Oculus annouces the Oculus Quest, All in One VR, Spring 2019, $399

PC based VR isn't selling well enough to go fully mainstream. This is what VR needs to remain alive.
People turning up their noses at this aren't seeing the big picture at all.
Part of the issue is that current PC VR is too cumbersome. To have proper roomscale with Oculus I have to connect 3 cameras to my PC and then have another cable running there for the headset. That's 4 freaking cables i have to thread around the room.

Then on top of that resolution is lowish so there is still substantial screen door effect, especially if you are reading text or doing non gaming stuff (like that virtual desktop scenario). Couple that with a fairly narrow field of view and you have an answer why PC based VR is not taking of as much.

What does "six degrees of freedom" mean?
It means that it tracks translational movements.

If you have used other mobile headsets the majority of them are 3 DoF and that mean it is just tracking your head/neck movements so you can only interact with the world by looking around, but you can't move. (Only Top 3 in Pic)

Oculus Rift & Vive are 6 DoF and those track how the headset moves through space so that gives you the ability to lean/dodge and even walk through a physical space. (All movements possible in pic)

These all in one sets should be made compatible with the PC versions to drive better experiences...
Since the Oculus Connect has onboard processing of movement then it would be possible to only stream the gameplay video from the PC to the headset (with the headset streaming the light-weight input data to the PC).
You will need a good antenna + portable battery (i.e. Vive TP Cast).

Last edited:
releasing a low fov vr headset in 2019 LOL
Gonna have enough issues running games on a mobile chip and keeping image quality acceptable. A person could just as easily say that no new HMDs should be released that are tethered. Whether the display houses the APU, or whether it communicates wirelessly to a PC, wires are a massive presence destroyer and have no place beyond 1st gen headsets.

I don't actually believe this, though. Pick whatever priority you want. They're both super important.

Have they solved the motion sickness problem yet?
Depends what you mean. Will normal stationary content make you motion sick in this the way it might in a mobile headset? No.

Will doing loops in a space-ship or playing a VR rollercoaster make you motion sick? Quite possible.

And interpolate for all the degrees in between. Different people have different levels of sensitivity to artificial locomotion in VR and there's content for people at all levels.

The fact that Robo Recall and Moss are in the launch lineup is a good sign regarding power, yeah. I'm sure the cuts will be plenty noticeable in these games, but IMO if the hand tracking is even "pretty good" this could be a much more appealing VR gaming entry point than PSVR. And you can easily take it anywhere without the nightmare setup!
This is what I'm thinking. It's not really going to displace Rift for the sorts of people that would buy a Rift (i.e. PC gamers with good rigs), but it's an entry-level system for people who want a full-fledged VR gaming experience, which is more the PSVR market.

Gonna have enough issues running games on a mobile chip and keeping image quality acceptable. A person could just as easily say that no new HMDs should be released that are tethered. Whether the display houses the APU, or whether it communicates wirelessly to a PC, wires are a massive presence destroyer and have no place beyond 1st gen headsets.

I don't actually believe this, though. Pick whatever priority you want. They're both super important.
Not quite true for flight sims, racers or cockpit based VR. Other genres probably yeah. I would prefer more power(fov, resolution, fps) over mobility for this reason.

Hands on impressions:

Oculus Quest hands-on: Everything I've ever wanted in a VR headset
Color me impressed, and give me a way to buy one of these right now.
On the fit and use with glasses:

My first demo started out in a brightly-lit room with the all-too-familiar characters from Superhot on the walls. The headset I was handed felt exactly like a cross between an Oculus Rift and an Oculus Go. The outer material was fabric, with a plastic shell on the front and a nice padded section for your face. The side straps for Oculus Quest feel very familiar if you've ever used an Oculus headset before, with three adjustable straps and a flexible spring system so you can slide the headset on, kind of like a baseball cap.

I wear glasses and was perfectly comfortable wearing them while I was in the headset. There was enough space on either side of my frames, no light bleed, and the glass from the display was far enough away I didn't need to worry about my glasses pressing up against my eyes. Oculus has clearly continued to refine this part of the experience, and to be honest it makes the headset the most comfortable of the three Oculus makes by far.

On graphics:

Oculus claims the Quest headset offers "Rift quality" graphics, and that requires a bit of additional explanation. The games on Oculus Quest are very good, but the Oculus Rift is capable of delivering more visually impressive experiences thanks to the massive PC is connected to. That line feels a little fuzzy, and it's probably on purpose.

