Oculus annouces the Oculus Quest, All in One VR, Spring 2019, $399

This may have been answered already, but will Oculus Quest games also be available for purchase and use on the Oculus Rift? Or is this considered "next gen" in the sense that the libraries will be totally separate?

Wish this could be hooked up to the PC as well. Or at least release an updated Rift already.

It's apparently running off a snapdragon 835? I'm afraid the lack of power is really going to limit the amount of games this thing can run.

Did they say if you would have to re-buy rift games if they come to the quest?
The Rift version and Quest version are 2 seperate versions, but its possible that the developer will allow cross-buy for you to just buy 1 copy and access to both versions of the same title.

This is not mainstream VR. Mainstream VR will be 4K for 200 bucks or so 300 max. No device ever has been considered anywhere near the mainstream for 400 dollars let alone a VR device.
Looks like the goal post have shifted.

But, like, this is VR, where you want to feel like you're in another world. That means visuals!
I disagree with this, I think presence is much more important, and the fact that this is wireless will help immensely with that. For example SuperHot feels very immersive and the graphics in that are super simple.

This may have been answered already, but will Oculus Quest games also be available for purchase and use on the Oculus Rift? Or is this considered "next gen" in the sense that the libraries will be totally separate?
It will depend on the game but Zuckerberg said devs could easily compile any Quest game for Rift. No surprise since they have the same controls and PC still has more horsepower. Games that wouldn't work are those requiring arena scale. Other than that, it's up to devs/pubs if they want to make it Quest exclusive.

So Quest should reach an expanded audience and at the same time further bolster the RIft library. Quest is superior to Rift in terms of optics (as is Go) and immersive free movement, Rift still pushes the best graphics which only a desktop PC can provide.

It will depend on the game but Zuckerberg said devs could easily compile any Quest game for Rift. No surprise since they have the same controls and PC still has more horsepower. Games that wouldn't work are those requiring arena scale. Other than that, it's up to devs/pubs if they want to make it Quest exclusive.

So Quest should reach an expanded audience and at the same time further bolster the RIft library. Quest is superior to Rift in terms of optics (as is Go) and immersive free movement, Rift still pushes the best graphics which only a desktop PC can provide.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification!
If this does indeed result in a higher amount of quality titles coming to Rift then maybe I'll finally have a reason to set mine back up again

Ok I am confused. What the difference between this and the HTC focus I think it’s called ? They both running soc and that thing is already out and failed . How this is any different

At this point I'm almost confident the eventual Oculus Rift 2 (PC) will feature the same Oculus Insight tracking system as the Quest. I'm assuming they have discrete chips for handling that tracking so they don't need to include an expensive Snapdragon (since the PC will take care of the game rendering).
This opens up for them including a streaming-antenna & a portable battery by default for wireless.
They highlighted at the start of the conference that wireless + form factor + hand presence was a must going forward in the VR space.

Ok I am confused. What the difference between this and the HTC focus I think it’s called ? They both running soc and that thing is already out and failed . How this is any different
HTC Focus does not have hand-presence. Only a single 3DOF waggle remote.
Also the Focus only has two forward-facing cameras and much smaller scope of tracking so likely less stable.
In regards to reaching consumers and ease of use, Oculus is much further ahead than the rest here (i.e. HTC Focus is not even available in the western world).

Last edited:
I tried two Quest experiences at OC5 today and was super impressed!

(Disclaimer, I own a rift, vive pre, and psvr and have worked on vive and oculus titles in the past)

1. Tennis Scramble
One player was in a tennis court themed play space that seemed about 15x15ft. The other player was in a living room themed play space that was slightly smaller.

You play tennis against each other in a colorful arena with targets that when hit change the ball (to a baseball, or larger ball) or net (taller net) or your racket (to a foam hand or golf club)

Very Wii sportsy but it worked tremendously well and was super fun. Head tracking was flawless, hand tracking during play was flawless and I could only break it by slowly moving the racket back behind my head or back. It never broke during play and I could do lunging backhands and forehands with ease.

Headset was sharp and crisp, felt like a slightly better oculus go, but the demo graphics were like a high end mobile vr game (lowish poly, blob shadows) Dev said the demo was made in Unreal 4.

