Shmups (Shoot 'Em Ups) |OT| THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM

Batrider <3

I didn't muster up the will to clear advanced course before I sold my board. I actually miss it and would day 1 it as well
Man... I don't even know if I own the board, and I'm too lazy to plug all of them in. I know I had a pristine board that I sold for a pittance, and I know that I was on the trail to buy a replacement.. just don't remember if I did it.

Definitely have Garegga (though I sold my modded board and kept an unused Korea kit) and Bakraid.. Need to dig through the stuff.

Batrider <3

I didn't muster up the will to clear advanced course before I sold my board. I actually miss it and would day 1 it as well
I only first played it recently but Batrider almost instantly became one of my favorite shmups. It's so damn good and charming. The whole Bat trilogy is amazing.
That's not exactly what it says--it says they have the game running on PS4 but it's much harder to accurately emulate than Garegga and all the different branching paths and conditions make it very time-consuming to add extra features like gadgets and so on. They do acknowledge peoples' expectations and how the overseas audience in particular has put in a lot of requests for it.

Over the course of the interview, they talk about how they have literally dozens of games in various states of completion purely for the sake of R&D, and that they're not afraid to shelve things until the circumstances allow for the best possible release; using Dangun Feveron as an example, they had that game "done" on X360 but sat on it for years.

It's a really long interview that covers a lot of requested games, the Rebirth trilogy, their plans with Aleste, the potential of releasing on Switch, Steam and lots of other things that I can't be bothered to summarize.

The short takeaway is they've independently been working on a lot of the games that were highly requested, and the ones they single out at the end of the interview are ESPRa.De (because it was most-requested, but because Atlus owns the copyright it may not happen), plus The Great Ragtime and Edward Randy (mostly because the president likes them), as well as a Sega-published game from the mid-'80s called Equites, purely because one guy at M2 keeps mentioning it over the course of the interview.
I really, really hope we get the whole Bat trilogy ported soon-ish.
Oh so that's why I couldn't find Battle Garegga on PSN! I don't feel like making a seperate PSN account though.
It's super easy and highly recommended to make alternate accounts. Swapping is simple and games bought on one account are accessible by all.

Last edited:
I accidentally deleted all my watched threads a few weeks back, like an idiot, and just realized I haven't seen the shmups thread in a while. 2+2 and here we are.

Hi, shmups-era. It is good to be back. Batrider hype, for sure.

I'm thinking about making an OT for ZeroRanger (formerly FINALBOSS), which finally comes out September 28th. I can't imagine it will get much traction with the masses, but I've been looking forward to it for a while now. Any of you guys looking forward to it and would like to see a thread for it?

I'm thinking about making an OT for ZeroRanger (formerly FINALBOSS), which finally comes out September 28th. I can't imagine it will get much traction with the masses, but I've been looking forward to it for a while now. Any of you guys looking forward to it and would like to see a thread for it?
Looking forward to it.

Even if it only gets a page of replies I'd say it is worth reminding people these games exist.

Anyone heard of/planning to play Rigid Force Alpha? I just learned about it today. Gameplay wise it looks like an homage to Gradius, R-type, and Darius in terms of level design, enemy design, and the fact that there's a force pod you can use. I think it looks like it could be good. I happen to love the environmental obstacles of Gradius and this game really seems to as well.

Looking forward to it.

Even if it only gets a page of replies I'd say it is worth reminding people these games exist.
Yeah, you're right. I'll plan on it then.

Anyone heard of/planning to play Rigid Force Alpha? I just learned about it today. Gameplay wise it looks like an homage to Gradius, R-type, and Darius in terms of level design, enemy design, and the fact that there's a force pod you can use. I think it looks like it could be good. I happen to love the environmental obstacles of Gradius and this game really seems to as well.
I'm playing it for a review.
Though I haven't finalized my thoughts just yet, there are a couple things that stuck out.

First off, there doesn't seem to be an option to switch from analog to d-pad/joystick controls. Unless you don't mind using a keyboard, you're stuck with analog movement, which certainly isn't ideal for a shmup.
Also, unless you're playing on easy, all power-ups are lost upon death. Well, technically you can lose power-ups on easy, if you don't scoop them up after being destroyed, but on normal & hard they're flat-out gone.

I'll try and get a full write-up finished before the weekend is over.

Though I haven't finalized my thoughts just yet, there are a couple things that stuck out.

First off, there doesn't seem to be an option to switch from analog to d-pad/joystick controls. Unless you don't mind using a keyboard, you're stuck with analog movement, which certainly isn't ideal for a shmup.
Also, unless you're playing on easy, all power-ups are lost upon death. Well, technically you can lose power-ups on easy, if you don't scoop them up after being destroyed, but on normal & hard they're flat-out gone.

Thank you for your input. The loss of power ups is par for the course for Gradius games so that doesn't seem like a big problem, though the lack of control options is a bit disappointing. I like to use my arcade stick when I can on PC shmups.

Anyone tried RXN Raijin for the Switch? Seems to be by the makers of Mamorukun (Gulti). Reviews don't seem to point it out as brilliant or unique, but seems recommended for beginners of bullet hells. It also just got a limited physical release by Play Asia.
I have 'RXN -Raijin-', I can't recommend it.

While the game is produced by Gulti (a team created by ex-Seibu Kaihatsu members who worked in the first 'Raiden'), and they also produced the amazing 'Mamorukun Curse!', both games are created by completely different teams.

'Mamorukun Curse!' was created by G. Rev, one of the finest shmup teams in the current Japanese industry. And like any single game created by G. Rev, it's an essential title.

But 'RXN -Raijin-' is created by KAYAC Inc., a Japanese media company whose only previous experience was creating phone titles.

This is their first real big game, and it's not very good.

Indeed, it's much more close to a visual novel than to a shmup.

It consists of small levels in the range of 5 minutes, in which in a minute you will destroy a couple of waves of ships, without a real incentive for scoring. And you will spend the remaining 4 minutes reading dialogues than can't be skipped.

Plus some boss levels... bullet sponge bosses with boring patterns... that can take until 40 minutes to defeat. Yeah, 30/40 minutes repeating the same boring patterns of the bosses, again and again until they are defeated.

And the performance is terrible, it doesn't matter if you play this in portable or in docked mode, with some heavy framerate shuttering that feels very different to normal slowdown, because it make the controls unresponsive.

I really don't know what's the intended public for 'RXN -Raijin-'.

They have created an ultra-ambitious visual novel, with voiced actors, a lot of vocal songs, an anime introduction and whatnot.

But to "enjoy" this visual novel with hours of recorded text and branching paths, you are forced to read the text while you try to avoid bullets in an ultra-cheap and poorly designed shmup. Yeah, the text sometimes will appear in screen, while you are trying to survive.

I can only recommend this to shmup collectors who want to have every single release in the genre in each console.

But it's one of the worst commercial shmups released for a console in a long time.

Thank you for your input. The loss of power ups is par for the course for Gradius games so that doesn't seem like a big problem, though the lack of control options is a bit disappointing. I like to use my arcade stick when I can on PC shmups.
Somebody in the Steam forums mentioned the control issue to the devs and they said they'll look into fixing it in a future patch.

RXN is a Gulti game through and through. It has Kayak's name on it because they bought Gulti a couple years ago.

It's a very new-school game, with a structure almost like a mobile game. I wouldn't call it outright bad but it didn't grab me. It also doesn't run particularly well, IIRC it was a PC game targeting high-end specs that Kayak decided to make a Switch exclusive.

Yuzo Koshiro did most if not all of the music, at least.

I'm really liking the game myself, but there are some quality of life features missing from the game like a restart option mid mission. It looks and runs great aside from some hiccups I encountered in arcade mode for some reason. It's definitely a cut above a lot of the other indie cannon fodder STGs that get released. It has great 80's synth music along with flashy graphics (aside from the face of the AI that talks to you). Theres a decent bit of production value here, but I feel like there could have been some smoother transitions between cinematic and stage start as well as janky load menus. I feel like there's still some optimization that could be had with this game. I found myself having to play this game in windowed mode under certain resolutions due to some video memory error.

Game runs at 4K pretty easily too for people who got the hardware to do so. Shouldn't be too demanding. I was getting tired of polygonal Shoot'em ups not offering this.

Scaled down a bit down to 2K.

