holy shit the thing is a beast in every way. Killing everything at 4k/60. Possibly the worst software outside of Gigabyte (my last 3 cards have been GB) but like always use it to change the colours and never use it again (how the hell do I change the colour?!)
First Palit card and the styling seems pretty divisive but it's easily the prettiest GPU I've owned. Very happy.
Pulled the trigger on the Palit 2080ti as well. Holy shit this card looks so much better than in the pictures. When I ordered I thought I'm gonna get an ugly piss yellow card but it looks more like gold/bronze. Did you find out how to change the color of the LEDs?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider in 4k60 HDR is a such a treat, it looks gorgeous. No problem getting a stable 60 with an OC and some settings turned down.
FFXV on the other hand I'm sadly CPU limited even at 4k. I get a lot of spikes with my i7-4770k and 100% utilization. Probably going to wait for DLSS until I play more of it.

Speaking of eyecandy, Batman Arkham Knight is on sale right now on the steam store. It's probably the best looking PC game right after AC Origins.

Pulled the trigger on the Palit 2080ti as well. Holy shit this card looks so much better than in the pictures. When I ordered I thought I'm gonna get an ugly piss yellow card but it looks more like gold/bronze. Did you find out how to change the color of the LEDs?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider in 4k60 HDR is a such a treat, it looks gorgeous. No problem getting a stable 60 with an OC and some settings turned down.
FFXV on the other hand I'm sadly CPU limited even at 4k. I get a lot of spikes with my i7-4770k and 100% utilization. Probably going to wait for DLSS until I play more of it.

Speaking of eyecandy, Batman Arkham Knight is on sale right now on the steam store. It's probably the best looking PC game right after AC Origins.
Yeah looks so much better irl, and not a cluster fuck of fans like my last two. Still green!!(!) I have no idea and when I Googled on Friday there was nothing but there still aren't many out in the wild I guess. It's not a problem short term but my case is black, and my lighting is white, and sudden green keeps catching my eye lol.
Yet to try FF15, I moved it over to an ancient HDD months ago for storage and it'll take some juggling to get it back onto SSD. and I just can't be arsed. Must stop bumping giant SSD down wishlist.
Played the shit out of AK at release even with all it's problems. Awesome game. 980ti had just released and I felt like a king reading about all the problems people were having. That RPS article about the intro had me lol.
Very pleased with my purchase, only gripe is the garbage software (does it look like things are greyed out to you? It might just be awful colour scheme and that stupid spaceship design where everything looks like it might be a button) but the hardware is phenomenal and I can't wait to see what devs can get out of it.

Installed my RTX 2080 a few days ago and at 4k over HDMI , I am getting sparkles all over the screen.

So I ordered brand new high speed HDMI cables , and… HDMI out of my RTX2080 still showing sparkles. I tried all 3 new cables from Amazon, same issue. I tried 4 different HDMI ports on my main PC/tv, sparkles on each one. I tried the other 4k tv across the house (what fun it was lugging my pc over to it), same issue.

I plugged in my old GTX1080 back into my pc, getting a 4k60 signal over HDMI no issue.

I think the HDMI port on my RTX2080 is defective.

Installed my RTX 2080 a few days ago and at 4k over HDMI , I am getting sparkles all over the screen.

So I ordered brand new high speed HDMI cables , and… HDMI out of my RTX2080 still showing sparkles. I tried all 3 new cables from Amazon, same issue. I tried 4 different HDMI ports on my main PC/tv, sparkles on each one. I tried the other 4k tv across the house (what fun it was lugging my pc over to it), same issue.

I plugged in my old GTX1080 back into my pc, getting a 4k60 signal over HDMI no issue.

I think the HDMI port on my RTX2080 is defective.
There's a new standard for HDMI cables aside from "high speed". Who knows it's the issue, but there were enough dodgy cables out there that they created a certification program.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/premiumcable/faq.aspx

When Oppo's 203 UHD player came out, it had the dashboard running [email protected] There were lots of people on AVS that could play movies [email protected] but the dashboard was a mess. Some of them had $150-200 HDMI cables.

These cables don't have to be expensive.. Monoprice has certified cables for cheap. Just know that their non-slim ones are a bit stiff. Cables around 6' are the sweet spot, with people beginning to have more difficulty with both longer and shorter runs.

Edit: I get that the old card worked, but it's possible you're now pushing a signal that's using higher bandwidth.

Last edited:
My entire home theater system is comprised of these monoprice cables which I believe these are the ones Lakeside is talking about:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Mostly 6 foot cables but my PC cable is 10 feet and that works fine. Definitely a little stiff but they are bendable enough.
Yeah and to be clear, any length certified cable should be good, but length variation seriously affects the chances of older cables working properly.

