Overwatch |OT2|Live Long and Alla Till Mig!

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
This argument is going nowhere. You're free to ignore unsolicited advice. Subsequently, there's no reason to hound someone over this.

Sorry for others derailing this, not even sure how they turned peoples personal experiences into argument.

Let's keep on topic, on the official forums someone made a post about how MMR is being fixed and reworked. Are we allowed to link from the main forums?

Let's keep on topic, on the official forums someone made a post about how MMR is being fixed and reworked.
Megaton if true, also not before time.

Are we allowed to link from the main forums?
Why would you not be able to? it's the official forums for the game, not some dodgy website? I think the only links that are banned are shady sites, affiliate links and NSFW stuff.

hi, very new to the game (humble bundle). I try to play whatever the team needs but mostly reinhart/lucio. I got two questions: any good guides on how to play pharah? and the second one is, if i get a team on quick play that runs all "lone wolf" damage characters im pretty much SOL huh? should i post my stat page or something

Ps tracer seems really good and is there a joke about certain players only playing reaper/widow? Feel like i see that alot

Last edited:
hi, very new to the game (humble bundle). I try to play whatever the team needs but mostly reinhart/lucio. I got two questions: any good guides on how to play pharah? and the second one is, if i get a team on quick play that runs all "lone wolf" damage characters im pretty much SOL huh? should i post my stat page or something

Ps tracer seems really good and is there a joke about certain players only playing reaper/widow? Feel like i see that alot
Welcome to the game. The game is all about countering what the enemy team is running. Every character has a counter. If by "lone wolf" you're saying flankers like Tracer, Genji, Sombra, etc then you can try to learn McCree who is really good at stopping them. He has a flashbang that basically stuns them which will allow you to pop a few shots in. Brigette is also very effective against flankers if she's in range. Conversely you can try to run Roadhog, who is beefier and slower but his hook is really useful for grabbing Tracers and yanking them in for a kill.

I wrote a guide on Pharah awhile ago. You can find it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/comments/6a9sjk/how_to_pharah/dhd65ob/?context=3

It is not up-to-date in several ways but the general premises ring true. Mainly, what has changed since I wrote that is that Widow has become much harder for Pharah to kill (she got buffed), McCree's ult became even more dangerous than it already was (it got buffed), D.Va became somewhat less of a threat for Pharah (she got nerfed), and Hanzo is now a significant Pharah counter (he got buffed). Indeed, it's rather difficult to play Pharah against Hanzo unless you really know what you're doing because Hanzo can kill you very quickly and is also very not susceptible to rockets. It is currently the worst time to play Pharah since the game came out, although there appear to be some buffs right around the corner so that'll likely change shortly.

As for your comment about being SOL in quick play if everyone picks flankers, the answer is yes. Quick play is not really a great representation of how the game is/should be played; it's best not to take it too seriously.

i didn't even do the original halloween event. then again i rarely even touch the event unless there's a skin that's tied to it that i can't get from lootboxes or from buying it.

i didn't even do the original halloween event. then again i rarely even touch the event unless there's a skin that's tied to it that i can't get from lootboxes or from buying it.
I felt like my aim with McCree/Hanzo improved a bit by playing Junkenstein's Revenge last year. Sure they're only bots, but in later waves there are so many and the bosses keep respawning it becomes so chaotic; I had to force myself to calm down and make my shots count instead of firing in a panic.

anyone else think that Busan shouldn't be in comp map rotation yet?
Mystery Heroes rotation means I've only played the Busan map once. My hasty impression was that it's so open and porous that it's a place where turrets and snipers have a field day. They had both and we didn't, so once they set up on point we got rolled.

Last edited:
I feel like I’m talking to myself, we may be doppelgangers. I’ve gotten to the point where I just pick Brig in most situations, people take a look at my profile and just let me have her lol, unless I really have to fill somewhere cause people would rather lose than switch off reaper when they’re getting displaced/stunned by 5 heroes on the other team, or there’s an uncontested Widow/Hanzo or Ana winning fights from a mile away.
It's really a weird elo up there. I was playing with my smurf yesterday and was baby sitting our Widow and Pharah entire match as Mercy. Widow/Pharah battles are more boring than getting stunned and fisted at the same time.

Veelk I use the Engineer skin (Orange one). Her voice and looks are top notch. She is such a fantastic hero in terms of design.

But I get you. I don't enjoy having my main being this much hated. It's not just you. Reddit forums, Sty latest video on Mercy, whole community, it's just too much for me right now to the point that I can't be bothered to play comp lately with my main.

Even if they nerfed her to the ground she will still be hated. Blizzard fucked up and I'm not sure how they will fix her seeing how they badly damaged Mercy and re-worked Symm for nothing.

Veelk I use the Engineer skin (Orange one). Her voice and looks are top notch. She is such a fantastic hero in terms of design.

But I get you. I don't enjoy having my main being this much hated. It's not just you. Reddit forums, Sty latest video on Mercy, whole community, it's just too much for me right now to the point that I can't be bothered to play comp lately with my main.

Even if they nerfed her to the ground she will still be hated. Blizzard fucked up and I'm not sure how they will fix her seeing how they badly damaged Mercy and re-worked Symm for nothing.
That genuinely sucks, dude.

The ironic thing is that I think my hate for her is kinda dying down and I am mostly referencing it for as a sort of running joke. I was playing a lot of DM before and she REALLY sucks the fun out of the game there, but in normal games, she is less of a problem because teammates can just gang up on her. Maybe her ability to 1v1 everyone is a problem, but practically, you rarely get a true 1v1 match up since it's all about teamfights. Once I accepted that, maybe she isn't great to fight against, but yeah, she's managable.

