Sapkowski (author of The Witcher universe) wants ~16 million USD from CD Projekt

I was with you until that last bit. Wtf?
Simply put, the more the Witcher brand became famous and profitable, more and more these news and info about the Author having issues with CDP became prevelant and uglier to read about.

Quite honestly, i don't want CDP to be always linked to a franchise that just seems to be causing this much grief and pettiness, they do good work and seem like a fine company that does a lot of great things for the industry. Im ok with having no more Witcher products if the original author plants on ben a AAA-Asshole about it, as long as CDP can keep growing and producing new games that are just as sucessful as the Witcher without being it.

Can't be a Witcher thread without people shitting on a 70 year old dude whose biggest sin was being outspoken at the fact that he neither likes nor cares about videogames, even if said videogames are based in his books.

You can think he made a deal and that he shouldn't ask more money from it. But the animosity towards him in this forum is a sight to behold. Yeah, guys, he made a bad deal. I imagine you all do no wrong. Dude should be grateful of all this great new fans that the Witcher has now, that not only don't care about his books, but like to personally shit on the author that brought said universe to life.

Hope you all keep your perfect business sense and life long, happy and fullfilling life, so you can keep being the bright ray of sunshine you currently are.
Lol, what? I can't even.
Why so emotional about it?

Can't be a Witcher thread without people shitting on a 70 year old dude whose biggest sin was being outspoken at the fact that he neither likes nor cares about videogames, even if said videogames are based in his books.

You can think he made a deal and that he shouldn't ask more money from it. But the animosity towards him in this forum is a sight to behold. Yeah, guys, he made a bad deal. I imagine you all do no wrong. Dude should be grateful of all this great new fans that the Witcher has now, that not only don't care about his books, but like to personally shit on the author that brought said universe to life.

Hope you all keep your perfect business sense and life long, happy and fullfilling life, so you can keep being the bright ray of sunshine you currently are.
Talk about hot takes

Simply put, the more the Witcher brand became famous and profitable, more and more these news and info about the Author having issues with CDP became prevelant and uglier to read about.

Quite honestly, i don't want CDP to be always linked to a franchise that just seems to be causing this much grief and pettiness, they do good work and seem like a fine company that does a lot of great things for the industry. Im ok with having no more Witcher products if the original author plants on ben a AAA-Asshole about it, as long as CDP can keep growing and producing new games that are just as sucessful as the Witcher without being it.
That's how I see it, pay the man or renegotiate a deal. Get Gwent out there and rocking and then make something else. It's not worth the hassle.

Artists deserve to get paid, but you can’t just sign a contract like that and then change your mind. I feel for the guy. I sometimes feel like authors always get the short end of the stick during adaptations of their works. But I also feel like some of that comes down to negotiations and being wary that if they’re too aggressive or demanding, they’ll lose out on a payday.

Granted, this guys was initially offered a percentage but chose, somewhat forcefully if his interview is accurate, the lump sum.

He's greedy and looking to milk even more money out of a company that put his work on a worldwide scale and not only made him millions in book sales, but got him a TV deal with Netflix.

Normally I epxect a company to settle out of the courts to save the hassle and a bit of money. I hope CDPR fights this and doesn't give him another cent.

Speaking of not giving another cent, I'll happily not purchase any more of his books and not watch the show. What an idiot.

They have to thoroughly check the contract. Highly doubt its just one game lol. I feel sorry for him, but a contract is a contract. He's just salty his IP became so popular and he never got royalties for it. I'm interested to know how he's just demanding 16 million dollars. Based on what? I was under the impression CD Projekt owns the Witcher IP? He can't go back and change the contract. He only has himself to blame for signing a really bad deal with CD Projekt. They offered the better deal initially and he said no. He had no faith in them, but look at them now.

Maybe CD Projekt will settle for a smaller amount out of pity for the author? Or maybe he'll get something out of the Netflix deal?

Its sad when anyone mentions the Witcher, then proceed to mention the game, but not the books its based on.

They have to thoroughly check the contract. Highly doubt its just one game lol. I feel sorry for him, but a contract is a contract. He's just salty his IP became so popular and he never got royalties for it. I'm interested to know how he's just demanding 16 million dollars. Based on what? I was under the impression CD Projekt owns the Witcher IP? He can't go back and change the contract. He only has himself to blame for signing a really bad deal with CD Projekt. They offered the better deal initially and he said no. He had no faith in them, but look at them now.

