PC Racing Sims |OT|

The Gran Turismo Sport Nordschleife is also quite different from the other laserscanned versions, wonder how that went down. Must have been a 2016 scan then or they changed it by hand in spots.

Pcars2 is supposed to be laserscanned too now, but if that's even true then I'd say they've just molten their pcars1 version with the AC/Forza5/R3E/iRacing laserscan data together.

I'm moving into a new condo with a wooden floor, my gaming chair is definitely going to roll backwards as I press the pedals. I didn't have this problem on my carpet.

Any tricks to prevent that from happening?

I didn't know about this before, but Miseluk is coming for rF2!Probably drove more laps there than any other AC circuit.
Even if you don't like the Nordschleife, these laser scanned versions are a sight to behold. You gotta have at least one!
I need to upgrade my brain's RAM first. I can store corner data for 17, but not 170! I'll probably end up purchasing it out of necessity for competition though.
I'm moving into a new condo with a wooden floor, my gaming chair is definitely going to roll backwards as I press the pedals. I didn't have this problem on my carpet.

Can you put a little square of carpet under your chair?

Your probably looking for an anti slip mat, or if your chair has coasters some of those cups that you place the castors in.

rFactor 2, announcements part 3 summary:

-Zandvoort coming this week
-Demo with McLaren too
-New lighting system with physical based rendering coming
-Night lighting is being updated
-Old mods, without the new lighting tech will still work
-No support for raytracing until it becomes a much wider used tech
-S397 will support rF2 for at least 3 to 4 years
-UI and competition system (official races with rating system) sometime between end of this year and end of Q1 2019
-Competition system will be league compatible
-Future tracks/cars will be endurance focused
-Working with racing teams on wet weather grip levels... focusing on the racing line being too grippy.
-Live weather integration (I think... my son distracted me during this bit)
-Motec coming
-No more off road stuff
-No changes to AI (booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo)

Last edited:
Some really big news items then for rF2. Thanks marvelharvey for the update.

The new shaders:

Thanks too Big Takeover for the rF2 details on the Nurburgring laser scan. Very good for S397 to have the latest scan available for their sim.

Also mucked about with the r.Tonemapper.Sharpen and settled on 1 as 2 washes out the colour too much. The other option is to use the resolution scale and up the settings to between 120-150 and turn down other settings.

Last edited:
Does this mean I'll be able to race against the AI without a sub considering I've already bought half the cars and tracks...?
I don't think you'll ever be able to do much without a sub, but it certainly adds value (how much depends on you) to that sub. My expectation is that it will be the best AI on the market (eventually if not immediately), so it should be pretty compelling for people who want it.

I don't think you'll ever be able to do much without a sub, but it certainly adds value (how much depends on you) to that sub. My expectation is that it will be the best AI on the market (eventually if not immediately), so it should be pretty compelling for people who want it.
That would be silly of them. Lots of people would gladly buy all the content if they could play offline against the AI (provided the AI is competent).

They have some of the best tracks in the business.

That would be silly of them. Lots of people would gladly buy all the content if they could play offline against the AI (provided the AI is competent).

They have some of the best tracks in the business.
If you've got your wallet open for all the content, the cost of a sub isn't going to make anyone blink ;-)

They've never wavered from their business model of selling subs and content. Why should they really since it's worked for them for 10 years? I'm sure a no-sub, AI-only account would prove very popular, but instead AI is being used to add value to the sub.

I think that's the right way to position it, personally. AI is already divisive enough within the community. I don't think existing folks would be super-excited to see iRacing extend a teet outright for AI fans to suck on, rather than continuing to cultivate the best way to enjoying sim racing which is online. I'm sure there will be people that will use the AI more than race online anyway, but I think the hope is they'll be able to improve their skills offline, and be better online racers because of it. If it's an offline account, they'll likely never contribute to a good online community, and importantly to iRacing, never pay for a sub.