2. Dead and Buried Arena

This was a huge surprise.

They had a large arena - like 40x20feet or larger with box obstacles in it. Felt like one of those speedball arenas at a paintball place. You played 3v3 sharing the same huge space in a Dead and Buried team shootout.

All headsets used the same room mapping data (a dev wouldn't verify if this tech would be in the SDK but it was so cool I hope it will be) so they synced up nicely and you could easily see the other players tracked well in space. A narrator started the game and his voice was a good chance to test spatialized audio through the head strap audio system and it worked great.

The game itself was standard dead and buried but without reloading mechanics. When you died, you became a ghost to your team so they could still see you, but you were invisible to the other team so you could walk to another cover point in the room and respawn there.

Hand and head tracking were again flawless, better than some of the location based experiences I've tried, and the game looked good but was a downgrade from the rift version (I havent played the gear / go version) with lower quality poly count, textures, and no dynamic shadows.

But I got so immersed in this shootout it didn't matter. It was seriously awesome and makes me want to be a kid again with some friends and Quests, map out a shared space in the yard or basement and have a vr shoot out. Kinda like a way better version of those crappy home laser tag sets back in the day.

Another cool thing was a cameraman walking through the play space with an iPad- it was connected to the same server and play space geometry system as the Quests and was streaming live camera and vr feeds from its position - super cool and awesome to see Oculus building tech that can get other observers in on the action.

TLDR - I came away super impressed, I want a quest, I want to port my game to quest, and VR still rules.

Here's a cool video of an arena-style game they had set up for multiple people: https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9j69tp/oculus_quest_arena_scale_multiplayer_shooter_demo/

Before people ask, I'm pretty sure the markers they have set up for the environment is more to line the physical boxes and stuff up with whatever cover the players are seeing in VR...you don't need markers for just walking around/room scale stuff. So obviously this isn't something you'd generally experience at home, but it's still neat to see a bunch of people running around with untethered VR headsets on.
I was told the tape on the floor and boxes was used to give identifiable features to an otherwise solid black floor and boxes. Basically, it needs some kind of variation in the environment to scan well, so the tape was a good solution for the large warehouse style play space.

They weren't markers like QR codes used in past tracking systems, and normal rooms with closer walls, furniture, and other normal variations in color, texture, and depth should work fine. I didn't ask about outdoor areas or other large spaces.

Having been at many conferences where shiny floors destroy tracking on rift and vive, I get them going all out to make sure this experimental setup worked - and it worked fantastically!

I tried two Quest experiences at OC5 today and was super impressed!

(Disclaimer, I own a rift, vive pre, and psvr and have worked on vive and oculus titles in the past)

1. Tennis Scramble
One player was in a tennis court themed play space that seemed about 15x15ft. The other player was in a living room themed play space that was slightly smaller.

You play tennis against each other in a colorful arena with targets that when hit change the ball (to a baseball, or larger ball) or net (taller net) or your racket (to a foam hand or golf club)

Very Wii sportsy but it worked tremendously well and was super fun. Head tracking was flawless, hand tracking during play was flawless and I could only break it by slowly moving the racket back behind my head or back. It never broke during play and I could do lunging backhands and forehands with ease.

Headset was sharp and crisp, felt like a slightly better oculus go, but the demo graphics were like a high end mobile vr game (lowish poly, blob shadows) Dev said the demo was made in Unreal 4.

2. Dead and Buried Arena

This was a huge surprise.

They had a large arena - like 40x20feet or larger with box obstacles in it. Felt like one of those speedball arenas at a paintball place. You played 3v3 sharing the same huge space in a Dead and Buried team shootout.

All headsets used the same room mapping data (a dev wouldn't verify if this tech would be in the SDK but it was so cool I hope it will be) so they synced up nicely and you could easily see the other players tracked well in space. A narrator started the game and his voice was a good chance to test spatialized audio through the head strap audio system and it worked great.

The game itself was standard dead and buried but without reloading mechanics. When you died, you became a ghost to your team so they could still see you, but you were invisible to the other team so you could walk to another cover point in the room and respawn there.

Hand and head tracking were again flawless, better than some of the location based experiences I've tried, and the game looked good but was a downgrade from the rift version (I havent played the gear / go version) with lower quality poly count, textures, and no dynamic shadows.

But I got so immersed in this shootout it didn't matter. It was seriously awesome and makes me want to be a kid again with some friends and Quests, map out a shared space in the yard or basement and have a vr shoot out. Kinda like a way better version of those crappy home laser tag sets back in the day.

Another cool thing was a cameraman walking through the play space with an iPad- it was connected to the same server and play space geometry system as the Quests and was streaming live camera and vr feeds from its position - super cool and awesome to see Oculus building tech that can get other observers in on the action.

TLDR - I came away super impressed, I want a quest, I want to port my game to quest, and VR still rules.
If you don't mind, what VR title did you developed?

Seems the Dead and Buried Arena impression really speaks about the potential for location based VR with the Oculus Quest. Mutiple VR headsets with large area tracking and no wires, WOW.

I hope there's Beat Saber on the Oculus Quest now.

If you don't mind, what VR title did you developed?

Seems the Dead and Buried Arena impression really speaks about the potential for location based VR with the Oculus Quest. Mutiple VR headsets with large area tracking and no wires, WOW.

I hope there's Beat Saber on the Oculus Quest now.
Yeah, it got me super excited for the location based / warehouse scale prospects with these headsets - especially interesting was that right next to this booth was Secrets of the Empire from The Void, where you have soooooo much more expensive tech going on for a tracked multiplayer location based experience (modified rifts, mocap cameras, leap motions, haptic vests, etc)

Beat saber would be great on Quest and an awesome way to demo it to others. I hope they port it!

On vr stuff, I was design lead on Gnomes and Goblins (preview) on steamVR and a designer on Wolves in the Walls with story studio. I'm working on a jumping flash inspired platformer called Roobound that I'd like to bring to quest someday!

This is what I've always wanted from a VR headset. If the software is good enough, plus the battery life is good, I might pick one up for my long haul flight next year.

Just out of curiosity, anyone have any notes on devs who either offered 1:1 or reduced pricing for Rift to Go games? Wondering if there's precedent for the possibility of Rift to Quest.

I know there's a porting process and there's work involved, but, I'm also not going to rebuy my library at full price. So, I'm much more likely to just wait until the next round of PC headsets.

(Yes, I also know cost of systems vs. cost of games; if I can afford a $400 unit I can rebuy, but....nah?)

Hopefully Tested is there. This is the type of question they're likely to ask.
They are definitely here - saw them go through the Void experience after I did!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Insight mostly refers to the software side of things, and I haven't heard anything about custom chips driving it. A dev mentioned that the tablet "camera" that the cameraman was using was running / utilizing Insight to track it's own position somehow and it looked like a normal ipad, which makes me think it's a software solution.

This is awesome but thats a really weird name. Thought they'd call it "Go Pro" or something along those lines without the copyright infringement, making 'Go' their mobile device name.

I really liked the idea of calling it Odyssey and gradually inching closer and closer to calling something The Oasis :P

I really wish they'd work on getting a wider FOV. I dont care about the resolution,I just dont like looking through scubba goggles.
They've already showed off their wider FOV prototype.

140 degrees. Prototype called " Oculus Half Dome" if you wanna look it up, has a bunch of other stuff like eye tracking and varifocal moving displays (allows focusing on close up objects)

The RoadToVR write-up is saying the panels are OLED. So even though they're the same resolution as Go, they're definitely not the same. Makes the 399.99 price look even better. Should be fantastic for media viewing too.

The Rift version and Quest version are 2 seperate versions, but its possible that the developer will allow cross-buy for you to just buy 1 copy and access to both versions of the same title.

Looks like the goal post have shifted.
Not at all. I have no idea how you go from 200 dollar device in PSVR selling the most and not even being mainstream by any stretch to this new device being mainstream for 400 dollars. Logic. Does not compute.

In 5 years when a 4K set is 200 bucks or 300 max for much better quality than today at 600 or so then and only then will anything be hitting the mainstream, which most people at the very LEAST would say is 8m sold or so.