Maybe CD Projekt will settle for a smaller amount out of pity for the author? Or maybe he'll get something out of the Netflix deal?

Its sad when anyone mentions the Witcher, then proceed to mention the game, but not the book its based on.
It's not that sad. It's logical.

The games are the reasons the IP is even known to a wider audience and the new generation, those were the contact point. Outside of Eastern Europe and other parts of Europe being knowledge to the name.

I hope he gets more money, I think he made a bet that made sense at the time, that a small polish company doing a game based on his property wouldn't amount to much. But after the first game, he should have been able to make new deals and revise his demans. He created a property that people love, and should be compensated for it, even if not as much as he wants. I hope at least this drove sales for the book and he got money and recognition out of that.

He gives literally no credit to the company that made him as successful as he is today. No, in fact, he makes the absolutely absurd claim that "people buy the games because of the books, not the other way around". How that's not derision, I'll never know.
He never said that. He said this:
"People ask me, they say, 'The games helped you?' I say, 'Yes, to the same extent I helped the games.' It was not so that the games promote me: I promoted the games with my name and characters."
Which is true. The original Witcher was success because of the property.
Which comes back to point he did not trust in devs or his own work .
So what if he didn't? Like I said, they were a retail and localization company with no experience.
So their arguing because CD is scummy? or Sapkowski should get what's his. Because he deserves it? even though he had nothing to do with Witcher being what it was. After bouncing.
He deserves it because he created the foundation of the series.
Is there though? I'm pretty sure you need a law degree to interpret legal text correctly, and just quoting an article because it sounds vaguely relevant to what you're discussing doesn't actually mean much if anything at all.
I don't need a law degree to read what is obviously there.
And while that's not insignificant, the biggest video game markets in Europe are in the West where the games' success can't be attributed to the books' popularity drawing people in.
And the games would have never had it's initial popularity without the book's popularity.
This will go to court and the judgement will set a precedence for the future.

If Sapkowski won this suit, than Poland Authors can literally kiss their chance at anyone wanting to license their stuff in the future.

So many of you guys here are thinking in terms of 'moral' POV. The law is NEVER about 'morals'. The law is about 'fair'. This law literally just shits on any forms of legally binding agreements because of 'feelings'. It's literally an 'unfair' law.
And do you think it's fair for someone to not be compensated for bad business deals?
They weren't huge back then. They almost went bankrupt after the first Witcher game.
That's because they underestimated the time needed for development. That doesn't mean they weren't big.
Yes across Europe. Not world wide.

Matter a fact known is not the same as being known world wide. Also how long did it take for it to reach the million number? also I never mentioned copies. I mentioned the number of people that activity speak about it or spoken about or even referenced it compared to other works. The fact is, it's not in the same league as Dark Materials, The Wheel of Time or many other popular works.
That's like saying Journey to the West isn't well known because people outside of China don't really talk about it.
Just because you've never seen it discussed or referenced doesn't mean it wasn't popular. You simply never saw it.

I hope he gets more money, I think he made a bet that made sense at the time, that a small polish company doing a game based on his property wouldn't amount to much. But after the first game, he should have been able to make new deals and revise his demans. He created a property that people love, and should be compensated for it, even if not as much as he wants. I hope at least this drove sales for the book and he got money and recognition out of that.
Ummm, CD offered to renegotiate and he still refused....that was after the first game.

Miss me with this shit, dude. He mad his own bed. There was nothing unfair about the original contract.
We still don't know that considering we haven't seen the original contract. All we can do speculate while letting the court decide who is right and who is wrong.

You have to keep in mind that CD Projekt also wasn't the company they are today when they signed this deal, so 10.000$ might sound like peanuts by today's standards, but was maybe a lot of money for a small developer (I honestly don't know how small or big they were back then). Anyway, they are absolutely in the right here.

He's greedy and looking to milk even more money out of a company that put his work on a worldwide scale and not only made him millions in book sales, but got him a TV deal with Netflix.

Normally I epxect a company to settle out of the courts to save the hassle and a bit of money. I hope CDPR fights this and doesn't give him another cent.

