Shmups (Shoot 'Em Ups) |OT| THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM

"For Aka to Blue, a lot of people refunded the game"

I refunded it, but not because I completed the game in 30 minutes. That's a dick move.

I refunded it because I initially wanted to support a good STG but then realised I couldn't fucking stand playing it with touch controls. I imagine I'm not alone in that.

"For Aka to Blue, a lot of people refunded the game"

I refunded it, but not because I completed the game in 30 minutes. That's a dick move.

I refunded it because I initially wanted to support a good STG but then realised I couldn't fucking stand playing it with touch controls. I imagine I'm not alone in that.
I really doubt the 'thirty minutes done refund' players would've purchased the game at all if there were no refunds, so sales wouldn't change that much.

Uhhh new Ketsui?!

https://twitter.com/M2_STG/status/1026674308028846080

Edit: https://gematsu.com/2018/08/ketsui-...u-tachi-for-ps4-launches-november-29-in-japan

I guess the new stuff is the Matsuri version from 2007, never even heard of that one. And the arrange soundtrack from DDP DFK's Ketsui mode, available to finally play with actual Ketsui.
That release date is brand new and I wasn't aware there was going to be a physical version! But the 2007 ikd matsuri mode was announced as the arrange back in April iirc and honestly it's the only reason I'll buy another version of ketsui. If it didn't have anything new it'd be a hard pass.

Even if I already own multiple versions of a game/pcb I'm all for supporting new content being made playable for the first time (especially from the solid M2 stg line) but otherwise I've been skipping cash grabs like ikaruga that add absolutely nothing new to the port...which is why I'm hoping the next M2 game will be something that hasn't been ported yet.

Seeing how most of the shmups like 'Terra Feminarium' have ended in fire sales at one dollar, or in cheap Indiegala bundles, I will not call Steam as a healthy environment for shmup sales.

When a game is doing great numbers, you don't need to discount its price in a 90%.

I think that other added problem is that there are a lot of asset-flips shmups released with Steam direct, made with the Gamemaker or Unity tutorials without putting effort.

And this has devaluated even more the value of the shmups, for the general public.

Also, let's be realistic: shmups are a niche genre, with low sales. It doesn't matter in which system you release your game.

Sadly, games doing great numbers like 'Graceful Explosion Machine' are a rare exception.

And because of this, we have seen a trend of releasing shmups at high prices, like 'DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours' or the M2 Shot Trigger series.

Like we will try to milk money from a reduced user base, paying high prices.

At this point, a system like Switch having healthy sales in games like the Arcade Archives series of Hamster, it's a bless.

Because of this, we have seen a trend of Japanese shmup ports moving from Steam to Switch.

But let's see if with an increase in the number of releases, the shmups can maintain these healthy sales numbers in Switch.
I think Terra Feminarium is a bad example. I'm pretty sure the game wasn't doing great. It was a ball-breaker in a genre already consider impenetrable by many casual players. Their 1.5 "novice" update and sale were likely a reaction to all that.

Steam is getting crowded for sure. That's why it's easier to get a bit of spot light on Switch. Switch will also reach a saturation point. STG makers should do what most indie devs do, don't put your eggs in one basket, use your independence and be on as many platforms as possible. The more eyes you get on your product the better. Use sales to get back in the public eye, make meaningful updates, re-launch your game 2-3 times on new platforms to increase mind share.

Take Shikhondo: Soul Eater, first to Steam, then PS4, Switch, XB1, their announcement trailer hit 3-4 PR channels/cycles. When you google the name the first link is Steam.

tl:dr the hustle is real, be street smart, maybe you'll make coin

I think Terra Feminarium is a bad example. I'm pretty sure the game wasn't doing great. It was a ball-breaker in a genre already consider impenetrable by many casual players. Their 1.5 "novice" update and sale were likely a reaction to all that.

Steam is getting crowded for sure. That's why it's easier to get a bit of spot light on Switch. Switch will also reach a saturation point. STG makers should do what most indie devs do, don't put your eggs in one basket, use your independence and be on as many platforms as possible. The more eyes you get on your product the better. Use sales to get back in the public eye, make meaningful updates, re-launch your game 2-3 times on new platforms to increase mind share.

