Splatoon 2 |OT| HIGHTIDE ERA IS THE BEST

It seems like the grind to royalty is much worse than before... I'm only getting 60 points per victory and that's probably because I can't get a streak going...

Got to Retro Queen with an awful 20-20 record. I think it's about time to retire from Splatoon 2.

Last edited:
Interesting changes to the Splatfest. Got lucky? My first match was a 10x battle, individually was mediocre but my team carried me to victory. Won 6/7 of my first battles to calculate me: 2211.5 power and 24960 clout. Its 1:21AM and I am not feeling sharp on the battlefield for an 8th match, time to go to bed while I still have my dignity :)

This is getting depressing... might need to put the game down for awhile. Loss after loss. I'm pretty solid at ranked, but I can't win at Turf War at all. I spent all day yesterday practicing, applying expert advice, and grinded the hell out of chunks to get my ideal equipment (not quite there, but getting closer).

At this point, I honestly can't tell if it's my fault or if I'm really unlucky with team mates. Even at my worst, I always ink at least 800 pts, but consistently get 1000 to 1100. I make great use of my specials, and always call out everything. My aim isn't the greatest at close quarters, but it's getting better now that I maxed out my right stick sensitivity.

It wasn't super bad yesterday, but this and the last several Splatfests have just been the worst. Not even close matches, but complete team wipes.

Anyone got advice? I'm really struggling here. Lol

Really dumb question - getting back into Splatoon after quite a while and I noticed I can no longer DJ in the lobby between matches? Did that get removed, or is it a glitch? Or maybe removed for the Splatfest? Thanks!

First 10x match...

And I lose! Of course I do. This game has a cruel tendency to never let anything good happen. Because why would it?

If you can't sell I am salty as fuck. Had another complete wipe afterwards and I'm sure I won't win again for a good 10 matches or so.

I'm still unclear on the differences between normal and pro mode, is it just the power rating? I'm assuming 100x battles are only in pro mode as well? It's weird because it's effectively the same thing. I'm guessing it's to mix up how they tally Splatfest results so that there's a higher likelihood of not having both be for the same team every time.

My second match was a 100x battle and we won, woo. I like the added news ticker for that, I had my fifteen minutes of Splatoon 2 fame. I went for team retro, but truthfully I'm hoping that Marina wins this one, she deserves it. I'm seeing more 100x wins by team modern so maybe she's finally due for it.

The Shifty Station gimmick this time around is pretty simple, but effective. I really liked the added bouncy mobility.

Also, I snagged myself a LAN adapter and also made some home internet changes. My old setup was resulting in packet loss that I was ignorantly unaware of for a while. Between eliminating that and going with an ethernet connection on my Switch, my hit reg has become so much better. I might be able to branch out of something other than dualies now. I've been giving the Ballpoint Splatling a spin and it's been pretty effective.

Really dumb question - getting back into Splatoon after quite a while and I noticed I can no longer DJ in the lobby between matches? Did that get removed, or is it a glitch? Or maybe removed for the Splatfest? Thanks!
From what I've noticed that's only the case for the lobby in normal mode, if you select pro mode you can do your music mixing as usual. Dunno why that's the case.

It seems like the grind to royalty is much worse than before... I'm only getting 60 points per victory and that's probably because I can't get a streak going...

Got to Retro Queen with an awful 20-20 record. I think it's about time to retire from Splatoon 2.
Awful? Retire?! For breaking even? Matchmaking is just doing a good job there, don't sweat it so much.

Last edited:
The pro mode seems to be identical to the regular solo splatfest outside of the random stake bonus, but what's with the regular solo lobby? There's checkmarks and it shows your weapon instead of your level.

The pro mode seems to be identical to the regular solo splatfest outside of the random stake bonus, but what's with the regular solo lobby? There's checkmarks and it shows your weapon instead of your level.
Regular solo seems to be how Splatfests worked in the first Splatoon, where you join a team of 4 and stay with that team until your or they quit. I don't think there's a way to change your gear on the lobby screen, however.

Regular is a lot more fun I think. The old splatfests and pro now base your starting power off your ranked mode ranks, so if you're S and above you're always up against pretty hardcore players, but regular doesn't really matchmake as far as I can tell, so you can just have fun and splat some fools.
Anyone else think online play is generally smoother and less laggy since NSO came in? Might just be the placebo effect, but it just seems better to me.

Regular is a lot more fun I think. The old splatfests and pro now base your starting power off your ranked mode ranks, so if you're S and above you're always up against pretty hardcore players, but regular doesn't really matchmake as far as I can tell, so you can just have fun and splat some fools.
Anyone else think online play is generally smoother and less laggy since NSO came in? Might just be the placebo effect, but it just seems better to me.
The paywall certainly might have driven out a bunch of people with bad connections, but I find it takes a noticeably longer amount of time to find a match now.

