Shmups (Shoot 'Em Ups) |OT| THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM

Oct 31, 2017
UK
At least these psychopaths at NMK had the deference of not making you to lose a life :)
On the subject of death and NMK, ironically, in the game Gunnail, they force you to lose a life before suiciding was a thing in Raizing games to control rank. Gunnail has a shield bar - a low number, so that they behave as lives. The highest multipliers are achieved by destroying your own shields by suiciding. The player below does this on stage 1, but couldn't achieve this on stage 2. The game encourages risky play for a 1 Life Clear, rather than a 1 Credit Clear. You can also see an early form of bullet cancelling going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJj9cw_hZR8&app=desktop

Jan 27, 2018
On the subject of death and NMK, ironically, in the game Gunnail, they force you to lose a life before suiciding was a thing in Raizing games to control rank. Gunnail has a shield bar - a low number, so that they behave as lives. The highest multipliers are achieved by destroying your own shields by suiciding. The player below does this on stage 1, but couldn't achieve this on stage 2. The game encourages risky play for a 1 Life Clear, rather than a 1 Credit Clear. You can also see an early form of bullet cancelling going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJj9cw_hZR8&app=desktop
Yeah, there is a very similar mechanic in 'Zed Blade'. Basically, NMK games dislike the fact of a player milking too much extra lives.

In 'Zed Blade', when you have too much extra lives, the game will introduce harder patterns.

And there was a tip for scoring, forcing you to lose a live in the first level. I can't even remember the exact details, because I was traumatized after looking a video with advanced strategies.

A lot of the things praised in 'Battle Garegga' can be seen in an early form in NMK games.

Like, they always did every single thing in a twisted and demented way, breaking the rules and conventions of the genre.

The thing is, their games are so devilish hard, that I don't care for scoring anymore, not in NMK games. Now my only priority in 'Argus' is to survive. And of course, to learn how to land my ship on the ground :)

This makes me see how much I miss a PC Engine virtual console in Switch. I really need a more relaxed nice-old 16 bits era shmup with cool music to spend some quality time with this tiny machine.

Jan 19, 2018
These fucking bosses, only taking a single bomb to be destroyed. But good luck, trying to aim your short laser target, very close to its core, between an infinite rain of bullets.

It's like a leap of faith: getting close to the core, pushing the ground attack button with your very short laser target, praying for seeing the core appearing in the very short time that you can push the button with your limited energy, before he vanishes you from existence. Throwing to you tens of bullets with the shape of orbs, that in your memory, are so close to the items in other games that you feel the impulse of taking every one of them. Because you are greedy, you're looking for points. But you will only find death in this game.
Haven't played Argus so might be way off, but this kinda sounds like the tech bonus in Strikers 1999 (1945 III). At a certain point the bosses show an orb for a short bit while spewing bullets, if you point blank shoot it it defeats the boss immediately and gives you bonus points.

Jan 27, 2018
Haven't played Argus so might be way off, but this kinda sounds like the tech bonus in Strikers 1999 (1945 III). At a certain point the bosses show an orb for a short bit while spewing bullets, if you point blank shoot it it defeats the boss immediately and gives you bonus points.
Oh, thanks for the info, 'Strikers 1945 III' is the only entry in the series that I haven't played, but it has been announced for Switch, so I hope to be playing the game this year.

In a more serious tone, playing and learning a bit more of 'Argus', it's a game that I'm really enjoying. Maybe not a classic or an essential title, because it has some flaws, like some heavy slowdown in some parts until the point of feeling sluggish. But at the same time, it's a fascinating title doing some things in crazy ways, full of ideas never seen before, for a game released in 1986.