Take Shikhondo: Soul Eater, first to Steam, then PS4, Switch, XB1, their announcement trailer hit 3-4 PR channels/cycles. When you google the name the first link is Steam.

tl:dr the hustle is real, be street smart, maybe you'll make coin
The great problem for indie ports in Switch, is that in this current point, Switch has rely a lot in Unity as an engine to easy bring your games to Switch.

And then it comes the problem that Unity is not a very well suited engine for shmups.

I can't think in many important indie shmups made in Unity.

And this is a problem, because there are lots of indie shmups that I think that can do GREAT numbers in Switch, seeing the success of 'Danmaku Unlimited 3'.

For example, I think that 'Blue Revolver' fits the current Switch audience very well, with its very Japanese aesthetic.

I'm sure that a lot of developers with current released shmups in Steam, are aware of the healthy market for indies in Switch.

But they have the problem of how costly is to port any game not made in Unity.

Hopefully, with the incoming release of a Gamemaker import module in September (currently in beta for some selected developers), many indie games like the amazing and gorgeous 'Monolith' can find an extra income in Switch.

Yeah, since Gabe sat on and broke the floodgates, steam has become clogged with the worst kinds of crap, sorting the wheat from the chaff has become a real pain.

I use this site to check through the daily releases and what used to be a fun task, looking for interesting games to try has become a depressing chore - http://www.whatsonsteam.com/

It's good that the switch is still in it's honeymoon phase, but judging by some of the crap that's been getting on there, nintendo aren't as stringent as they once were with their "seal of approval" and like you say, it's only a matter of time before it becomes another swamp where sifting for the gold is more hassle than it's worth.

Chryz has got it bang on I reckon, staggering the release dates of your game on each platform is a great way of maximising your chances of getting press coverage and boosting sales on the other platforms too.

I just got my Dreamcast out of storage, what are some shmups I should play? Psyvariar 2 was my go-to and I played some of GigaWing as well but outside of that, not much.
I just recently won on eBay Giga Wing and Trizeal, so I don't have those in my possession yet. But I have:

Bangai-O
Border Down
Chaos Field
Fast Striker
Ghost Blade
Gunbird 2
Ikaruga
Karous
Last Hope: Pink Bullets
Mars Matrix
Psyvariar 2
Sturmwind
Triggerheart Exelica
Under Defeat
Zero Gunner 2
Giga Wing
Trizeal

I think they're all amazing so it's hard to choose a favorite, but I really love Zero Gunner 2.

A notable one I'm missing is Shikigami no Shiro II, and ones with mixed reviews I've seen are Giga Wing 2 and Radirgy.

Oh, what unforgettable memories with 'Banagi-O' in Dreamcast. It was with 'Crazy Taxi', 'Rez' and 'Maken X' one of my favorite games in the system.

I still have the PAL version of the game :)

Unity is only "not suitable" because of bad performance with GC. The first thing anyone who develops an STG with Unity does is find ways around the GC, usually with Object Pooling. You can make most STG's with that alone just fine (30-60 bullets on the screen at a time work just fine).

There are other tricks to get thousands of bullets working perfectly. I had a build with 16250 bullets on screen at 60fps on an old machine without stuttering, and without object pooling. The idea that Unity can't do these things is totally incorrect.

Unity is only "not suitable" because of bad performance with GC. The first thing anyone who develops an STG with Unity does is find ways around the GC, usually with Object Pooling. You can make most STG's with that alone just fine (30-60 bullets on the screen at a time work just fine).

There are other tricks to get thousands of bullets working perfectly. I had a build with 16250 bullets on screen at 60fps on an old machine without stuttering, and without object pooling. The idea that Unity can't do these things is totally incorrect.
All the things can be made in Unity, but it's also truth that to do some things in Unity requires much more work in optimization.

Indeed, 'Inversus Deluxe' is an example of a bloody brilliant shmup made in Unity, with hundreds of explosions, bullets and chaos happening in screen, running at 60 FPS even on Switch.

I need to say that its net-code is also in a TOP tier. His creator is a really skilled coder. Damn, even the HD rumble in Switch is one of the most advanced uses of this feature, in a game not made by Nintendo. In the same tier of craziness of 'Super Mario Odyssey'.

The question is, for most developers, to achieve these good results is much more easy by using other engines.

Yeah. And to be honest, I don't know if any other general-purpose engine would do a better job, given that everything you've said is also true of UE4 in my experience.

