Splatoon 2 |OT| HIGHTIDE ERA IS THE BEST

Welp, had my first hacker. Dude named P2P & Bad being a dick and fucking up people in Rank X Zones. Don't like the subscription or the netcode, clearly the best way to express that is by getting your system banned before the paywall. Reporting him was more satisfying than it should be

At least now I can say I've seen a hacker in my 500 something hours, I guess that's something

I've played in at least 10 rotations since Starfish Mainstage came in on Friday and not one of them had it in ranked. I just want to play the newish map please

I wonder what Splatoon 2's lifetime sales will be. It should be around 7.3-7.5 million by Septermber's end. Wonder if it can get to 12 million.
10 million for the base game, 8 million for the octo expansion, and about 90 million for the nautilus expansion. But seriously I'm betting about 10 million, I think it could get higher if it continues to be supported with DLC and whatnot well into 2019, which it isn't :(, but being an oldish game behind the NSO paywall will limit its growth regardless

I've played in at least 10 rotations since Starfish Mainstage came in on Friday and not one of them had it in ranked. I just want to play the newish map please

10 million for the base game, 8 million for the octo expansion, and about 90 million for the nautilus expansion. But seriously I'm betting about 10 million, I think it could get higher if it continues to be supported with DLC and whatnot well into 2019, which it isn't :(, but being an oldish game behind the NSO paywall will limit its growth regardless
The game is going to do another 2 million at least in Japan alone I think. That should already put it around 9.5 million. I think hitting 10.5 million plus is pretty much guaranteed really.

Welp, had my first hacker. Dude named P2P & Bad being a dick and fucking up people in Rank X Zones. Don't like the subscription or the netcode, clearly the best way to express that is by getting your system banned before the paywall. Reporting him was more satisfying than it should be

At least now I can say I've seen a hacker in my 500 something hours, I guess that's something
Oh this piece of garbage?

Rolls are busted so you should be using them all the time in fights. They're hard to track and good for closing gaps, but only use them when fighting someone else because there's end lag after using two. Practice aiming drills in the training hall after a roll because that's the quickest way to get kills with them but you have to land four shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Snv2ZOr1QE

Just stuff like that.
Will mess around whit it a little today, thanks!

The game is going to do another 2 million at least in Japan alone I think. That should already put it around 9.5 million. I think hitting 10.5 million plus is pretty much guaranteed really.
It'll be interesting to see if the sales drop off once the game stops getting updates. Even though it's a bit selfish, I kinda hope it does so that they plan to support Splatoon 3 for a longer time than they did 2.

The Foil Squeezer is just straight up better than the Forge, there's no competition at all. They both have similar kits, but the Foil Squeezer has splat bombs which are way more useful for just about every situation. It also only needs 180p to charge bubbles, compared to 200p with the Forge which is a pretty big deal. Then for the main weapon: the Squeezer has superior range than the Pro. It has the second highest range in the shooter class. Despite being a long range shooter, it has pretty much none of the long ranged shooter downsides. It's a three shot kill weapon that has standard mobility when strafing and shooting (the same speed as a Tentatek) compared to Pro, Jet Squelcher, etc which are sitting ducks while firing. It gives you a much better fighting chance when fighting more mobile weapons like dualies. In the dualie meta that's a pretty big deal.

You also don't have to worry about shooter RNG (not like that's an issue with the Pro either) because it has very little shot deviation when tapping ZR. It can also paint with autofire, albeit it's a bit mediocre at it. It leaves a lot of gaps and only has Splattershot range, but your ink efficiency is massively improved when using the Squeezer's autofire. The Squeezer normally consumes 2.5% of ink per tap shot, but once you hold down ZR for autofire it becomes an above average 0.9%. Meanwhile the Pro consumes 2% of ink per shot and combined with the slow strafing speed you won't be covering enough ground in time when you really need to paint and you're going to constantly run dry. Painting and map control is how you win games; and while your role with the Squeezer isn't necessarily to support your team by painting, the fact it exists as a viable option is huge. The more options a weapon has for more situations the better, that's why dualies are considered the best weapon class in the game right now.

