PC Gaming Era | October 2018 - Jason and the Argonauts

Oh right, I played Analogue years ago (as well as Digital, its free kinda-prequel). Completely forgot about it. I should probably check out Hate Plus, yeah. Ladykiller doesn't look like it would be my thing, though.

And yeah, VA-11 Hall-A is great. I played it right before that year's Steam GOTY voting and it ended up stealing my #1 spot at the last minute. I'm pretty excited about the sequel they just announced!
i'd start with analogue and hate plus, but don't sleep on ladykiller

i can't imagine anyone not liking it, it's definitely not something you can have much real expectations for but it's so good

i should finish it btw, i enjoyed being punished so much

Speed gives you enough of a bonus for an easier S-rank but depending on the mission (in TPP at least) you can take your time so long as the final score is high enough due to other considerations like objectives completed, no spottings, etc.
Ah, ok. I remember that video of a guy just driving through the large base mission on the end and getting an S-rank for it.

Insomnia is truly amazing. There are some bugs, the one about the cirillic localization taking over the english one in some prompt is the worst that i've encountered so far, but all in all the game is utterly fantastic
A fresh location, deep RPG mechanic, great narrative and lore so far.

Insomnia is truly amazing. There are some bugs, the one about the cirillic localization taking over the english one in some prompt is the worst that i've encountered so far, but all in all the game is utterly fantastic
A fresh location, deep RPG mechanic, great narrative and lore so far.
So you're saying don't sleep on it?

I thought S-rank in MGSV was only speed, so you can just run through a stage, do the objective and get S-rank no matter who sees you. Unless Ground Zeroes was different of course.
No in MGSV S rank is not speed only, it depends from the stage. In example to S rank the mission in which
you retrieve the weapon inside the Skullface caver, or whatever it was
speed is the most important thing, you need to unlock the near landing zone and start the mission from here, no matter if enemies see and shoot you, if you are fast enough to enter, achieve your objective and leave, you'll get S rank. If you instead try to beat the mission the proper way, by starting it from the default landing zone, going to the end, never being spotted, triggering alarms or kill enemies, the best you can get is an A.
So yeah, speed is probably the most important thing, but you can't rely on speed only for some missions.

Steins;Gate true ending achieved! That was quite the ride. It took a while to really get going and it wasn't quite how I thought it would be but I enjoyed it a lot.

It was pretty much my first "pure" VN, everything else I had played up until now had some element of gameplay to them. So, for future reference, what other VNs available on Steam do I need to wishlist? Steins;Gate 0 is an obvious one and I remember people in this thread pushing House in Fata Morgana pretty hard a few years back, so that one too. What else, though?

A few things to note:
- I have no interest whatsoever in romance/slice of life/etc, so I won't be interested in stuff like Clannad. Mystery/thriller, horror, sci-fi and the likes are all good, though.
- Dogshit art is a big turn off for me (so again, no Clannad!)
- Having actual gameplay isn't necessary but I would be lying if I said I didn't prefer it. I love Zero Escape, Danganronpa and Ace Attorney. Even something minimal like in VA-11 Hall-A is cool.

Oh and am I misremembering or was there some talk of Spike Chunsoft bringing over the other Science Adventure titles? If they're anywhere near as good as Steins;Gate then I definitely wanna check them out.
Cardinal Cross and Heaven Will be Mine are both interesting sci-fi VNs released in the last few months - Heaven Will be Mine in particular has some of the best writing in the genre as long as you don't mind slightly more experimental prose.

Yes. +1 for Heaven Will be Mine.

Their previous VN was We know the Devil, and it too was amazing.
===============

I wonder if anybody will make an ultrawide monitor at TV sizes. Even if we have to jump to 3840x1600 to make it more reasonable.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
I know Umineko is another one that got a lot of praise around here but some of those screenshots look rough. Kinda makes it a tough sell lol.
What you need to consider is this: Umineko (and Higurashi) achieved their current level of fame with those original graphics.
Think about how great everything else must be! (It really is)

Speaking about Yakuza 0 minigames, currently I have 2 problems with them:

1. I somehow managed to beat first 2 opponents in disco subquests, but that last dude from Osaka is still too strong for me. Are there any special tactics how to beat him except obvious "git gud" trash?
2. My cars in pocket circuit racing keep falling out of the track no matter what I do. I've tried not to use turbo and constantly mashing gauge button, but it doesn't help and I keep getting out without even reaching the finish line, and that's really annoying because if you won't reach finish line friendship gauge with that announcer dude won't go up either. What am I doing wrong and how to stay in the goddamn line?

Almost done with real estate stuff, only last area left, can't wait to finally go back and focus on the main story instead of doing all that side stuff. I already forgot what happened in those first 6 chapters

Heaven Will be Mine in particular has some of the best writing in the genre as long as you don't mind slightly more experimental prose.
Yes. +1 for Heaven Will be Mine.

Their previous VN was We know the Devil, and it too was amazing.
Oooh, never heard of either of those but I just looked them up and I am really digging the vibes I'm getting from their trailers. Those aesthetics and soundtracks are right up my alley.