Yeah. And to be honest, I don't know if any other general-purpose engine would do a better job, given that everything you've said is also true of UE4 in my experience.
In Gamemaker there are some impressive efforts. 'HyperSpace Invaders II Pixel Edition' is a visual tour-de-force. 'Monolith' is also impressive. Or 'Zenohell' and the rest of Toaplan inspired shmups made by Team Grybanser Fox. Specially when you take into account that these games are able to run in systems with really low-specs. Damn, I'm able to run 'Zenohell' in my GPD Win at 60FPS, including the CRT shaders.

And while not as well optimized (it can't run at 60FPS in the GPD Win), 'Ke-Tsu-No-Ana' which is one of the finest Japanese contemporary shumps, it's also made in Gamemaker.

I haven't used UE4 quite as much, but yeah I am aware that similar techniques exist to what I had set up in Unity.

In Gamemaker there are some impressive efforts. 'HyperSpace Invaders II Pixel Edition' is a visual tour-de-force. 'Monolith' is also impressive. Or 'Zenohell' and the rest of Toaplan inspired shmups made by Team Grybanser Fox. Specially when you take into account that these games are able to run in systems with really low-specs. Damn, I'm able to run 'Zenohell' in my GPD Win at 60FPS, including the CRT shaders.

And while not as well optimized (it can't run at 60FPS in the GPD Win), 'Ke-Tsu-No-Ana' which is one of the finest Japanese contemporary shumps, it's also made in Gamemaker.
Please do not make the mistake of thinking that an engine is "well suited" to a genre just because plenty of games are made with it. An existing community might help in bringing new people, but is completely irrelevant when discussing how technically suitable it is.

If that was the case then something like Love2D would be pretty down the list, because very few good STG's are made with it. Except Blue Revolver exists so we know the engine is completely capable of it.

Gamemaker is a fairly efficient engine these days with a great 2D workflow. Unity is more suited to 3D work but can easily to both. They are both suitable for the genre.

I haven't used UE4 quite as much, but yeah I am aware that similar techniques exist to what I had set up in Unity.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking that an engine is "well suited" to a genre just because plenty of games are made with it. An existing community might help in bringing new people, but is completely irrelevant when discussing how technically suitable it is.

If that was the case then something like Love2D would be pretty down the list, because very few good STG's are made with it. Except Blue Revolver exists so we know the engine is completely capable of it.

Gamemaker is a fairly efficient engine these days with a great 2D workflow. Unity is more suited to 3D work but can easily to both. They are both suitable for the genre.
Well, I still need to find a game made in Unity, with the same graphic load in number of sprites of any of the examples that I cited in Gamemaker, which is able to run with the same low specs of a GPD Win.

And I have tried a lot, taking into account that my current systems are a Nintendo Switch, a powerful desktop Mac, so the GPD Win is my only option for Windows only games. I uninstalled the Windows partition of my Mac.

So they have done some things well in the optimization of the 2D part, when 99% of the games made in Gamemaker run at 60FPS in the GPD Win, while all the Unity 2D games run like shit.

The great problem of Gamemaker is that YoYo Games failed in keep the engine relevant through a variety of export modules.

They are coming a year later to the Switch party, and until 2016 it wasn't ported to Xbox One.

I think that with how complicated is the current indie market, developers need to rely in an engine with flexibility to release their games in the maximum number of systems.

Games made in Gamemaker left a lot of money in the table, by missing the first year of Switch.

Damn, they also missed the Wii U.

And the options for touch-based interfaces in Windows tablets are barebones in comparison with Unity.

Has anyone played Garudius '95? The doujin game on the PC-98? It looks pretty solid but I'm not sure if it's worth all the effort that would be involved in playing it.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Gradius '92, '93, '98, etc. fangames allegedly made by someone who goes by Timmyboy1980? I was looking at fangames on the Gradius wikia and I found entries for these games but the pages themselves are baffling and indicate they released on the PCE, Super Famicom, and arcade, which makes me think a later contributor confused them for the official games. I can't find any real info on these, or even if they actually exist.

