Oculus annouces the Oculus Quest, All in One VR, Spring 2019, $399

Sounds like they're porting core Rift games like Robo Recall. Now that both the headset and controllers are 6dof there's no reason they can't do others as long as it can run on the hardware. The reason Go and Daydream have more limited experiences is specifically because they're either 3dof headsets or only have simple 3dof controllers if not both.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but I expect Robo Recall and The Climb to have massive graphical cutbacks. Those games are difficult to run well on PC!

And speaking from personal experience, things like lighting and image quality have a massive effect on my overall sense of presence in VR. It's a much bigger deal than when you play a game on PC vs console. Much less PC vs Switch, which is what I suspect the hardware to be similar to.

SuperHot VR
The Climb
Moss
Robo Recall
Tennis
Star Wars Vader Immortal (3-part series, seems for now exclusive to Oculus Quest)

These are the confirmed games amongs the 50+ strong launch lineup.

The $399 price point for what you're getting here is downright Amazing.
Buying one for myself and one for my father.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I expect Robo Recall and The Climb to have massive graphical cutbacks. Those games are difficult to run well on PC!

And speaking from personal experience, things like lighting and image quality have a massive effect on my overall sense of presence in VR. It's a much bigger deal than when you play a game on PC vs console. Much less PC vs Switch, which is what I suspect the hardware to be similar to.
I don’t think they’ll be as bad as you might expect. They are porting to a fixed hardware and a lower refresh target (72hz). Plus it will help a bit that the resolution base is higher than the Rift (in terms of how good the overall image looks even with asset changes).

Oh there will definitely be graphical cutbacks and in some cases probably will affect the experience pretty negatively. But at least the core gameplay can be there when it was previously impossible to do for the Go or Daydream without severely compromising it.

I was hoping this would be a hybrid device that could be used on its own and connected to a PC. I'm still interested in it though depending on which titles are ported over. Sports games in VR like Thrill of the Fight are some of the most immersive experiences you'll ever have in a game, so hopefully some of those games can be ported over.

I really want to know the specs. Probably Snapdragon 845 I'm guessing.

Disappointing. The mobile-tier VR experiences are broadly gimmicks and Granny traps, it's good they're adding touch controllers to the package but I think the real ground to cover is in the high end. I love VR, but I feel like any headset which isn't addressing the core issues with VR immersion is a wasted endeavour.
PC based VR isn't selling well enough to go fully mainstream. This is what VR needs to remain alive.
People turning up their noses at this aren't seeing the big picture at all.

Sounds interesting. Will this have any kind of focal adjustment wheel? That's one thing that keeps me away from most VR headsets. Samsung VR has it and it's the only one I can comfortably use without extra stuff like glasses.

What did they do differently?
The edges of your vision become 'transparent' revealing a holodeck grid room that does not move in space, which allows your game view to move freely, while the edges of your vision have a stationary room to 'anchor' to. I can't play Pavlov long enough to even change the settings, but I can play Serious Sam 1/2 + Talos Principle for *hours* and the only negative effects are just my eyes get tired of the bright screen. Works absolutely wonderfully and you don't even really notice it unless you're looking for it. I'm sure more advanced iterations can make it even more unnoticable while still keeping the anti-nausea effects.

EDIT: The peripheral-transparency is only in effect when moving -- when standing still your entire field of view is rendered normally.

I think this is what VR needs to be mainstream.
I think to reach true mainstream status, we need one of two things. Standalone VR will either have to be able to wirelessly utilize the power of your PC when in proximity or tricks like foveated rendering need to happen to increase performance/visual fidelity. At some point in the future I see the Oculus standalone and PC versions merging into a single product.

It's worth noting that Oculus indicated today that there are basically three product lines now: Go, Quest, and Rift. So in the future, we could get a Go 2 (that might look close to what the Quest is today), etc.

Looking forward to what the Rift 2 might look like.

I still think making these without a connectable tether of some kind to leverage your PC's power/use it as a desktop VR device as well is foolish. That positional data can surely be captured and transmitted and it adds enormous value to the device.
I agree, that is a wasted opportunity in my opinion. They could have allowed for the Quest to connect to a PC and also take advantage of the Rift Library.

The edges of your vision become 'transparent' revealing a holodeck grid room that does not move in space, which allows your game view to move freely, while the edges of your vision have a stationary room to 'anchor' to. I can't play Pavlov long enough to even change the settings, but I can play Serious Sam 1/2 + Talos Principle for *hours* and the only negative effects are just my eyes get tired of the bright screen. Works absolutely wonderfully and you don't even really notice it unless you're looking for it. I'm sure more advanced iterations can make it even more unnoticable while still keeping the anti-nausea effects.

EDIT: The peripheral-transparency is only in effect when moving -- when standing still your entire field of view is rendered normally.
Ah. Lots of games have that as an option. That said, Croteam gives the user an impressive amount of control over comfort options that I haven't seen other devs implement.

Can you list some notable ones? I know there's a thread but I've tried asking in the past with no success...
Pretty sure any Oculus exclusive with smooth locomotion has it as an option. Skyrim and Fallout 4 VR do. Onward. Honestly it's easier to name the ones that don't because it's a pretty big oversight. Were there any games in particular you were interested in but weren't sure if they had it? I can probably find out if they do or not.