The "caravan" variant of shooters is the thing that more has captivated my imagination this year. And 'Argus' has one of the best caravan layouts that I have seen. I consider a "caravan" layout, or a layout inspired in 'Star Force', to a game centered in offering different paths, waves of ships or options for scoring in each section. So for example, you can decide if you want to attack a formation of ships in the left, or one in the right. Normally, there will be an option offering more points, and this option will be the hardest. They also rely sometimes in some randomized parts based in pattern recognition instead of in learning fixed layouts, and they tend to have short structures that are loopable, by increasing the difficulty in each loop. They are not the hardest games in the genre, because a lot of times, the ships will try to avoid you instead of trying to kill you, given that in a caravan game the focus is in scoring, so the hardest part should be how to achieve an higher score, learning the hidden bonus options in its layout.

Taking these premises of the "caravan" variant, 'Argus' does a lot of brilliant things. Basically, there is scroll in both directions, but it's infinite in the horizontal axis. And this increases the paths or options for scoring like in any other caravan game. And there is also mazes with destructible objects that are optional. Normally, they are ultra hard and with an high probability of dying if you do a single movement wrong, but they are super fun and offer a lot of variety to the layout.

I also love how they have integrated your typical secondary fire to destroy objects in the ground, taken from 'Xevious', but with a laser target that you can push. So while the laser target is activated, you will destroy these objects in an easy way. But because the energy of the laser is limited, and it takes some time to recharge again, you can't abuse of pushing the button. Forcing you to create a strategy.

The use of bombs is also very creative. You need to collect three letters to obtain a bomb. If you get the bomb, it will be floating in the level. You decide when to pick the bomb item to destroy all the enemies, and based in the number of enemies in the screen, there will be a score multiplier.

And in each level, you have a different weapon that will force you to create different strategies. With enemies relying in the use of this level weapon. In the second level, while you don't power up the laser weapon, it's like a thin laser. And some enemies are surrounded by shields, with only a free space with the same pixel extension of your laser. So if you don't collect the three power ups to upgrade your weapon, they are ultra-hard to destroy.

And you can collect three B letters to obtain a temporary shield. Always, in the bosses parts there are two Bs. So an effective way to kill them, is using this shield to try to attack its core. But at the same time, you can also try to destroy the rest of its secondary parts with your laser target, getting a bonus score.

So from a scoring design, layout and placement of enemies, the game is pretty awesome.

I also have tried the easy mode, this is like the first shmup that in a lot of time has forced me to reduce the difficulty from the standard normal mode. And in the easy mode it's a really fun experience, without the constant hellish rain of bullets, in which you can concentrate in scoring strategies, bu at the same time, with the difficulty of a normal shmup LOL.

Apr 18, 2018
Vritra: Complete Edition

Been very pleasantly surprised by this, started out as a mobile game but you would never know it. Tight controls, just two buttons, rapid fire and boost shot, your boost shot recharges constantly and the more you use it, the higher you score.
You play as a dragon and there are different weapons that are constantly dropping and you pick and choose which one you think would be right for each situation.

You get two separate games, the regular one and "Mugen" which is an endless survival mode.

There are leaderboards for each difficulty setting in the normal mode, and for each weapon in endless mode.

Oct 28, 2017
So I just received Retro-Bit's R-Type Collector's Edition double pack for the SNES. Well technically, I received it (and the Holy Diver Collector's Edition) yesterday but I was so distracted when I got home from work yesterday that I didn't even notice the package sitting on my porch. I noticed them as I was pulling out of my driveway this morning for work so I grabbed the package and have them at the office with me. Getting to my point, when I opened the shipping box containing Holy Diver and the R-Type double pack out popped the R-Type double pack Certificate of Authenticity stating that the version I have is #88 out of 1,000 copies thus making me a member of the First 1,000 Club. I then opened the actual collector's edition box for the R-Type double pack and out popped yet another certificate stating that my copy of the game is #2,846 out of 2,900 copies... not to leave you all in suspense but I have not opened the game box yet to confirm that I have received the correct version. I did double check my order summery email to confirm which version I ordered which is when I remembered that I actually did order the last of the first print run of the R-Type double pack that was in stock, so I should have the blue cartridge. Anyway, my boss just got in which means my day is officially starting so I probably won't be able to open the game box proper until lunch time.

Anyway, I'll let y'all know what happens!