Has anyone played Garudius '95? The doujin game on the PC-98? It looks pretty solid but I'm not sure if it's worth all the effort that would be involved in playing it.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Gradius '92, '93, '98, etc. fangames allegedly made by someone who goes by Timmyboy1980? I was looking at fangames on the Gradius wikia and I found entries for these games but the pages themselves are baffling and indicate they released on the PCE, Super Famicom, and arcade, which makes me think a later contributor confused them for the official games. I can't find any real info on these, or even if they actually exist.
Retroarch is your best friend. It has made to run some emulators an easy and intuitive task. And in its current from, it includes a lot of quality of life improvements. Like the possibility of download the cores inside the menu of the program, or a vast collection of CRT shaders. And of course, it includes a PC-98 core. Only be sure to also download some updated Zip with all the Bios.

I installed recently this on my Mac, because I'm super into the vein of exploring arcade games made BEFORE 1985. For a lot of years, I mostly ignored all the stuff made pre the 'Super Mario Bros' circa, centering all my investigations in games surged with the change of paradigma this year. But now I'm in the opposite mood. And there are so much things blowing up my head. I can think in 'Space Dungeon', produced by Taito in 1981, the very first twin stick shooter made in video game history a year before 'Robotron: 2084', and that it's like the blueprint of the first 'The Binding of Isaac'. An early dungeon crawler, with separated rooms and the same map structure on screen, an 8 ways fixed directions shooting, and a risk-reward-system in which you decide if to look directly for the exit of each level, or to explore each room to get a bonus score. It's literally, 'The Binding of Isaac' with abstract forms and some randomized patterns in the appearance of the enemies.

This also has made me to think in finally giving a chance to the superior X68000 version of 'Cho Ren Sha 68K', with the correct framerate.

Damn, I'm even tempted of exploring all of these NMK goodies like 'Thunder Dragon 2'. But I'm under the impression that sooner or later, Hamster will release all this catalogue in the Arcade Archives series. And I prefer to only rely in emulation for things than I can't get through official releases.

aww man I found the shmups thread!! whoooo!!!

anyways, I went to Evo and had the opportunity to meet the artist on Blue Revolver, a game I love!

or at least, tried to meet... dude was in his own zone and kinda blowing ppl off. I finally got his attention and I was like "hey man I really like Blue Revolver!" and he's like "oh. thanks. uhhh... if u wanna buy something talk to that guy."

Really sucks too. In this age of social media, patreon, everyone wanting to be an artist, they say the best thing to do is to tell people how much u appreciate their work, but then sometimes u get an attitude that jus doesnt feel so cool.

whatever, I'm sure he's a nice dood and just had an asshole moment, I still bought his poster coz I really do like the game and art regardless.

Retroarch is your best friend. It has made to run some emulators an easy and intuitive task. And in its current from, it includes a lot of quality of life improvements. Like the possibility of download the cores inside the menu of the program, or a vast collection of CRT shaders. And of course, it includes a PC-98 core. Only be sure to also download some updated Zip with all the Bios.

I installed recently this on my Mac, because I'm super into the vein of exploring arcade games made BEFORE 1985. For a lot of years, I mostly ignored all the stuff made pre the 'Super Mario Bros' circa, centering all my investigations in games surged with the change of paradigma this year. But now I'm in the opposite mood. And there are so much things blowing up my head. I can think in 'Space Dungeon', produced by Taito in 1981, the very first twin stick shooter made in video game history a year before 'Robotron: 2084', and that it's like the blueprint of the first 'The Binding of Isaac'. An early dungeon crawler, with separated rooms and the same map structure on screen, an 8 ways fixed directions shooting, and a risk-reward-system in which you decide if to look directly for the exit of each level, or to explore each room to get a bonus score. It's literally, 'The Binding of Isaac' with abstract forms and some randomized patterns in the appearance of the enemies.

This also has made me to think in finally giving a chance to the superior X68000 version of 'Cho Ren Sha 68K', with the correct framerate.

Damn, I'm even tempted of exploring all of these NMK goodies like 'Thunder Dragon 2'. But I'm under the impression that sooner or later, Hamster will release all this catalogue in the Arcade Archives series. And I prefer to only rely in emulation for things than I can't get through official releases.
Thanks for the info. And yeah, there are some incredible games from the late 70s and early 80s that were ahead of their time and yet no one talks about them. I'll definitely check out Space Dungeon. And I do intend to play the x68k version of Cho Ren Sha someday, seeing as it's one of my favorite shmups ever.

anyways, I went to Evo and had the opportunity to meet the artist on Blue Revolver, a game I love!

or at least, tried to meet... dude was in his own zone and kinda blowing ppl off. I finally got his attention and I was like "hey man I really like Blue Revolver!" and he's like "oh. thanks. uhhh... if u wanna buy something talk to that guy."