I think in regular it matches you with players on a similar streak to yours, so if you're on a 3 win streak it tries to match you with another team on a 3 win streak.

Well Splatfests are still garbage, turf war is no longer a fun mode for me and the changes they've made to the system still seem meaningless. It would have been nice if the normal and pro modes had different rotations so there was more of a reason to play both. At least the Off the Hook music is still as good as ever

The paywall certainly might have driven out a bunch of people with bad connections, but I find it takes a noticeably longer amount of time to find a match now.
I think in the Splatfest's case it's also because they basically split the playerbase down the middle. Squad battles of yore were much less populated due to the need to get 4. Now that they're replaced by Regular battles, you're seeing more of a split.

I tried right before the Splatfest started and matched as quickly as usual to a battle.

This is getting depressing... might need to put the game down for awhile. Loss after loss. I'm pretty solid at ranked, but I can't win at Turf War at all. I spent all day yesterday practicing, applying expert advice, and grinded the hell out of chunks to get my ideal equipment (not quite there, but getting closer).

At this point, I honestly can't tell if it's my fault or if I'm really unlucky with team mates. Even at my worst, I always ink at least 800 pts, but consistently get 1000 to 1100. I make great use of my specials, and always call out everything. My aim isn't the greatest at close quarters, but it's getting better now that I maxed out my right stick sensitivity.

It wasn't super bad yesterday, but this and the last several Splatfests have just been the worst. Not even close matches, but complete team wipes.

Anyone got advice? I'm really struggling here. Lol
I usually win about 75% of my turf war matches so can give a little advice. Btw my wins dont really come because I am very physically skilled (reaction time, aim accuracy, etc) but from strategy and being evasive/annoying.

1. Stay alive at all costs. If you feel pressured back up and wait for more teammates to join you. Being a coward is a totally viable strategy :)

2. Pick a great turf war weapon. I like ones that paint well but can pick up easy assists or kills. Gold aerospray is decent for painting, starting weapon is good, some rollers, etc. Depends on your playstyle.

3. Be annoying, confuse the enemy. Like I said I am not physically gifted but I am a very confusing and annoying player for enemies. I rarely take enemies head on, I almost always prefer to ambush. Unless I have a baller ready with 2 mains of special up ;)

4. Check map often when in safety. Learning to peek quickly at your map is very useful. I like to anticipate where enemies are going and head them off.

5. Learn choke points on each map. Every new map that comes out I struggle until learning the best spots.

6. Support your team mates. I think of it sometimes as babysitting. Sometimes your teammates are good, sometimes bad. If you stay close to them you can get easy kills from them OR have a chance to save their life which keeps your overall team numbers up and helps prevent team collapse.

7. STAY ALIVE AT ALL TIMES OF POSSIBLE. INTELLIGENTLY RETREAT! SERIOUSLY!

8. If your team wipes jump back to spawn. Unless you have baller/storm/special near a choke point and want to buy time for your team to return to midpoint on map, then you can try to hold and sacrifice yourself for map control. Results may vary.

9. Identify the best player/players for enemy team and focus on splatting them again and again. Sometimes a team wrecked me until I realized their sniper or something was the best, then when I focus on splatting them the enemy team collapses without them.

10. Watch the pros on Twitch or YouTube to learn from them, steal their movies. ThatSRB2Dude is good, Fuzzy is good, Kiver too. Try to learn the pro meta.

Hope any of this helps.

I can’t play two matches in a row for the life of me. The first match goes off without a hitch, but then when I’m thrown back in the lobby we wait, and wait, and then it says something about not finding a team. Back to the menu. Every time! It could be my connection but it’s never done this before:(

I do like this new format, but I’m not a fan of the shifty station map this time. Go team modern (and Marina)!

Very nice plays. Let them know who's boss ^_^

Also: OMFG. May have just played 5 straight matches on "normal" Splatfest with my favourite group of random teammates ever. Our comp was solid with 1 Gold aerospray, 1 Kensa Splat Dualies, 1 N-Zap, 1 Neo Splash-o-matic. Our lvls were 42, 34, 15* and 28*. For 5 blissful matches in a row we always found a way to win even against impossible odds. I knew we were strong after our first game together but game 3 we played against a 14× winstreak team and somehow gutted out a last second close victory. Then our 5th and last game was a 10× battle so I was pumped, unfortunately 1 of our team mates DC'd early and I thought NOPE, our golden time was over... until us last 3 players collectively went nuts on Shifty Station and just wrecked the enemy. After that I screamed out loud like an idiot, ran around my front room whooping and dancing. So excited my hands started shaking. I then got nervous and quit while I was ahead (also because we had lost one of our precious original team members) but not before sending each one of them a friend request.

