PC Racing Sims |OT|

If you really think it's the FFB tat reduces the performance in AC, try FFB skip steps = 4 and check your CPU load in the in-game app. If that helped, reduce it it to 3 and 2 again to see what's still stutter free.
By CPU load you mean PHYS? I didn't see it get past 7%, but I get PHYS_LATE when there's stutter. CPU is an i7-4770K, vga is GTX1080Ti.
I tried ffb skip steps 4 and it did not seem to help much... but I'll play with it some more later.

Thanks for the suggestions!

By CPU load you mean PHYS? I didn't see it get past 7%, but I get PHYS_LATE when there's stutter. CPU is an i7-4770K, vga is GTX1080Ti.
I tried ffb skip steps 4 and it did not seem to help much... but I'll play with it some more later.

Thanks for the suggestions!
With your CPU, you should have no trouble from FFB calculations and transfer.

This is the Kunos patch note I was referring to about CPU and Skip_Steps:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/kunos-assetto-corsa-cpu-occupancy-99-warning-advice.131882/

I think, I have another interesting thread for you at AssettoCorsa.net:
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/graphics-not-smooth-stuttering.50483/page-4

Not sure if it helps you, but it's the best I can do. Sorry.

With your CPU, you should have no trouble from FFB calculations and transfer.

This is the Kunos patch note I was referring to about CPU and Skip_Steps:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/kunos-assetto-corsa-cpu-occupancy-99-warning-advice.131882/
Ah yes, I did read that thread.
I think, I have another interesting thread for you at AssettoCorsa.net:
https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/graphics-not-smooth-stuttering.50483/page-4

Not sure if it helps you, but it's the best I can do. Sorry.
The issue in this thread seems to be exactly what I have. Thanks!

Any of you guys getting the new 20 series nvidia cards?

I'm trying to find VR benchmarks but no luck so far.
From what I gather a 2080 is the same as a 1080Ti for normal gaming and the RTX is too slow on it with DLSS being its only useful added feature.

The 2080Ti is 30% faster but that’s still not going to be enough to max PCars 2 with some supersampling or ACC I suspect.

The cards after these will be the ones to get IMO.

Any of you guys getting the new 20 series nvidia cards?

I'm trying to find VR benchmarks but no luck so far.
No benchmarks that I know of. There were some updates to VR related technologies but not sure how much of an impact these will have and except for the audio thing seems to be targeted at the next gen of headsets.

Bear in mind I'm still on a 980ti guys...

Either of the two new cards would represent a significant upgrade for me.

I'm interested to see if DLSS works in VR. It could be a big deal if it does.

It depends a lot on how it effects the image quality. What looks good on a monitor or tv from a distance is very different to what looks good on screens right in front of your eyes, like those digital foundry articles where they zoom in on areas to show differences it’s much more obvious.

With current headsets though rendering resolution isn’t such a big deal, once we get foveated rendering which will be used by every VR dev then that problem is solved.

Might be worth watching this..

From the comments...

4K performance (via techpowerup):
780 Ti --> 980 Ti = 30% Improvement
980 Ti --> 1080 Ti = 44% Improvement
1080 Ti --> 2080 Ti = 28% Improvement

Prices:
780 Ti $699
980 Ti $649
1080 Ti $699
2080 Ti $1,200

Nvidia are taking the piss and people are lapping it up.

rF2 Free DLC 'review'
The video author already knows the frame rate dips; welcome to rF2 where optimisation is on the WIP list.

Last edited:
Might be worth watching this..

From the comments...

4K performance (via techpowerup):
780 Ti --> 980 Ti = 30% Improvement
980 Ti --> 1080 Ti = 44% Improvement
1080 Ti --> 2080 Ti = 28% Improvement

Prices:
780 Ti $699
980 Ti $649
1080 Ti $699
2080 Ti $1,200

Nvidia are taking the piss and people are lapping it up.
They are taking the piss because they can... I mean if you want to improve you're performance what other options do you have? AMD don't give a shit, they are making bank from consoles.