What you need to consider is this: Umineko (and Higurashi) achieved their current level of fame with those original graphics.
Think about how great everything else must be! (It really is)
Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence with those two. I think they at least warrant taking a closer look at because their stories sound pretty interesting. I'll have to see if there's a demo or something I can check out. At the very least watch some footage to get a better idea or what they're actually like.

I have to ask, though. What is up with that inconsistent art quality? Like, just from a quick glance at the store page:

this looks fine
but what in the hell is going on here?!? It looks like it's from a completely different game!

Oooh, never heard of either of those but I just looked them up and I am really digging the vibes I'm getting from their trailers. Those aesthetics and soundtracks are right up my alley.

Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence with those two. I think they at least warrant taking a closer look at because their stories sound pretty interesting. I'll have to see if there's a demo or something I can check out. At the very least watch some footage to get a better idea or what they're actually like.

I have to ask, though. What is up with that inconsistent art quality? Like, just from a quick glance at the store page:

this looks fine

but what in the hell is going on here?!? It looks like it's from a completely different game!
There are multiple versions of the sprites you can use. The 'weird' ones are the original art and the other is new art specific to the Steam version.
There's also sprites from the PS3 version you can mod in with a simple patch.
For example Higurashi:
Original -> PS3 -> Steam
Original -> Steam -> PS3

The first one are the Steam re-release graphics. The second are the original graphics.
It's an option.
Those games used to be a small indie project. That's why the art is like that.
There are multiple versions of the sprites you can use. The 'weird' ones are the original art and the other is new art specific to the Steam version.
There's also sprites from the PS3 version you can mod in with a simple patch.
For example Higurashi:

Original -> PS3 -> Steam

Original -> Steam -> PS3
Oh! I somehow managed to miss that detail... The store pages I looked at earlier didn't make it immediately clear that it was an option but I looked again and finally found one that did. If I don't have to look at that shitty MS Paint art then that's a completely different story. Why would they have those awful sprites as one of their screenshots? At a glance, it really gives the impression that some parts of the game still look like that lol.

Durante

Dark Souls Man

Apparently the i9 9900k will ship in a dodecahedron.
I can't be the only one who is annoyed that they are doing this for a 16-thread CPU rather than a 12-thread CPU.

Apparently the i9 9900k will ship in a dodecahedron.
I can't be the only one who is annoyed that they are doing this for a 16-thread CPU rather than a 12-thread CPU.
Unrelated to the number of sides, but would this CPU fit into the same slot as an 8700k and if it could, would replacing the CPU require a new Windows installation?

I don't think I need to replace my 8700k just yet, but like... you know, planning for the future and all that.

Unrelated to the number of sides, but would this CPU fit into the same slot as an 8700k and if it could, would replacing the CPU require a new Windows installation?

I don't think I need to replace my 8700k just yet, but like... you know, planning for the future and all that.
The 9900k has the same socket as the 8700k, so it should fit. And you usually don't have to reinstall Windows after replacing the CPU.

Loom - Mivey
You mean you haven't heard of the latest masterpiece of fantasy storytelling from Lucasfilm's™ Brian Moriarty™? Why, it's an extraordinary adventure with interface of magic, stunning high-resolution 3D landscapes and sophisticated score and musical effects. Not to mention the detailed animation special effects, elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects and magic spells. Beat the rush! Go out and buy Loom™ today!
Btw, did i need to pm someone after i beat it (fourth time, afaik) or just post in this thread?

So, since we are getting the 9000 Intel CPUs line, does this mean next one will be something revolutionary and I'll finally have a good reason to upgrade my i5-3570K?

The 9900k has the same socket as the 8700k, so it should fit. And you usually don't have to reinstall Windows after replacing the CPU.
Awesome. thanks! :)

My upgrade path is clear. From 8700k-9900k. 1080ti-2080ti-2180ti.

Full new build in 2022 or 2024, depending on what's poppin'.

Anyone bought Mega Man 11 from other stores than Steam store? I bought from Voidu, and got a key from them. But when I redeemed it it activated as
Mega Man 11 / ロックマン11 運命の歯車!!
I am not sure if I got pre-order bonus too

JaseC

You'll always have friends at the Grand Hotel
Anyone bought Mega Man 11 from other stores than Steam store? I bought from Voidu, and got a key from them. But when I redeemed it it activated as
I am not sure if I got pre-order bonus too
Open the console (steam://open/console) and type in licenses_for_app 861200. If it returns something like "License packageID 271127", then you have the DLC.

Open the console (steam://open/console) and type in licenses_for_app 861200. If it returns something like "License packageID 271127", then you have the DLC.
Thanks

Looks like I didn't receive it, sighs :(

- Apps : 742300, 861200, (2 in total)
- Depots : 742301, (1 in total)

edit 1: or wait, is 861200 the dlc?
edit 2: I think I am blind, didn't see the first row: License packageID 271127

I probably got the pre-order bonus

If I don’t preorder AC Odyssey will there be a way to get the preorder mission down the road? I can’t remember how it worked for Origins and I want to wait to buy it if possible.