But until we have technical details to really see what the hardware under the hood is capable of, all I have is look and feel. And based on the last couple of hours, Oculus Quest really does feel like an Oculus Rift most of the time. The demos of Superhot and Dead & Buried I was treated to felt exactly like the Oculus Rift versions of these experiences. And while it's not the most graphically demanding thing you can do in VR, Superhot is a great demo experience because it exists on almost everything. The Oculus Quest version of the game feels a lot better than the PlayStation VR version of the game, for example, and that's kind of a big deal.

And really, that's the most important takeaway of Oculus Quest. It doesn't actually need to be exactly the same visual fidelity as Oculus Rift, because you can do so much more with it. The freedom of being untethered means developers will create experiences here that simply aren't possible on Rift, or anywhere else for that matter. And I will actually want to bring this headset with me places, to share with friends and family. I get all of that for $399? Yes. Yes, please.
More at link

https://www.windowscentral.com/oculus-quest-hands-everything-ive-ever-wanted

Holy shit.

If next gen isn't clearly moving towards vr I'm going pc.

EDIT: got worked up in my excitement - this isnt what i initially thought. but still exciting. and my original post still stands (despite not being really relevant to thread... oops)

Last edited:
man, i know its not (likely) feasible, but if pcars/dirt rally/assetto corsa comes out for this i'll lose my shit

"It doesn't actually need to be exactly the same visual fidelity as Oculus Rift, because you can do so much more with it. The freedom of being untethered means developers will create experiences here that simply aren't possible on Rift, or anywhere else for that matter. And I will actually want to bring this headset with me places, to share with friends and family. I get all of that for $399? Yes. Yes, please."

i love this quote

Speaking of PSVR, Sony might as well have PS5 support to beef up the visuals for PSVR2 whether or not it's wireless like the Quest.

As for the Quest, this is getting much closer to what I'm wanting in a VR headset but it's not quite there yet. I still want an even higher resolution, more power for better graphics, and much higher FOV before I jump on board. So I'm rooting for this thing to succeed so that the device I'm really wanting will still be made in 3-6 years.

But that doesn't mean I won't ever get it. I just won't buy it brand new. I may still pick it up down the line when it gets a little cheaper.

everybody i've shown off my Rift to stares and asks "...but why does it need to be hooked to your computer?"

so yeah, this direction is definitely necessary if joe six pack is going to throw down hundreds for a VR unit. personally though i'm cool until gen 3 or so

If the tracking is at least as good as the Vive, I'm in.

Mostly because the Wireless Vive adapter is $300 and this is only a hundred bucks more.

Yes.
Vive pricing is so stupid - ive lost all interest basically.

(Yes I know its business pricing, but they had me interested for a long while).

Speaking of PSVR, Sony might as well have PS5 support to beef up the visuals for PSVR2 whether or not it's wireless like the Quest.

As for the Quest, this is getting much closer to what I'm wanting in a VR headset but it's not quite there yet. I still want an even higher resolution, more power for better graphics, and much higher FOV before I jump on board. So I'm rooting for this thing to succeed so that the device I'm really wanting will still be made in 3-6 years.

But that doesn't mean I won't ever get it. I just won't buy it brand new. I may still pick it up down the line when it gets a little cheaper.
I would be okay if PSVR2 is wired. Helps keep the specs higher and you don't have to worry about battery life. It will still most likely need a PS console to run so being able to play anywhere isn't as good of selling point. It would be cool if it was but would rather they get the 6DoF as main focus

Will most likely get a Quest day 1. Have a PSVR already, was going to get a Go but think the Quest has sooner nice perks and will wait for that. Not to concerned if it's not as powerful , kinda like the Switch you give up some Power for the ability to play not wired up.

My two biggest concerns are around the battery. One how long the battery last (I would hope 2.5 hours normal use) and two it can be used while charging (read you were not supposed to use Go while charging ).

This so exciting, give it a few years and this tech will be ready for the market. The naysayers are the same ones who said digital games would never be a "thing" in consoles back in the 360 era or the ones who said the iphone would only be a toy for rich people. Tech evolves quickly and gets cheaper, I'm guessing an amazing headset will be consumer priced in 5 years or so. This headset is already a great price but I'm guessing it'll have plenty of downsides when compared to the wired computer powered one.

Here's a cool video of an arena-style game they had set up for multiple people: https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9j69tp/oculus_quest_arena_scale_multiplayer_shooter_demo/

Before people ask, I'm pretty sure the markers they have set up for the environment is more to line the physical boxes and stuff up with whatever cover the players are seeing in VR...you don't need markers for just walking around/room scale stuff. So obviously this isn't something you'd generally experience at home, but it's still neat to see a bunch of people running around with untethered VR headsets on.