The vanilla Squeezer's kit is okay. Stingray works on some maps and modes, but walls just aren't good in Splatoon 2 because of the map design. Its alternate kit, the Foil Squeezer is insane though. The only downsides I can think of with the Foil Squeezer is that it commands both a quick trigger finger and consistent accuracy to make the most out of it. Tap shots aren't very ink efficient either, but you shouldn't be running out of ink by mashing ZR at all, so I don't really mind it. If you want to spam splat bombs, you have to be mindful of your ink management but stuff like that is learned over time.

tl;dr the Foil Squeezer is a more challenging weapon to use for the most part, but has way more potential than the Forge. Also when you learn how to use the bubble blower you can do some crazy shit:

Thanks for this!
I used it last night for a couple of hours and unfortunately it isn't for me. I tried to replicate those bubble splats, but the bubbles never exploded that quickly :P

Thanks for this!
I used it last night for a couple of hours and unfortunately it isn't for me. I tried to replicate those bubble splats, but the bubbles never exploded that quickly :P
Are you using Object Shredder? Object Shredder also gives you additional damage on your own bubbles, which makes popping them so much easier. That and a decent amount of Special Power Up (at least a main and two subs) are the two most important abilities to use when playing Foil/Forge. Special Power up increases the size and blast radius of bubbles which only boosts your multikill potential.

The basic strategy is to use your bubbles, throw your bomb at them then start shooting. Once you get used to that, start making the habit of throwing a splat bomb at your feet, throwing two bubbles before it blows up, then throwing another splat bomb at them (using your special instantly refills your ink tank). If you time it right, the two splat bombs are all you need to blow up your bubbles, leaving you one last one to use should anybody live through the first explosion. Or better yet, saving it for someone else as a follow up attack. The timing is a little strict, but just remember not to throw your bomb right away. Once you get the muscle memory down it's a power strategy whenever you need to clear out areas for your team. I tweeted out one way to do it:

Are you using Object Shredder? Object Shredder also gives you additional damage on your own bubbles, which makes popping them so much easier. That and a decent amount of Special Power Up (at least a main and two subs) are the two most important abilities to use when playing Foil/Forge. Special Power up increases the size and blast radius of bubbles which only boosts your multikill potential.

The basic strategy is to use your bubbles, throw your bomb at them then start shooting. Once you get used to that, start making the habit of throwing a splat bomb at your feet, throwing two bubbles before it blows up, then throwing another splat bomb at them (using your special instantly refills your ink tank). If you time it right, the two splat bombs are all you need to blow up your bubbles, leaving you one last one to use should anybody live through the first explosion. Or better yet, saving it for someone else as a follow up attack. The timing is a little strict, but just remember not to throw your bomb right away. Once you get the muscle memory down it's a power strategy whenever you need to clear out areas for your team. I tweeted out one way to do it:

Oh! I didn't know about Object Shredder. I guess I'm trying it again on my next play session. Thanks!
I'm still way more efficient and better using the Splattershot Pro when it comes to single/one-on-one combat, tho... I guess my dexterity isn't good enough for the Foil ( ._.)

That feeling when you've stopped playing Splatoon 2 for a couple of days, you comeback a little bit rusty and you get freaking wrecked...

Last edited:
went on a tear with the tri slosher during this splat zones rotation. got up to S+7, highest I've been in any mode

if you have a competent team locking out the other team on port mackerel is crazy with the tri slosh. play back line in the zone and behind all their crates and just lob burst bombs over to help out with some splash damage and then quickly splat anyone who actually makes it to the zone

Here's one of the new songs coming to the game in 4.1, I assume it will be this one and the trailer theme. It's ok, definitely not as good as the song from the trailer. No English name yet

Official upload for the trailer one:

I too find it the better one from the two (female singer has a great voice*), but they're both good stuff.

edit: *lore explains why lol

Last edited:
How so?

I much prefer S+/X rank than the lower ranks; if nothing else your teammates are more likely to be competent.
As soon as S hits, I'm blatantly getting hit with a losing team streak. Do I not have 50/50 odds to be put on the team that's better? Why do I always happen to be on the team that gets team wiped, lose the objective quickly, or have to fight to the death for a win? Even if I were the reason my team always loses (I'm not), you'd think I'd get matched with a team that carries me once in a while.

But nooooooooo. Once I get to S +0 (there's fucking SEVEN of these????) fucking forget it. I can't even make it to the safe point of S +0 yet. I win maybe one or two rounds then lose all the rest. Again, you'd think I might get put on the winning team just by chance, but nooooooo.

It's annoying as hell when you feel like you're just constantly on the losing team by pure chance.

Do I not have 50/50 odds to be put on the team that's better? Why do I always happen to be on the team that gets team wiped, lose the objective quickly, or have to fight to the death for a win? Even if I were the reason my team always loses (I'm not), you'd think I'd get matched with a team that carries me once in a while.
Get out of this mindset quickly, because it will not serve you well.

The team with four strong players is stronger. This applies to both you expecting to be carried half the time by pure luck, and to playing in a way that enables teammates.

First point, expecting to have luck and a carry. The more I play, the more I've realized that teams aren't that much luck. I've carried some teams that I felt did not deserve victory, but that's a very small percentage of matches. There are times when I play my best and do what needs to be done and we lose anyway, but that's still nowhere near 50% of matches. Additionally, if you actually do get put on a team with the shitty players, a loss is much less impactful (though that doesn't show with the "cracking" process, it's still there, while at X rank it's more severe and obvious), and if you manage to lead those ragtag irregulars to victory, you get like twice as many rank points.

Thinking about luck does you absolutely no good anyway. All that matters is whether you are playing at your best. It doesn't matter if you got better scores than half your teammates if it's an average of 3 less kills and 200 less painting points (adjust as needed per map) than your best. But the shift between ranks is not small. Your best may not be good enough. You'll have to learn.

Second point, synergy. Most basic form of this is filling in a gap in a team. Most common gap is someone to take map control. So paint. Paint a lot. Painting not only lets you and your teammates move faster, it both opens and restricts. If you paint and your opponents don't, you basically win. If your opponents also paint, then they would take control if you didn't paint. More advanced synergy possible in solo queue is to check the map whenever you aren't 100% sure what to do next or if what you're doing is the most productive, to try and either stop a lone opponent somewhere (stealth is a strong tool to win fights) or position yourself around a teammate to enable them better. Checking the map quickly and looking around without the map are strong habits to develop.

Now with official localized band name (it's the same):

Chop Screwey

edit: lore from the tumblr:

SashiMori are part of the rising tide of new bands emerging in this post Inklings vs. Octolings world we find ourselves in. They were originally a wall-of-sound style hard rock band, but decided to ditch their domineering singer. Now, the remaining three members—a carp, a cutlassfish, and a scaly-foot—have recruited a 10 year old Octoling DJ (a true genius on the wheels of steel), to form a new band with a new sound, for a new generation.

Chopscrewey, the new track from SashiMori starts with the twin tones of rock melodies and string progressions competing for control of your ears. This group has no vocalist, so any lyrics you hear are samples their young DJ has cut into the track from his collection of ancient vinyl. Then the driving rhythms of the chorus wash over you, and let you know it’s truly Turf War time!

Then we have Entropical, a track featuring bewitching female vocals entwined in endless struggle with scratchy rap lyrics. While these vocals are all comprised of interconnected samples, they offer a different sound than could ever be produced by the vocal cords of sea creatures. Keep an ear out during battle for these two tracks once the next update goes live in early October!

And @rassicas pointed something cool:

"if you were wondering why the voices sounded really clear in the trailer music? this is why"

Last edited:
Ninja squid works best in lower level play where no one pays attention. You'll be much better off in the long run just learning how to approach fights without it. If you're ever having trouble with ninja squids: paint the map. Ninja squid get countered really hard when they don't have any map control and they're super obvious when you see them fumbling around on surfaces that aren't theirs. If you pay close enough attention, you can still see the splashes when they swim around. It's hard to see at first, but you'll be able to notice it better with time.

Man Humpback Tower Control is so good, every match is such a back and forth five minute slug fest. There are so many great places to hide behind and avoid your opponents, but simultaneously the whole thing is wide open so you're always vulnerable to someone else. So many great matches tonight

OK so I finally got around to reading the patch notes and what's all this about?

