PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - Post E3 2018

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 438 14.0%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 414 13.3%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,025 64.9%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 99 3.2%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 144 4.6%

• Total voters
But why buy a new console when you can play all 2019 games on your PS4 or XboxOneX (for the best multiplat console version if you want that)

So far i havent seen any good reason for a rushed 2019 console release.
Why buy? Because it will play all the games better (better framerate etc) and (no doubt) bring some other advantages (features and exclusives). It could be quieter also (something many complain about is PS4 noise) - it might also have a UHD drive. There will be many reasons to buy.

But why buy a new console when you can play all 2019 games on your PS4 or XboxOneX (for the best multiplat console version if you want that)

Because,as somebody said already,many of us only bought PS4 back in 2013 and we want to upgrade finally,after 6 years,in 2019.

Honestly, I haven't seen many console launches where there was an exclusive, must play game on day one. Resogun was my favorite PS4 launch title, but otherwise I just played Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, and Battlefield.

On the other hand, Switch had my favorite console launch in recent memory because it was the best place to play Zelda. Nintendo followed that up with some true exclusive content within the first six months, and I'd love to see Sony do something similar.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've yet to see a console launch where there was an exclusive, must play game on day one. Resogun was my favorite PS4 launch title, but otherwise I just played Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, and Battlefield.

On the other hand, Switch had my favorite console launch in recent memory because it was the best place to play Zelda. Nintendo followed that up with some true exclusive content within the first six months, and I'd love to see Sony do something similar.
Resogun was god tier.

Plus is would not be a rushed release. It was the date they've been planning for.
You make a good point here; if 2019 was the original launch year planned for PS5, what could be the cause of a delay to 2020, if there is one?

Hardware is usually the main cause, but we haven't heard anything very significant to suggest this is the case; it seems at present that hardware is broadly on track.

Software (ie. new FP) seems thin sure, but as I said above, this doesn't seem likely to improve much in 2020 since there will be no other FP studios likely to launch titles in 2020 than in 2019. Perhaps if that 1-2 FP launch titles we are expecting aren't ready for 2019 that might be cause enough?

Other business issues? I'm not sure what these could be that might delay a console launch. Some might argue the continuing strength of PS4 sales is reason enough, but I don't buy the idea that PS5 will kill PS4 sales. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be major enough to delay a console launch besides hardware or software?

Oh god yeah. Best launch game for the PS4. Give me one Resgoun alongside snazzed up versions of The Last of Us Part II and Ghosts of Tsushima and I'd be much happier than I was with the PS4 launch. Shadowfall and Knack just didn't do anything for me.
Ditto. I actually got the Shadowfall bundle at launch but never played more then an hour of it. Resogun on the other hand...... I ended up with some of the top scores on the leaderboard . 100s of hours.

Really hope Sony contract Housemarque for a PS5 launch game.

Honestly, I've yet to see a console launch where there was an exclusive, must play game on day one. Resogun was my favorite PS4 launch title, but otherwise I just played Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, and Battlefield.
Well, PS2 had SSX, and PS3 had Resistance: Fall of Man & MotorStorm, at the time of European launch. SSX is still among my top 3 racers of all time, and I played RFOM through several times, alone and with friends. Two of them liked it so much, that it persuaded them to buy the system as well.

EDIT: Obviously, Halo on Xbox was also must-play for many.

Well, PS2 had SSX, and PS3 had Resistance: Fall of Man & MotorStorm, at the time of European launch. SSX is still among my top 3 racers of all time, and I played RFOM through several times, alone and with friends. Two of them liked it so much, that it persuaded them to buy the system as well.

EDIT: Obviously, Halo on Xbox was also must-play for many.
You've made me realize that I should have tweaked my wording. I didn't really want to say that there has never been a console launch with an exclusive, "must have" game. Just that I don't think it's as important as some people make it out to be. Now having games like that within the first six months to a year? Absolutely.

I also feel like mid-gen consoles could serve as a test bed for this kind of launch.

