Shmups (Shoot 'Em Ups) |OT| THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM

'Terra Cresta' is a wild beast, one of the most iconic Japanese shmups, released in a time of transition.

It took a lot of elements of 'Star Force' in its placement of enemies with a purpose of scoring, giving you different waves to destroy them by creating interesting patterns in different areas of the screen. And at the same time, its main loop is something like 8 minutes long. And then, it will start to repeat the same layout increasing the difficulty. And you can play this endlessly, just like 'Star Force'.

But at the same time, while it's a caravan shooting game focused in scoring and intended to be played in short bursts, with an infinite nature like many early 80s games, it looks to the future of the genre in a brilliant way. And it pushes the technology and what things can be achieved in video games.

The scenario created is one of the first examples of the concept of video game "as a journey", same concept used this same year in 'Super Mario Bros'. In which they created a very varied and complex scenario with lot of different art assets, different bosses. So its 8 minutes main loop is like a modern shmup with a duration of 40 minutes. You know, games made later can be played to score, but there was a sense of wonder in discovering what new elements will appear in their maps or scenarios, amusing the player with its variety.

It was also very iconic thanks to its soundtrack. The game was very popular, a major hit enjoyed by the same shmup crowd who enjoyed 'Star Force'. It was perceived like a new 'Star Force' phenomenon, with players competing for high-scores, thanks to the finesse of its design.

So Nihon Bussan invested in creating a more advanced version of the game, by including a costly Yamaha YM3526 synthesizer in the board.

And at the end, this game is remembered thanks to the main theme composed for this YM3526 chip. A luminous track, that is considered one of the most iconic musical compositions created in the classic video game era.

It also should be noted that included a very complex and advanced system in which you can add different pieces to your ship, creating different types of shooting, and by including special moves which will depend of your current ship formation.

An idea taken from its early precursor 'Moon Cresta', but amplified with a lot more of options and ultra-devastating attacks. An idea that predates all the crazy things that shmups will do in the future, regarding distinctive mechanics. Things like the polarity system in 'Ikaruga', the black hole concept in 'Giga Wing', the beam in 'R-Type'... shmups weren't anymore about just shooting things with accuracy. The most iconic titles tried to have a distinctive mechanic. And 'Terra Cresta' was the first major and most successful example trying this, with a level of complexity never seen in past titles.

These last weeks, my most played shmup has been 'Terra Cresta II' for the PC-Engine.

I think that 'Terra Cresta II' is one of the finest shmups created in the Japanese 16 bits home systems era.

It's a misunderstood masterpiece, undervalued because it was trying to be a domestic shmup, not a shmup contained in an arcade cabinet.

It's regarded as easy, but hell, no. To advance in the game is easy. But if you try to score destroying each wave, it's one of the greatest mastepieces in the genre. One of the most complex layouts in a shmup, with the same 'Star Force' "caravan" approach.

And it's a crazy long shmup, with its main loop being close to the 1 hour and 20 minutes mark.

They used the home format to create a crazy thing that can't fit in an arcade cabinet, starting with the length.

It was a love letter to the original 'Terra Cresta', intended to give to the fans of the game the most ambitious take in this formula, full of fan-service and homages to the original arcade entries.

There is a part in the game, in which you will travel to the original game. And they will include the full original 8 minutes loop of 'Terra Cresta' remade with new graphics and an arranged version of its iconic main theme.

Its soundtrack is bloody brilliant.

At this point, it's sitting very high in my list of favorite 16 bits home shmups.

As easy to pick as 'M.U.S.H.A.', as gorgeous and varied as 'Eliminate Down'.

But contrary to these games that are centered in the idea of "video games as journeys", it has a much more complex scoring design with different layers, with its placement of ships and incredible patterns coming from a caravan tradition initiated with 'Star Force'.
Nice write up, and it definitely pushed me to pick it up earlier today! It's pretty amazing how advanced this is just a year after Star Force. It really developed some ideas present there, and then added more. Was this the first shooter to involve ship parts as add-ons?

Looks like Hamster has the rights to the sequel too! Do you think it has any chance of arriving on the Switch down the road? I'd really be excited to try that!

Touhou Fantastic Danmaku Festival is coming out in 24 hours. It's a fairly well made doujin game for those who enjoy ZUN's pattern style without having to stomach his art as well. Steam hasn't been getting that many good shmups lately and I suppose this one deserves all the attention it can get.

Looks like Hamster has the rights to the sequel too! Do you think it has any chance of arriving on the Switch down the road? I'd really be excited to try that!
Hamster owns the complete catalogue of Nihon Bussan, and they already published its arcade sequel, 'Terra Force', and its arcade pre-quel, 'Moon Cresta', in the Arcade Archives series for Playstation 4.

All the games from the Arcade Archives series for Playstation 4 are coming to Switch, or at least, those games in which Hamster bought the catalogues, so they don't need to sign a new contract. And they own the complete catalogues of Nihon Bussan, UPL, NMK and Video System.

Other completely different story are the games from Konami and Taito. In this case, they only own the rights to publish the games in Playstation 4. So a new contract is required. And with the gold rush of video game classic releases in Switch, Taito for example has decided to release its own collections, like the 'Darius' one.

'Terra Cresta II' for PC-Engine, it's a very complicated scenario.

The game was released in a console, from which Konami has the current publishing rights of its catalogue, after they purchased Hudson.

So basically, we need this almost impossible scenario:

- Nintendo decides to release a PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 virtual console in Switch. But we know that Nintendo is not interested anymore in using this brand or distribution format.

- Konami signs a contract with Hamster and they obtain the publishing rights of 'Terra Cresta II'. So they include this game in the Virtual Console collection. This second part is not problematic, Konami and Hamster have a very good relationship.

Hamster owns the complete catalogue of Nihon Bussan, and they already published its arcade sequel, 'Terra Force', and its arcade pre-quel, 'Moon Cresta', in the Arcade Archives series for Playstation 4.

All the games from the Arcade Archives series for Playstation 4 are coming to Switch, or at least, those games in which Hamster bought the catalogues, so they don't need to sign a new contract. And they own the complete catalogues of Nihon Bussan, UPL, NMK and Video System.

Other completely different story are the games from Konami and Taito. In this case, they only own the rights to publish the games in Playstation 4. So a new contract is required. And with the gold rush of video game classic releases in Switch, Taito for example has decided to release its own collections, like the 'Darius' one.

'Terra Cresta II' for PC-Engine, it's a very complicated scenario.

The game was released in a console, from which Konami has the current publishing rights of its catalogue, after they purchased Hudson.

So basically, we need this almost impossible scenario:

- Nintendo decides to release a PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 virtual console in Switch. But we know that Nintendo is not interested anymore in using this brand or distribution format.

- Konami signs a contract with Hamster and they obtain the publishing rights of 'Terra Cresta II'. So they include this game in the Virtual Console collection. This second part is not problematic, Konami and Hamster have a very good relationship.
Thank you for the informed thoughts, as always ! I hope the second comes true, as this is money just sitting on the table, and I don't see Konami doing much with their older catalog themselves anymore, or much of anything.

Hopefully Taito allows some rights to Hamster, like the Bubble Bobble series.

Astral Gunners is looking like it's going to be good.
http://astralgunners.com/

intuitive yet deep mechanics that change for each character. Whether you're an aggressive player, a strategically minded player, or somewhere in-between, there's bound to be a gunner from the roster of five that fits your playstyle.
We've created distinct character choices that make a large difference in how the game is played, from the shooting to scoring everything changes based on your character.

not sure if this was posted, but I didn't realize there was a new trailer up for psyvariar delta last week

my ps4 standard edition will hopefully be shipping soon so I hope to crank through a clear with my hrap vx-sa next month ;)

I don't know if this would interest anyone here, but I've been playing around with a bunch of STG's to see how well they run under Linux with Proton.

Caladrius Blaze, Ghost Blade HD, RefRain - prism memories -, and DDP Resurrection all run well.

Notes:
RefRain's configuration tool does not work, but settings can be changed easily by modifying config.txt. It's very easy to read.
DDP doesn't seem to like screenshots very much.

Does anyone know what’s the deal with Radiant Silvergun not being ported to PS4 or Switch yet Ikaruga seems to be rereleased perpetually? Would love to properly experience what a lot of people call the best SHMUP of all time without buying a whole new console for it. I'd almost think Treasure has a deal with Microsoft.

Also the last news regarding their new shmup is from 2014 and that Iuchi “is working on it”. Just how decimated is Treasure right now?! :( Their last outing was Sin and Punishment 2, which is 9 years ago....

Last edited:
I'd almost think Treasure has a deal with Microsoft.
It's very likely that they do considering Microsoft paid for the development of both the Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes ports for the 360. But really the only people who know for sure are Treasure themselves, anything else is pure speculation.

Also the last news regarding their new shmup is from 2014 and that Iuchi “is working on it”
Iuchi doesn't work for Treasure, that project is with M2.

Does anyone know what’s the deal with Radiant Silvergun not being ported to PS4 or Switch yet Ikaruga seems to be rereleased perpetually? Would love to properly experience what a lot of people call the best SHMUP of all time without buying a whole new console for it. I'd almost think Treasure has a deal with Microsoft.
Pretty sure Microsoft paid them to port RSG, which is why it's not showing up on different platforms.

It's very likely that they do considering Microsoft paid for the development of both the Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes ports for the 360. But really the only people who know for sure are Treasure themselves, anything else is pure speculation.

Iuchi doesn't work for Treasure, that project is with M2.
I know, but the latest article mentioned Treasure still being involved (with Iuchi and M2), but that was in 2014 unfortunately haha.

I don't know if this would interest anyone here, but I've been playing around with a bunch of STG's to see how well they run under Linux with Proton.

Caladrius Blaze, Ghost Blade HD, RefRain - prism memories -, and DDP Resurrection all run well.

Notes:
RefRain's configuration tool does not work, but settings can be changed easily by modifying config.txt. It's very easy to read.
DDP doesn't seem to like screenshots very much.
That's awesome, good to hear. Did/can you try Eschatos?

I've put a few credits into Last Resort lately. What a cool game. The atmosphere is killer and I love the boss design (lots of unique enemy spawns on top of a few key attacks). Still don't really get the difference between the red and blue pods, though.

I've put a few credits into Last Resort lately. What a cool game. The atmosphere is killer and I love the boss design (lots of unique enemy spawns on top of a few key attacks). Still don't really get the difference between the red and blue pods, though.
Blue pods ricochet. Red pods roll.

And yes, it's a fantastic game. The 80s cyberpunk sci-fi anime aesthetic is in overdrive here and it melts my eyes in the best possible way. One of the few checkpoint R•Type clones I actually enjoy. Maybe even more so than R•Type.

Has one of my all time favorite shmup tracks too:

Last edited:

Just started playing this game. It's pretty wild so far and I dig some of the stuff it's doing. Def worth the 14 bucks if you have an Xbox One. If you like Okami like visuals mixed with Gunwage type gameplay it's pretty well done.

after spending 7-8 months on and off I finally 1 credit cleared (1-all) my muchi muchi pork pcb. that new blue color is so glorious ;) previously cleared 1.01 but 1.0 proved way more difficult. might try to take care of that #1 spot before moving back over to Ibara and giving psyvariar a go

Oh. That's...a shitty surprise in this context but I'll probably double dip like a chump since I'm all about those cute-em-ups.
You might wanna wait, the Japanese publisher announced CruisinMix Special in Famitsu this week, a re-release with more content (including content from Tatsujin/Truxton).