I want a 2080Ti but no way am I paying Founder's Edition prices. I'll wait for them to become more widely available for the standard $1k price before I buy.

My 2080ti observations on a sandy bridge rig: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ful-graphics-card.158165/page-10#post-2837425

In short, if you buy, this make sure you have the fastest CPU to feed it. A 8700k or upcoming 9900k are a must if you want to take full advantage.
I'm on 2600k but with a 970 and am always GPU bound right now. Games like battlefield 1 my CPU doesn't even get up above 55%. Thanks for testing it with sandy bridge. Seems like a lot of those games you got a big boost over the 980ti as well.

I'm on 2600k but with a 970 and am always GPU bound right now. Games like battlefield 1 my CPU doesn't even get up above 55%. Thanks for testing it with sandy bridge. Seems like a lot of those games you got a big boost over the 980ti as well.
Yeah they did get a boost over the 980ti but I'd say the 980ti/2600k is probably a decently balanced combo. When you add something overly powerful like a 1080ti or worse, 2080ti you're just buying a race car and commuting with it.

Does this mean Nvidia will stop supporting the 10 series now the 20 is out.
Naw. They still offer drivers for 700 series cards. Nvidia is actually really good with legacy support.

I thought the video was interesting because the 1080 ti had a decent boost over the last year with driver support. Perhaps the 2080/2080 Ti will get the same bump after a year of drivers.

]

Its pretty disingenuous to benchmark a bunch of games that came out well after the baseline driver being used for reference

Last edited:
It appears that the blower 2080Ti are going to be the first ones to be $1k. I have a blower Asus 1080Ti right now and it doesn't overclock at all. That said, I didn't spend much (comparatively) for it. I'd rather save a couple of hundred and get a card that doesn't overclock than spend another $200+. It's not worth it to me.

5820k @ 4.3GHz is still chugging along. :)

I installed Assassin's Creed Unity just to see how it'd do with my 2080Ti. Everything maxed at 4k (Ultra High) and using MFAA (haven't heard that in a while), I'm sitting around 45-50fps during gameplay, and it dips to 30s in cutscenes lol. Ubi was really on one with this game 4 years ago. There's TONS of detail in the game, but it does have some of that early gen jankyness. Regardless, I thought it was wild that a 2080Ti was getting mid 40s here, albeit at 4k. I can only imagine the struggle trying to play this at the high end around release, or even after, once they addressed the glitches and everything else.

Here's a shot in the past that I found on the old site, Assassin's Creed Unity Performance thread

Ok so I played up until it said I couldn't anymore...needed to finish installing.

My setup -

4930k @ 4.3ghz
16GB RAM
Win 8.1
3x GTX Titan Blacks
ROG Swift Gysnc monitor - 2560x1440
Samsung EVO SSD - game installed here
344.65 AC Unity Game Ready Driver

So first thing I did was crank everything to the Ultra High. I changed Refresh Rate to 144hz. Shadow Quality PCSS. AO HBAO+. MSAA-8x. 2560x1440 w/ Gsync enabled.

So performance -- I was in the 40fps range. The clocks on card 1 were different than the clocks on cards 2/3. 2 and 3 were the same. My GPU usage was pretty low...in the 70s.
The game used 6GB VRAM. A couple times it exceeded that.

Despite all of that it was smooth. But that is probably Gsync going to work. I tried to restart and change AA to TXAA but apparently I can't start over? I can only continue and it's at a point where I have to wait for install to finish.

So yeah...my system is an outlier and I realize that. There could also be something with the engine not liking Gysnc who knows. I haven't been able to try due to the issues above. Haven't even got a chance to see how it performs in crowds. So those are my very early Tri-SLI impressions.

For reference I played Far Cry 3 last weekend completely maxed and my GPUs were in the 85+ range. I realize it's an older game, but still wanted to test and see how some UBI titles handled 3 GPUs.

Edit - I must've needed a restart of the game after messing with settings, as I've got everything still at Highest, but MSAA @ 2x (with MFAA) and I'm much closer to 60 or even above now. Game still looks great.

Last edited:
My 2080ti observations on a sandy bridge rig: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ful-graphics-card.158165/page-10#post-2837425

In short, if you buy, this make sure you have the fastest CPU to feed it. A 8700k or upcoming 9900k are a must if you want to take full advantage.
Color me not shocked at all, when the 2600k was already holding back a 1080 Ti.
Does this mean Nvidia will stop supporting the 10 series now the 20 is out.
Nvidia just announced the end of support for Fermi in April of this year. Fermi is the 400/500 series by the way.

I'd say the 10 series has a while.