Because,as somebody said already,many of us only bought PS4 back in 2013 and we want to upgrade finally,after 6 years,in 2019.
Though even Pro owners like me want it just as much. The Pro is nice, sure, and I really appreciate the resolution improvements, but the PS5 would be capable of improving resolution even further while also applying better textures and, crucially (to me), 60fps. I do hope the first-party games get those sorts of improvements - I imagine the chaotic, particle effect-filled fights of Horizon at a locked 60fps and it gives me chills.

Ditto. I actually got the Shadowfall bundle at launch but never played more then an hour of it. Resogun on the other hand...... I ended up with some of the top scores on the leaderboard . 100s of hours.

Really hope Sony contract Housemarque for a PS5 launch game.
That's the thing. There will probably be many collaborations in early gen.

I can see Sony collaborates with RAD again but this time they got more time than 3 years behind the scenes is my guess.

You make a good point here; if 2019 was the original launch year planned for PS5, what could be the cause of a delay to 2020, if there is one?

Hardware is usually the main cause, but we haven't heard anything very significant to suggest this is the case; it seems at present that hardware is broadly on track.

Software (ie. new FP) seems thin sure, but as I said above, this doesn't seem likely to improve much in 2020 since there will be no other FP studios likely to launch titles in 2020 than in 2019. Perhaps if that 1-2 FP launch titles we are expecting aren't ready for 2019 that might be cause enough?

Other business issues? I'm not sure what these could be that might delay a console launch. Some might argue the continuing strength of PS4 sales is reason enough, but I don't buy the idea that PS5 will kill PS4 sales. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be major enough to delay a console launch besides hardware or software?
One thing could definitely be HZD2 development. It doesn't need to be ready for 2019 but if it looks like it will be a 2021 game it could be a problem.

Benji also mentioned 3rd party games. That is harder to pinpoint. Is it due to one particular game? Do they "need" to have maybe 1-2 of a group of 4-5 that are being developed now? A combination of those?

Or of course a totally unrelated variable(s) that we're missing.

It really seems a fool's errand to try to ascertain what is in Sony's decission table. But that won't stop us from trying :P

They want to avoid as much as possible a significant sales dip of the current generation before the next generation can establish strong sales. If they expected a significant sales dip for PS4 in 2018-2019, and it didn't manifest, this might be a reason to delay the PS5 until 2020.

You've made me realize that I should have tweaked my wording. I didn't really want to say that there has never been a console launch with an exclusive, "must have" game. Just that I don't think it's as important as some people make it out to be. Now having games like that within the first six months to a year? Absolutely.
True on both counts. The launch window and first year's games certainly count. After all, it's mostly the hardcore players who buy systems at launch, and being in the party day one and anticipation for upcoming games are part of that. Take PS2 for example, which I bought day one for SSX, but launch window's Shadow of Memories and first year's Silent Hill 2 & Soul Reaver 2 were important to me as well.

Theoretically speaking, when do you guys think the specs for a 2019 and 2020 release must be finalized and when is the last possible moment to delay it from 2019 to 2020? Point of no return so to say.

Theoretically speaking, when do you guys think the specs for a 2019 and 2020 release must be finalized and when is the last possible moment to delay it from 2019 to 2020? Point of no return so to say.
Well the APU should already be finalised for 2019. So Sony will already know what the CPU and GPU capabilities are going to be. At least I think that's what happens. I know silicon chips don't get done overnight.

We know they aim to finalize specs two years prior to launch, so they’ll be locking it down within the next few months if it isn’t already.

They can change RAM amount or HD size, but the APU is going to be pretty much set given the effort to tapeout and validate a chip. This would be true even if they were going with discrete chips, but give them a little more flexibility.

We know Cerny has been on his tour of developers recently, which is exactly what he did in 2011 for PS4 specs. He seems even more ingrained with developers this time around, so I hope that means he’s really on the pulse of what’s holding them back. He served as a producer on Spider-Man and was actively pushing their tech team to enhance the world. Get your tubs ready.

Last edited:
If it's a 2019 to 2020 delay that's almost definitely already happened right? You can't wait until 2019 itself and then go, "yeah let's push it back" surely.

If it's a 2019 to 2020 delay that's almost definitely already happened right? You can't wait until 2019 itself and then go, "yeah let's push it back" surely.
I struggle to call anything a delay if it’s not a departure from a publicly announced date. If they change their internal target, that’s just normal planning. A delay implies an unforeseen circumstance to me.

One thing could definitely be HZD2 development. It doesn't need to be ready for 2019 but if it looks like it will be a 2021 game it could be a problem.
I have every confidence in GG. Nor do they need to reinvent the wheel for Horizon 2, so I see no reason why ~3-3.5 years shouldn't be plenty of time for Horizon 2 to hit within a year of PS5 launch.

They want to avoid as much as possible a significant sales dip of the current generation before the next generation can establish strong sales. If they expected a significant sales dip for PS4 in 2018-2019, and it didn't manifest, this might be a reason to delay the PS5 until 2020.
If they want to avoid a sales dip that would suggest an earlier launch would be better than a later one.

If Sony provide a more joined-up, BC-supporting eco-system that doesn't wait for the previous gen to falter before bringing new hardware, and allows for a more controlled transition, it seems unlikely that PS5 would cannibalise or negatively impact PS4 sales. The two consoles could support multiple customer-bases and price-points for some time, which is why I don't see why PS4 sales should have any impact on release date decisions for PS5.

I have every confidence in GG. Nor do they need to reinvent the wheel for Horizon 2, so I see no reason why ~3-3.5 years shouldn't be plenty of time for Horizon 2 to hit within a year of PS5 launch.
Agreed. Make me wonder if they might hold off on Horizon 2's visual improvements, even. Focus on a massive leap in on-screen action, resolution and framerate to get the game out surprisingly fast, with Horizon 3 getting the more major visual leap.

If they want to avoid a sales dip that would suggest an earlier launch would be better than a later one.

If Sony provide a more joined-up, BC-supporting eco-system that doesn't wait for the previous gen to falter before bringing new hardware, and allows for a more controlled transition, it seems unlikely that PS5 would cannibalise or negatively impact PS4 sales. The two consoles could support multiple customer-bases and price-points for some time, which is why I don't see why PS4 sales should have any impact on release date decisions for PS5.
Yeah I have confidence as well but you never know, sometimes games enter development hell or are delayed or even cancelled.

We trust SSM and Corey Barlog, but they had to cancel a game. Uncharted 4 had many problems that ended with Amy Hennigg and Dustin Richmond leaving. Bend and Sucker Punch's games are having a very long development which I'm sure has been full of unforseen issues.

And let's not talk about The Last Guardian, Dreams or Wild. Or Driveclub and The Order 1886, lol

The exception seems to be indeed GG, that shipped a game in time for PS4 launch and a brand new IP just 3.5 years later.

Those guys are beastly

Yes of course, bad choice of words.
I didn’t mean to single you out. I’ve seen a lot of people using that phrasing in this thread and just wanted to pipe-up and say I think it’s a generalization that doesn’t carry enough detail to convey what’s actually going on.

Yeah I have confidence as well but you never know, sometimes games enter development hell or are delayed or even cancelled.

We trust SSM and Corey Barlog, but they had to cancel a game. Uncharted 4 had many problems that ended with Amy Hennigg and Dustin Richmond leaving. Bend and Sucker Punch's games are having a very long development which I'm sure has been full of unforseen issues.

And let's not talk about The Last Guardian, Dreams or Wild. Or Driveclub and The Order 1886, lol

The exception seems to be indeed GG, that shipped a game in time for PS4 launch and a brand new IP just 3.5 years later.

Those guys are beastly
They do it with seemingly good labor practices as well. Their new space looks awesome, and Decima engine is amazing. If they can deliver a story consistent or better than Horizon for their next game, I’ll start seeing them as ND of Europe.

GG are no more immune to development problems thsn anyone else, but they are technical masters with experience in hitting a hardware launch, have the Horizon concept nailed, were planning the IP as a series ftom the start, must have lots of confidence after their biggest success, will have the whole-hearted backing of Sony, the support of Koji Pro and WWS and will be the first to really show what the PS5 can do - they have as much going for them here as they could ask for, so while it's no easy ride they have a good chance of hitting their targets here I'd hope.

Does anyone have any ideas about graphics techniques that that aren't possible to run on current-gen base consoles that will be possible on 10TF+ next-gen consoles? I'm always curious about new, or old, graphics techniques that developers would like to implement (or thought were possible), but the base consoles just weren't powerful enough to do.