Jan 30, 2018
Really been enjoying Fantastic Danmaku Festival, game has a nice sets of patterns and is fairly accessible as far as Touhou goes.

Seriously, give this game people who are turned off by how difficult shmups are and tell them to pick Patchouli. It took me only a couple of tries to 1cc normal with her charge shots.
I've had this on my wishlist a while and I'll probably buy it soon thanks to your recommendation.
Oh, thanks for the info, 'Strikers 1945 III' is the only entry in the series that I haven't played, but it has been announced for Switch, so I hope to be playing the game this year.

In a more serious tone, playing and learning a bit more of 'Argus', it's a game that I'm really enjoying. Maybe not a classic or an essential title, because it has some flaws, like some heavy slowdown in some parts until the point of feeling sluggish. But at the same time, it's a fascinating title doing some things in crazy ways, full of ideas never seen before, for a game released in 1986.

The "caravan" variant of shooters is the thing that more has captivated my imagination this year. And 'Argus' has one of the best caravan layouts that I have seen. I consider a "caravan" layout, or a layout inspired in 'Star Force', to a game centered in offering different paths, waves of ships or options for scoring in each section. So for example, you can decide if you want to attack a formation of ships in the left, or one in the right. Normally, there will be an option offering more points, and this option will be the hardest. They also rely sometimes in some randomized parts based in pattern recognition instead of in learning fixed layouts, and they tend to have short structures that are loopable, by increasing the difficulty in each loop. They are not the hardest games in the genre, because a lot of times, the ships will try to avoid you instead of trying to kill you, given that in a caravan game the focus is in scoring, so the hardest part should be how to achieve an higher score, learning the hidden bonus options in its layout.

Taking these premises of the "caravan" variant, 'Argus' does a lot of brilliant things. Basically, there is scroll in both directions, but it's infinite in the horizontal axis. And this increases the paths or options for scoring like in any other caravan game. And there is also mazes with destructible objects that are optional. Normally, they are ultra hard and with an high probability of dying if you do a single movement wrong, but they are super fun and offer a lot of variety to the layout.

I also love how they have integrated your typical secondary fire to destroy objects in the ground, taken from 'Xevious', but with a laser target that you can push. So while the laser target is activated, you will destroy these objects in an easy way. But because the energy of the laser is limited, and it takes some time to recharge again, you can't abuse of pushing the button. Forcing you to create a strategy.

The use of bombs is also very creative. You need to collect three letters to obtain a bomb. If you get the bomb, it will be floating in the level. You decide when to pick the bomb item to destroy all the enemies, and based in the number of enemies in the screen, there will be a score multiplier.

And in each level, you have a different weapon that will force you to create different strategies. With enemies relying in the use of this level weapon. In the second level, while you don't power up the laser weapon, it's like a thin laser. And some enemies are surrounded by shields, with only a free space with the same pixel extension of your laser. So if you don't collect the three power ups to upgrade your weapon, they are ultra-hard to destroy.

And you can collect three B letters to obtain a temporary shield. Always, in the bosses parts there are two Bs. So an effective way to kill them, is using this shield to try to attack its core. But at the same time, you can also try to destroy the rest of its secondary parts with your laser target, getting a bonus score.

So from a scoring design, layout and placement of enemies, the game is pretty awesome.

I also have tried the easy mode, this is like the first shmup that in a lot of time has forced me to reduce the difficulty from the standard normal mode. And in the easy mode it's a really fun experience, without the constant hellish rain of bullets, in which you can concentrate in scoring strategies, bu at the same time, with the difficulty of a normal shmup LOL.
Awesome writeup as usual. I bought Argus when it came out on Switch but have yet to actually play it. I'll have to dig in now.
So I just received Retro-Bit's R-Type Collector's Edition double pack for the SNES. Well technically, I received it (and the Holy Diver Collector's Edition) yesterday but I was so distracted when I got home from work yesterday that I didn't even notice the package sitting on my porch. I noticed them as I was pulling out of my driveway this morning for work so I grabbed the package and have them at the office with me. Getting to my point, when I opened the shipping box containing Holy Diver and the R-Type double pack out popped the R-Type double pack Certificate of Authenticity stating that the version I have is #88 out of 1,000 copies thus making me a member of the First 1,000 Club. I then opened the actual collector's edition box for the R-Type double pack and out popped yet another certificate stating that my copy of the game is #2,846 out of 2,900 copies... not to leave you all in suspense but I have not opened the game box yet to confirm that I have received the correct version. I did double check my order summery email to confirm which version I ordered which is when I remembered that I actually did order the last of the first print run of the R-Type double pack that was in stock, so I should have the blue cartridge. Anyway, my boss just got in which means my day is officially starting so I probably won't be able to open the game box proper until lunch time.