Pavlov was number 1, but I haven't tried a lot lately (been waiting on wireless).

Did we get any other Battle Royale games than Stand Out? I loved that game but was kinda, uh, beta, pretty much like Art of Fight!

Interested but not expecting much don't think the technology is there yet for a outstanding wireless VR experience at least to the level of what I want. Even with a beefy PC Oculus Rift and Vive are not up to snuff.

Disappointing. The mobile-tier VR experiences are broadly gimmicks and Granny traps, it's good they're adding touch controllers to the package but I think the real ground to cover is in the high end. I love VR, but I feel like any headset which isn't addressing the core issues with VR immersion is a wasted endeavour.
There's a humongous gap in price, functionality and user-friendliness between mobile VR and complete high-end tethered VR solutions.

Quest bridges that gap by providing solutions to problems that exist in the current product offerings.

But I'm not surprised that some people aren't seeing the logic. People even mocked Apple for introducing the iPad between the iPhone and Macbook.

Pavlov was number 1, but I haven't tried a lot lately (been waiting on wireless).

Did we get any other Battle Royale games than Stand Out? I loved that game but was kinda, uh, beta, pretty much like Art of Fight!
I'd have to double check in game if Pavlov ever added vignette options but I know it's on the dev's radar.

As for BR games, Population: ONE is the one to keep an eye on at the moment. It's from the Smashbox Arena devs.

Rec Room also added a BR mode and, funny enough, I know the BR mode for Pavlov has been in development for a while now.

Good shit. Like everybody else I'm cautious about the rendering power of this thing but if it can run Robot recall well, that's an awesome deal for the price. And a step in the good direction for VR in general.

However I'm still waiting for a Rift 2.0 to upgrade, I'm sure it will be worth it when it'll come out.

Did you guys see the Lone Echo 2 announcement ? That's huge, first one was incredibly immersive.

I imagine it has something like what's in the latest samsung note phone or the nvidia shield chip as both seem excellent for gaming.

Oh there will definitely be graphical cutbacks and in some cases probably will affect the experience pretty negatively. But at least the core gameplay can be there when it was previously impossible to do for the Go or Daydream without severely compromising it.
But, like, this is VR, where you want to feel like you're in another world. That means visuals! I don't think too many people are playing Robo Recall for the gameplay? It's a good game, but there are better shooters.

And furthermore... are they going to redo all the assets? Doom on the Switch is great, but to get there, the developers had to cut the framerate in half (and then some), and lower the rendering resolution to ~ 540p, give or take depending on the scene. And that was a game that targeted the PS4, whereas this one originally targeted only PC.

The more I think about this, the more I don't understand how this is going to work at all. Maybe someone with a better understanding of graphics technologies does? Am I wrong to be thinking that this will have hardware capabilities more or less in line with the Switch?

I wonder what other games are among the 50 titles. SuperHot VR and Beat Saber, to name a couple, seem like they would be a much better fit. The latter is probably not happening (and wouldn't be of too much use without modding), but SuperHot was largely Oculus-funded.

Since it hasn't been posted yet:

YAAS! One of my games of the year that year.

But, like, this is VR, where you want to feel like you're in another world. That means visuals! I don't think too many people are playing Robo Recall for the gameplay? It's a good game, but there are better shooters.

And furthermore... are they going to redo all the assets? Doom on the Switch is great, but to get there, the developers had to cut the framerate in half (and then some), and lower the rendering resolution to ~ 540p, give or take depending on the scene. And that was a game that targeted the PS4, whereas this one originally targeted only PC.

The more I think about this, the more I don't understand how this is going to work at all. Maybe someone with a better understanding of graphics technologies does? Am I wrong to be thinking that this will have hardware capabilities more or less in line with the Switch?

I wonder what other games are among the 50 titles. SuperHot VR and Beat Saber, to name a couple, seem like they would be a much better fit. The latter is probably not happening (and wouldn't be of too much use without modding), but SuperHot was largely Oculus-funded.
Visuals can be a big part yeah, but it's not like VR has been home to a lot of visual blockbusters. Most people I've heard here saying Robo Recall was one of their favorite VR games were talking about the gameplay, not the visuals. Skyrim VR isn't exactly a looker but people love that. The visual hit Fallout 4 takes in VR is huge, but I still enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. There is a downgrading floor where it will start to look like a mess (especially for games with realistic art direction), and I too wonder just how good this could look on mobile hardware, but mobile hardware has come a long way. Remember the Switch can run Wolfenstein 2 and DOOM 2016 (and apparently DOOM: Eternal). Go and Daydream games are surprisingly good looking despite their limitations. I think ultimately, though the visual hit on Quest will be pretty big for people used to PCVR headsets, the people this is targeted towards won't be bothered.

Last edited:
I think everyone who played 'Virtual Virtual Reality' (game) on Oculus Go immediately got hyped for Oculus Santa Cruz (now Oculus Quest), just see the ResetEra thread. It's surprisingly good quality.
And the Oculus Go is 60hz for most experiences, 3DOF, no hand-presence & rendering capabilities a couple of years behind Oculus Quest which in contrast will have 72hz default + higher res screen + 6DOF + hand-tracking (and better audio from what they tell us).