Really sucks too. In this age of social media, patreon, everyone wanting to be an artist, they say the best thing to do is to tell people how much u appreciate their work, but then sometimes u get an attitude that jus doesnt feel so cool.

whatever, I'm sure he's a nice dood and just had an asshole moment, I still bought his poster coz I really do like the game and art regardless.
Were they there to show off the Double Action update? That seriously sucks about his attitude. I personally avoid meeting anyone whose work I respect for that very reason. I honestly prefer keeping the mythic image of developers I have in my head (unless they out themselves as like, an actual bigot).
He should have at least had the wherewithal to realize his attitude was counterproductive to the whole reason he was there -- to represent his work.

Speaking of Retroarch, does anyone here play older shmups please retropie? If so, would you call it a positive experience?

I'm debating on building one mostly for older shmups and NeoGeo games.

Oh man, the magical moment in which you discover that hidden in the Hangouts section that nobody visits on Era, it exists a shmup thread :)

Seriously, to separate active communities in niche and marginal genres, relegating them to an even less visible space was a mistake in Era. It's like let's try our best to make something marginal even less visible. So the niche content will not disturb the populated threads talking about some new cinematic trailer, fueling the hype-industry.

And I'm sorry of hear your story.

Were they there to show off the Double Action update? That seriously sucks about his attitude. I personally avoid meeting anyone whose work I respect for that very reason. I honestly prefer keeping the mythic image of developers I have in my head (unless they out themselves as like, an actual bigot).
He should have at least had the wherewithal to realize his attitude was counterproductive to the whole reason he was there -- to represent his work.
it was just the artist, they were doing artist alley stuff with his crew.

and doubt his attitude was counterproductive, dude's still making money off prints and commissions. Again, probably just bad timing on me, but at the same time I met an extremely busy Kinucakes / Mariel C and she was still super nice.

anyways... I got that Ketsui Deathtiny new joint in my amazon jp cart!!! uhhhh... any other good things gaming / shmup wise I should get?? Looks like I already have an account there from the time I bought Battle Garegga lol.

Has anyone played Dezaemon Kids! on Vita? I can't seem to get the second disc to work. I go into the menu, reset the game and swap to disc 2 like you're supposed to but then the game seems to get stuck on the title screen and the start button does nothing. I only got Kids! for the 102 Plus games, otherwise I would have gotten Plus (or 2) instead. I'm disappointed this isn't working.

How is Aqua Kitty UDX? On sale for $4.49 on Switch

I’m still conflicted about Zero Gunner 2-on Switch. I am not very familiar with the Dreamcast version.

My biggest concern is reviewers saying it’s too easy, especially the boss fights, and the bullet bugs.

Honestly can't believe we are getting a Ketsui port. It's literally what I always wanted ever since M2 started their STG projects. Can't believe there's an affordable and accessible version of Garegga and now Ketsui. Best timeline.

Let's give to classics shmups some love, Era.

Today, I want to say how much I love the characteristic sound output of the PC-Engine.

I love how classic consoles and arcades had different and distinctive type of sounds.

Oddly, the PC-Engine sound chip was one of the most underrated and less used features of the system

Because at the end, giving that it was much more cheap to manufacture CD-Roms, the companies abandoned the HuCard format to use CDs.

And with the rise of CDs, a lot of companies tried to use this feature to include real recorded soundtracks.

But this had a counterpart: there are not so much games using the sound chip of the PC-Engine in the music department.

And man, how much I love this tiny silicon guy, so close to the luminous and catchy sound of the NES, but with more advanced features.

And there is a bloody brilliant soundtrack for a shmup, composed with the PC-Engine sound chip, that I love so much.

'Terra Cresta II' by Nichibutsu, that by the way, it's one of the exclusive shmups goodies in the system. Never ported to other systems, and never released digitally in the Virtual Console.

Caravan score attack focused games really need much more love and appreciation.

So listen. Listen to this beauty.

Last edited:

Today, I want to say how much I love the characteristic sound output of the PC-Engine.

I love how classic consoles and arcades had different and distinctive type of sounds.

Oddly, the PC-Engine sound chip was one of the most underrated and less used features of the system

Because at the end, giving that it was much more cheap to manufacture CD-Roms, the companies abandoned the HuCard format to use CDs.

And with the rise of CDs, a lot of companies tried to use this feature to include real recorded soundtracks.

But this had a counterpart: there are not so much games using the sound chip of the PC-Engine in the music department.

And man, how much I love this tiny silicon guy, so close to the luminous and catchy sound of the NES, but with more advanced features.

And there is a bloody brilliant soundtrack for a shmup, composed with the PC-Engine sound chip, that I love so much.

'Terra Cresta II' by Nichibutsu, that by the way, it's one of the exclusive shmups goodies in the system. Never ported to other systems, and never released digitally in the Virtual Console.

Thanks for posting this! I love the chiptunes on the PC Engine; in general, I prefer them to the audio found on CD games. Not just in shmups, of course, because games like Dungeon Explorer, Bloody Wolf, and the Bonk games have awesome soundtracks.

Unfortunately, the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 doesn't get nearly the amount of appreciation it deserves for its music.

Honestly can't believe we are getting a Ketsui port. It's literally what I always wanted ever since M2 started their STG projects. Can't believe there's an affordable and accessible version of Garegga and now Ketsui. Best timeline.
Are you genuinely not aware of the 360 and PS3 ports that existed prior to M2 getting the license or

I'm painfully resisting the M2 goodness in case the project ever makes it yo Switch which is my de-facto current gen shmup machine.
I own Ketsui on PS3. I'm still bummed nothing is backwards compatible on X1 besides GUWANGE.

I also wish we'd get a new Raiden Fighters collection on current gen. Please?

How is Aqua Kitty UDX? On sale for $4.49 on Switch

I’m still conflicted about Zero Gunner 2-on Switch. I am not very familiar with the Dreamcast version.

My biggest concern is reviewers saying it’s too easy, especially the boss fights, and the bullet bugs.
If you trust my judgement, I used to own it on DC and tonight I plan on playing it a bit on Switch. I can report back. Haven't played it since before the patches, it was disastrous back then

I'm painfully resisting the M2 goodness in case the project ever makes it yo Switch which is my de-facto current gen shmup machine.
I own Ketsui on PS3. I'm still bummed nothing is backwards compatible on X1 besides GUWANGE.

I also wish we'd get a new Raiden Fighters collection on current gen. Please?

If you trust my judgement, I used to own it on DC and tonight I plan on playing it a bit on Switch. I can report back. Haven't played it since before the patches, it was disastrous back then
Yeah,
Yeah, let me know!

I finally made an Amazon.jp account just to preorder Ketsui Deathtiny. Is there any others I should look at picking up right now?

Last edited:
It's amusing to find how Hot-B decided to ditch the cute'm up roots of 'Insector X' for its Mega Drive port.

So for one of the most luminous shmups made in the classic era, they changed the art style for a weird and nightmare infusing world that it seems taken from a never released shooting game set in in the 'Shin Megami Tensei' universe.

And do you know what?

I'm fine with this. And indeed, this version of 'Insector X' has one of my favorite artistic designs in the entire Mega Drive library.

Its color palette is weird and surreal.

And man, what a great entry point for those looking for games influenced by a Konami horizontal shmup layout.

It's like a Konami shump with a much less unforgiving difficulty curve, and very friendly for beginners in its early stages. Plus a very intuitive weapon system.

The arranged and vastly improved soundtrack composed for the Yamaha YM2612 Megadrive sound chip is bananas.

One of the finest remakes made in the Japanese classic video game era.

Last edited:
So is Game Tengoku Cruisinmix still not patched for release on PS4 following the accidental release two weeks ago? I've been holding off on playing it too much since I wanna know what their unannounced surprise is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9RBuua8t0
Yes! PCE Chip tunes are ace, love me some Coryoon too:

Also, knock yourself out here, courtesy of Sunteam:

New to this thread... *looks around, and it's looking good in here! * . :)

Is Terra Cresta somewhat similar to the first Raiden? Never played it before, but after finally picking up Star Force on the Switch, I'm up for something somewhat in that vein.

Edit: Read a review stating it's a bit like Xevious?