They are taking the piss because they can... I mean if you want to improve you're performance what other options do you have? AMD don't give a shit, they are making bank from consoles.
AMD do give a shit but they do not have the resources to compete in the GPU market which is a shame.

Linus points out people preordered 20XX series cards with zero performance data and a huge hike in price. Nvidia will charge what the market will bear; Apple product launches prove time and again consumers are fuckwits and charge their cultists accordingly. Apparently Nvidia see themselves in the same light as Apple.

Consoles do not make AMD as much as people think; Ryzen CPU's and rebadged GPU's at discount prices keep AMD afloat.

i'd buy a 1080Ti and pocket the difference and wait for ray tracing to become more mainstream and for better GPU's to hit the market in 12-24 months. Hopefully AMD get their shit together during this time and build on their Vega 64 GPU. I'd suspect new consoles by then too.

I have never bought an AMD card but after the shit Nvidia pulled with the 20XX series, I'd be happy to if the performance is near enough to Nvidia.

Last edited:
A bunch of deals on chrono.gg at the moment:

ACC - $18.99
AC - $9.99
Project Cars 2 - $14.99
Dirt Rally - $9.50
Automobilista - $6

https://www.chrono.gg/

I think I'll try Automobilista again at that price... can't say no really.
Some damn fine savings to be had! AMS for $6 is mental..gMotor 2 is older than Jesus but the FFB and physics make up for the lack of eye candy. Team VR are shit out of luck too.

A bunch of deals on chrono.gg at the moment:

ACC - $18.99
AC - $9.99
Project Cars 2 - $14.99
Dirt Rally - $9.50
Automobilista - $6

https://www.chrono.gg/

I think I'll try Automobilista again at that price... can't say no really.
Thanks for sharing, I grabbed Automobilista and Dirt. They've both been on my Steam Wishlist for a while now. Hopefully RF2 goes on sale with chrono this week.

AMD do give a shit but they do not have the resources to compete in the GPU market which is a shame.

Linus points out people preordered 20XX series cards with zero performance data and a huge hike in price. Nvidia will charge what the market will bear; Apple product launches prove time and again consumers are fuckwits and charge their cultists accordingly. Apparently Nvidia see themselves in the same light as Apple.

Consoles do not make AMD as much as people think; Ryzen CPU's and rebadged GPU's at discount prices keep AMD afloat.

i'd buy a 1080Ti and pocket the difference and wait for ray tracing to become more mainstream and for better GPU's to hit the market in 12-24 months. Hopefully AMD get their shit together during this time and build on their Vega 64 GPU. I'd suspect new consoles by then too.

I have never bought an AMD card but after the shit Nvidia pulled with the 20XX series, I'd be happy to if the performance is near enough to Nvidia.
Agreed, who knows maybe even the Intel GPU will mix things up but then it is Intel so their pricing won’t be any better than Nvidia!

On a more positive not I’ve decided to hold off on the Fanatec Podium range at least until next year and get some new magnetic shifters for the stock button box instead.

These are the puppies:

Brand new for £105 from a guy I got my LMP rim from who was selling up all his kit and still had them sat in a box.

Once I’ve got a new sub, NAS system to backup all my Blurays so I don’t need to mess around with discs or opening my AV cabinet to put said discs into the player (not lazy just convenient!) and an NLRV3 motion platform then I’ll reassess after the summer next year most likely. I’ll be looking at whether I need a new wheel and/or PC at that point and if there are any new full next-gen VR headsets.

Last edited:

Yeah. AMD has been an absolute disaster this past decade. The fact they're still in existence is a minor miracle. It's not like they're just pocketing that console money and laughing as they count their money bags.

They finally got their shit together with Ryzen. Hopefully they can do the same with Navi. They don't need to be the best, they just need to be in the same area code and then compete on value in the mid-range silicon department.

It definitely saddens me to see some of the rabid fanaticism around Nvidia and what that cultist approach has done to pricing. Especially since a lot of PC gamers like to mock console gamers for corporate logo cheer-leading. The cult of Nvidia is pretty close IMO.

GHG and DrPenguin , once you got around to putting in a few hours into AMS, I'd love to read some of you guys' opinions or an LTTP-ish post.
Not trying to push you, I know these months are full of games, just letting you know, I'm interested.
I actually bought it before during a steam sale then refunded it... my thoughts at the time are here:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/9767470/

I'll dig in again this week at some point, hoping my experience is a lot better this time around. If it's not then no harm done, it's just $6.

GHG and DrPenguin , once you got around to putting in a few hours into AMS, I'd love to read some of you guys' opinions or an LTTP-ish post.
Not trying to push you, I know these months are full of games, just letting you know, I'm interested.
For sure! So far I've only spent ~30 mins driving and most of that was doing a few laps, then backing out to adjust FFB, etc. I'll likely play a bit more this week. The UI is going to take some getting used to haha.

I actually bought it before during a steam sale then refunded it... my thoughts at the time are here:

https://www.resetera.com/posts/9767470/

I'll dig in again this week at some point, hoping my experience is a lot better this time around. If it's not then no harm done, it's just $6.
HOW did I miss that. Sorry for it.

Also, I'm always forgetting how different the AMS experience must be without the Season Pass DLCs.

For sure! So far I've only spent ~30 mins driving and most of that was doing a few laps, then backing out to adjust FFB, etc. I'll likely play a bit more this week. The UI is going to take some getting used to haha.
If you liked the Assetto FFB post processing Gamma, try low force boost (same function, but inverted scale, closer to 1 is stronger here).
You can also change what is usually called Gain for each car without a limit in the realfeelplugin ini. Lower values of MaxForceAtSteeringRack make the forces stronger.

I also picked up AMS for $6.

My initial impressions are that I really enjoy how it handles, I wish I could turn down kerb/road hit effects but the FFB feels nice to me and pushing a car slightly beyond its' limit is fun and rewarding, unlike say iRacing where I never felt good pushing too hard. The UI and HUD is workable if not great, it's certainly better than rF2. The biggest issue I've found is that the tracks seem a little lacking. I'm guessing they're not laser scanned or anything because something feels off about some of the turns I'm used to in other games.

I like the fact that it's made up of mostly tracks I've never driven before but also I don't think any of them are standouts, especially for someone like me who enjoys formula cars more than the closed top stuff.

Haven't messed around with the AI much yet but I like the fact that when you exit the pits on cold tyres, a) the tyres actually feel cold! and b) the game recognises that you are on a lap out of the pits and suggests you move out of the way for faster cars on hotlaps.

So yeah, if there's a way I can turn down some of the kerb and road effects like in AC, I could see myself playing more of it. Initial feeling of handling/FFB is really nice.

I also picked up AMS for $6.

My initial impressions are that I really enjoy how it handles, I wish I could turn down kerb/road hit effects but the FFB feels nice to me and pushing a car slightly beyond its' limit is fun and rewarding, unlike say iRacing where I never felt good pushing too hard. The UI and HUD is workable if not great, it's certainly better than rF2. The biggest issue I've found is that the tracks seem a little lacking. I'm guessing they're not laser scanned or anything because something feels off about some of the turns I'm used to in other games.

I like the fact that it's made up of mostly tracks I've never driven before but also I don't think any of them are standouts, especially for someone like me who enjoys formula cars more than the closed top stuff.

Haven't messed around with the AI much yet but I like the fact that when you exit the pits on cold tyres, a) the tyres actually feel cold! and b) the game recognises that you are on a lap out of the pits and suggests you move out of the way for faster cars on hotlaps.

So yeah, if there's a way I can turn down some of the kerb and road effects like in AC, I could see myself playing more of it. Initial feeling of handling/FFB is really nice.
All the FFB is Realfeelplugin derived (that magic thingy from rF1) and I don't think they use filters for certain amplitudes or frequencies. You could increase the smoothing in the RealFeelPlugin.ini for each car and feel less curb "jerk" strength, but it would also numb the normal road feel.

About the tracks. I never noticed any unusual differences from other games, except for DLC tracks like laserscanned Oulton Park, that feels way better than those Assetto Corsa mods and also much better than the Project CARS version that is also laserscanned and used to be the go-to track suggestion from FFB-modders for trying out new settings in pCARS1 - which is even weirder because it's not only the micro-bumps that feels better but also the macro "wavy-ness". But IIRC you are right that all non-DLC tracks are not laserscanned.

About the out lap: The game tells YOU to let other pass, but when an AI car comes out of the pits in a race, they directly sweep over to the ideal line and don't recognize the player car when it's on the same level.

Can I ask you what track(s) seemed off to you compared with what other game's version? Don't worry, I won't go on a defense tirade or anything, just curious what I might have missed. There aren't that many none-DLC tracks in AMS that are laserscanned in other games to begin with. Seems like you could only be talking about Interlagos or off-brand Suzuka / Kansai (edit: Ah! I forgot about Spielberg, must be that one then, right?).

It was mostly Montreal, Spielberg and to an extent, Interlagos. My issue with them is that a few of the turns feel like they have.. how do I describe this.. a lower radius or something? at least, compared to what I'm used to. Same thing goes for one of the very tight turns on Interlagos' infield section. A couple of chicanes at Montreal are another example where it just doesn't match my expectations and I find myself having to take them much slower and tighter than in other sims I've played. Doesn't mean that's better or worse, it just feels different. It may also be an FOV thing where I'm not perceiving the corner correctly? I'm not sure.

That's a shame about the AI not respecting things. Like I say I haven't really touched the AI racing yet. I've only seen them in practice sessions.

Didn't realise there was a fake Suzuka, will have a look at that.

It was mostly Montreal, Spielberg and to an extent, Interlagos. My issue with them is that a few of the turns feel like they have.. how do I describe this.. a lower radius or something? at least, compared to what I'm used to. Same thing goes for one of the very tight turns on Interlagos' infield section. A couple of chicanes at Montreal are another example where it just doesn't match my expectations and I find myself having to take them much slower and tighter than in other sims I've played. Doesn't mean that's better or worse, it just feels different. It may also be an FOV thing where I'm not perceiving the corner correctly? I'm not sure.

That's a shame about the AI not respecting things. Like I say I haven't really touched the AI racing yet. I've only seen them in practice sessions.

Didn't realise there was a fake Suzuka, will have a look at that.
Montreal, right, forgot about that one too (hate that track, I wouldn't know if anything is off). At Interlagos I'd say it's an FOV or camera issue for sure, they wouldn't get that track that wrong. Have you calculated your FOV to get the same as in other games? (also: Check out historic Interlagos, it's awesome)
I think the AI is really good overall actually (my benchmark is multi-class racing and how they overtake me and each other). A little too good for simulating an amateur racing event in my opinion, but it's stupid to fault the AI routines for being good racers I guess.

My FOV is set very similar (low 40s iirc) to other racing sims which is why it was the second theory on my list and not the first, haha.

It might be a seat position thing in game, maybe, that's colouring how I see my FOV and such.

Like it's not a real problem, I can get used to it, but it just doesn't feel right because I'm not acclimatised.

My FOV is set very similar (low 40s iirc) to other racing sims which is why it was the second theory on my list and not the first, haha.

It might be a seat position thing in game, maybe, that's colouring how I see my FOV and such.

Like it's not a real problem, I can get used to it, but it just doesn't feel right because I'm not acclimatised.
They do some subtle non-standard camera stuff. Head tilt, look-into corner etc., maybe that's it more than the seat position.
And while you have option sliders for those things, to me it seems to be set on a per-car basis that we don't have access to. The F-Trainer (Off-Brand F1600) series from the Brit Pack DLC seems to use camera tilt to exaggerate yaw much stronger than other cars (it's good there though, the faster corners at Spielberg for example are awesome with that, I should make a gif some day)

I'll check those options out, good to know.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Any mods, critical settings, etc? I played some more this evening with the F3 cars and had a lot of fun. Really dig how it handles.