Splatfest Battle (Normal)

This category can be played solo or as a team of up to 4 friends.
Playing with fewer than four friends will add the appropriate number of other players to your team.
When you select “Continue” or “Change gear and continue!”, you can continue onto the next battle with the same team.
Points for turf inked by individual players are added to the points earned by the team for winning a battle, resulting in a value known as “Clout,” and the side with the most Clout at the end of a Splatfest is the winner.
Clout is not added for battles between the same side.
If the combination of visual look and type of all 4 teammates’ gear/weapons meets certain conditions, a Synergy Bonus is triggered, and you can receive more Splatfest Points or Clout Points when you win.
Teams that meet these conditions are awarded a special team name, which is displayed at the start of a battle.
When you’re on a winning streak, you’re more likely to match with other teams on a winning streak.
When there are multiple teams with the same number of consecutive wins, you’ll be matched with a team as close to your skill level as possible.

Splatfest Battle (Pro)

This category is closer to what you’ve experienced when battling solo in previous Splatfests. Players join battles on their own, and seek to increase their Splatfest Power while putting their turf war skills to the test.
When you win a battle, you increase your own Splatfest Power and receive Clout equal to the opposing team’s approximate Splatfest Power. The side with the most Clout when the Splatfest concludes wins.
Clout is not added for battles between the same side.
Battle participants are chosen from players that are as close in Splatfest Power as possible.
The top 100 players in the Splatfest Power rankings on each side will be displayed on SplatNet 2 in the Splatfest Top 100 list.

I'm not sure which mode I should be playing and if it really makes sense to group up with some people to play the Splatfest.
I know there's the Discord server but will people really be forming groups in there tonight?

Retro vs. Modern, first one with the new points system
I picked Retro, but the last thing I wanted to do was endorse steam punk Ren faire larping.

I just downloaded Octo Expansion (dope so far) and RTTPd after a solid 8 months without playing. New stages are nice, gameplay is great as ever. The intro and stage rotation are still annoying. And I still find too damn many people playing lone wolf. You're level 70-something, don't you know by now to stick with your squids to dominate?

I'm excited for the first Splatfes with the new rules, but I still don't fully get them:
"Points for turf inked by individual players are added to the points earned by the team for winning a battle, resulting in a value known as "Clout," and the side with the most Clout at the end of a Splatfest is the winner."
"When you win a battle, you increase your own Splatfest Power and receive Clout equal to the opposing team's approximate Splatfest Power. The side with the most Clout when the Splatfest concludes wins."
"'10x Battles' and '100x Battles' will now occur randomly, earning players on the winning team a huge boost of Clout for their side."

So, is it possible to win even if you lose most battles as long as you paint the most or defeated teams with higher Splatfest Power? For example, you got fewer victories, but the sum of the ones your team won got you more Clout than the sum of the team with the most wins. Unlikely but possible? Did I get it wrong?

Lol I loved this show! Great minds think alike.
I love this show too <3

Ninja squid works best in lower level play where no one pays attention. You'll be much better off in the long run just learning how to approach fights without it. If you're ever having trouble with ninja squids: paint the map. Ninja squid get countered really hard when they don't have any map control and they're super obvious when you see them fumbling around on surfaces that aren't theirs. If you pay close enough attention, you can still see the splashes when they swim around. It's hard to see at first, but you'll be able to notice it better with time.
I still think it's very viable in high play, specially for how chaotic the battles can get. I'm a Point Sensor user, tho :P

This is incorrect it works on S plus and x players.

I'm not sure which mode I should be playing and if it really makes sense to group up with some people to play the Splatfest.
I know there's the Discord server but will people really be forming groups in there tonight?
Will people be forming groups on the Discord? Absolutely yes. It will be even easier to play with other Era folks and friends now that you can play with variable group sizes and not just either solo or full 4-squad.

As for which mode, if you want to play with friends or just kind of messing around, go with normal. "Pro" battle is essentially solo ranked splatfest, go in on your own to play and take a shot at the leaderboards. From a progression standpoint it sounds like you might get bigger gains for winning games, but way less for losses compared to normal battles.

Hard to say exactly how these changes affecf the grind to King/Queen, as rank progression seems to hinge around clout gain now, rather than the "gain 6-9 points for a win, 2 for loss if you inked enough." Hopefully getting to the end of that is made quicker so people can get out of the grind mindset and enjoy playing the game for the sake of it more.

Regarding the Discord setup what do people typically do for a mic + feedback vs in game audio from your TV?
I'm used to Discord when PC gaming and everything's through my headphone and I have a boom mic but here it will be running on a laptop next to me while I'm in front of the TV.

It's not arrogance, its the truth. I'm an X rank player, but I only consider myself above-average at best. The ranking system is a joke, it doesn't really prove anything other than how competent you are with the basics. Solo queue isn't competitive Splatoon. Anybody who really wants to grind at it can make it to X, all they have to do is put some time into it. If you want to watch people who are actually good at this game, check out some twitch streamers. I recommend competitive players like Kiver, 5hak_, Power, pkfuzzy. And that's just the west, Japan has a plethora of amazing players who stream on OpenRec. Those are the dudes that are actually good at this game, I'm just a dude who likes to watch competitive Splatoon.

I only say ninja squid isn't a good ability because you just don't see it used in competitive settings anymore. People have adapted to the point where its hardly effective against people who pay attention and use callouts. It's not useless, but it's not useful in actual high level play. There's no communication in solo queue outside of spamming "booyah" and "ouch", so of course something like ninja squid works better there. If you're going to take offense to that then ignore me and move on.

Ninja squid really isn't that good, to be honest. I guess it depends how you're using it. If you're using it for micro spacing mind games in 1v1s it's kinda decent, but I don't think you should be using it as a substitute for learning proper positioning.

Aware players can figure out where you are by looking at how the map is painted. Generally, all of the routes back to mid are pretty easy to telegraph. If somebody managed a successful flank or something, it's because they were positioned well or caught someone unaware, and ninja squid doesn't really help with that. Furthermore, swimming with ninja squid still leaves a trail and you can also hear them if they're not moving because it makes a bubbling sound if someone is in ink near you. It's not the worst ability I guess, but it was better before the nerf when it wasn't so gear dependent.

The issue with ninja squid is that it's theoretically designed for sharking but 90% of the time it's better to just stay in place and wait, in which case you don't need ninja squid. I think it can be used effectively but I wouldn't pick it over anything else personally. If I'm using a roller or something and trying to focus on sharking behind enemy lines I would pick ink resistance over it

But I'm a weirdo who runs thermal ink all the time, so I'm probably just crazy

It's not arrogance, its the truth. I'm an X rank player, but I only consider myself above-average at best. The ranking system is a joke, it doesn't really prove anything other than how competent you are with the basics. Solo queue isn't competitive Splatoon. Anybody who really wants to grind at it can make it to X, all they have to do is put some time into it. If you want to watch people who are actually good at this game, check out some twitch streamers. I recommend competitive players like Kiver, 5hak_, Power, pkfuzzy. And that's just the west, Japan has a plethora of amazing players who stream on OpenRec. Those are the dudes that are actually good at this game, I'm just a dude who likes to watch competitive Splatoon.

I only say ninja squid isn't a good ability because you just don't see it used in competitive settings anymore. People have adapted to the point where its hardly effective against people who pay attention and use callouts. It's not useless, but it's not useful in actual high level play. There's no communication in solo queue outside of spamming "booyah" and "ouch", so of course something like ninja squid works better there. If you're going to take offense to that then ignore me and move on.
That's what I like about Splatoon though, you don't need godly reflexes as long as you have a basic competency level. It's more about thinking it all through.

4/3 start on this splatfest for 1897 Power, all Pro matches. Shifty Station stays winning, but I also really just wish I was playing Monster Hunter right now.

This is a weird, awkward Shifty Station. It's amusing for the sake of seeing so many people just fall and die, but I can't say it's a particularly good map and there's a lot of very awkward things about it.

I'm also not a huge fan of how they randomly changed the ranking system for Splatfest...seemingly by just multiplying everything by a factor of ten for no real reason, so it doesn't seem to actually speed up the grind unless you hit on a good synergy bonus.
On the bright side, playing until champion so far, our team won all three of our 10x battles. Nice job coming through in the clutch, Manny, Needham, and Xkilldozer!