Last edited:
So is Game Tengoku Cruisinmix still not patched for release on PS4 following the accidental release two weeks ago? I've been holding off on playing it too much since I wanna know what their unannounced surprise is.
The unannounced surprise is probably a retail release, I wanna say it leaked months ago.

New to this thread... *looks around, and it's looking good in here! * . :)

Is Terra Cresta somewhat similar to the first Raiden? Never played it before, but after finally picking up Star Force on the Switch, I'm up for something somewhat in that vein.

Edit: Read a review stating it's a bit like Xevious?
'Terra Cresta' is a wild beast, one of the most iconic Japanese shmups, released in a time of transition.

It took a lot of elements of 'Star Force' in its placement of enemies with a purpose of scoring, giving you different waves to destroy them by creating interesting patterns in different areas of the screen. And at the same time, its main loop is something like 8 minutes long. And then, it will start to repeat the same layout increasing the difficulty. And you can play this endlessly, just like 'Star Force'.

But at the same time, while it's a caravan shooting game focused in scoring and intended to be played in short bursts, with an infinite nature like many early 80s games, it looks to the future of the genre in a brilliant way. And it pushes the technology and what things can be achieved in video games.

The scenario created is one of the first examples of the concept of video game "as a journey", same concept used this same year in 'Super Mario Bros'. In which they created a very varied and complex scenario with lot of different art assets, different bosses. So its 8 minutes main loop is like a modern shmup with a duration of 40 minutes. You know, games made later can be played to score, but there was a sense of wonder in discovering what new elements will appear in their maps or scenarios, amusing the player with its variety.

It was also very iconic thanks to its soundtrack. The game was very popular, a major hit enjoyed by the same shmup crowd who enjoyed 'Star Force'. It was perceived like a new 'Star Force' phenomenon, with players competing for high-scores, thanks to the finesse of its design.

So Nihon Bussan invested in creating a more advanced version of the game, by including a costly Yamaha YM3526 synthesizer in the board.

And at the end, this game is remembered thanks to the main theme composed for this YM3526 chip. A luminous track, that is considered one of the most iconic musical compositions created in the classic video game era.

It also should be noted that included a very complex and advanced system in which you can add different pieces to your ship, creating different types of shooting, and by including special moves which will depend of your current ship formation.

An idea taken from its early precursor 'Moon Cresta', but amplified with a lot more of options and ultra-devastating attacks. An idea that predates all the crazy things that shmups will do in the future, regarding distinctive mechanics. Things like the polarity system in 'Ikaruga', the black hole concept in 'Giga Wing', the beam in 'R-Type'... shmups weren't anymore about just shooting things with accuracy. The most iconic titles tried to have a distinctive mechanic. And 'Terra Cresta' was the first major and most successful example trying this, with a level of complexity never seen in past titles.

These last weeks, my most played shmup has been 'Terra Cresta II' for the PC-Engine.

I think that 'Terra Cresta II' is one of the finest shmups created in the Japanese 16 bits home systems era.

It's a misunderstood masterpiece, undervalued because it was trying to be a domestic shmup, not a shmup contained in an arcade cabinet.

It's regarded as easy, but hell, no. To advance in the game is easy. But if you try to score destroying each wave, it's one of the greatest mastepieces in the genre. One of the most complex layouts in a shmup, with the same 'Star Force' "caravan" approach.

And it's a crazy long shmup, with its main loop being close to the 1 hour and 20 minutes mark.

They used the home format to create a crazy thing that can't fit in an arcade cabinet, starting with the length.

It was a love letter to the original 'Terra Cresta', intended to give to the fans of the game the most ambitious take in this formula, full of fan-service and homages to the original arcade entries.

There is a part in the game, in which you will travel to the original game. And they will include the full original 8 minutes loop of 'Terra Cresta' remade with new graphics and an arranged version of its iconic main theme.

Its soundtrack is bloody brilliant.

At this point, it's sitting very high in my list of favorite 16 bits home shmups.

As easy to pick as 'M.U.S.H.A.', as gorgeous and varied as 'Eliminate Down'.

But contrary to these games that are centered in the idea of "video games as journeys", it has a much more complex scoring design with different layers, with its placement of ships and incredible patterns coming from a caravan tradition initiated with 'Star Force'.

Last edited: