Red Dead Redemption 2: Official Gameplay Video Part 2

I wonder about other things too. Like what if you could hog tie a dude, haul him far away from his town, and ditch him with a bloody animal carcass in wolf territory. Then imagine him showing up a few days later all fucked up. lol
Or even better, hogtie him and leave him for the alligators. Oh boy I can't wait to do this xD

How is it superior, exactly?

Nope.

Gimping resolution/frame rate is one thing, gimping assets and textures is quite another thing entirely.

Yup! Exactly this :)

Well said :)

I agree!
Are you actually 100% confirmed that this is the case? so you are confirming that Rockstar are gimping the xbox version? you seem to be pretty confident that you actually know what the differences are, or is it tales from...?

Ok?

Opinions are opinions, but what?
Certainly not the best looking game ever. Hyperbole.is so strong, sometimes. It looks good but best? Come on.
its just not up there with titles i find to be the best looking. a solid rung below those. the animation is top notch tho and that alone makes it more visually pleasing in motion than a title like AC origins which has better rendering fidelity

Me: omg RDR2 could not get any better !
Rockstar: Hold My Beer.
*Second gameplay trailer releases*
Me: HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

i'm literally blown away. i would help every beggar in this game and would make all of them rich. i guess it would be really effective on my honor as well xD

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, and i'm still unsure what parts of what we've seen/been told are a product of the AI as opposed to being tiny scripted events.

But whatever, the thought alone of exploring those environments has this locked as day 1 purchase.

I already have a Pro but i’m thinking i should get an X to play this, i want to experience it with the best possible quality
I’m not tech savvy but you mean to say the Xbox console will enable the game to perform and look better? I’ve never owned an Xbox before.

I’m somewhat surprised if that’s the case since I thought Rockstar leans a bit more to the PS side of things.

Man arthur doesn’t even have 1% of Martston’s charisma in RDR 1.
You know I think that's the only thing R* haven't adequately conveyed is Arthur's personality and character traits through the trailers.
I got a bit of confidence from trailer 2 where Arthur spoke more with lines like making that kids mother where black again for his funeral on his behalf, his southern drawl etc.

I'm hopeful that all his humour, bad asseness, gang loyalty and darkness comes across wonderfully in the final game.

Size wise... any idea how big RDR2’s map is compared to Spider-Man?
lol weird comparison

Spideys map is smaller compared to most modern open world games (it does have verticality though).
I imagine since it isn’t even a full size manhattan it’s barely a portion of GTA IVs map

and comparing it to this

https://m.imgur.com/r/gaming/TT1q6Ij

if RDR is atleast equal to GTAVs map that’s like 10+ times bigger than spidey

Last edited:
How is the writing in the Red Dead games? I'm one of the few people who hates GTA4 and 5 and finds them boring and the story uninteresting.
RDR is maybe my favourite single player game, yet I only got half way through GTA4 before quitting, so you might like this world a lot more.

Seems a bit of a ridiculous statement. We've seen nothing of the new character interacting with others in terms of story. You can't seriously compare that to one who was fleshed out over a whole game.
My question is why does he have to have charisma like Marston? Hell I'll be glad if it's the opposite and Arthur is a totally different character. I like his stoic, blunt nature so far.

Finally got around to watching this. It seems like there's no more aimbot system? The worst part about Rockstar's games has been the gunplay - press L2 to instant snap to enemy torso, flick right stick up a little to aim at head instead, press R2 to shoot. Repeat until everyone dead.

This video is showing actual aiming.

My question is why does he have to have charisma like Marston? Hell I'll be glad if it's the opposite and Arthur is a totally different character. I like his stoic, blunt nature so far.
Well quite. If R*'s previous titles have shown it's that you don't need identikit personalities to make a character interesting.

Looks great, but my hype remains well and truly in check until I can pick up a controller, move the player character around, and verify that it doesn't feel like utter shit à la GTAV/TW3.

Surprise me, Rockstar.
You'll be disappointed. Previews have confirmed it feels heavy like their other games.

I'm okay with that considering the level of detail that is being poured in here. Unlike their other games, it looks like you'll be able to engage with the world every 20-30 feet. From talking to characters, to opening all objects in a room, etc.

For once the slow pace might actually help a lot.

this looks great. i've been looking forward to it but now i feel excited.

trying not to spoil too much going in. i read everything about GTA V before it came out and it ruined the experience for me.

People had next to no clue how Marston would be pre-release too. We know Arthur is more of a blank slate considering how much they are pushing the ways you can treat people in the world and the freedom you have but the hand wringing on him seems misplaced.

The game looks insanely gorgeous and immersive, it'll probably be a joy simply to explore, watch the scenery, look at what the AI does and so on. I'm still not convinced about the game itself: more or less nothing in these two gameplay videos so far implied to me these will all be fun activities. GTA V's gameplay was serviceable, in fact the best gameplay the series ever had, but it's not a particularly engaging third person shooter, and neither it is an excellent FPS. I'm not convinced the game is fun, and indeed I didn't enjoy RDR back in the day as far as gameplay goes. I kinda want to experience this as soon as possible on the One X, but I feel like I would fuck around for an hour or two in it and almost never touch it again because the game may not be fun to play. Of course, this is just an early impression based on videos, but unfortunately Rockstar doesn't really do demos. Might have to pick it up and consider a refund if I don't like it, dunno. Then again this Fall I'm busy with other games. Argh, decisions, decisions.

While I am personally lukewarm to RDR2 because I thought RDR was just meh, I hope it reaches the lofty expectations everybody here and in the gaming media have for this game. Yet, I also hope that hype does not mean reviewers gloss over whatever problems that will surely be present, because Rockstar titles seem to be sprinkled with that Bethesda Fallout anti-criticism dust.

I cannot imagine i'll like the micromanagement in this game ; it was a reason I never beat San Andreas and later IV ; this very much looks like it's going to have a bunch of shit distracting you (make nice with horsey, people in caravan, band, etc). I really hate elements like these in a game but I'm also just enamored by the open world and would like to explore it.
I fell the same way. Really hope that the micromanagement is well integrated and actual is useful for the outcome of the gameplay/history. Really don't care if John is clean or dirty because I have not washed him like a sims. But if it means that he will not be able to preform specific tasks / missions then it begins to make more sense.
They're on record saying they're aware many (if not most) players will feel the same as you and as such they want all of it to be as unintrusive as possible. You'll be able to just forget all about the systems and roam off into the open world yourself. The worst that'll happen is NPCs will react to Arthur being gross and your guns might occasionally misfire.

I'm ready to fully engage with all the systems and immerse myself in this world. Getting cleaned up, eating, playing dominoes, holding up wagons, growing a beard, selling pelts. Can't wait.

I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, and i'm still unsure what parts of what we've seen/been told are a product of the AI as opposed to being tiny scripted events.

But whatever, the thought alone of exploring those environments has this locked as day 1 purchase.
Look up 319Jevity's posts. She/he is a modder for GTA V and was saying that under the hood GTA V had this vast pedestrian interaction system that was 80+% deactivated in GTA V (most likely optimisation and being shelved at various stages of development). And at that stage all the player could do was 'escalate' a fight, pretty much. In this they've added three player choices with each NPC and have evidently increased a ton of under the hood functionality.

I still think most of the trailers are scripted bits, but the previews talked a lot about how next-level dynamic the character interactions were.

Size wise... any idea how big RDR2’s map is compared to Spider-Man?
Size-wise, one publication ran with "Rockstar's biggest game yet" and were never corrected. It's at least the same size as GTA V's, but probably larger.

This is many, many times larger than Spider-Man's map (probably like 10 times the size, minimum - I think all of Spidey's Manhattan fits inside Los Santos) but more importantly than size is the fact it's a western. We'll be on foot or horseback for much of it. Imagine walking around Spider-Man's map and doing small-scale missions, rather than swinging super fast and doing large scale events.

Even if it's only the same size as GTA V's map, for a western it will be absurdly large and easy to get lost in.

I mean, I love RDR but it's story was nothing special, especially compared to the all time western greats like Lonesome Dove, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, and the best, Three Amigos.
Do people know what 99% means?!!! There are thousands western movies with shitty stories. The things you just mentioned are 1% of all western movies.

I have both a Pro and an X and I'm fuckin' torn.
Maybe I'll do SP on xbox and MP on ps4... Assuming the MP is totally separate from SP.
If you have X then stick with X only. X will be better version for 4k tv users no matter what. Don't see R* giving X anything extra except resolution as marketing deal is with Sony.

People don't realise that marketing deals plays very big factor. I don't know if you guys read Vg 24/7 article where writer said Division had marketing deal to make XboxOne and PS4 look identical.

Sony must have spend lot of money to secure RDR 2 marketing rights ,so there's no way X version will have exclusive 4k assets like Shadow of War nd all .

