PC Racing Sims |OT|

I know this helps nobody with problems but it works fine here with my CSL Elite PS4 wheel. My time was short so just did a couple practice laps with default settings and it looked good and felt fine. I don't generally use them but the racing line was on by default and I didn't like the way it's kind of raised and then flattens itself as you drive around. Really distracting. Will play more later.

Watching the GamerMuscle stream and he seems to keep mentioning the FFB latency, anyone else having issues? I'll definitely pick this up before the price increase but might hold out until October

Black screen with moise pointer visible for 5 seconds, then it closes again. *sigh*

Early Access I guess. I'm on nvidia driver 399.07 and the newest ist 399.24.... that's not gonna be it, is it?
I'm on 399.07 too and, while I haven't had any crashing, my CPU is getting absolutely obliterated and I'm getting a lot of hitching in the "sprint race" challenge. Getting good GPU usage and framrates, so I know I'm capable of playing at high/epic details, but the CPU usage is making all but hotlapping unplayable (which, for now, is pretty much all you can do anyway).

I'd be surprised if 399.24 fixed my CPU usage, but I guess it's worth a try.

Regarding the actual gameplay...I'm digging it. It took me a while to dial in my FFB settings because there are seemingly no profiles yet, but once I found something usable I had a lot of fun with the car. I'll probably hop back on later once I've installed the new driver.

Last edited:
Watching the GamerMuscle stream and he seems to keep mentioning the FFB latency, anyone else having issues? I'll definitely pick this up before the price increase but might hold out until October
I quickly turned it on and just saw him mousing through the settings. No MSAA when he flipped through the AA? This was my fear when switching to UE. AC looks so great in VR. I feared this is going to have that dirty, blurry look that most Unreal games have. Really hope it isn't a big step back in that department.

EDIT: And for those who don't do VR, it's more than MSAA. It's that a lot of Unreal games flat out don't allow AA to be turned off. You're stuck picking an awful AA method that destroys the image and renders super sampling useless in the IQ department. If they would just let you use nothing, you could brute force things with SS to clean things up.

I've had no issues with my wheel (t500rs) but it took me a while to get it all set up in game. I had to manually configure everything as there were no presets, I assume that's the same for everyone?

If there are specific things you need like inverted pedals you need to hover over what you have selected for your pedal inputs then select advanced.

Anyway, the game looks stunning and performs much better than AC. Running everything maxed apart from shadows, mirrors and post processing on high. Getting locked 60fps at 1080p with 105 resolution scale to clean things up a bit more. Really interested to see how this runs in VR on lower settings, I suspect it will still look really good.

There's a lack of FFB options but I just set it at 75 gain, no minimum force and it's felt good during my hour of playing.

Really enjoying my time with it so far. Tried the race for benchmarking and getting my settings dialled in but now I'm just messing around in practice mode in various weather's and TOD's.

I quickly turned it on and just saw him mousing through the settings. No MSAA when he flipped through the AA? This was my fear when switching to UE. AC looks so great in VR. I feared this is going to have that dirty, blurry look that most Unreal games have. Really hope it isn't a big step back in that department.

EDIT: And for those who don't do VR, it's more than MSAA. It's that a lot of Unreal games flat out don't allow AA to be turned off. You're stuck picking an awful AA method that destroys the image and renders super sampling useless in the IQ department. If they would just let you use nothing, you could brute force things with SS to clean things up.
If you switch AA to temporal and 'low' it is jaggy central but I guess that's the route you would have to go in VR to achieve a sharper image (with a large amount of supersampling).

It's temporal or FXAA on low to high. And it's blurry, mucb blurrier than any other current racing games. Gamermuscle also mentioned ghosting on temporal and... I know this absurd, but to me fxaa looked better on mid than temporal, but in the replays I still had severe ghosting on the car. Maybe replays always run temporal?

Now that being said, I'm running on a 970 and can turn things to epic with the game running fine in hotlapping. Given how well unreal scales, maybe you can gain some sharpness with supersampling and also... I bet they'll optimize the aliasing some more.

Force Feedback... yes there is something weird going on, but I'm not sure how much of it is the actual tire model simulating the "brushes" more natural and you get more "damping" that way. Input delay can also be the relaxation length of the tire and the stiffness changing with pressure, because I felt it was much sharper in hotlapping at noon than in practice in cloudy weather in the later evening.

Another thing I don't like is the in-cockpit display... it reacts to the lighting, but is absolute non-glossy. It also takes a moment to "sharpen in" when you switch display modes. And there is no display mode that shows the brake balance. Not sure if in VR you can just look at the actual brake balance switch, but I sure can't and I'd love to run without HUD.