Speaking of not giving another cent, I'll happily not purchase any more of his books and not watch the show. What an idiot.
Then don't. Seriously, I can't believe how petty people are based on personal feelings. He's greedy and looking to milk money? Seriously?
Based on what? I was under the impression CD Projekt owns the Witcher IP?
What? No they don't. They own the rights to make games.
Maybe the game studio can demand payment from the TV show, if they used elements from the game for the show that aren't also in the books.
Both sides can play that game.
That doesn't even make any sense.

And do you think it's fair for someone to not be compensated for bad business deals?
Yes.

CDPR shouldn't have to live in fear that this guy is going to ascend to a new level of greediness and somehow void a contractual agreement to milk more money just because they put in an insane amount of hard work that paid off.

There are ten thousands of fantasy series out there. I doubt i'd have ever heard of the witcher series if it wasn't for cdpr, we are even getting a netflix show. And the guy, even after his books became extremely popular and sold a lot more, is still bitter af.

Can we get a Brandon Sanderson's "stormlight archive" game please?

That's like saying Journey to the West isn't well known because people outside of China don't really talk about it.
Just because you've never seen it discussed or referenced doesn't mean it wasn't popular. You simply never saw it.
Wtf, most people in the known world. Know the story of Journey to the West. That's a trouble example.

Matter a fact most Asian mythology is popular. So your not grasping the difference between the two properties and their reach. I mean can you point to me what The Witcher has influenced? compared to the Journey to the West has been able be used in works, long after?

Then don't. Seriously, I can't believe how petty people are based on personal feelings. He's greedy and looking to milk money? Seriously?
Yes, seriously. That is exactly what he's doing, being greedy. He has sellers regret from a bad business deal from years ago, and he isn't happy with the increased book sales and TV licensing deals it got him.

I sold stock in Apple in 2010, which was a terrible deal now that I have 20/20 hindsight vision. Can Apple please reimburse me for that bad deal?

In high school I sold a first edition shiny Charizard for $5 because I was stupid. Now it's worth more, so time to go hunt down that other student, right?

What a joke.

Ummm, CD offered to renegotiate and he still refused....that was after the first game.
If that’s the case it doesn’t sound like he’s going to get much. Poor guy, he just was unaware of what this business can do. Still, I’m sure he sold a lot more books than he would have otherwise.

If that’s the case it doesn’t sound like he’s going to get much. Poor guy, he just was unaware of what this business can do. Still, I’m sure he sold a lot more books than he would have otherwise.
No he was fully aware, but just did not believe. That his IP would make that much money or get that popular. In the form of a game, after other failed attempts. Still it wasnt like the guy was some ill educated old man.

That doesn't even make any sense.
If the TV show used elements from the videogame that was created by the game studio and not the novel author, then that aspect belonged to the game studio and needed to be credited and even paid for appropriately.

Now, that is a nasty thing to do, and usually not done. But if the author wants to make people's life difficult with litigation, then litigation is what he will get. Playing nice only works when both side do it.

He's got less than $10000 for the extremely successful video game series that uses his work, and yet he's greedy.

I think I've read everything now.
He sold something at the price he was happy with. At the time neither side had any idea how big it was going to get, so no one cheated him. Trying to retroactively ask for money is like the Fifth Beatle asking to get paid Royalties for all the Beatles songs that were written after he left the band.

He's really mad he made that deal. But he only has to blame himself. Neither him nor CD expected this thing to become this huge. I think this law-suit is stupid.
He actually should be happy the games were so successful. I'm sure his book sales sky-rocketed because of it and he will get a good pay from the TV series.
Just live with it.
exactly, his books skyrocketed and even got an official english translation because of the third game.

he's just a greedy bastard

He's got less than $10000 for the extremely successful video game series that uses his work, and yet he's greedy.

Ummm, do you think he's made no money since? didn't he not just get a Netflix deal. Didnt he get a boom from sells from international publishers to get his work over seas? the comics?...etc

It's all naive.

CDPR probably wouldn't even be around without his works.

The first game was sold on the Witcher name in Europe and copies a lot from the books

Been following this story loosely for a while now. Originally I felt sorry for Sapowski, then you look a little deeper and find out A. He's a dick. B. He turned down points on the back end because he was sure the games would tank.

Also the books are more popular than ever because of the games and he i signed lucrative Netflix deal also in large part due to the popularity of the games. He's being compensated.