Sometimes this game makes me saltier than the Ocean, but God damn when it's good there is no game I love better :D

Seems like it plays any time the rotation has Grizzco weapons(but not during "known occurrences"). Note that you don't need to get an actual Grizzco weapon in that wave for it to play, it just has to be a rotation where you can get one.

Man who the fuck came up with this Shifty Station. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's funny to watch squids repeatedly jump to their deaths, but this place is camp city. Slow and difficult to use jump pad+one central tower with easy firing lanes to every possible vector of approach means retaking center requires an extreme combination of luck, skill, and coordination.

This Shifty Station is trash, worst one by far

I went 17-16 oops sorry Modern friends

But this was one of the more enjoyable Splatfests because I could team up with my friend through all of it thanks to the new rules. Had a lot of fun despite the struggles out there.

Hope any of this helps.
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to bookmark this post, and start watching those videos next chance I get. I've been S/S+ in all ranked game types since around level 25, so I can't be that bad. Lol Turf War really needs a different mindset for higher level play.

I'd like to believe my team support is on point. I'm not an aggressive player; preferring mid to mid-long weapons that can out range most weapons even with just chip damage or just limiting their movement for my teammates. My favorite weapon for ranked is the Forge Splattershot Pro; the bubbles are surprisingly effective in everything but Clam Blitz. Jet Squelcher is my backup if I want more range, and the Jet Squelcher Custom for Tower Control. The Jet Squelcher has given me the best results so far in Turf War, which isn't saying much. I'll start trying out Turf War-suited weapons, but, I gotta say, short range weapons make me nervous. I hate knowing that everybody out-ranges me, and I tend to freak out with my aiming when close up.

I also focus hard on staying alive. I have a high-level Halo background, so that explains why ranked feels easy to me. In Turf War, I'm constantly be jumped by rollers, brushes, and dualies. Almost always with Ninja Squid and mostly from behind. However, there's been plenty of times where they'll charge me head on, and somehow I'll miss every shot. Lol the Dynamo Rollers really get under my skin. Dualie Squelchers also give me problems; it feels like I can't out range them even with my Jet Squelchers. I tried using the Dualie Squelchers, but can't figure out how people get so good with them.

I think you're right about watching my map and choke points though. That's probably what's making my roller/brush problem so bad. I honestly try to be aware of them when I can, but I can tell I'm not doing it nearly enough. Voice chat in Halo made this so much easier to coordinate with teammates over.

Here's my ability goal for reference: main ink saver/swim speed/special charge for my mains, then 3 special power/3 walking speed/3 ink resistance for my sub abilities. I figured this would give me a good balance without getting hit too hard with diminishing returns. I've also contemplated having a piece with stealth jump and 3 subs for ink saver sub (I've been loving splats, suctions, and mist lately).

Last edited:
Awful? Retire?! For breaking even? Matchmaking is just doing a good job there, don't sweat it so much.
Nah, I guess I'm going through some stuff now which makes it very difficult to concentrate on/enjoy the Splatfests and it's been that way for a few months now. Might be burnt out on the game seeing how I've been playing since launch.

I played a few matches yesterday for the first time in a while and had a good time, but I found that Splatfests are much more fun if you don't worry about getting to royalty. I went all the way in every Splatoon 1 fest and the first few in 2. But then in one fest I saw that 99-point climb to royalty, thought about how I didn't really need the snails anyway and that it would be a slog and not fun at all to get there and decided to end my royalty streak. Since then I just play how much I want and stop, and it's much more enjoyable.

That's good advice and I might try it next Splatfest instead of retiring completely. I am constantly stressing myself out about getting to royalty ASAP so I can move on to other things, without sparing a thought for whether I will ever start using the 300+ snails I've accumulated in the last year or so. Similarly I've found myself grinding to fill up ability chunks on ugly gear that I have no intention on using in the future.

... Man I have some serious underlying issues.

Oh snap? Modern won? Working on homework now, so I'll check the breakdown later. I honestly thought modern would get wrecked considering how tough matches against Retro were and how many modern vs modern matches I played. To be fair, I had an awful 2-10 in pro mode, but did much better after switching to normal mode and winning most of those matches.

Of course I lost my first Splatfest after returning to the game.

Of course, after using my one and only 1.5xp food ticket, I manage a string of 7 losses in a row.

Of course.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh