Oculus annouces the Oculus Quest, All in One VR, Spring 2019, $399

Sorry for the stupid question but how does a Vr headset like this work without hardware attached? If i understand correctly this headset doesnt need a pc or phone to work? So it has hardware in the headset itself? Would i store my games on the headset itself?

Thanks
Yah, the headset itself will contain all the hardware components (processor chip, battery etc) , and you store the game on the headset itself.

I still think making these without a connectable tether of some kind to leverage your PC's power/use it as a desktop VR device as well is foolish. That positional data can surely be captured and transmitted and it adds enormous value to the device.
I imagine this happens for the same reason laptops tend to not let you use their screen as a second monitor easily - the way they set up the wiring for built-in LCD screens isn't really compatible with easily hooking external video to it, and since this probably is off-the-shelf, they're not gonna be spending the money to implement that.

Ah ok. Thats really impressive. Do we have an idea of the specs, storage space etc yet?
64 gigabytes of storage and it's running a Snapdragon 835 as the primary processor. Not sure if it has a tegra or anything in addition for more horsepower but I don't think so considering the price.

Last edited:
Because the PSVR proves that its not the high tech that people want. Its the accessibility and cheap price.

And now Oculus Quest essentially removed these road blocks: no wires, and cheap price (since you wont need to buy a PC/PS4/smartphone for it), no complicated setup

No offense but you make no sense.
Oculus so far has not even proved in a remote way LOL that they are selling to the mainstream. You guys are hilarious. Call me when this sells 10m or so.

I didn't say the tech wasn't good. I said this is still not even close because the audience is not even there atm.

Isn't this just a VR console but without the stand out first party efforts? At least with PC VR if the platform fails you can still use it for other stuff.

Isn't this just a VR console but without the stand out first party efforts? At least with PC VR if the platform fails you can still use it for other stuff.
Robo Recall and Superhot definitely are stand out Oculus financed titles. I don't expect Lone Echo or Stormlands, but Quest already has some great support announced. Beat Saber is just a matter of time either.

Would be neat if it could be used as a pc headsets as well.
People are already using their Gear VR and Go as wireless headsets with software like VRidge. It's an inofficial solution that usually lacks 6dof but there is no reason why they can't add that for the Quest.

I think the next HMD by Sony will be a standalone inside out tracking model, akin to Quest, but that can also be used with PS4/5 as a next gen HMD (wired for minimum lag and wireless as an option). It should launch before PS5 to give it a headstart, maybe a year before.

Last edited:
People are already using their Gear VR and Go as wireless headsets with software like VRidge. It's an inofficial solution that usually lacks 6dof but there is no reason why they can't add that for the Quest.

I think the next HMD by Sony will be a standalone inside out tracking model, akin to Quest, but that can also be used with PS4/5 as a next gen HMD (wired for minimum lag and wireless as an option). It should launch before PS5 to give it a headstart, maybe a year before.
Would you reckon Sony will market it as a separate piece of hardware like the Vita? The PlayStation Visor

Would you reckon Sony will market it as a separate piece of hardware like the Vita? The PlayStation Visor
Yeah, it should be a proper standalone with its own library. But also an investment that will work with other Playstation hardware, like remote play between PSP/Vita and PS3/PS4.

This is probably the first time I’ve actually thought about getting an oculus product. It’s obviously still an early stage product (and they’ve said as much by showing a vr roadmap, and talking about its comparative power) but the interesting part was when they stated this is the skeleton of vr that will continue on to future products. The controls will stay the same in future iterations, the inside out tracking, the wireless all-in-one setup etc. those are the hurdles that really bugged me before. Next will come eye tracking, foveated rendering, wider fov, higher pixel density and of course power will always increase.

I’m actually pretty interested, and that’s with understanding the graphics will be limited. The trade off of an all in one unit is worth it for me.

Oculus so far has not even proved in a remote way LOL that they are selling to the mainstream. You guys are hilarious. Call me when this sells 10m or so.

I didn't say the tech wasn't good. I said this is still not even close because the audience is not even there atm.
Well, that's because so far Oculus haven't have a standalone VR headset designed for mainstream.

How does the resolution compare to PSVR?
The PSVR will feel higher res as a PS4 Pro has ~30-50x the rendering capability.

Technically the Oculus Quest has a higher res screen:
Oculus Quest 1600x1440 per eye
Oculus Go 1280x1440 per eye
Oculus Rift 1080x1200 per eye
PSVR 1080x960 per eye

But the PSVR is the only one of those screens that has full RGB OLED (meaning every pixel consists of a Red, Green & Blue segment) and not merely two color segments.
That together with the pixel layout has ensured the PSVR basically has zero screen-door effect unlike most other VR headsets.

(screen-door effect is the visible grid on the left-side)

The Oculus Rift with its relatively low technical resolution compared to Oculus Quest will feel higher res as well simply because a high-end PC can have 100x+ higher rendering capability (so they can render at a higher-resolution and super-sample it down, add a lot of expensive AA effects etc).

But saying that, Oculus Go visuals are surprisingly sharp and relatively close to both PCVR & PSVR though games are running obviously simplified graphics with much less scene complexity.

Last edited:

I guess it just comes down to prediction. The way I see it, it's the first VR headset since the Vive that I've seen real value in adding to my shelf, and that I could enthusiastically demo to/recommend to friends and family due to its ease of use. When this comes out it's going to lift a barrier from owners and their social circles, as people will be able to take the experience out of their gaming space super easily. It's going to improve public perception of VR amongst all the people who aren't educated on what VR is beyond Google Cardboard or Gear VR.

Quest is the first VR headset I could see reaching 10M eventually. All other VR headsets to date have psychological barriers.

Just the amount of wires and setup of Oculus Rift is quite frustrating. This price point is exciting if I can get the same kind if experiences that I have on my GTX 970 without any wires or sensors. Sounds like sorcery. Is it battery powered? Do you USB charge it?

Yeah, it got me super excited for the location based / warehouse scale prospects with these headsets - especially interesting was that right next to this booth was Secrets of the Empire from The Void, where you have soooooo much more expensive tech going on for a tracked multiplayer location based experience (modified rifts, mocap cameras, leap motions, haptic vests, etc)

Beat saber would be great on Quest and an awesome way to demo it to others. I hope they port it!

On vr stuff, I was design lead on Gnomes and Goblins (preview) on steamVR and a designer on Wolves in the Walls with story studio. I'm working on a jumping flash inspired platformer called Roobound that I'd like to bring to quest someday!
I've often thought Jumping Flash would be cool in VR and that looks very good.

Gnomes and Goblins was adorable. I'm assuming that project is dead and buried and nothing further is coming from it.

ninjaboyjohn Do you happen to have any knowledge about if the Oculus Insight tracking tech has discrete chipsets for handling that processing or is it the Snapdragon handling everything 100% ?
The Tested hands-on definitely settled that. No discrete chipsets. One core is simply dedicated to processing.

The Tested hands-on definitely settled that. No discrete chipsets. One core is simply dedicated to processing.
Tested delivering like always. Thanks for the heads up!
Really surprised that a single 835 core is sufficient for that but sounds like they really digged into that together with Qualcomm.

edit: As far as I can see they don't exactly confirm that it's using a single core on the 835 (but they do confirm it is the 835 fully responsible for handling the tracking processing).

Last edited:
Here's the Tested video:

Also they mention that the controllers use IR for tracking which is interesting meaning the cameras are capable of detecting that spectrum in addition.

Just the amount of wires and setup of Oculus Rift is quite frustrating. This price point is exciting if I can get the same kind if experiences that I have on my GTX 970 without any wires or sensors. Sounds like sorcery. Is it battery powered? Do you USB charge it?
It's midrange cellphone hardware: SD 835 with 64 GB of storage running Android. I'm sure the battery capacity is larger than a standard phone, though, given the size of the device.

SD 835 is probably the best bang-for-bucks ARM CPU at the moment as it's the first 10nm high-end chip from Qualcomm (Oculus Go has 14nm SD 821) but being last years model the price will have dropped.
Only with next years likely-to-be-called SD 855 will they first achieve 7nm.

It's midrange cellphone hardware: SD 835 with 64 GB of storage running Android. I'm sure the battery capacity is larger than a standard phone, though, given the size of the device.
Is it really mid range if it's not much worse than this years Snapdragon (845)? It's a chip from last year, but it's still one of the fastest out at the moment.

SD 835 is probably the best bang-for-bucks ARM CPU at the moment as it's the first 10nm high-end chip from Qualcomm (Oculus Go has 14nm SD 821) but being last years model the price will have dropped.
Only with next years likely-to-be-called SD 855 will they first achieve 7nm.
Is it really mid range if it's not much worse than this years Snapdragon (845)? It's a chip from last year, but it's still one of the fastest out at the moment.
The SD835 has a weaker GPU than the 2015 Tegra X1 (used in, e.g., the Switch) and is also far inferior in both GPU and CPU performance than Apple's A12 (and not even as performant as the 2015 A9 in single-threaded CPU operations). It's Qualcomm's second best SoC, but that's not saying much.

In any case, it's nowhere near the GTX 970, which was what the poster I was responding to was using as a point of comparison.

I guess it just comes down to prediction. The way I see it, it's the first VR headset since the Vive that I've seen real value in adding to my shelf, and that I could enthusiastically demo to/recommend to friends and family due to its ease of use. When this comes out it's going to lift a barrier from owners and their social circles, as people will be able to take the experience out of their gaming space super easily. It's going to improve public perception of VR amongst all the people who aren't educated on what VR is beyond Google Cardboard or Gear VR.

Quest is the first VR headset I could see reaching 10M eventually. All other VR headsets to date have psychological barriers.
Ahhh I mean I see what you are saying but 10m nah man. There are way too many options out there, and to be honest the masses are simply gonna want that totally immersive game with crazy graphics that they take to their friends about. While this set is a big step in the right direction, 10m right now is absurd I think at least IMO. When these devices start hitting 4K for every set, and more major AAA games come on board then we can talk.