Good thing opinions don't matter in the eyes of the law. He signed a contract and made a deal because he didn't think money was to be made from games. The judge will look at it and say well a contract is a contract.
It is what it is I guess, but I'm not gonna blame him from now wanting full control of his IP with these new deals he's making.

My take from his various interviews is he's a bit salty because when someone says "The Witcher", people go "oh yeah the video games by CDPR" instead of "oh yeah the book series by Andrzej Sapkowski".
That's understandable, I'd be salty, too.

But still, selling a license and then asking for more money years later, not a good look.
That happens all the time though. How many people even know Planet of the Apes was based on a book? Die Hard? Jaws? Forrest Gump? The Godfather? How many people think of Michael Crichton when they think “Jurassic Park”, or L. Frank Baum when they think “Wizard of Oz”?

If the author had cared about it, he could have required in the original contract that the games include his name in the title (“Andrzej Sapkowski‘s The Witcher”) or put the acknowledgement on the box (“based on the books by Andrzej Sapkowski”). Of course, a lot of people know about the books because of the games anyways, I have a friend who has bought all the English versions of the books so far, based on his like for the games.

Here, let me fix that for you, since yours makes it sound like CDPR stole his work without paying him:

He negotiated to sell his work to CDPR for less than $10000 and no royalties, and now that CDPR has turned it into a successful video game franchise he feels seller's remorse and wants more money.
That's the non-spin summary, and yes it's the definition of greed.

If the TV show used elements from the videogame that was created by the game studio and not the novel author, then that aspect belonged to the game studio and needed to be credited and even paid for appropriately.

Now, that is a nasty thing to do, and usually not done. But if the author wants to make people's life difficult with litigation, then litigation is what he will get. Playing nice only works when both side do it.

He sold something at the price he was happy with. At the time neither side had any idea how big it was going to get, so no one cheated him. Trying to retroactively ask for money is like the Fifth Beatle asking to get paid Royalties for all the Beatles songs that were written after he left the band.
They aren't gonna copy anything from the games so it's a mute point

Wow. This is one of the more vile threads I've seen on gaming side in quite some time. Lot of corporate white knights in here willing to refuse someone's right to fair dispute resolution when that refusal benefits a favored game publisher.

I'm not an IP lawyer and I haven't seen their agreement. If his legal representation believe the rights were limited to the first game then they're entitled to state their case in court.

The law says that he has sold his property, it is a done deal. You should not go into your emotional arguments about large companies and individuals, because they are irrelevant.

And if you want to argue about what is fair, and what should be the outcome without considering the law:

The product was worth that minescule amount of money before CDPR spent 10 years working on it to the point where it is today. His books sold a lot more copies because the game made people interested in the books. Witcher (NOT Witcher the game) got the show deal with the Netflix. He thought that the property (game rights) was junk. CDPR made him a lot of money indirectly, and instead of saying that you for making the Witcher a brand it is today, he attacks CDPR.
OK.... there's a lot of responses in here that are being unequivocal about the stature of the Witcher book series prior to the games.

Can those people who are constantly claiming that the book series was worth nothing before the games please provide some details? If the license was complete junk, I ask again, why did CD Projekt Red bother to pay a fee for the licence?

Also, I'm not being emotional, it is fairly sensible that a company cannot hold someone to deal made years ago when circumstances have changed so significantly. To continue to profit from their intellectual property at huge orders of magnitude greater than the creator was remunerated for.

If we accept the deal is the deal is the deal, this puts all the power in the hands of larger companies who can afford a legal team and the ability to cheaply license anything they believe could become big.

That's not to mention, that various people in this thread have pointed out that Polish law has an accommodation for this very scenario.

Yes?

the creator may demand an appropriate increase in remuneration by the court."

By law it sounds like he can. Sounds fair to me for any author or artist whose works become something huge

They aren't gonna copy anything from the games so it's a mute point
Good luck. I doubt the books are detailed enough on its own to completely flesh out a TV world. It would be easy to accidentally include things that match game events. And then litigation is on the cards. As I say, nasty, but eye for an eye.

Good luck. I doubt the books are detailed enough on its own to completely flesh out a TV world. It would be easy to accidentally include things that match game events. And then litigation is on the cards. As I say, nasty, but eye for an eye.
If you haven't read them then how would you know?