Edit: The sounds btw are SERIOUSLY involved. There are SO many sounds for everything... way more different tire sounds for all sorts of scrubbing, screeching, different brake disc sounds, you hear hydraulic pumps engaging...

Last edited:
Just watching the gamermuscle video while I download the FH4 demo and yeh. . I can't agree with any of what he said.

The FFB feels great to me and I'm not feeling any latency/lag, the car is responding to my inputs well. But then I'm not using the cockpit view where you can see the drivers hands and the wheel.

I don’t know if any of you have tried Robo Recall in VR but that looks great, you do however need both sharpening AND SSAA to get good image quality.

The forced temporal aliasing UE4 uses because of how they have specular effects everywhere which looks terrible without it is gonna mean it needs a lot of juice.

To be fair though PCars 2 also has a lot of aliasing on the only AA settings I can run.

Cost me 82p after using steam wallet though not going to be back home until at least 9.30 though!

Quickly switched from Temporal to FXAA. Temporal was covering the cockpit LCD in a smear of vaseline. No thank you.

Did a handful of laps, too tired for much more. Generally liking how it feels, seems to have the same connected feel as AC, but there are some big differences. I'm not sure how much of it is to do with the fact that most of my time with original AC is spent with the FFB Clip app, LUT and WheelCheck and all that stuff switched on. So I can't really compare vanilla AC to vanilla ACC.

Did one or two laps in the wet at night. Runs well on a GTX 970/i5 4690K @4.3ghz, mostly High settings. Found that I was experiencing some dips into the high 40s at times on Epic settings. So for a day 1 Early Access build, that seems pretty decent imo. Looks nice overall, big step up from vanilla AC.

--

Wet handling is uhh. I guess I don't know what to say because so few sims do wet simulations? Driving in Storms is VERY nervous, you do get a lot of aquaplaning. I think it's the only wet condition that doesn't inspire much confidence. The others seem okay, I imagine because the tyre is built for it more.

I did have one moment where I said to myself, okay, don't touch the kerb in the wet, so of course I touched the kerb and it tried extremely hard to spit me off the track. So that was fun.

I'll be really intrigued when dynamic weather is a thing and whether you can drive around aquaplaning or not.

About the ACC FFB:

- I had some moments where I heard the tires and saw the camera move, before I felt the rear giving in through the FFB. Not a problem I know from any other sims, not even Forza (well, 7 at least) or GT.
- AC used driver-side damping and felt a LOT better with damping turned off or to very low values. Most modern sims don't use drive-side damping any more, neither does ACC and... it's too much damping for me, which now can't be tuned down anymore.
- The FFB torque is relatively strong even early on, as if someone has turned the "FFB low force boost" in AMS up to a really high value, suitable for a G29 or T150 [same effect as turning AC post-processing FFB from the ini file to a relative low value]. Which squeezes the higher forces that you can make actual use of (feeling them get lighter if you turn in too much and get under or oversteer), into a smaller torque spectrum.

Maybe the slow-feedback and somewhat "damp" tire is realistic for a GT-style slick, I'm not a race car driver. However, if it is realistic, then I'd be very happy of a tire manufacturer would make tire I can react faster to.

Oh, one last thing: Clipping. There is only one car so far and the FFB is clipping quite often even at a gain setting of 90.

I don’t know if any of you have tried Robo Recall in VR but that looks great, you do however need both sharpening AND SSAA to get good image quality.

The forced temporal aliasing UE4 uses because of how they have specular effects everywhere which looks terrible without it is gonna mean it needs a lot of juice.

To be fair though PCars 2 also has a lot of aliasing on the only AA settings I can run.

Cost me 82p after using steam wallet though not going to be back home until at least 9.30 though!
Is there a consensus on the best sharpening filter? GHG linked me to how SMS added a sharpening filter to Project Cars. Going off the variables, it's clearly the Luma Sharpen shader. Are they just using that because it's open source, or is that the best sharpening filter available in Reshade? There's quite a few different ones available these days.

EDIT: I've tried playing around with Luma Sharpen in Redout and it doesn't work. I have everything in the right folder. But it only affects my monitor. And I know it's actually working, because if I activate Super Depth 3D, it'll turn on things like SBS/OU 3D on my monitor. But it's only affecting the image on my monitor, not the signal sent to my Vive.

Last edited:
The initial impressions of the ACC FFB have me not as anxious to try it out, though Jimmy B seemed to like it and he has an OSW like me. I'll still buy it tonight but I'd still rather play Destiny 2 at the moment :p

The initial impressions of the ACC FFB have me not as anxious to try it out, though Jimmy B seemed to like it and he has an OSW like me. I'll still buy it tonight but I'd still rather play Destiny 2 at the moment :p
Don't gamermuscle and jimmy have the same type? Or are they on really different... idk, motors or encoders and so on?