I'm just not honestly sure how people are now equating a couple million units sold as being mainstream.

Carmack..., and Oculus actually cares about the future of VR.
The HTC focus only comes with 1 controller, a 3dof wand like daydream / oculus go, it has 2 cameras for tracking, and is bulkier. They also have a pretty strict guardian system and isn't geared up to support larger spaces or multiple rooms easily.

Quest has two 6dof controllers with buttons and analog sticks, and four cameras for a wider and better tracking solution, and at least from what we've seen, multi room tracking and larger play spaces out of the box.

But really the hand presence and control available with quest let's devs make rift or vive like interactions that are impossible on Vive focus.

Not at all. I have no idea how you go from 200 dollar device in PSVR selling the most and not even being mainstream by any stretch to this new device being mainstream for 400 dollars. Logic. Does not compute.
Oculus is taking a lesson from the Wii with Quest. It has weaker graphics, but it's appealing in ways that the mainstream might respond to more strongly than core gamers have responded to tethered VR.

All I know is that everyone, gamers/non-gamers alike, that I've demoed roomscale Vive to loves it and connects immediately, but hardly anyone can tolerate the requirements.

In 5 years when a 4K set is 200 bucks or 300 max for much better quality than today at 600 or so then and only then will anything be hitting the mainstream, which most people at the very LEAST would say is 8m sold or so.

I'm just not honestly sure how people are now equating a couple million units sold as being mainstream.
Because the PSVR proves that its not the high tech that people want. Its the accessibility and cheap price.

And now Oculus Quest essentially removed these road blocks: no wires, and cheap price (since you wont need to buy a PC/PS4/smartphone for it), no complicated setup

No offense but you make no sense.

In no way did I (or the statement by Zuckerberg I was referring to) imply that Rift games are easy to port to Quest. My post clearly says that Quest games can easily be recompiled and work instantly on Rift, because the Rift has more horsepower. Quest to Rift: easy and instant; Rift to Quest: doable but it takes effort.

Last edited:
Can someone more in the know answer 2 questions for me please.

In some other vr devices I’ve tried I actually didn’t even need to wear my glasses because I could adjust certain setting in the vr that made it watchable without them will this have something like that?

Also how is this going to be as a movie player?

Can someone more in the know answer 2 questions for me please.

In some other vr devices I’ve tried I actually didn’t even need to wear my glasses because I could adjust certain setting in the vr that made it watchable without them will this have something like that?

Also how is this going to be as a movie player?
To my knowledge the Gear VR is the only HMD that can adjust the lenses to accomodate different eyesight strengths, which is what you're decribing. Quest let's you adjust IPD though, which will prevent eye strain for people with non average interpupillary distances.

Quest has higher resolution than the Go and an OLED screen, so it should be even better for media than the Go, which is cited as a great VR media player.

To my knowledge the Gear VR is the only HMD that can adjust the lenses to accomodate different eyesight strengths, which is what you're decribing. Quest let's you adjust IPD though, which will prevent eye strain for people with non average interpupillary distances.

Quest has higher resolution than the Go and an OLED screen, so it should be even better for media than the Go, which is cited as a great VR media player.
Interesting, thank you. I wonder how well the IPD works if it’ll be the same and I can at least enjoy a movie on it without my glasses on I guess I’ll just wait and see.

Last edited:
Interesting, thank you. I wonder how well the IPD works if it’ll be the same and I can at least enjoy a movie on it without my glasses on I guess I’ll just wait and see.
You can wear your glasses inside the Go and Quest. They have a spacer thingie which you can insert under the foam to protect the lenses from getting scratched by the glasses. Using your own glasses is also preferred if your eyes have differing strengths, because the focal adjuster on Gear VR changes both eyes to the same degree.

Sorry for the stupid question but how does a Vr headset like this work without hardware attached? If i understand correctly this headset doesnt need a pc or phone to work? So it has hardware in the headset itself? Would i store my games on the headset itself?

Thanks

Time to save money. I’m already impressed with Oculus Go considering how limited it is. This will set the standard for future, proper VR.

It’s your turn, Sony.