Very jealous!

Sep 10, 2018

It is worth nothing.

Oct 28, 2017
I dig the blue, pink, and white.
Yeah, it’s a rad color scheme. I’ll be honest, I’m not sure why pins, stickers, and postcard sized cards with art on them have seemingly become the bonus material for fucking everything but I’m WAY into the R•Type notepad this came with. As for the games, I played a lot of R•Type 3 on the Wii VC but I missed that game and Super R•Type back in the day so it’ll be great to really dig into these games more but I’m loving them so far

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Woof! I'll post this on here, and on the eshop thread as well.

I've got Shikhondo pre-ordered for the Switch via PlayAsia, and figured I'd pick it up digitally before that arrives, based on the really positive Steam reviews.

I really regret this, well both, purchases already.

Backgrounds are simple scrolling illustrations, with little to no animation or dimension whatsoever. No rumble at all. And almost inaudible shot firing sounds and explosions. Enemies in the first level consist of I think two varieties, plus a scaled out and pixelated, then zoomed in, boss.

Just overall not a pleasant experience, and not worth more than $5, from what I can tell so far. Only two character classes to choose from, and the danmaku bullet variation feels more in place of actual enemy bullet placement than thoughtful design.

Watch some videos before buying...

Jan 27, 2018
Vritra: Complete Edition

Been very pleasantly surprised by this, started out as a mobile game but you would never know it. Tight controls, just two buttons, rapid fire and boost shot, your boost shot recharges constantly and the more you use it, the higher you score.
You play as a dragon and there are different weapons that are constantly dropping and you pick and choose which one you think would be right for each situation.

You get two separate games, the regular one and "Mugen" which is an endless survival mode.

There are leaderboards for each difficulty setting in the normal mode, and for each weapon in endless mode.
Thanks for sharing this! The games looks amazing, like the most impressive new shmup release in this 2018. They really nail the distinctive art style used in the early 2000s, by mixing Japanese classic elements with psychedelic and abstract layouts looking to a western tradition of shmups.

I'm really intrigued by the endless survival mode, is this some type of infinite level with procedural patterns, in the vein of the infinite arena modes in twin stick shooters?

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot about this thread.

Everybody that wants some M2 goodness on PS4, just make a JP account.
Purchase some point cards, done.

I have bought and played all the releases, and as soon as you get your bearings, the menus are fine.

M2's CEO quote about him wanting to bring the Yagawa trilogy to the new consoles makes me happy.
Bring it on.

Oct 25, 2017
Wildwood, MO
Forgot about this thread.

Everybody that wants some M2 goodness on PS4, just make a JP account.
Purchase some point cards, done.

I have bought and played all the releases, and as soon as you get your bearings, the menus are fine.

M2's CEO quote about him wanting to bring the Yagawa trilogy to the new consoles makes me happy.
Bring it on.
What's notable there now that's not on the Western PSN?

Oct 27, 2017
What's notable there now that's not on the Western PSN?
Currently from M2, i think there is only one release that's not on western stores.

Mahou Daisakusen, by Raizing
Site - https://m2stg.com/mahou-daisakusen/
Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yuedQM_7Fs
The game is very good, with a distinct magic/medieval theme; very colorfull and fun.

There's also Dangun Feveron by CAVE. It is available on the US, but i don't see it on the EU store.