No idea what bearing that'll have on the English PS4 version or the existing PC version.

You might wanna wait, the Japanese publisher announced CruisinMix Special in Famitsu this week, a re-release with more content (including content from Tatsujin/Truxton).

No idea what bearing that'll have on the English PS4 version or the existing PC version.
Wow. That better be DLC in the West. But I am 110% down with Truxton content, holy shit.

Speaking of, I tried starting up the Japanese PS4 download version the other day, just to find that one of the patches had changed the game overall to obey hardware region in deciding on whether X or O should be confirm, but there are still menus hardcoded to only confirm on O. So, merely entering the screen ratio menu softlocked the game, lol

That's not exactly what it says--it says they have the game running on PS4 but it's much harder to accurately emulate than Garegga and all the different branching paths and conditions make it very time-consuming to add extra features like gadgets and so on. They do acknowledge peoples' expectations and how the overseas audience in particular has put in a lot of requests for it.

Over the course of the interview, they talk about how they have literally dozens of games in various states of completion purely for the sake of R&D, and that they're not afraid to shelve things until the circumstances allow for the best possible release; using Dangun Feveron as an example, they had that game "done" on X360 but sat on it for years.

It's a really long interview that covers a lot of requested games, the Rebirth trilogy, their plans with Aleste, the potential of releasing on Switch, Steam and lots of other things that I can't be bothered to summarize.

The short takeaway is they've independently been working on a lot of the games that were highly requested, and the ones they single out at the end of the interview are ESPRa.De (because it was most-requested, but because Atlus owns the copyright it may not happen), plus The Great Ragtime and Edward Randy (mostly because the president likes them), as well as a Sega-published game from the mid-'80s called Equites, purely because one guy at M2 keeps mentioning it over the course of the interview.

The M2 ports are still not on either of the UK storefronts... weird that they can get a publisher for a German release but not for a UK one.
It's not a publisher issue, it's a certification issue. The EU countries that have the game are all the ones covered by the most basic cert/rating requirements, and anything with extra requirements or fees is missing. They're working on getting them out elsewhere, I think it's just a case of finding the time and money to do it.

It's not a publisher issue, it's a certification issue. The EU countries that have the game are all the ones covered by the most basic cert/rating requirements, and anything with extra requirements or fees is missing. They're working on getting them out elsewhere, I think it's just a case of finding the time and money to do it.
Weird, they've had more than enough time now at this point.

When they were at Stunfest they said they were aiming to get it done by the end of this year.

I think they presumed anyone who cared would just hop profiles to buy them, tbh.
I doubt it, while that's not too hard on Xbox that still involves having to buy store credit in Euros off-site and I don't think too many people are going to make a German PSN account just for this.

Good to hear they'll come eventually, cheers.

That's not exactly what it says--it says they have the game running on PS4 but it's much harder to accurately emulate than Garegga and all the different branching paths and conditions make it very time-consuming to add extra features like gadgets and so on. They do acknowledge peoples' expectations and how the overseas audience in particular has put in a lot of requests for it.

Over the course of the interview, they talk about how they have literally dozens of games in various states of completion purely for the sake of R&D, and that they're not afraid to shelve things until the circumstances allow for the best possible release; using Dangun Feveron as an example, they had that game "done" on X360 but sat on it for years.

It's a really long interview that covers a lot of requested games, the Rebirth trilogy, their plans with Aleste, the potential of releasing on Switch, Steam and lots of other things that I can't be bothered to summarize.

The short takeaway is they've independently been working on a lot of the games that were highly requested, and the ones they single out at the end of the interview are ESPRa.De (because it was most-requested, but because Atlus owns the copyright it may not happen), plus The Great Ragtime and Edward Randy (mostly because the president likes them), as well as a Sega-published game from the mid-'80s called Equites, purely because one guy at M2 keeps mentioning it over the course of the interview.
Thank you for the detailed post.