I think this here is the best FFB tip I can give:
[...]
try low force boost [...].
You can also change what is usually called Gain for each car without a limit in the realfeelplugin ini. Lower values of MaxForceAtSteeringRack make the forces stronger.
Maybe try something that seems outrageously high like 50% low force boost for your F3 car, see if you like it.

Hmm, anything else you need to be aware of...? :// :\\ ://
They introduced SweetFX options in the launcher months after release and personally I didn't like the new default, because it changed the feel/color/glow of my favorite sun position (17:00-17:30) in the game and I use the "L1 Legacy Original" SweetFX option in the launcher now along with all the AA possible. Try that time of day for a private practice session maybe, it's a nice lonely vibe.

My favorite car/track combos are basically all from DLC, I'm afraid. But thinking about it, maybe try...
- Formula Reiza at Guapore
- Formula Vintage at Cascavel
- Mini Challenge in , ok: In the starting menu where you select the series, choose "All cars and tracks", then go to "Test Day", pick the Mini and the track Salvador and add opponents like the Camaro, the Lancers, 80s Opala Stock Cars to simulate a track day. (also very fun at night, this track) [edit: private testing on the right side in that same screen must be turned to off, I think it's on by default when you don't select a racing series directly]

I have 4 mod cars and lots of mod tracks installed and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone! You can still have fun with the tracks, but you mustn'nt expect them to be accurate. With the mod cars I've found some "very off" things with everything I've tried so far (which is probably not more than 7 anyway).

I reinstalled AC.. it's so confusing trying to figure out what was deleted and what I need to set up again. Should never have uninstalled. I'm sorry Mr Kunos.

I'll check those options out, good to know.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Any mods, critical settings, etc? I played some more this evening with the F3 cars and had a lot of fun. Really dig how it handles.
Just embrace the content. I think it's human nature to gravitate to cars and tracks you may know, but AMS does a terrific job of surprising you with amazing car/track combos if you take the time to explore. It's one of the best things about the sim, imo.

The season pass has a lot of great content too, so pick that up if you ever see it on sale.

What great taste you have. That's my go to AMS car/track combo too!

I can also be found at Taruma.
Haha, nice!

I think I like it because the track is demanding enough of the F3's downforce to where the car feels like it juuuuuuust gets through some of the fast turns, and it asks you to push harder. The left hander that goes into a dip and then rises uphill is really fun as well, if the car bottoms out (I think that's what's happening), then you're toast.

What great taste you have. That's my go to AMS car/track combo too!

I can also be found at Taruma.
I live near Tarumã (and Velopark), and it's a cool track. Too bad it's not very well maintained nowadays. Another administration just started, but the Brazilian Stock Car has just announced that it won't race there in 2019 due to security reasons, so I don't see this condition getting better anytime soon. Regional events are probably not enough to get it back in shape.

I stole this from another thread:

118,410 ... at MAX ??

thought it would be closer to 400,000. Complete surprise to me honestly.
Agree... this seems too low.

I live near Tarumã (and Velopark), and it's a cool track. Too bad it's not very well maintained nowadays. Another administration just started, but the Brazilian Stock Car has just announced that it won't race there in 2019 due to security reasons, so I don't see this condition getting better anytime soon. Regional events are probably not enough to get it back in shape.
That's such a shame. Seems like a great racing track!

My favorite car/track combos are basically all from DLC, I'm afraid. But thinking about it, maybe try...
- Formula Reiza at Guapore
- Formula Vintage at Cascavel
- Mini Challenge in , ok: In the starting menu where you select the series, choose "All cars and tracks", then go to "Test Day", pick the Mini and the track Salvador and add opponents like the Camaro, the Lancers, 80s Opala Stock Cars to simulate a track day. (also very fun at night, this track) [edit: private testing on the right side in that same screen must be turned to off, I think it's on by default when you don't select a racing series directly]

I have 4 mod cars and lots of mod tracks installed and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone! You can still have fun with the tracks, but you mustn'nt expect them to be accurate. With the mod cars I've found some "very off" things with everything I've tried so far (which is probably not more than 7 anyway).
I'll try these track/car combos today and let you know what I think :)

If I don't like it I'm going straight back to raceroom.