Last edited:
Yuzo Koshiro did most if not all of the music, at least.
Wait, what? Guess I gotta check out the soundtrack at least then.
I'm really liking the game myself, but there are some quality of life features missing from the game like a restart option mid mission. It looks and runs great aside from some hiccups I encountered in arcade mode for some reason. It's definitely a cut above a lot of the other indie cannon fodder STGs that get released. It has great 80's synth music along with flashy graphics (aside from the face of the AI that talks to you). Theres a decent bit of production value here, but I feel like there could have been some smoother transitions between cinematic and stage start as well as janky load menus. I feel like there's still some optimization that could be had with this game. I found myself having to play this game in windowed mode under certain resolutions due to some video memory error.

Game runs at 4K pretty easily too for people who got the hardware to do so. Shouldn't be too demanding. I was getting tired of polygonal Shoot'em ups not offering this.

Scaled down a bit down to 2K.
I picked this up but I might have to return it due to that memory error. It won't even start for me though. And I thought I met the minimum requirements. It didn't seem demanding.

Edit: tried again today and got it to load. Dropped the settings so hopefully it'll run fine now.

Last edited:
'Super Crossfighter' is the best take ever made in the 'Space Invaders' formula, in the same level of awesomeness that the first 'Space Invaders Extreme' for Nintendo DS.

And it's by a large margin, the best shmup that can be played in iOS and Android devices.

The game is made by Radiangames, a one man studio consisting in Luke Schneider, who worked in the triple-A industry leading the development of games such as the original 'Descent'. He has been also involved in the development of the recent 'Overload', a contemporary take in the 'Descent' formula.

His level of talent creating 3D graphics with psychedelic patterns and constructing perfect sound designs, is on par with other emblematic European studios such as Housemarque or PomPom Games.

'Super Crossfire' was born with two entries in Xbox 360, released in the XBLIG catalogue.

Later, 'Super Crossfire' was ported to Windows.

But sadly, and due to a demand he was force to retire these three games, changing the name to 'Crossfighter', because it existed an ultra-cheap first person shooter of other company with the same name.

This final Android and iOS release is based in the Windows version, but with new waves and a better balance.

It's not only a really creative approach to the fixed screen layout of shmups with its two lanes, it's also a score-attack masterpiece, including additional infinite modes with classic early 80s arrangements, based in repeating 10 waves in infinite loops with an increasing difficulty curve.

Look at this trailer: here is one of the finest contemporary shmups ever made, that nobody is talking about.

Wait, what? Guess I gotta check out the soundtrack at least then.

I picked this up but I might have to return it due to that memory error. It won't even start for me though. And I thought I met the minimum requirements. It didn't seem demanding.

Edit: tried again today and got it to load. Dropped the settings so hopefully it'll run fine now.
I had to set it to Windowed mode for me to stop getting the memory error.

Raiden V: Director's Cut is on sale at GMG for $8.38 if you use the code RISINGSUN. It's a historic low.

Probably going to snatch it. Haven't heard anything about V. Is it any good?
It's a pretty fun game by Raiden standards, but god damn is it verbose.
I played through it several times not longer after launch, and there wasn't a way I found to disable the story dialog that literally plays non-stop throughout the entire freaking game.
If I hear the captain talk about South American coffee one more time... argh.

I liked V better than any other Raiden game, but I'm not a fan of the series tbh :p
And yeah, goddamn it's verbose.
A good bit of the screen is used just for text and characters talking (on upper right).

Big raiden dx (regardless of the finite life bug on pcb), raiden iv, and raiden fighters fan. I also really enjoyed raiden v despite the mixed opinions. I turned the voiceovers way down so they were easy to avoid :P

Yeah, 'Raiden IV' is amazing, pure awesomeness. Among the variant of shmups with "super speedy bullets", one of my favorites.

Now that so many people is discovering the Psikyo catalogue thanks to the recent Switch ports, 'Raiden IV' plays just like a Psikyo shmup, but with an unforgettable soundtrack.

The Steam release is bananas, with so many extra modes.

The 'Raiden' games are like confort food for me, thanks to the great simplicity of their mechanics and scoring systems. They are only about destroying things and dodging bullets. And with the increased complexity of the genre starting in the early 2000s, this is greatly appreciated. Games that you can play without thinking too much or making complex calculations with numbers.

Last edited:
Oh no, the trailer is 720p, the PS3 release was 720p, the Switch is 720p ... the PC version is going to use locked internal 720p, isn't it? WHY JAPAN, WHY?!

Oh no, the trailer is 720p, the PS3 release was 720p, the Switch is 720p ... the PC version is going to use locked internal 720p, isn't it? WHY JAPAN, WHY?!
Man stop. Don't do this to me. You don't 100% know this. Maybe you're right and now I'm worried. I'm still buying it. At least Rigid Force Alpha is doing it right and they've been patching that game almost everyday.

Last edited:
Man stop. Don't do this to me. You don't 100% know this. Maybe you're right and now I'm worried. I'm still buying it. At least Rigid Force Alpha is doing it right and they've been patching that game almost everyday.
Tozai got two games on Steam, https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Tozai Games, Inc.

Lots of 1080p max, no AA, Spelunker Party locked 30fps, maybe they'll step up their game, guess we'll see.

I'll play some more R-Type Final on PCSX2 in the meantime ;)

Taken from the eShop thread, about the Switch release of 'Monkey King', this a port to avoid at any cost:

I like you adore this game so I bought it in a heart beat....WRONG DECISION.
this port has been a major disapoitment.No display options AT ALL.Like 0!your forced to a windowed wallpaper all the time....no difficulty settings...and worst of all the game runs like horse shit in handheld mode. I’m traveling so haven’t tried docked.AVOID until further updates. How hard can it be to mess this shit up.

By the way, I picked 'Alpha Mission II' in this Hamster sale, and this bastard has one of the most steeped learning curves and more complex weapon systems that I remember in a shmup.

I hate how you're forced to stop firing when a power up appears in screen, if you don't want to see this bouncing. And I hate how you can't be firing all the time, because you need to shoot to the items to select the correct letter.

While it looks as a caravan shooter inspired game, it's the opposite in philosophy to a caravan shooter. Caravan shooters rely a lot in pattern recognition. While in this game, to score well, it relies as much in memorization as 'Ikaruga'.

The ideal setup for scoring well is the second ship, in which you use a secondary button for missiles and destroying the elements in the ground. But given that the flow of missiles is so slow, you're forced to only use the missiles when you're 100% sure that they will impact the target. So at the end, scoring well is as much as to memorize the complete layout in each level.

Plus I hate how overcomplicated is the menu system, which you need to use while you're playing. I don't know if a menu with options in a fast paced arcade game was the better idea.

The thing is, the game seems really fascinating. Because it's so different in mechanics to your normal classic shmup.

But at the same time, all the elements are so overcomplicated, that I don't know if I will have the patience to learn how to play.

Also, I don't know if I'm missing something, to really appreciate the game.

If someone admires 'Alpha Mission II', it will be great to read why he/she loves the game. Because it's a game that I really want to love. I adore its soundtrack, and I love its pixel art style that feels so PC Engine :)

What's everyone's impressions of Shikhondo? I'm really digging the art style, but I'm also tempted to double dip on Ikaruga for the Switch.

And on the topic of the Switch, are there any notable Japanese eshop exclusives?

What's everyone's impressions of Shikhondo? I'm really digging the art style, but I'm also tempted to double dip on Ikaruga for the Switch.

And on the topic of the Switch, are there any notable Japanese eshop exclusives?
We gave it a whirl at the last meet completely blind. Most of us found it pretty, but it starts out boring then starts resorting to cheap tricks to get deaths out of you midway through.

i like the style and music. i don't play bullet hell that much but i can 1cc easy and get to the last boss on normal. need to put more time in but i'd say it's my kind of game. i hope the dev can make more of them. recommended.

'Raiden IV' plays just like a Psikyo shmup
I'd say Psikyo games play like Raiden with fast bullets - the series predates the developer. But they both are development of early Toaplan games like Tiger Heli, Sky Shark/ Flying Shark from the mid-80s.

BTW, Raiden IV rocks in Double Play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPjbtW14TU&app=desktop

You control both ships independently with one controller, and the scoring system adapts to give you a single score. You can think of the second ship as a weapon extension of the first - like an advanced satellite weapon or Force pod (R-Type), where you maintain full movement control.

I'd say Psikyo games play like Raiden with fast bullets - the series predates the developer. But they both are development of early Toaplan games like Tiger Heli, Sky Shark/ Flying Shark from the mid-80s.

BTW, Raiden IV rocks in Double Play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPjbtW14TU&app=desktop

You control both ships independently with one controller, and the scoring system adapts to give you a single score. You can think of the second ship as a weapon extension of the first - like an advanced satellite weapon or Force pod (R-Type), where you maintain full movement control.
I'm very aware of the influence of the first 'Raiden', but you should see that this concrete phrase out of context was in reference to all the new shmup players that have discovered recently the Psikyo games with these Switch ports :)

And that is a great thing. I think that to see a lot of shmup releases in a system with so much visibility as Switch had in its first year, helped a lot to bring new players and enthusiasts to the genre. I know a lot of people that never have played shmups, whose first entry were these Psikyo ports.

I'm glad to see that we share our love for 'Raiden IV', such a phenomenal game. My second favorite entry in the series, just after the first one, if you are able to play with a good auto-fire option. Without auto-fire, the first 'Raiden' always will be able to destroy me :)

I'm very aware of the influence of the first 'Raiden', but you should see that this concrete phrase out of context was in reference to all the new shmup players that have discovered recently the Psikyo games with these Switch ports :)

And that is a great thing. I think that to see a lot of shmup releases in a system with so much visibility as Switch had in its first year, helped a lot to bring new players and enthusiasts to the genre. I know a lot of people that never have played shmups, whose first entry were these Psikyo ports.

I'm glad to see that we share our love for 'Raiden IV', such a phenomenal game. My second favorite entry in the series, just after the first one, if you are able to play with a good auto-fire option. Without auto-fire, the first 'Raiden' always will be able to destroy me :)
Yeah, I did see the reference to new players introduced via the Switch; all the more reason for accuracy! ;)

Good to see more players on board my favourite genre. Regarding older Raiden entries, I'm partial to the gritty Raiden DX, raining bullets and tearing the landscape with phenomenal sprite work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-RJlZCTgc&app=desktop

There is a thing that nobody tell you about shmups. If you have ever tried a flight simulator, to land your airplane in the ground is one of the most complicated things.

So all these years, you have been trained to save the galaxy. You have mastered the first 'Raiden' doing an infinite number of loops with a credit, you have fight against the real boss in 'Dodonpachi'.

But it doesn't matter.

The thing that nobody tell you about shmups, is that you will inevitably die after saving the galaxy, once you return to your home country. Because you weren't trained to correctly land your ship in the ground.

I'm playing 'Argus'. And like in 'Star Force', there are cool letters that once destroyed, they will give you extra points. But only, if you have the skills at the end of the level, to correctly land your ship on the ground.

And every fucking attempt has resulted in a terrible crash, with my ship exploding.

At least these psychopaths at NMK had the deference of not making you to lose a life :)

And I will say that people talking about the legendary difficulty in NMK games, they weren't joking: the souls who have been able to complete the 18 main areas in this game full of devilish bullets coming for you from each single angle of the screen, listen, you are the true heroes of the galaxy.

'Argus' is a perfect brainstorming of what crazy new ideas we can introduce in a shooting game to make of this an unforgiving experience.

These fucking bosses, only taking a single bomb to be destroyed. But good luck, trying to aim your short laser target, very close to its core, between an infinite rain of bullets.

It's like a leap of faith: getting close to the core, pushing the ground attack button with your very short laser target, praying for seeing the core appearing in the very short time that you can push the button with your limited energy, before he vanishes you from existence. Throwing to you tens of bullets with the shape of orbs, that in your memory, are so close to the items in other games that you feel the impulse of taking every one of them. Because you are greedy, you're looking for points. But you will only find death in this game.

Really been enjoying Fantastic Danmaku Festival, game has a nice sets of patterns and is fairly accessible as far as Touhou goes.

Seriously, give this game people who are turned off by how difficult shmups are and tell them to pick Patchouli. It took me only a couple of tries to 1cc normal with her charge shots.