Pokémon Go |OT| Tap those mons!

Is there actually any logical reason why they haven't increased the level cap yet?
What would really be the point of raising the level cap? What would they gate behind it?

It takes forever to get to 40 as is. It's taken me a month to go from 25 to 32. The game still builds up XP even when you hit 40 as well, so all the hardcore players would be 50 immediately. It would just be something to push them further ahead of everyone else.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Well, they could and should do what they did in ingress, place level increases behind medals. The'd need to add Platinum and Black style medals too. Would make it much more challenging and rewarding. And it also make so those hardcore enough won't get an instant jump (but obviously, they have a head start)

To be fair, not everyone has the weekend off.

I do think it's silly the way ex passes have a time and date requirement though. At the very least, they could make it so that anyone with an ex pass should be able to join any ex raid on that day so people who are working can go to somewhere either around them or organize something after work.
I'm off on weekends but that subsequently means I'm usually out of town on weekends. Weekday EX raids work better for me for the most part, and I just shift my lunch break around to work it in. It also means I purposefully only raid EX raid gyms that at near work.

I noticed that two new pokestops popped up on the side of town that didn't really need extras. There's already a huge density of pokestops over there while there's nothing on this side of town. It's really annoying too because I know of at least several spots around here that would make for decent pokestops, but for whatever reason we never get any. From where I live, it's about a 40 minute walk to get to a pokestop and then about 50 to 60 minutes to reach an area with decent pokestop density. I don't mind the walk, but it's hard to play Go casually when you have to set aside three to four hours to stock up on pokeballs and the like. When me and my little sister play Go, we tend to make a day out of it, but it would be easier to play daily if we actually had some stops to spin closer to home.

Well, they could and should do what they did in ingress, place level increases behind medals. The'd need to add Platinum and Black style medals too. Would make it much more challenging and rewarding. And it also make so those hardcore enough won't get an instant jump (but obviously, they have a head start)
Challenging? I'm not sure if I would describe this game as challenging as almost all actions boil down to luck and grinding. Doing nice, great, and excellent curveball throws are about the only challenging skillful action in the game. I guess there's also dodging during gym battles, but does anyone do that?

I think there's certainly strategy, though, when it comes down to team and move composition, but it's not really challenging as all that stuff has been mapped out by others online.

I think adding more levels to players or medals really just adds more accomplishment to those who have played the game longer.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Yeah, the current medals really lack in challenge. Except for Ace Training. :P

Ingress on other hand has complex and challenging medals. Though, the game there was made for the complicity and strategy

The spawn decay for the Kanto event was really glaring, the first few days was exciting seeing Lapras and Chanseys at every corner then it was just a bunch of doduos and rats. They made it so boring that I am glad I get to see Snubbulls again...

I'm off on weekends but that subsequently means I'm usually out of town on weekends. Weekday EX raids work better for me for the most part, and I just shift my lunch break around to work it in. It also means I purposefully only raid EX raid gyms that at near work.
It could be smarter for them to just give ex raids based on when players play. Like why do I get a midweek raid when I earned it on Saturday

What would really be the point of raising the level cap? What would they gate behind it?

It takes forever to get to 40 as is. It's taken me a month to go from 25 to 32. The game still builds up XP even when you hit 40 as well, so all the hardcore players would be 50 immediately. It would just be something to push them further ahead of everyone else.
Trainer levels are exponential so to be lvl. 50 you'd have to have 125+ million XP depending how much they want to throw the curve. I'm currently just below 36 million. It'd be something to build towards to. There's no endgame for lvl. 40 players now except golden gym badges.

... It'd be something to build towards to. There's no endgame for lvl. 40 players now except golden gym badges.
I don't think raising the level cap to 50 is going to change this. For people who fell off the game because they reached level 40, would they really come back just so they can grind again to get to 50?

How long did it take you to get to 36 million? 2 years? If level 50 was 125 million, it'd take you more than 5 years of just doing the same thing.

Adding some new game mechanic (or whatever) to the game for end-game players would make more meaningful sense than pushing the goal posts back.

I like the idea of pokmon gaining CP through Raid/battling. Talking something like 1 Cp for success gym battle against an evenly match opponent. I.E. While maybe 1 thru 5 depending on Raid rating. It won't improve end game, but gave a bit more reason to keep activate.

Few other things I'd like to see. Maybe a rotating month set of Pokemon as well. I.E. For this month, Dragon will spawn a bit more. It's just depressing going back to the norm.

I don't really think players who hit level 40 play for leveling purposes alone. The leveling grind is this game isn't very fun and it's pretty much pointless. Plus, EXP is the most constantly devalued source. It became significantly easier after raids, and became basically an indicator of how long you've had the app on your phone once friends got added. Most players past level 38 are still playing because they enjoy hunting down perfect Pokemon and collecting shinies.

If they want to add a sort of end game grind, let high level players collect some sort of bottle caps that allow you to slowly boost your Pokemon's IVs. Make it have some sort of cosmetic affect so that Pokemon with naturally high IVs stay unique and valuable, or make it a long enough grind that high IV'd Pokemon stay valuable.

I don't feel like I will lose interest in the game once I hit lvl 40. The lvl doesn't really matter in the game imo. I've been lvl 39 for so long, I won't even feel the difference. The game motivates to keep playing because you want more stardust and get those sweet IVs. Even if I hit 40 I will definitely have as much fun as before if they keep adding new Pokemon and features.

They should give you a 2nd incubator for reaching Level 40 if you ask me. The rewards you get now are kinda lame.
Especially the lucky eggs lol

Yeah, Prestiging would be really cool I think. Thinking about it, I don't get why they didn't add this yet. They would make a shitload of money from this. I think many lvl 40 players would do it and spend lot of money on lucky eggs and actually play more.

Last edited:
Especially the lucky eggs lol

Yeah, Prestiging would be really cool I think. Thinking about it, I don't get why they didn't add this yet. They would make a shitload of money from this. I think many lvl 40 players would do it and spend lot of money on lucky eggs and actually play more.
LOL I totally forgot about the lucky eggs already. So pointless to give players who just maxed out their account an item that gives them more XP.

It's hard to get excited about all of these imminent Best Friends considering that I'm now level 40

All that delicious, worthless xp.
Its just a weird process - I'm still sticking a lucky egg on for them (what else am I going to do with the lucky eggs I've still got) and I've gained maybe about 2 or 3 million XP over the last week from hitting ultra or best friends with people but it's just empty points.

I just wanna get the gold medal for best friends. Then I dunno.

I suppose I should pop a lucky egg, but I'm not gonna coordinate anything.

have the nest reset yet? I heard there was some weirdness about them during the kanto event. hypno is the last kanto poke I need and silphroad says theres a nest in a park like 15 mins from me so I'm tempted to check it out after work, but its completely out of my way and its status is "unverified"...

have the nest reset yet? I heard there was some weirdness about them during the kanto event. hypno is the last kanto poke I need and silphroad says theres a nest in a park like 15 mins from me so I'm tempted to check it out after work, but its completely out of my way and its status is "unverified"...
The nests reset yesterday when the Kanto event ended.

Once you hit the point where you can power Pokemon up to lvl 40, it seems all about getting that stardust to boost your teams.

If they want to add a sort of end game grind, let high level players collect some sort of bottle caps that allow you to slowly boost your Pokemon's IVs. Make it have some sort of cosmetic affect so that Pokemon with naturally high IVs stay unique and valuable, or make it a long enough grind that high IV'd Pokemon stay valuable.
This could be neat.

They should give you a 2nd incubator for reaching Level 40 if you ask me. The rewards you get now are kinda lame.
This would be amazing, but obviously it probably hurts their bottom line.

Once you hit the point where you can power Pokemon up to lvl 40, it seems all about getting that stardust to boost your teams.
What teams? Once you maxed a few legendaries and pseudos you can take on everything. Honestly, upping the max level of Pokemon means players would have a bigger stardust dump which Niantic can exploit with bonus stardust events. Like GulAtiCa, I've been hovering above 2 million stardust for a long time. I'm even maxing Slowbros, Clefables and Blastoises at this point because there's nothing else for me to put in.

What teams? Once you maxed a few legendaries and pseudos you can take on everything. Honestly, upping the max level of Pokemon means players would have a bigger stardust dump which Niantic can exploit with bonus stardust events. Like GulAtiCa, I've been hovering above 2 million stardust for a long time. I'm even maxing Slowbros, Clefables and Blastoises at this point because there's nothing else for me to dump in.
True to a point, at least if you can raid with lots of people. But you're right, Niantic could also find ways to incentivize using other Pokemon more, perhaps with gym revamps or PvP.

What teams? Once you maxed a few legendaries and pseudos you can take on everything. Honestly, upping the max level of Pokemon means players would have a bigger stardust dump which Niantic can exploit with bonus stardust events. Like GulAtiCa, I've been hovering above 2 million stardust for a long time. I'm even maxing Slowbros, Clefables and Blastoises at this point because there's nothing else for me to put in.
I kind of feel like people constantly flaunting how much stardust they have is the reason Niantic constantly makes things use Stardust.

I have over 4 million myself so it's not a big deal, but I know a lot of players that are always under 500k

I kind of feel like people constantly flaunting how much stardust they have is the reason Niantic constantly makes things use Stardust.

I have over 4 million myself so it's not a big deal, but I know a lot of players that are always under 500k
For those people, raising the Pokemon level cap wouldn't change much because of diminishing returns of stardust and candy. It's more efficient to raise a team of lvl. 35 than one lvl. 40+ and 5 lvl. 25. For people who have stardust lying around, it would incentivize them to use it. Then when new Pokemon arrive, they will want more stardust to max those too. It's win-win for Niantic. The only downside is that Pokemon in gyms become tougher to take down, which is honestly overstated because of gym decay and the fact that a bunch of lvl. 30 Machamps can take down a lvl. 40 Blissey without dodging.

Honestly it's baffling they haven't raised the level cap yet. It's minimal work that potentially creates player retention.

So many people showed up to the Deoxys EX raid I was referred to that they managed to stop up a church shuttle caravan. Oops.

I took a note of the parking lot across the street the church staff was trying to direct everyone to but I don't think anyone communicated to the staff in the confusion that the information would be shared among our group, so I hope it doesn't result in the loss of an EX raid gym for the second time (one the next block over already got erased, presumably also over cars crowding the road all the time).

The new raids will continue despite an EX invite system has struck again.

The game must have scheduled a regular raid at the gym for the EX raid time frame today and guess what happens then? Oh the EX raid gets cancelled

Evolve 10 water Pokemon for a Dratini encounter

Damn. Wish I knew to save some garbage water Pokemon from the Kanto event because otherwise they're rare in my biome. I need tons of dragons to complete my gold medal, plus Dratini candy is hard to come by.