As far as how Blizzard will change her...well, I personally don't think Sym 3.0 is a failure, but I don't play her. I feel like she has a lot of untapped potential at best and needs a few more adjustments at worst. But on paper, her kit is more than solid. Mercy, I agree, and hope that we'll see better changes to her soon that revert her Rez to being her ult with proper balancing.

With Brig, you already know that I think introducing counterplay to her kit itself would do wonders for playing with her. But I said before and I'll say again that the strength of overwatch is that you can find a character and playstyle that you identify with and can fulfill a power fantasy with. I can understand being frustrated with balance changes, but going after players for it is never acceptable imo.

I think Blizzard should try to brainstorm ways to improve teleporter functionality, and buff her left click more. I think she is much stronger than her previous iterations, and her ult is very good (probably among the best in the game if used correctly).

The interact button isn't the best solution, and it's not entirely clear when a teleporter is active at any given time to teammates.

I think Blizzard should try to brainstorm ways to improve teleporter functionality, and buff her left click more. I think she is much stronger than her previous iterations, and her ult is very good (probably among the best in the game if used correctly).

The interact button isn't the best solution, and it's not entirely clear when a teleporter is active at any given time to teammates.
I actually do think the interact button is part of the problem. It's 2 years of playing the game and people are suddenly given this new button they have to use to activate an ability. And Console players barely have enough buttons for the base game alone.

Two changes I would introduce are:

1. have teleports be automatic. In some cases, this might result in issues, but players need to get used to just stepping into teleport and just GOING. At worst, it will be like Mei's ice wall where it screws people over very occasionally.
2. Have teleporter last indefinitely unless Sym herself deletes it with Interact or the enemy destroys it.

Both cases would make it easier to use.

I miss the shield from auld Sym, but new one is just all round better. She has more impact and is infinitely more fun to play.

I forgot Pharah has new rockets. What's the consensus? Seems pretty mixed online. They look in footage more like Quake rockets which suits me.
They are less like Quake rockets. In Q3A the max possible indirect damage was 100 percent of the direct damage. In practice this never happened, but it was possible. QL changed the ratio to 70 percent max damage for indirects. In Overwatch, the ratio has always been considerably lower, but now it is even lower still.

Welcome to the game. The game is all about countering what the enemy team is running. Every character has a counter. If by "lone wolf" you're saying flankers like Tracer, Genji, Sombra, etc then you can try to learn McCree who is really good at stopping them. He has a flashbang that basically stuns them which will allow you to pop a few shots in. Brigette is also very effective against flankers if she's in range. Conversely you can try to run Roadhog, who is beefier and slower but his hook is really useful for grabbing Tracers and yanking them in for a kill.
oh no, what i meant was i get put on a team that is locked into (reaper/widow/mcgree/hanzo/genji or mora). Doesnt seem like i can do too much other then try and have fun. Appreciate the Flanker advice. a good tracer is really painful.

I wrote a guide on Pharah awhile ago. You can find it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/comments/6a9sjk/how_to_pharah/dhd65ob/?context=3
As for your comment about being SOL in quick play if everyone picks flankers, the answer is yes. Quick play is not really a great representation of how the game is/should be played; it's best not to take it too seriously.
Yeah i figured. thanks for the guide too, I think shes fun but wasnt sure about her priorities/goals.

Well this thread went off the rails haha
Elo Hell is about the worst topic of conversation you can have with a competitive game. I used to believe it was real when I first started playing League of Legends (I was Silver), I've been there.

People told me it wasn't real and I told them they were wrong. It wasn't until Overwatch that I learned to play as a team and I was able to look back on my hundreds of hours in LoL and see how I was playing that game completely wrong. If I was Master league in StarCraft II, how could I only be Silver in LoL? It had to be my teammates, so I thought. The real truth was that SC2 is a 1v1 game and LoL is a team game and I just straight up did not know how to be a team player. It wasn't my teammates, it was me.

With Overwatch, I put serious effort into learning how to be a team player (I main support, after all), and I started climbing real fast.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Indeed. I had a weird set of QP matches last night where we were uncoordinated as hell, particularly Hanamura. A lot of times I'll get pissed, just barge on in, try to force a push, and it usually never works. Once my Rein stopped being cowardly and took the lead on pushing, I just followed and did the best I could. Usually the rest of enemy will go into the little pagoda, which allowed the rest of my team to stop being scared. That hot mess won.

If you can work with the shit that is your team versus trying to play at a higher level than what they're displaying, even if you know you can (I definitely can), then you increase your odds of winning. It's weird. Overwatch is weird.

Well this thread went off the rails haha
I have zero problem with people arguing, debating and stating their point. I, personally, have been schooled many times over on this forum by people who know the game better than me. Chicken Wing was literally shutting down every conversation that was trying to teach him how the game works and then following it up with a super snarky "Thanks for you input, though" tag line on everything. To me that's trolling at it's most basic form that's where I think many of us in here were put off by his attitude. I've ignored him since and have had the pleasure of reading up on the day to day normal stuff we all talk about in here minus the trolling.

They are less like Quake rockets. In Q3A the max possible indirect damage was 100 percent of the direct damage. In practice this never happened, but it was possible. QL changed the ratio to 70 percent max damage for indirects. In Overwatch, the ratio has always been considerably lower, but now it is even lower still.
Ohhh cheers I meant speed not damage. I love my Quake memories but I couldn't even tell you the rocket damage in that game (Q2, Q3A). Reflex shooting rockets just always felt better as they were fast. Still need to play Legends.

What do you mean by backline? I am new to this. Just got the PC version through humble bundle this month.
Backline refers to heroes that would traditionally stay near the back of the team formation (Supports), while frontline would be the opposite and refers mostly to shield heroes like Orisa and Reinhardt.