Look up 319Jevity's posts. She/he is a modder for GTA V and was saying that under the hood GTA V had this vast pedestrian interaction system that was 80+% deactivated in GTA V (most likely optimisation and being shelved at various stages of development). And at that stage all the player could do was 'escalate' a fight, pretty much. In this they've added three player choices with each NPC and have evidently increased a ton of under the hood functionality.

I still think most of the trailers are scripted bits, but the previews talked a lot about how next-level dynamic the character interactions were.
Sounds like an interesting read,thanks.
Yes, there's obviously a lot more interaction and the fact alone that each NPC is defined and exists in the world (i assume, or a lot of the mechanics just wouldn't work) rather than being a random character model spawned in proximity of the player makes this a completely different beast from GTAV. but i'm talking about events like your friend breaking in from the backdoor dual wielding guns from the latest trailer or the event a few previews mentioned like "helping random NPC with snake's venom, NPC later turns out to be the owner of a gun shop". Which they made it sound was a random event but i'm leaning towards tiny side quest myself.
Of course, if there's *MANY* such small side quests like this that get triggered randomly, that ultimately wouldn't feel any different vs non-scripted for the player.

So how exactly does death work? I remember previews saying you wake up nearby, wounded. Or something.

Thinking about how this whole thing is going to come together, I imagine one of the few remaining really compelling features could be making death a bit more impactful. I'd really like to feel like I don't want to die in a Rockstar game, rather than feeling like it's a minor nuisance.

E.g. getting chased down by the law after starting a problem in a town - I'd love to feel like I really need to fight my way out and escape (Dark Souls style, that I might lost a lot of valuable shit) rather than not really caring.

I remember that being arrested can get you in jail losing time organically or being busted out. That sounds cool.

Sounds like an interesting read,thanks.
Yes, there's obviously a lot more interaction and the fact alone that each NPC is defined and exists in the world (i assume, or a lot of the mechanics just wouldn't work) rather than being a random character model spawned in proximity of the player makes this a completely different beast from GTAV. but i'm talking about events like your friend breaking in from the backdoor dual wielding guns from the latest trailer or the event a few previews mentioned like "helping random NPC with snake's venom, NPC later turns out to be the owner of a gun shop". Which they made it sound was a random event but i'm leaning towards tiny side quest myself.
Of course, if there's *MANY* such small side quests like this that get triggered randomly, that ultimately wouldn't feel any different vs non-scripted for the player.
Oh yeah, I think anything featuring a member of the gang/crew is very likely scripted.

But the side content note is interesting. What you said is true: should they make side content ubiquitous enough and granular enough, filling in and connecting systems everywhere you go and everywhere you look, then it should simply feel organic.

So how exactly does death work? I remember previews saying you wake up nearby, wounded. Or something.

Thinking about how this whole thing is going to come together, I imagine one of the few remaining really compelling features could be making death a bit more impactful. I'd really like to feel like I don't want to die in a Rockstar game, rather than feeling like it's a minor nuisance.

E.g. getting chased down by the law after starting a problem in a town - I'd love to feel like I really need to fight my way out and escape (Dark Souls style, that I might lost a lot of valuable shit) rather than not really caring.

I remember that being arrested can get you in jail losing time organically or being busted out. That sounds cool.

Oh yeah, I think anything featuring a member of the gang/crew is very likely scripted.

But the side content note is interesting. What you said is true: should they make side content ubiquitous enough and granular enough, filling in and connecting systems everywhere you go and everywhere you look, then it should simply feel organic.
Yeah I hope Arthur loses his weapons and/or other items he has on him when he dies.

This has probably been answered a long time ago, but I just happened to notice it today, why does the game prompt the player to aim the weapon using the R2 button?! Shouldn't it be L2?

This has probably been answered a long time ago, but I just happened to notice it today, why does the game prompt the player to aim the weapon using the R2 button?! Shouldn't it be L2?
With pistols at least you have to press R2 to pull the hammer back then release it to fire (or something).

Digital Foundry's analysis of the first gameplay trailer has pegged the resolution at 1920x2160. That is apparently ps4 pro footage. Xbox released the identical footage but with xbox on controller prompts. I guess we will see what happens when released.

edit: DF said that the resolution was 12.5% more pixels than 1440p. Don't know if that equates to 1700p
Well like 99% of 1X games have a significant resolution boost over the pro (on average 40% better on the X)

I dont see why RDR2 would be any different.