I still feel like VR is dead and these things every so often are just last dying gasps.

And the games everybody mentions as legitimizing VR still sound completely like one trick pony gimmick titles.

That said I've never really experienced VR (played a little with the Samsung phone goggles) and part of me wants to try it. I bet that Re7 game would scare the pants off me, as one who cant handle horror movies even. And I remember that FEAR game on Xbox 360 scared me to death one night...

I still feel like VR is dead and these things every so often are just last dying gasps.

And the games everybody mentions as legitimizing VR still sound completely like one trick pony gimmick titles.

That said I've never really experienced VR (played a little with the Samsung phone goggles) and part of me wants to try it. I bet that Re7 game would scare the pants off me, as one who cant handle horror movies even. And I remember that FEAR game on Xbox 360 scared me to death one night...
you should shift the 'I've never really experienced VR' part to be your opening sentence in the future.

The PSVR will feel higher res as a PS4 Pro has ~30-50x the rendering capability.

Technically the Oculus Quest has a higher res screen:
Oculus Quest 1600x1440 per eye
Oculus Go 1280x1440 per eye
Oculus Rift 1080x1200 per eye
PSVR 1080x960 per eye

But the PSVR is the only one of those screens that has full RGB OLED (meaning every pixel consists of a Red, Green & Blue segment) and not merely two color segments.
That together with the pixel layout has ensured the PSVR basically has zero screen-door effect unlike most other VR headsets.

(screen-door effect is the visible grid on the left-side)

The Oculus Rift with its relatively low technical resolution compared to Oculus Quest will feel higher res as well simply because a high-end PC can have 100x+ higher rendering capability (so they can render at a higher-resolution and super-sample it down, add a lot of expensive AA effects etc).

But saying that, Oculus Go visuals are surprisingly sharp and relatively close to both PCVR & PSVR though games are running obviously simplified graphics with much less scene complexity.
Thank you for the detailed answer, puts things in perspective for me.

The SD835 has a weaker GPU than the 2015 Tegra X1 (used in, e.g., the Switch) and is also far inferior in both GPU and CPU performance than Apple's A12 (and not even as performant as the 2015 A9 in single-threaded CPU operations). It's Qualcomm's second best SoC, but that's not saying much.

In any case, it's nowhere near the GTX 970, which was what the poster I was responding to was using as a point of comparison.
Apple is using a internal develop chipset that no external customer can buy. So which other supplier can provide a mobile chipset that make a Snapdragon 835 midrange? The GPU might be down compared to Tegra X1 but the CPU should be up, or am I missing something?

Of course no mobile chipset is comparable to a discrete graphic card.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ahhh I mean I see what you are saying but 10m nah man. There are way too many options out there, and to be honest the masses are simply gonna want that totally immersive game with crazy graphics that they take to their friends about. While this set is a big step in the right direction, 10m right now is absurd I think at least IMO. When these devices start hitting 4K for every set, and more major AAA games come on board then we can talk.
The masses, historically, do not need the best graphics. Nintendo proved that with DS, Wii and Switch. Horsepower is a selling point, but other things can be focused on to affect consumer perception greatly, like input, game library, OS features, etc.

If PSVR can sell 3-4M in 2 years to 70M PS4 owners, then I think Quest can sell 10M in 4 years to the many who have electricity, internet, eyes and hands.

Yes, but looking at tech available to Android device manufacturers, the Snapdragon chips are the best option. The 835 loses to the X1 on the GPU side, but it beats it on the CPU performance, and it should draw less energy.

Yay cant wait for Facebook to own a major slice of the gaming industry shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

This thing is probably going to sell like crazy

The masses, historically, do not need the best graphics. Nintendo proved that with DS, Wii and Switch. Horsepower is a selling point, but other things can be focused on to affect consumer perception greatly, like input, game library, OS features, etc.

If PSVR can sell 3-4M in 2 years to 70M PS4 owners, then I think Quest can sell 10M in 4 years to the many who have electricity, internet, eyes and hands.
I do realize that, but VR is different. This is not a handheld. The whole point to it is that you are totally immersed. Anything that gets in the way of that is going to make people go ehh it's pretty cool but IDK. IMHO they really need to be blown away to start hyping it up as not just a secondary way to play but maybe the main way to play some big games.

Can you guys help me, I cant find one certain pic from presentation. There was a slide with launch games/studios list - with Superhot VR etc. - I've seen it in some article and I don't remember which exactly.

This is not mainstream VR. Mainstream VR will be 4K for 200 bucks or so 300 max. No device ever has been considered anywhere near the mainstream for 400 dollars let alone a VR device.
I really don't think the mainstream is waiting for 4k headsets to jump in. What they want is ease of use with quality experiences at a decently affordable price. If a 4k PCVR hmd came out tomorrow at $200-$300 and was still wired and needed a PC or console to run and cameras to set up around the room, they would be less interested in it than the Quest. I still think it's maybe $150-$200 from that sweetspot price point and it's still too early to tell how the software lineup will turn out, but otherwise this is the closest we've gotten to what they want.