Ketsui is gonna be released this november, and who knows when it's going to come over to the western side.

Oct 25, 2017
Get a JP account.
If you really want to play the games, it's worth it.
If you only have a passing interest, maybe it's not for you.
that's not the issue, i had one for many years. would be good to see these games released in every region, that's all. also physical options. single or collections!

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and ordered the physical version of Rolling Gunner. Anyone else in the states order it too?

I'll also buy it again when it is released on STEAM. I just wanted to play it now. So far it looks like the best new shmup of 2018, so I couldn't help myself.

Jan 30, 2018
I went ahead and ordered the physical version of Rolling Gunner. Anyone else in the states order it too?

I'll also buy it again when it is released on STEAM. I just wanted to play it now. So far it looks like the best new shmup of 2018, so I couldn't help myself.
Wait. Where can you buy this? I thought it was only at Comiket. I want it!

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have any experience with Soldner-X and it's sequel? I played it a lot back in the day and I find 2 easier since its much more standard bullet hell(which is why i didnt like it) but now that im playing the 1st one again I enjoy 2 more now because its like...more about navigating your ship rather than shooting enemies, if that makes any sense. And dying is basically insta restart since you lose all your equipment and the game barely gives any of it back to you. I have the beat hard mode and beat nightmare trophies left but its so frustrating. I still have the Raiden games and Darius and Ikaruga in my future but those I understand my limits at least.

Jan 27, 2018

Got the right one! And two instruction manuals for some reason?

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say? Is this some misguided attempt to make me feel bad about my purchase or did I misinterpret your comment?
Seeing all the negative feedback, I will say that I see a lot of value in this 'R-Type' edition.

Because to begin with, you're giving your money to an official licensed product, so the original creators will se royalties. Something that will not happen if you pay for a second hand copy of the game: the money will go to a scalper instead to the original creators of the game.

Also, this edition is really beautiful, and I adore the use of pink.

And when I saw this image, you made my day and I smiled of pure happiness. You bring me back so many found memories of this series, thanks to your photos.

So many thanks for sharing this with the community.

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing all the negative feedback, I will say that I see a lot of value in this 'R-Type' edition.

Because to begin with, you're giving your money to an official licensed product, so the original creators will se royalties. Something that will not happen if you pay for a second hand copy of the game: the money will go to a scalper instead to the original creators of the game.

And when I saw this image, you made my day and I smiled of pure happiness. You bring me back so many found memories of this series, thanks to your photos.

Yeah I agree. It's OFFICIALLY licensed and looks great. I don't see why anyone should be upset about this.

Sep 10, 2018

The money will go to 2018 IREM? How many of the original designers are still working there? I will tell you: 0

This is an OFFICIALLY sponsored scalper operation.

Jan 27, 2018
The money will go to 2018 IREM? How many of the original designers are still working there? I will tell you: 0

This is an OFFICIALLY sponsored scalper operation.
Do you know that royalties in any type of intellectual property are a thing? And persons like the music composers will always see a fixed percentage of money, every time than a sale with one of his works generates a revenue.

Not to talk of your persistence with this subject: an user, with his money, decided to by a product that he wants to play. He shared this with a lot of illusion. If you don't like this, don't buy this. But stop derailing the thread in an infinite loop. Because with this type of toxic attitude, if every time that a person decides to buy something that he likes, he feels judged by the community, at the end, the people will decide to not post in these threads.

I'm 100% digital, and every time that a person talks of his passion for this hobby, buying a limited physical edition or buying a PCB, I don't need to comment every message saying that I prefer digital games.

And you have posted various messages with this subject, something that is strictly prohibited by the ERA community rules, walking in circles around the same topic, once the two persons have clearly expressed his opinion.

The user said to you, after your persistent narrative, that he was interested in the game, and because of this, he purchased the game. With this, the conversation should be ended at this point. It doesn't need any reply, it has nothing more to add. He was interested. It's his money. Stop judging or trying to attack this user with an infinite chain of childish replies.