Is there a consensus on the best sharpening filter? GHG linked me to how SMS added a sharpening filter to Project Cars. Going off the variables, it's clearly the Luma Sharpen shader. Are they just using that because it's open source, or is that the best sharpening filter available in Reshade? There's quite a few different ones available these days.

EDIT: I've tried playing around with Luma Sharpen in Redout and it doesn't work. I have everything in the right folder. But it only affects my monitor. And I know it's actually working, because if I activate Super Depth 3D, it'll turn on things like SBS/OU 3D on my monitor. But it's only affecting the image on my monitor, not the signal sent to my Vive.
I have no idea how to add it outside of included ingame options so can’t help you there.

Haven’t tried out ACC yet to comment on FFB but no offence to the youtubers as they have good material but that doesn’t make them any more qualified to comment on cars they’ve never driven let alone at pace than any other person.

What's everyone's cpu/gpu/resolution/average fps?

16 player field at night in the rain has my fps dipping below 60 with my ryzen / 1080.
I used my i7 6700k at 4GHz and 16 was a problem even in daylight. I can overclock to 4.4 without a problem, but yea... really a cpu killer so far. Without AI it's butter.

Jimmy has a large Mige and GM has a small. Think Jimmy's is newer and uses SimuCUBE and has a newer encoder as well.
Oh, ok, so there could be a decent difference. GamerMuscle said he'd prefer any other current sim's FFB over ACC's including R3E and pcars2, and he's quite the AC fanboy usually.

FFB feels pretty damn good to me so far. Just copied my SimuCUBE AC profile and am using it for ACC until I find some other settings to try. I'm only running in-game gain at 25 so no crazy forces but it feels good to me. I really like it so far though and it looks great while running like a top on my PC.

$20 at GMG? Can't say no to that.

If anyone is curious, my [email protected]/1080ti maintains 60fps with all graphical settings at max values (vsync off though), running at 3840x1620, 7pm starting at back of a 20 car grid. It dipped to 59fps twice on the opening lap to be fair, but that's an acceptable loss.

A bargain for $20, but I think I'll shelve this for a few months.

On the subject of RRRE for a moment, I love the little detail of the wipers vibrating at speed. Vibrating wipers may have been in other games before, but it's the first time I've noticed.

I tried AC again and deleted it after an hour again. So do the cars have default setups for any of the tracks? Im so understeery on all of the tracks in the game with any car I try, it doesnt seem like the cars are set up right at all. AMS, iRacing, stuff like that has built in default setups for the tracks. Is that not the case for AC?

On the subject of RRRE for a moment, I love the little detail of the wipers vibrating at speed. Vibrating wipers may have been in other games before, but it's the first time I've noticed.
It has come along way in a few years. The new damage modelling should be coming soon although RendR is pants compared with UE4.

I think my 1070 will struggle with all the bells and whistles on with ACC. Thankfully I hate post processing so I can switch most of it off.

I tried AC again and deleted it after an hour again. So do the cars have default setups for any of the tracks? Im so understeery on all of the tracks in the game with any car I try, it doesnt seem like the cars are set up right at all. AMS, iRacing, stuff like that has built in default setups for the tracks. Is that not the case for AC?
Original AC? No, the baseline setups for most cars are shit even down the the tire pressures being all wrong. You need to get your hands dirty with AC to have a good time IMO.

I used my i7 6700k at 4GHz and 16 was a problem even in daylight. I can overclock to 4.4 without a problem, but yea... really a cpu killer so far. Without AI it's butter.
Strange, it runs really well for me on my ancient i5 @ 4.6Ghz. The game seems to be more GPU limited than it is CPU limited when racing against AI. Only rain vs 20 AI at night brings my framerate below 50fps. I'm running all max apart from shadows, post processing and mirrors on high. 1080p with 105 resolution scale.

It has come along way in a few years. The new damage modelling should be coming soon although RendR is pants compared with UE4.

I think my 1070 will struggle with all the bells and whistles on with ACC. Thankfully I hate post processing so I can switch most of it off.
1070 is fine, especially with a bit of tweaking. I'm being massively bottlenecked with my stock 4670K (getting a ton of hitching with AI cars on screen), but was still getting like 80-100fps with a mix of high/epic at 1080p in hotlap mode (~60-70 in the sprint race, but again tons of hitching which made it almost unplayable).

First impressions are that I'm playing a blurry version of pCARS 2. Driving in the storm at 9:00 gave me a headache! Tweaking the effects and setting post-processing to Low helped.

$20 at GMG? Can't say no to that.

A bargain for $20, but I think I'll shelve this for a few months.
Same.

I've found that PP and Shadows are two of the heavier settings. If you want to gain FPS with little visual trade off then those are the two to turn down first.

Right had a quick go, not sure what’s going on with GM’s wheel but it felt absolutely fine to me.

That being said I run all my sims without any off the fake FFB effects which is perhaps what he is missing?

Got Simvibe up and running fine too so that was cool, needed a fair bit of smoothing on the AF to tame the harshness off the stock feel but felt great after that. I could only run about 8 or so laps though as my rig is to the left of the screen and it gives me neck ache looking over, got down to 1.59.6 on stock settings, 9am, full realism (no assists etc.).

Haven’t tried night or rain yet and only hot lapped, I’ll have to wait for VR next month to really dig in.

Why are they playing the game at 30FPS and with that ridiculous motion blur. Jesus.
I play with the motion blur on and don't find it "ridiculous", I actually quite like the implementation in this game. Like with a lot of graphical settings, it's personal preference. I turn it off for VR though, it's not needed there.

I don't fuck with 30fps in sim racing games though. But if someone wants to do that and they feel they have a better experience in doing so then more power to them.

My performance difference between Hotlap and Quick Race when I turned everything as low as possible:

Edit: Some further explanation/thoughts...
So, from a more or less constant 180fps in hotlap mode, the game stutters with 15 opponents (only 7 cars infront of me, no mirror) and suffers almost 50% average performance loss. If my CPU is not good enough for a 16 car grid, then there is zero hope for this coming to current gen consoles.

Last edited:
I play with the motion blur on and don't find it "ridiculous", I actually quite like the implementation in this game. Like with a lot of graphical settings, it's personal preference. I turn it off for VR though, it's not needed there.

I don't fuck with 30fps in sim racing games though. But if someone wants to do that and they feel they have a better experience in doing so then more power to them.
I think my surprise is more than a real driver would look at that and go, "Yup this feels good". I just can't imagine how that happens, lol. Motion blur in racing games ends up feeling like a cheap trick to create a sense of speed and for me at least, it never ever does. It just gives me a headache. ACC's might be technically proficient, but it still doesn't have any benefit to me personally.

Like yeah obviously if you enjoy it then cool.

I had all settings on epic with motion blur off as it isn't really needed at high framerates IMO. I really enjoyed the ~1 hour I had to drive last night. Think my fastest lap was a 1:58 something with the default setup.

Yeh my best lap in the hotlap mode last night was a low 1:58 on the default setup and that was with motion blur turned on ;)

Plenty more time in there though as that was with a few mistakes.

Can I convince you by saying taking off motion blur would give you six tenths?

I'm low 59s atm. Do you guys have fuel sim on?
I set everything to be as realistic as possible if there is an option for it. Tire wear, fuel consumption etc. Don't recall what I did when I was hot lapping though as I was just making laps.

I always run motion blur except in VR for obvious reasons and think it looks great. Same with FPS when people say it looks terrible, for me no motion blur can look off more often than on. I have turned it off in a few games though where it was literally just a cheap blur filter.

30fps I just can’t do though, honestly the motion resolution is so low at 30fps that everything just blurs together in motion. When the choice is 4K/30 vs 1080p/60 I’ll always go with the latter, 4K looks sharper until you move and then 30fps makes it look lower than 1080p.

On that note I played the FH4 demo, basically more of the same, I’m not sold but then I have MS reward credit that runs out next month and there is nothing else to buy! Messed around with 1080p HDR, 1080 SDR, 4K HDR and still undecided on HDR, the skies look fantastic with it on but I’m not convinced that’s because of HDR but rather the SDR downscaling isn’t very good. I really need more HDR testing ideally identical inputs I can switch between SDR and HDR as you can’t toggle it in anything I’ve tried!

The FFB "damping" issue now has the tag "working on it" on the ACC forums.

Right now, I don't feel the slightest urge to go back to ACC and got plenty of games from that "2 months for 2€" - Game Pass deal to play through in September and October.

I'm gonna call you lot the blurites. Heathens, all.
It's all about doing oval racing on a pancake monitor at 45fps with motion blur on.

The real resetera sim racing experience ;)

Are the default setups shit on ACC right now too or are they actually there
The default setups in ACC are actually really good. You get a stable setup (dry) , a loose setup (dry) and a wet setup. All are good starting points out of the box, I've not seen the need to tweak anything yet since I've managed to set decent times using the default setups.

It's all about doing oval racing on a pancake monitor at 45fps with motion blur on.

The real resetera sim racing experience ;)

The default setups in ACC are actually really good. You get a stable setup (dry) , a loose setup (dry) and a wet setup. All are good starting points out of the box, I've not seen the need to tweak anything yet since I've managed to set decent times using the default setups.
Oh thank god. I think I found the reason why I’ve just never been able to get into AC. I need some sort of default setup as a starting point.