Those guys are beastly
Really horizon is so good that it seem that they did just dislike Killzone so much for how much difference there's between horizon and that serie ...I'm sure that was Sony pushing to have something ala halo at that time (also with resistance)

I hope they don't mess about with the controllers too much. The DS4 is the best DualShock ever but I'm still worried about them messing up and having a tin pot thing like DualShock 3 next time around. The Xbone controller, well they should just leave that absolutely as it is. Nothing at all wrong with it.

Does anyone have any ideas about graphics techniques that that aren't possible to run on current-gen base consoles that will be possible on 10TF+ next-gen consoles? I'm always curious about new, or old, graphics techniques that developers would like to implement (or thought were possible), but the base consoles just weren't powerful enough to do.
I expect big steps forward in global illumination, even if we don’t get RT.

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/epic-games-tim-sweeney-explains-lack-of-svogi-in-unreal-engine-4/

There are several variants and developments on dynamic voxel-based GI that would be much easier to implement on 10TF+ consoles.

I didn’t mean to single you out. I’ve seen a lot of people using that phrasing in this thread and just wanted to pipe-up and say I think it’s a generalization that doesn’t carry enough detail to convey what’s actually going on.

They do it with seemingly good labor practices as well. Their new space looks awesome, and Decima engine is amazing. If they can deliver a story consistent or better than Horizon for their next game, I’ll start seeing them as ND of Europe.
Didn't know about the labor practices part, glad to hear that. Yeah, the story was pretty solid. Second parts are harder to nail, though. Hope they can deliver.

What I really want is a better melee combat though, and better combat vs humans in general. Or less of it

But yeah, 2020 should be doable

Halo

Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to edit that post. My fingers worked independently of my brain this morning. If they were in sync, I would have realized that statement was begging for responses like yours. Edited now.

welp https://kotaku.com/google-announces-project-stream-which-lets-you-stream-1829441501 lets see how this plays out, if roumers are true its a hybrid compute set up, with inputs being computed localy.
I'm very curious! I signed up and hope I get the chance to try things out. Makes me wonder if Microsoft will show their streaming service off soon. We've heard plenty of rumors about it.

Epic was demoing SVOGI on a GTX680, but current-gen high-end games like FFXV and RoTTR can't even run VXAO in a performant manner (even on a GTX 1080). This is under the assumption that Nvidia's VXGI is a variant of SVOGI, and VXAO is derived from VXGI. How would a full blown dynamic global illumination solution now be more likely? SVOGI has been very confusing for me this generation.

Are there any other techniques that look interesting? Will reflections receive any kind of improvement next-gen?

Last edited:
Didn't know about the labor practices part, glad to hear that. Yeah, the story was pretty solid. Second parts are harder to nail, though. Hope they can deliver.

What I really want is a better melee combat though, and better combat vs humans in general. Or less of it

But yeah, 2020 should be doable

Yes there is. 7nm+ (cheaper) APU and cheaper GDDR6 ram.
You make my argument for me. + and cheaper are minimal argument. 7nm and gddr6 are available in 2019

2019 isnt rushed. 2020 is just delayed for no good reason. Why not wait till 2023? 2025? Sure hardware will be cheaper/better by then.

Like I said, the only real argument for 2020 is lack of leaks or lack of information as a whole. 2019 is much more likely with the info we have.

We know Cerny has been on his tour of developers recently, which is exactly what he did in 2011 for PS4 specs. He seems even more ingrained with developers this time around, so I hope that means he’s really on the pulse of what’s holding them back. He served as a producer on Spider-Man and was actively pushing their tech team to enhance the world. Get your tubs ready.
Yeah.

Also a new addition this time is how much he's likely getting see first hand what kind of requests and customizations Kojima and his team have been upto with GG's engine, since they're another team that's always pushed the envelope. Should be another really good source of info and with lots more access than when he was working for Konami since they're working with a first party game and engine this time. Actually wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he's a producer on the full Death Stranding, and doing the same thing there as he apparently was for Spider-Man, since he was already helping KojiPro out with the tech right from the very first teaser trailer.