Shmups (Shoot 'Em Ups) |OT| THE FULL EXTENT OF THE JAM

Neko Navy coming to the switch - https://fruitbatfactory.com/nekonavy/daydream.html

If you don't have the PC version already, make sure you pick this up, it's excellent!
You can still download the very generous demo that lets you play through the entire game on normal difficulty here if you want to try it out - http://deathmofumofu.sakura.ne.jp/game/neko_navy/

Rebalanced stages - harder DEATH difficulty!
Infinite fun with the new ∞ Mode!
I really hope that gets patched into the pc version. I'd love a well balanced endless mode.

PC version on steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/592270/Neko_Navy/

I'm over here dreaming up a Capcom shmup bundle, but isn't every game in the beat 'em up bundle both developed and published by Capcom? All the shmups we'd really want (Progear, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix...) were only published by Capcom. Could complicate licensing.

Is it possible to criticize a product or not?
I simply stated my opinion regarding cash stealing projects based on this "retro" popularity wave.

I am sorry if he felt offended, it is my opinion.

I'm over here dreaming up a Capcom shmup bundle, but isn't every game in the beat 'em up bundle both developed and published by Capcom? All the shmups we'd really want (Progear, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix...) were only published by Capcom. Could complicate licensing.
There are still plenty of Capcom-developed shmups out there.

The 194X series (1942, 1943, 1941: Counterattack, 19XX, etc)
Varth: Operation Thunderstorm
Forgotten Worlds
Exed Exes
Last Duel
Legendary Wings
Section Z
Side Arms
Vulgus
and the already mentioned Eco Fighters.

Is it possible to criticize a product or not?
I simply stated my opinion regarding cash stealing projects based on this "retro" popularity wave.

I am sorry if he felt offended, it is my opinion.
You called it a repro which has become a cute euphemism for bootleg in the retro community. It's not, it's an officially licensed product.

I hate the repro thing or specifically how accepted they have become despite the obvious IP theft and fans translators having their hard work stolen but legitimate reprints by the legal rights holders are completely different and are to be commended.

There are still plenty of Capcom-developed shmups out there.

The 194X series (1942, 1943, 1941: Counterattack, 19XX, etc)
Forgotten Worlds
Exed Exes
Last Duel
Legendary Wings
Section Z
Side Arms
Vulgus
and the already mentioned Eco Fighters.
True, but most of these are already available in the Capcom Arcade Cabinet, thus aren't nearly as interesting to me as a complete CPS-2 shmup collection.

And the beat'em up collection is all CPS-2, so I'm dreaming big.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered the physical version of Rolling Gunner. Anyone else in the states order it too?

I'll also buy it again when it is released on STEAM. I just wanted to play it now. So far it looks like the best new shmup of 2018, so I couldn't help myself.
I got my copy a little over a week ago and it's good. Really weird installing and patching a physical PC game in 2018 though, lol.

Y'all really should be playing ZeroRanger, it's seriously impressive.

How's this for a Capcom arcade shmup bundle:
Side Arms
Gun.Smoke
U.N. Squadron
Eco Fighters
Giga Wing
Mars Matrix
Progear

...I would buy 3 copies. At least.

Picked up ZeroRanger and Solid Aether, 10 coins or less ... there's really not much to think about.

I just cleared Solid Aether. IT IS FRESH and very pure. The soundtrack is amazing. The final boss and its music gave me dopamine induced goosebumps. Delightful stuff!

I should really plug these guys more often. I don't know of a better resource of shmup goodness on youtube. Just noticed they dropped a Zanac episode, which is cool. Don't see a ton of the 8-bit shmups under a microscope.

I should really plug these guys more often. I don't know of a better resource of shmup goodness on youtube. Just noticed they dropped a Zanac episode, which is cool. Don't see a ton of the 8-bit shmups under a microscope.

Oh thanks for posting that! I found these guys, and really found them refreshing and earnest, when I was looking into Star Force a few weeks ago....

leder

Self-requested temporary ban.
Y'all really should be playing ZeroRanger, it's seriously impressive.

How's this for a Capcom arcade shmup bundle:
Side Arms
Gun.Smoke
U.N. Squadron
Eco Fighters
Giga Wing
Mars Matrix
Progear

...I would buy 3 copies. At least.
I'd buy 10. Hopefully that'd help fund a volume 2 with Forgotten Worlds, Varth, Dimahoo, 1944 The Loop Master and 19XX.

Last edited:
That's almost $100. I wonder how big it is.... I remember similar ships from a few years back, I think from R-Type, but those were super cheap in comparison.
It's a double pack and it's figma, the pricing is in line with their other fan goods. The product descriptions says: "Overall length: about 120 mm each". Here are the prototypes on a 225x150mm cutting mat.