Another one:

Last edited:
rF2 News:

• Still developing graphics engine that has been going on for 4 months and are currently 50% through development (graphics and graphical improvements)
  • New lighting system (ambient lighting already implemented), so now working on new shaders
  • They have made new car shaders on the new lighting models (physical base rendering)
  • currently car shaders have been done but now need to work on road, car and other material shaders
  • shaders on different layers now possible (so now metallic and two-tone paint possible as well as different materials being able to be reflected correctly) - up to 6 different materials can now be represented on the car body creating diversity and realism of car representations
  • It's WIP and 3-4months away from being released
  • Night lighting adjustments being implemented too - with the new material system cars won't look so flat & night 'reflectivity' being looked at
  • No implementation of Nvidia's RTX at this stage of the products cycle
  • Bluish tint from rF2 will be gone
  • Rough reflections will be possible
  • UI & Competition System in HTML creates a host of (online) features and opportunities for leagues, for e.g., allowing another player to step in and change your settings, and you head out and try it at your end (a team experience)
  • Competition - there will be a match-making system. Scoring system. Different types of events. A system with a ladder of progression. Official races available every day. Will open it up for leagues.
  • A new collision system is not being considered
  • Overlays will be based on HTML and will arrive with the new UI (end of Q4 2018 - end of Q1 2019)
  • Shadow improvements are possible with new techniques & are looking at improving
  • Dynamic clouds can be tweaked to improve on what rf2, 'not a lot, but a bit better'
  • Dynamic track temperature will be implemented but have to make sure all content is playable as many mods have been made with one temperature for the tyre in mind.
  • Once real data is received (in a few months) from wet racing from one of the teams, wet grip will be adjusted.
  • Zandvoort will be released this week with all layouts, night lighting, rain effects - so a 1.0 release
  • Live weather will be implemented
Taken from: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-update-august-2018.61068/page-14#post-960513

I use 'SHQM HUD Edited by Yotch', found on the workshop. Perfect for VR, as it centralises the various UI elements. Only thing I dislike is the pitlane speed limiter text.
Cheers, I grabbed it from there, looks nice and clean. Still no pedal input overlay though (in any of the huds I've tried), but I'll live with it.

RF2 as a whole seems to have come on a decent amount since I last played it (about 3 months ago). Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but performance seems to be better?

RF2 as a whole seems to have come on a decent amount since I last played it (about 3 months ago). Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but performance seems to be better?
rF2 has some more general performance improvements however S397 need to work on the optimisation of their releases - the GT3 pack runs like crap compared to the ISI cars whereas the Endurance DLC was more in-line with the ISI releases.

An aside - rF2 remains my close second favourite sim behind R3E despite the shortcomings and flaws of both sims. As a community, we are so lucky to have so many great sims to play irrespective of what each of us subjectively think.

An aside - rF2 remains my close second favourite sim behind R3E despite the shortcomings and flaws of both sims. As a community, we are so lucky to have so many great sims to play irrespective of what each of us subjectively think.
Are there any other gaming niches where software quality is so high across the board as sim racing?
  • Despite what people think of rF2's graphics/UI, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of iRacing's tyre/pricing, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of AC's physics/AI, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of AMS's aging tech, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of R3E's business model, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of PC2, err... it's the exception the proves the rule! I jest, it's pretty good.
Are all fighting games good? Are all city builders good? Are all turn based strategy games good? I'm gonna say no.

However, I do have a negative for sim racing, and that's the sunk-cost-fallacy cost of sim equipment. I'll be sitting in front of my TV, enjoying a $10 Switch indie game and my brain will start saying "Think of how expensive all your rig was! Shouldn't you be racing instead of wasting your time with this $10 game?" and I soon find myself back at my rig. It's creating quite the backlog.

I think that's the right way to position it, personally. AI is already divisive enough within the community. I don't think existing folks would be super-excited to see iRacing extend a teet outright for AI fans to suck on, rather than continuing to cultivate the best way to enjoying sim racing which is online. I'm sure there will be people that will use the AI more than race online anyway, but I think the hope is they'll be able to improve their skills offline, and be better online racers because of it.
I have sincere doubts whether even the best AI will improve people's behaviour in online racing, but we'll see.

Are there any other gaming niches where software quality is so high across the board as sim racing?
  • Despite what people think of rF2's graphics/UI, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of iRacing's tyre/pricing, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of AC's physics/AI, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of AMS's aging tech, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of R3E's business model, it's a high quality sim
  • Despite what people think of PC2, err... it's the exception the proves the rule! I jest, it's pretty good.
Are all fighting games good? Are all city builders good? Are all turn based strategy games good? I'm gonna say no.

However, I do have a negative for sim racing, and that's the sunk-cost-fallacy cost of sim equipment. I'll be sitting in front of my TV, enjoying a $10 Switch indie game and my brain will start saying "Think of how expensive all your rig was! Shouldn't you be racing instead of wasting your time with this $10 game?" and I soon find myself back at my rig. It's creating quite the backlog.
Pfff...what a fence sitter

:)

Latest twerk..I mean tweak for ACC:

[SystemSettings]
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=2
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.2
r.TemporalAASamples=32
r.TemporalAASharpness=0.8
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1

From the official forums :)

Latest Build Update rFactor 2 - 1.1111 Now Available!

Steam Build IDs
client: 3118567
dedi: 3118570
demo: 3118587

Changelog:
- Added full support for auto-shift as a parameter in the UI garage setup screen (McLaren MP4/8)
- Demo has been updated to the current build and now includes the McLaren MP4/8

marvelharvey TJP

What are the most optimised tracks in RF2 for VR? I'm trying to figure out what I should try first without getting disheartened with performance.
I'm not sure which is the lightest on GPU, just that Matsusaka and Sebing are usually the most resource heavy. If I can get rF2 to run at a consistent framerate at 8pm around Sebring, I know I can now visit any track and not have to worry about framerates.

That McLaren M23.....oh fk yes,what a blast that car is!

Do yourself a massive favour, have a race around Sebring with the M23, Brabham BT44B and the March 761 ....you can thank me later for the big grin you'll have on your face. :)

Last edited:
Ok refunded ACC and then rebought it for £17.50 on the Razer store since I had some silver coin nonsense which gave a £5 discount and there was nothing else to buy. Conveniently the £22.49 I got refunded is the cost of Sebring and the Endurance Pack in rF2....

Had another quick go on ACC this time hotlap Mode and it’s definitely faster there, did a few scrappy laps and got down to 1.57.7.

Now I’ll just wait until the VR update as I hate Nurburgring on a flatscreen because off all the basically blind apex’s that are off screen and looking right at the screen gives me too much neck ache to do a race stint.

That McLaren M23.....oh fk yes,what a blast that car is!

Do yourself a massive favour, have a race around Sebring with the M23, Brabham BT44B and the March 761 ....you can thank me later for the big grin you'll have on your face. :)
Indeed.

We need the older flowing tracks to go with the cars of the same era.

Ok refunded ACC and then rebought it for £17.50 on the Razer store since I had some silver coin nonsense which gave a £5 discount and there was nothing else to buy. Conveniently the £22.49 I got refunded is the cost of Sebring and the Endurance Pack in rF2....

Had another quick go on ACC this time hotlap Mode and it’s definitely faster there, did a few scrappy laps and got down to 1.57.7.

Now I’ll just wait until the VR update as I hate Nurburgring on a flatscreen because off all the basically blind apex’s that are off screen and looking right at the screen gives me too much neck ache to do a race stint.
Also did a 1:57.7 on Sunday and even though I'm the probably least VR interested guy here, I agree with the Apex visibility. It's pretty shit in multiple corners. Lamborghini A-pillar.

Btw hotlap mode is easier because the tire temps reset to 80 celsius every lap that's hotter than the race start tire blankets. Probably some ideal track conditions stuff helping too.

hi!
does anyone here have knowledge on Fanatec wheels? I'm trying to figure out why the "soft" rotation limiter on my CSW v1 has stopped working, but I can't find info on that on the internets.
The issue is that whatever the SEN setting I use (or in game setting), I can feel that the limit is set, the wheel has a small "bump" feeling at where the limit should be, but I can rotate past it, and no resistance is applied anymore (the wheel gets loose beyond the set limit). I am exchanging e-mails with Fanatec support but it's been slow... I have no warranty (almost 5yo set), and I can't send my wheel to the US (from Brazil) for repairs because it would probably cost more than a new one.
So right now I am trying to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.
Any clues?

EDIT: downgrading the driver to 292 + fw 310 solved the issue. They replied saying that they found a bug in post 310 firmwares for the CSW v1.

Last edited:
Also did a 1:57.7 on Sunday and even though I'm the probably least VR interested guy here, I agree with the Apex visibility. It's pretty shit in multiple corners. Lamborghini A-pillar.

Btw hotlap mode is easier because the tire temps reset to 80 celsius every lap that's hotter than the race start tire blankets. Probably some ideal track conditions stuff helping too.
I could go back to hood cam as I definitely had a drop off in pace when I switched to cockpit but I’m all about immersion and realism these days just like only using an H-shifter if that’s how the car is supposed to be driven even though I’m slower again.

VR definitely helped to bring back some of that speed, half tempted to just play it in bigscreen beta (virtual giant desktop) like I do with Forza 7 and AMS, only reason I haven’t bothered yet is because I’d expect unplayablely low framerates.

How the heck are people getting 1:52's in ACC's hotlap? I'm at a 57.1 and can only really imagine myself improving with the default setup a second at most. I can't see how I'd get another 4 seconds from setup.

How the heck are people getting 1:52's in ACC's hotlap? I'm at a 57.1 and can only really imagine myself improving with the default setup a second at most. I can't see how I'd get another 4 seconds from setup.
You answered it yourself, it's setups. And talent of course. But a setup that suits you can make a huge difference.

I really need to learn setups I still don't have a clue beyond the basic stuff for the most part.

Cheers for the info guys. Seems a bit more complicated than I would have hoped. Raceroom is still the most streamlined when it comes to this stuff.

You answered it yourself, it's setups. And talent of course. But a setup that suits you can make a huge difference.

I really need to learn setups I still don't have a clue beyond the basic stuff for the most part.
I haven't touched them at all in ACC so maybe I'd get more than I think but I'm just not seeing it. Gotta try harder I guess.

I haven't touched them at all in ACC so maybe I'd get more than I think but I'm just not seeing it. Gotta try harder I guess.
In the right hands a setup can absolutely be worth 3-4 seconds a lap around a track as long as Nurb GP. The way you've got to see it is if you can gain 0.25s per corner or straight (dependant on how you're looking to set the car up) how much difference could that potentially help your time?

I was hoping for ACC to not have the stuttering I have with AC... I was wrong.
I tried all solutions I found, but never got AC to work flawless again. Benchmark runs smoothly, but when there's FFB involved (I think), the game skips frames randomly.

And I really would like to try the DLCs and the tracks Mascot posts here :P

You mustn't forget that setups can not only change the balance of a car to better suit your driving style, but also the overall grip - sometimes with tradeoffs, but sometimes even without tradeoffs.

Stiffer ARB for example means reduced grip because of tire load sensitivity (it's veery little, don't worry about it). There will probably be lots of secrets left with the new downforce, springs, bumpstops and dampers that we've never experienced in other sims before (and that might be still wrong or even exploitible).

I was hoping for ACC to not have the stuttering I have with AC... I was wrong.
I tried all solutions I found, but never got AC to work flawless again. Benchmark runs smoothly, but when there's FFB involved (I think), the game skips frames randomly.

And I really would like to try the DLCs and the tracks Mascot posts here :P
If you really think it's the FFB tat reduces the performance in AC, try FFB skip steps = 4 and check your CPU load in the in-game app. If that helped, reduce it it to 3 and 2 again to see what's still stutter free.